Any advice would be much appreciated - 3.58 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA, 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HersheLayton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to know what if anyone could help me decide what a good list of schools would be for applications, and how decent you think my chances are.

I'm a Nevada resident

I know my GPA isn't as strong as I'd like to be at 3.58 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA

I have 3 C's on my transcript

I took the mcat twice, last July I got a 25 (PS 8 VR 8 BS 9) and
this past January i retook it and got a 32 (PS 12 VR 10 BS 10)

I have three years experience as a tutor at an elementary school and as a teacher for homeless children at a shelter

I also volunteered at a hospital for two years in high school with 250+ hours (don't know if that is t00 old to be acknowledged?) as well as for the past two years at another hospital which I am currently still with.

Started shadowing last summer and went on and off. Still doing it now about once a week.

No lab research but I worked with a doctor last summer and we published a clinical research poster that was on display at the ACG 2011 Annual Scientific Meeting in D.C

Last but not least I have been a part of the American Medical Student Association for the past three years, the last year of which I have been a humanitarian officer.

Not sure how the package is overall but any feedback would be fantastic. Tips for allopathic schools that allow a more generous percentage of out of state matriculants close to my scores would be much appreciated! So far some general schools I'm looking at listed below. I know some (or a lot) might be out of reach but I plan to apply broadly and am open to all suggestions. Thanks :)

University of Nevada School of Medicine
USC Keck
Creighton
Loma Linda
Chicago Medical
Drexel
St. Louis University
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Tulane
New York Medical
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Vermont
Albany Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia

Rochester
Boston
OHSU
Brown
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth

Overall your list is not bad. A few suggestions:

WVU and OHSU are not OOS-friendly and I would consider removing them.

A large percentage of the incoming class at Brown comes from their BS/MD program and so there aren't many spots for regular applicants. It's up to you if it's still worth applying.

Loma Linda has a lifestyle contract that you should be familiar with and comfortable with before applying.

A few suggestions: If you are looking at CMS (RFU), I would also look into Loyola and Rush. From what I've heard, Arizona intends to start accepting a much larger percentage of OOS students in the near future so that might be worth looking into as well if you want to stay in that part of the country.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The school list looks good. You can definitely include significant high school activities as well
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone could help me decide what a good list of schools would be for applications, and how decent you think my chances are.

I'm a Nevada resident

I know my GPA isn't as strong as I'd like to be at 3.58 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA

I have 3 C's on my transcript

I took the mcat twice, last July I got a 25 (PS 8 VR 8 BS 9) and
this past January i retook it and got a 32 (PS 12 VR 10 BS 10)

I have three years experience as a tutor at an elementary school and as a teacher for homeless children at a shelter

I also volunteered at a hospital for two years in high school with 250+ hours (don't know if that is too old to be acknowledged?) as well as for the past two years at another hospital which I am currently still with.

Started shadowing last summer and went on and off. Still doing it now about once a week.

No lab research but I worked with a doctor last summer and we published a clinical research poster that was on display at the ACG 2011 Annual Scientific Meeting in D.C

Last but not least I have been a part of the American Medical Student Association for the past three years, the last year of which I have been a humanitarian officer.

Not sure how the package is overall but any feedback would be fantastic. Tips for allopathic schools that allow a more generous percentage of out of state matriculants close to my scores would be much appreciated! So far some general schools I'm looking at listed below. I know some (or a lot) might be out of reach but I plan to apply broadly and am open to all suggestions. Thanks :)

University of Nevada School of Medicine
USC Keck
Creighton
Loma Linda
Chicago Medical
Drexel
St. Louis University
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Tulane
New York Medical
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Vermont
Albany Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia

Rochester
Boston
OHSU
Brown
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth

Wayne State has a strong in-state preference, so unless you have a good answer to why you want to come to Detroit, you might not want to apply there.

Wayne State has a strong in-state preference, so unless you have a good answer to why you want to come to Detroit, you might not want to apply there.
I didn't realize it was so strong, but since you mentioned it I will definitely look into that!

My father did residency at Wayne State, don't know if that helps at all or not?

I didn't realize it was so strong, but since you mentioned it I will definitely look into that!

My father did residency at Wayne State, don't know if that helps at all or not?
Well last year, the in-state matriculates were over 77% of the class. If you can give a good reason why you would want to come to Detroit, and why you would want to stay in the area after graduating, you probably have a decent chance, but if you just selected Wayne based on the numbers and have no real desire to live in Michigan/the Detroit area, they might not seriously consider you. I have no idea whether the fact that your father was a resident at Wayne will help you, it could, or it might not, I don't know. It probably depends on whether he has any contacts at the med school still, whether anyone will say "oh, your father is Dr. so-and-so? I remember when he was an intern!" Either way, good luck!

Bump one last time for any other input. I got an MSAR and was checking that out. If anyone has any schools they think I should add, lemme know!!

We have somewhat similar stats. Yours are a bit higher, but close enough that some of the schools I looked at could be helpful to you.

Here are some potential schools to add:

RFU
EVMS
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Arizona - Tuscon
University of Arizona - Phoenix
Oakland
Rush
University of Toledo
University of Cincinnati
University of Louisville
University of Minnesota - Daluth
Hofstra

I would also remove West Virginia as someone stated and add EVMS instead.