any advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by postbacinit, Nov 21, 2001.

1. postbacinit

postbacinit Junior Member

I have several questions about the best attack to med school.
    First, how important is a heavy course load? I was planning to work FT as a RN and take 1-2 premed courses a semester. However,a med school admissions person told me I should stop working and take FT classes.
    Also, is it important to take some of the extra classes discussed on this forum, eg. Genetics, Histology...
    Lastly, the med guy told me I should take a math class since it has been a long time. I had Calculus I and II in high school as dual credit classes, and Statistics in college. This is all approximately 8 years ago. Does anyone have suggestions of a math class I can take. I will also be taking Chem II, Physic I, and Genetics next semester.
    I also think the guy I met with was crazy!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alice

alice Senior Member

There is no advantage to keeping working unless you need the money. The schools have seen people do postbac programs enough that they don't expect you to work and do the classes. Take Calc - at least a few schools require you to take some calculus in college and a year of math total - regardless of what you took in HS. One semester of something like stats is OK. Forget Genetics, Histo, Anatomy, etc. You'll learn it in Med School and you don't want to waste time and money taking them now. They might have been helpful were you still in undergrad to give you an edge in year 1 of med school, but at this point, would be a waste of time. I know quite a few people who are doing the postbac stuff and it's a lot of work to take all those classes together. You need to do well in them and working if you don't have to could be a distraction.

4. postbacinit

Working would be nice for the money but the most important thing is to get in to med school. The reason I was going to take Genetics is to have a FT load. I don't have many prereqs left (I took quite a few when I was an undergrad) and I was told I should take a FT load. I have college credit (through HS) in Calc I and II and got A's in them the first time. Are you suggesting I retake Calc I?

5. Tennessee_Tuxedo

Tennessee_Tuxedo Junior Member

By all means, try to take as heavy a course load as you can. I'm a postbac also, and when I applied to schools last year (after having been a full time employee and a part time student), the adcom at my state school told me that I likely would have gotten in had I taken a full slate of classes. Med schools want to know that you can handle all of the information that's being thrown at you. I took their advice (went part time at work and full time as a student) and now feel that I'm a much more competitive candidate.

6. drdrtoledo

drdrtoledo Pharm Delicious

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi postbacinit,
    Do you have a BSN? If you have the BS there is no point in taking upper-level courses, your courses from nursing school should be enough. The point of the postbac is really to show them you can handle the coursework. Some of them are 1 year long. So if you can handle the loss of income I suggest you go all out. Take anatomy and histology if you can... those will just make med school easier. Some type of psych class would also be beneficial. I wish you the best of luck. I love to see fellow health care providers take a chance to go on!
    drdrtoledo Pharm.D. Rph

7. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member

postbacinit- I would definitely suggest that you take calc. many schools want one or two semesters of College math (one being Calc I, at least) and they do not except advanced high school credit. If you had advanced credit they expect that you should be taking the next level of math higher than your advanced standing- if you have calc I and II, then take multi-variable calc. But, check with you post bac advisors- because I have known to have been wrong at least once or twice.

And FT is the way to go, if you can afford it.

Good luck to you....

8. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have found that most schools will accept AP credit for things like Calculus, if your undergrad school accepted the credits and they appear on your transcript. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but how many times are you going to be doing a double integral in med school? The calc requirement seems a bit silly to me. I suppose it could be important for statistical data in research...

I've worked full time while taking my pre-med classes, and I had significantly more classes to take than you, it sounds like. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it just might take you a bit longer.

9. postbacinit

Yes I do have a BSN. My Calulus classes do show up on my transcripts because they were dual credit, meaning that they were through a local community college. I had a total of 24 hours when I first started at UF as an undergrad through DC classes. Thanks for all the help through the responses. I'm finding that studentdoctor is a great and friendly place. Thanks.