Any advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new here. I decided to go to medical school not a long time ago, but I have almost all classes what I need...I want to take MCAT next April, the question is when I have to start to prepare to MCAT? What are the good books and courses of preparation that you can recommend?
I am combined B.A./CS->M.S./IS major from the Pace U of New York. How Medical Schools will look on my major?

I need an Advice!!! :confused:

Thank you :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi and welcome,

I would suggest you do a search on the message for MCAT prep. You will find loads of advice. Aside from that I would suggest you start studying whenever you can. If you do a passage per day for a long time it will become old hat to you. Practice makes perfect.

Now realistically most people start either in Nov with Kaplan courses or in jan with the second wave of Kaplan courses. That is if you deceide to take a Kaplan course. If you are a great test taker, you don't need Kaplan. I took it for the verbal sections and the test taking tips. Try to set a certain time of the day to study MCAT stuff. Get into a routine.

You can buy the big Kaplan book in any book store. It covers all sections and includes all the info that you get if you take the Kaplan classes. It is a GREAT SOURCE to study. And Do NOT buy the Barron's MCAT prep books. There are So many mistakes.

Good luck

With regards to your major, I have a BA in computer science, and I've been accepted. So long as you do well on the MCAT and have a decent GPA (especially for the pre-med classes), it really makes no difference what you major in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, take advantage of the sample full-length MCATs provided by the AAMC. AAMC IV and V were pretty close to the actual MCAT when I took it (Aug.2000). Ditto on Amy's recommedation for Kaplan. I took it and did well because of it (despite being a lousy standardized test-taker).

One more thing Taty...you might get more/better/immediate responses to your questions if you're more specific in your Topic. "Need advice on MCAT prep?" might have been better--and may save you from future reproach! Hope this helps.

me ke aloha pumehana

hey analu, in reference to your last post, you said that you were a lousy standardized test taker, nevertheless were able to do well on the mcat with the help of kaplan. is it true that there is a correlation between SAT scores and MCAT scores? If you dont mind me asking, how did you do on both?

Thank in advance

Nutter, took SAT looooong time ago...I think I scored ~1200--not bad, but not great. Didn't prep much for SAT though, but studied my a$$ for the MCAT. Never liked multiple choice--with essay, you can at least B.S. your way into partial credit! :D