any advise about URGENT CARE?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by artvandale, Dec 22, 2008.

1. artvandale

Resident [Any Field]
    I was hoping anybody who has worked in or is hoping to go into Urgent Care has some advice about it, specifically with...

- whats the best residency training for it: FM, IM, or EM
    - is urgent care employment options available in urban/big city settings?
    - is the patient population really as diverse as it seems on paper?
    - any downsides/negatives/regrets to working in an urgent care center?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

2. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would not recommend Urgent Care, it is full of the most annoying visits that you get in the office -- and what is critical, you cannot fix and you have to send to the ER... MI, CHF, COPD, Fracture Hip, etc....
    The pay is not very lucrative at all, something like $65 dollars per hour to start, no bonuses.
    Some people enjoy this sort of medicine, I just think ohhhhhhh man not another sore throat :confused:
    No you cannot have an antibiotic for a viral illness for the billionth time :sleep:

3. Joe Richards

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

• The BEST training for urgent care is Family Medicine without a doubt.
    • There are many options available in urban and big city settings
    • Yes
    • Yes, it can get very busy and sometimes boring.

4. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I absolutely love procedural work, and Urgent Care offers plenty of that.. and UC docs with seniority (2-5 years out) all easily make over $200 K.... but you have to start at the bottom ... so you really have to enjoy it thoroughly to do it full time..
    I just got burned out by the volume, then again that is probably geographical, some places you may see 16-20 per day, others 35-50.. I was seeing in excess of forty in 7-8 hour shifts, but they were all acute.. so not very challenging usually..
    It certainly is not an easy field at some locations, but certainly its a bonus with lifestyle and money taken into consideration...
    I agree totally FM is the best training for UC -- IM/Peds docs also do UC, that are burned out by private practice.