Any African-American Pre-Dents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lion87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
? just wanted to converse. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im here to represent to. Can't wait until december 1st.

great to see you guys!!!. Just wanted to encourage everyone to keep on striving to your goals. we all know that there is a disproportionate amount of african american health-care providers. where are you all from? have you had any/all your interviews? I'm representing "the bottom" (south florida!!!:laugh:) just waiting for Dec. 1st myself!!

/

Last edited:
^^I hope not, because then everyone will just look at us and be like 'oh you only got in b/c you're URM'. Um no, I got in because I'm qualified thanks. (also it's "leeway" not "leanway")

^^I hope not, because then everyone will just look at us and be like 'oh you only got in b/c you're URM'. Um no, I got in because I'm qualified thanks. (also it's "leeway" not "leanway")
You took the words right out of my mouth, that's the right attitude! :thumbup:

very smart answer, your good prospective. more people should want this and view it this way!

Yes...i second that..

I'm white, but my mom's South African. Don't know if that qualifies, but thought I'd throw it out there

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm white, but my mom's South African. Don't know if that qualifies, but thought I'd throw it out there

I believe you qualify since you are a descendant of your mother who is South African. A true African-American. Unfortunatley, I am unsure if you are/will be accepted as such since the hipocracy of society tends to think/accept those that are black as African-American and no other color.

Perplexing I know.

What's the big deal?

Oh, and just to stay on topic I'm actually Canadian but my mom's from Cameroon and my dad's from Nigeria.

Last edited:
What's the big deal?

Oh, and just to stay on topic I'm actually Canadian but my mom's from Cameroon and my dad's from Nigeria.
The big deal is if african americans expect to be given handouts based on their race and not their qualifications, this will cause resentment by other students, less respect, less trust as a clinician as the word gets out that so and so applicants just get in because of their color and must have graduated on those terms as well. It just gives the race a bad rap.

The days of affirmitive action should be over, disadvantaged should be based on your background. I would call a financially burdened kid who was homeless and abused disadvantaged, not someone that just thinks because of their skin color need to be entitled to certain things.

We got a Black present now, that should say something about how things change, and no I am not white, and yes I have great respect for african americans. The most of those who dont try to use the race card every time they screw up or feel entitled to something. My roomate is black, and he comes from a family of 8 siblings, mother and father worked as office cleaner and factor in that order. I never heard him or his siblings use the race card or want a handout based on their race. FYI, he and his siblings all ended up graduating from college and are in careers such as law, PT, Docs, and the list goes on. They accomplished their goals based on effort. I think their views on things and how they carry themselves and where they came from to what they accomplished makes me respect this family so dearly...

On a lighter note African Americans. Which school do you think is better Howard or Meharry?

The big deal is if african americans expect to be given handouts based on their race and not their qualifications, this will cause resentment by other students, less respect, less trust as a clinician as the word gets out that so and so applicants just get in because of their color and must have graduated on those terms as well. It just gives the race a bad rap.

Well sure, if they're unqualified for the position that they were offered. But if they are then it's all fair game in my book.

I just submitted my AADSAS app on Friday. What are my chances for interviews? Howard, Meharry, UCONN, Tufts, LSU, UTENN, USC...

I just submitted my AADSAS app on Friday. What are my chances for interviews? Howard, Meharry, UCONN, Tufts, LSU, UTENN, USC...
There's always a chance, but your stats need to be diamond applying this late in the cycle. I assume they are, by the look at some of the schools you have listed. Just make the best of whatever interview offers you do receive. (You only need 1 acceptance!) Best of luck.

On a lighter note African Americans. Which school do you think is better Howard or Meharry?

Howard..I say this just because I think Howard is a more well known HBC thats respected more by non- African Americans.

I'm here! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out here lol!

My Stats TS20, GC21, OC20, Bio18, Rc18, PAT15, AADSAS cumulative 3.1, science 3.4. I have several years of research experience in different labs (maybe 5 or 6) since 2002. I know my DAT score is low, and I am applying extremely late.... I really just wanna get in somewhere guys. ANY FEEDBACK? :(

Post this in a new thread

where has everyone decided to go??? im just wondering where my fellow african american counterparts will be next fall...

University of North Carolina School of Dentistry!!! Soo excited!! :D