About the Ads

Maregbe1

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Im here to represent to. Can't wait until december 1st.

Lion87

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
great to see you guys!!!. Just wanted to encourage everyone to keep on striving to your goals. we all know that there is a disproportionate amount of african american health-care providers. where are you all from? have you had any/all your interviews? I'm representing "the bottom" (south florida!!!:laugh:) just waiting for Dec. 1st myself!!

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
/

Last edited:

^^I hope not, because then everyone will just look at us and be like 'oh you only got in b/c you're URM'. Um no, I got in because I'm qualified thanks. (also it's "leeway" not "leanway")

TeethandGums

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
^^I hope not, because then everyone will just look at us and be like 'oh you only got in b/c you're URM'. Um no, I got in because I'm qualified thanks. (also it's "leeway" not "leanway")
You took the words right out of my mouth, that's the right attitude! :thumbup:

bipolardoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
very smart answer, your good prospective. more people should want this and view it this way!

MrLebowski

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm white, but my mom's South African. Don't know if that qualifies, but thought I'd throw it out there

Last edited:
About the Ads

rdhdds1

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm white, but my mom's South African. Don't know if that qualifies, but thought I'd throw it out there

I believe you qualify since you are a descendant of your mother who is South African. A true African-American. Unfortunatley, I am unsure if you are/will be accepted as such since the hipocracy of society tends to think/accept those that are black as African-American and no other color.

Perplexing I know.

dinostars

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental

What's the big deal?

Oh, and just to stay on topic I'm actually Canadian but my mom's from Cameroon and my dad's from Nigeria.

Last edited:

bipolardoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
What's the big deal?

Oh, and just to stay on topic I'm actually Canadian but my mom's from Cameroon and my dad's from Nigeria.
The big deal is if african americans expect to be given handouts based on their race and not their qualifications, this will cause resentment by other students, less respect, less trust as a clinician as the word gets out that so and so applicants just get in because of their color and must have graduated on those terms as well. It just gives the race a bad rap.

The days of affirmitive action should be over, disadvantaged should be based on your background. I would call a financially burdened kid who was homeless and abused disadvantaged, not someone that just thinks because of their skin color need to be entitled to certain things.

We got a Black present now, that should say something about how things change, and no I am not white, and yes I have great respect for african americans. The most of those who dont try to use the race card every time they screw up or feel entitled to something. My roomate is black, and he comes from a family of 8 siblings, mother and father worked as office cleaner and factor in that order. I never heard him or his siblings use the race card or want a handout based on their race. FYI, he and his siblings all ended up graduating from college and are in careers such as law, PT, Docs, and the list goes on. They accomplished their goals based on effort. I think their views on things and how they carry themselves and where they came from to what they accomplished makes me respect this family so dearly...

dinostars

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
The big deal is if african americans expect to be given handouts based on their race and not their qualifications, this will cause resentment by other students, less respect, less trust as a clinician as the word gets out that so and so applicants just get in because of their color and must have graduated on those terms as well. It just gives the race a bad rap.

Well sure, if they're unqualified for the position that they were offered. But if they are then it's all fair game in my book.

HOPE2009

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I just submitted my AADSAS app on Friday. What are my chances for interviews? Howard, Meharry, UCONN, Tufts, LSU, UTENN, USC...

TeethandGums

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I just submitted my AADSAS app on Friday. What are my chances for interviews? Howard, Meharry, UCONN, Tufts, LSU, UTENN, USC...
There's always a chance, but your stats need to be diamond applying this late in the cycle. I assume they are, by the look at some of the schools you have listed. Just make the best of whatever interview offers you do receive. (You only need 1 acceptance!) Best of luck.

About the Ads

Doctor Pretty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Nunya
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
On a lighter note African Americans. Which school do you think is better Howard or Meharry?

Howard..I say this just because I think Howard is a more well known HBC thats respected more by non- African Americans.

Andre3k

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
My Stats TS20, GC21, OC20, Bio18, Rc18, PAT15, AADSAS cumulative 3.1, science 3.4. I have several years of research experience in different labs (maybe 5 or 6) since 2002. I know my DAT score is low, and I am applying extremely late.... I really just wanna get in somewhere guys. ANY FEEDBACK? :(

Post this in a new thread

tdubs

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2009
Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
where has everyone decided to go??? im just wondering where my fellow african american counterparts will be next fall...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.