Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

any african americans accepted

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by apple638, Jul 10, 2001.

1. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just wanted to know if any african americans were accepted into any of the osteopathic medical schools.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bluphilosopher

10+ Year Member

Here's one :D

From your profile, I see you are going to attend LECOM. i.e. your about to become a true blue ethnic pioneer. (Erie, Pa isn't exactly the most diverse city in the world.)
    Me I'm going to PCOM.
    Since we both will probably join POMA we might bump into each other.

In good faith,
    bluphilosopher
    PCOM 2005

4. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    sounds good to me. make sure that you keep in touch. you can email anytime.

5. Brennan

Brennan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure about my school...WVSOM in west virginia......we are not a very diverse state, only about a 1% african american population...but im sure they would be welcomed with open arms and should apply...it is a great school and if anyone would like info on it just email me ([email protected]), the school ([email protected]) or call the school (1-800-356-7836 ext 232)

6. bbwilliams06

bbwilliams06 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Apple, are you African American? Sorry if you think that was a stupid question but the reason I asked was because I too am a member of LECOM's class of 2005.
    Myself and another African American male student have already begun metriculation at LECOM, in the ISP and PBL programs respectively.
    As far as becoming an ethnic pioneer, I must agree with bluphilosopher. Erie is not as racially diverse as one might like it to be so you will probably have to look a bit harder or go a bit further to find services that cater to you. All-in-all though, I think you will be alright.
    If you aren't already in Erie, let me know when you are planning to relocate. If you have any questions regarding the school or the city of Erie hopefully I can answer them for you or refer you to someone who can.

Bluphilosopher, do you plan to join SNMA? Currently there isn't a chapter here at LECOM but we are trying to get one chartered this fall. Infact, we are planning to drive to Philli' later this month to attend an SNMA Regional conference.
    Anyways, good luck to all and congratulations on what will probably be most rewarding but arduous undertaking of your life.
    Oh, one more thing. Apple are you in a Sorority? If yes, which one?

7. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bbwilliams06,
    Yes I am an African American and member of AKA. I'm here in Erie without any of my furniture nor my car. Do you know Russell? From your screen name, I can tell that you are an Alpha. I remember Russell telling me that I had a frat up here. Wait,is your name Bruce? If it is or isn't, feel free to email me or if you know Russell, you can get my number from him. I'll also be at the First Friday get together on the 13th. My name is Angela.

8. fist of rage

fist of rage Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh come on! So many of the African American students talk about getting into a program like they were in some kind of club or something. Yes there are African American students accepted into programs all over the country! There are also Indian, Native American, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc.. So what, a student is a student is a student. It always seems that the african american students tend to isolate themselves from the other students with all of the special clubs, meetings etc... I don't know, please fill me in!

9. bluphilosopher

10+ Year Member

Yes, I plan on becoming an SNMA member. And if I can get someone to switch with me at work, I plan on attending the regionals. Maybe you'll probably see me there.

In good faith,
    bluphilodopher
    PCOM 2005

10. bluphilosopher

10+ Year Member

Yes there are African-Americans in every medical school in the country. No there aren't very many.
    FOR take a good look at all minority students at your perspective school. They all conform to this same pattern. ( Blacks are just numerically more noticeable.) However, I think "isolation" is too strong of a word. What's really going on is a type of cultural bonding. This bonding is important for supportive measures. It's hard to explain, but there is a certain comfort in being around people who can identify with your situations and mindset. Also, some of the things we have as goals, such as providing health care amongst minority communities, requires collaboration, so we must have programs and meetings to address this. Believe it or not, the SNMA, NMA, NAACP, etc. are not exclusionary organizations. Everyones allowed to attend, its just that the issues that these grups espouse, mostly concern minorities, and therefore, is mostly attended by minorities.
    So that leaves me with one question, Why does this upset you?

In good faith,
    bluphilosopher
    PCOM 2005

11. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    fist of rage,

I know you said that to get a rise out of somebody but I won't give you that satisfaction. I come to this forum almost everyday and I really enjoy all the threads that I read.

When I first learned of this forum, I saw a thread on "Thoughts of LECOM." It was about other students who had been accepted into Lecom for the fall of 2001. Being that I had just gotten accepted into LECOM, it gave me a chance to get to know some of my classmates before school started. I learned that we had some of the same fears and joys. We passed on information to each other and are even planning a picnic before school starts.

I then saw a thread entitled, "Any Filipinos Accepted?" It was really good to see the different Filipino students coming together and forming a bond as bluephilosopher stated. That's why I decided to start this post.

If you had really read the thread, you would see that this was not a political topic to see if African Americans were being accepted into osteopathic students. This is just a thread for us to come and bond and tell what schools we were accepted into just like I was given the chance to bond with my classmates at LECOM.

12. fist of rage

7+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply. The above post was not a post in anger. Maybe I just came across to strong. However, you do make some very good points. But, lets be realistic when you say that "some of the things we have as goals, such as providing health care amongst minority communities, requires collaboration, so we must have programs and meetings to address this" I am in med school, and I know for a fact that there are very few people, including the minorities that will go back to underserved minority communities to serve, and go broke. It's nice to talk about but rarely happens.
    Well in a way I guess there is some anger in the post, mainly because you talk about how few minorities there are in medical school. Well it is no ones fault but there own. I hate to be harsh but it is true. The first time I applied to a state allopathic program I did not get in, and in my interview with the dean explaining the reasons my application was rejected he stated "Had you have been a minority your application would have been at the top of our list, and there would have been no question about your acceptance." That bothers me. Also I am a white male, and there are hardly any scholarships out there for me! Try to find a scholarship that is only available for a white male. The few sholarships that I am eligible for are open to everyone. Meanwhile, we get e-mails nearly every day for a new african american sholarship, and I know that the tuition for the minority student is actually less than what I pay at the school I attend. So, let's see :confused: Who is being discriminated against in this situation? What about people like me that feel this way. What about my mindset. Who can I talk to about this. If I were to talk to anyone about this I would be considered a racist. What if I wanted to start up the NWML (National White Males League, or something to that nature. I would be outcast and called Hitler. And once again let me get this straight that I would not want to do that, because like I said,I feel like a student is a student is a student, and it should be that way in medical school, everyone should be equal. You are learning to play with peoples lives, but it is not equal because I see all of these minorities, and not just african american students getting all of these benefits. We are bombarded by it every day. All of these e-mails and brochoures explaining insurance for minorities, sholarships for the minorities, clubs for minorities etc, it just becomes a little irritating when you hear minority students talk about how they have group as if they are facing some kind of battle against them. Well thanks for responding, and these are just a few of my thoughts.

13. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I went back to the thread on Filipinos to see if anyone posted anything like Fist of Rage did here. I was glad to see that no one else had.

Fist of Rage I'm sorry that you are having issues with minorities but this is not the thread for it. We are only showing love on this thread and you're trying to take it into a whole new topic. Why don't you just start a whole new topic on how you feel like about minorities.

As far as scholarships are concerned, did you check into military scholarships or even the national public health scholarship. There are plenty of other scholarships out there for non minorities as well as minorities.

It seems as if you have almost a hatred or envy for minorites because of these scholarships. I hope that's not the case. I'm praying for you and I'm glad you were finally accepted into medical school.

14. fist of rage

7+ Year Member

Just what I expected. Once again, I just spoke my point of view. I never once said that I hated minorities etc... like you accused me of. I have a point of view and I spoke out on it. However your reaction is the typical reaction I expected. I bring up logical issues that you know are true and you take the defensive and call me a racist when I never made one racist remark. I think that medical school should be available to anyone that DESERVES attending, and it should be equal across the board. No black, no white, no asian etc.. we are all here for the same purpose, and I think that we should all be treated fairly. Once again to prove my point the military scholarships and public health scholarships are available to everyone. There are government funded scholarships that are only available to african american students. Are there any scholarships available for the white students only? I would say not. This is what I am talking about. I am in no way a racist. I would just like to have some equality here. If anyone has taken a racist tone it is you apple.

15. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    fist of rage,
    I never called you racist. Sorry if I offended you.

What I am saying is that you brought out points that say that there should not be scholarships solely for African Americans. That is your opinion but I think you're missing why I started the thread. That is a whole other topic that you could start if you liked.

You are entitled to your opinion and entitled to post whatever you like but I was just trying to tell you that this thread was not some kind of isolation island. I just wanted to know if some other African American students were accepted into osteopathic medical school. Not many African Americans that I know, know anything about osteopathic medicine so I wanted to know if there were some who had been accepted. That's it. If you read the entire thread, you'll understand that.

16. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Apple,

I was the original poster of the "filipino applicants" thread. I have to agree with bonding with others. For me, it was nice to know that there were other filipinos out there in medicine as I didn't see many at my interviews and it started to make me feel nervous. It makes me feel better that there were other filipinos out there struggling to make it into medical school who have also been successful in matriculating. The key thing for me was also learning where I can find filipno restaurants and food outside of my hometown on the west coast! :D

Good Luck!

- wyldstyle2000 :)

17. apple638

apple638 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    wyldstyle2000,

I totally understand what you're saying. Since I'm from the south, I also want to do a thread about southern students being accepted in schools up north. I was born in Africa and lived most of my life in Louisiana. Moving to PA is a big change and I would like to get with others who are going through the same thing.

18. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Why was this question asked? Does anyone seriously believe that no black or african american applicants got accepted?

19. Rural

Rural Junior Member

It's posted b/c yes african americans did get in but not on their own merits. They got help from Whitey via AA so they could get in. Lets not kid ourselves "most" if not all blacks in med school don't deserve to be there but we live in an era of guilt so elitist whites must live in their illsuions of creating a perfect society. Tennesse Williams said people live in their illusions and it seems like whites will do all they can to downplay slavery.. Thank god for some smart people like Clarence Thomas, Scalia, JC Watts, Armstrong Williams, Niger Enis amongst others who will try to put an end to this unconstitutional and racist practice...

20. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's a pretty harsh assumption seeing you weren't the initiator of this thread....

21. fist of rage

7+ Year Member

Aw shut up popeye or whatever your name is. Have you ever heard of affirmative action. Tell me what that is about.

22. AhmedDO

AhmedDO Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Waaaww angry white :D
    First of rage & rural
    You guys need to concentrate on your medical education.
    Damn you guys sucks ... :rolleyes:

23. fist of rage

7+ Year Member

Well Ahmed, I am concentrating on my medical education. However it does make it a little more difficult when you have to worry about where the money is going to come from to pay for it. Oh, but you wouldn't know about that would you!

24. WanabeDR

WanabeDR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes I do body THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED LOAN!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
    SMART HAAAA ;)

25. AhmedDO

AhmedDO Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

:D :eek: what about that fist of rage? :D

26. futuredoc-lisa

7+ Year Member

What made you guys pick LECOM? I am so not famliar with that school. Are you guys native of the state of does it have a good rep. I am now changing careers and taking my pre-req's. I wish I was applying to school now, but I think it will be three years at the max before I take my mcat. I am still dreading the eight hours.

27. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think apple638 is the only one going to LECOM.... I hope she sees your post.

MCAT - 8 hours - everyone has to go through it. Don't sweat it. It'll be over before you know it.... Just do well in college now and worry about MCATs later. Don't forget, if you want to pursue medicine you'll have to have the stamina for test, boards, long hours, etc.

Good luck to you.

28. futuredoc-lisa

7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info..I know I am stress about something that is atleast three years away. I really do need to focus on my soon-to-be classes, especially since I was not a science major.

29. DOtobe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lisa,
    There are several reasons I picked LECOM. I understand why you may not have heard of the school, because it is a relatively new school with respect to the other osteopathic schools. One of the reasons I did pick LECOM is that I am from PA-I live three hours away and it will be easy for me to come home for holidays or if there are any emergencies. LECOM also had other things that appealed to me-friendly students, friendly staff, and nice facilities. They are also building a new building that will make the school even better than it originally was. That's why I chose LECOM (at the risk of sounding like a LECOM commercial)!

30. lightning bonesetter

I am a Black third year medical student at an Osteopathic medical school, and did very well on the boards. I also did well on the MCAT, but I applied to medical school twice before I was accepted. If there is affirmative action, I wish someone would tell me specifically where.

This is for "rural" and everyone else who believes that blacks and other minorities do not "deserve to be in medical school." How small minded of you!! To assume that a black person does not have the scores to be accepted, what does that say about you? I doubt seriously that you know everyone's scores, and I doubt even more you have taken time to even know someone of a different race or culture. If you did, you would not spout this nonsense. There are 203 people in my medical school class. There are 8 Blacks. Am I to believe that a White person did not get accepted to school because of the 8 Blacks sitting there? Give me a break.
    Your problem is that you have this sense of entitlement. You do not dare question the credentials of White students. Why? But you automatically assume that the Blacks are inferior candidates. Why? You have not idea what their record is.

I seem to remember on most of my medical school applications asking me if I had a relative who attended their institution because then they were given extra points for that.

You take a hard look at yourselves, what do you see? A Black doctor, or a doctor who happens to be Black?

31. Teufelhunden

Teufelhunden 1K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I recently saw a comparison of the mean MCAT scores and GPAs of matriculated med students. The categories compared were male and female, and either white, black, hispanic, or asian-american. Based on this data, I can see why some are frustrated with the process. The highest mean MCATs and GPAs were found in the asian-american male category; the lowest were in the black male category. Based on these data, it seems that AA is alive and kicking. Its just not fair that (ON THE AVERAGE) an asian-american, male, med school applicant would have to outscore on the MCAT and academically outperform his black, male peer in order to gain acceptance. Based on the facts, how can anyone argue that that's fair? What ever happened to basing admission solely upon someone's merits? Would that be so wrong?

32. lightning bonesetter

While GPA and MCAT scores are important components for admission, please keep in mind that they are just that: components. The osteopathic philosophy teaches future physicians to look not only at the physical state of man, but also the emotional and psychological states as well. In other words we are taught to look at the entire patient. What I respect about Osteopathic medical schools (and this has nothing to do with race) is that they truly look at the entire student. The experiences of a person can demonstrate future success as well as any MCAT score.
    Let us all keep in mind that there are more applicants to medical school than there are seats available. Common sense tells us that no matter what in a given year, there are going to be some disappointed great applicants; simply because of the fact there is not enough room. I took the MCAT three times and applied twice before I was accepted. Believe me, I was not going to be accepted until my scores came up to what was in the handbook.
    As far as the comparison you saw, who performed the study? From what schools? what methods were used? How many people were compared? I cannot simply trust everything I read because it is in print.

33. futuredoc-lisa

7+ Year Member

Normally, I try to stay out of situations where it's hard to tell who's the fool. There is an African proverb that says, IF you see two people arguing, it's hard to tell who the fool is. Based on these discussions, it's very easy to see who the fools are.

If we lived in a society where EVERYONE was based solely on their merits and we had no: Good ole boy systems, who your daddy went to school with, covert racism, socialism, and sexism; then I would agree that we don't need afirmative action. But we don't live in that society.

Tell me what's fair. I am an black female with a 3.7 gpa, graduated with honors from graduate school, took the lsat did very well (when I was going to law school), was told that I was perfect for UCLA, TU, etc. Then when they found out I was "Black" I was told, they made a mistake and I was to be waitlisted.

As a writer, I applied to various jobs as a tv writer, was told via the telephone, that they needed to meet me, they couldn't hire me over the phone. (That's understandable, but they wanted to hirer me as writer/producer) Arrive in LA, go to CBS meet with 3 producers, and then was told, maybe you should work with the celebrities that come to the show (like a greeter or assistant) and write for another show. "We really dont' hire female writers." Where did this come from? My portfolio was good enough for them to fly me out. Based on this, I would say, being "black" was the problem.

So, please don't hind behind people of color don't deserve to be in medical school. With attitudes that have been display on this site-You don't deserve to be doctors! How will you treat you minority patients? Will you be ethical? Will you prescribe medicine that will help to elivate their illnesses or will you prescribe something that will masked the pain until they die and leave another space for a white person to take the job "they" didn't deserved in the first play. What a sad state of affairs.

To be honest, if you haven't been black, you don't have any idea of what you are talking about. Your rethoric would be better served at your next klan meeting. Don't bring it here.

34. bbwilliams06

bbwilliams06 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I find it ironic that any white person in this country would claim that he/she has been denied the opportunity of success because of his/her color.
    I guess you all now have some incling of what it must have been like for our parents and their parents before them. Just think, AA has not been in existance for 40 years yet and already you, as a people, feel that you have some how undone the injustice that was perpetrated upon Blacks for more than 200 years. Maybe we should have taken the 40 acres and the mule, of course with 200 years of accrued interest.
    I guess the grass isin't always greener on the other side; and now Fist of Fury, you can attest to that. The next time you receive an e-mail informing you of a scholarship that is open exclusively to people of color, I want you to remember the rage and the sense of hopelessness that e-mail elicits. Then, multiply that by 200 and maybe you will begin to appreciate why it is that organizations like SNMA, The NAACP and even this thread exist.

35. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh please. Not another whiny contest to find out who has been the greatest victim. Why don't we just stipulate that black people don't know what it is like to be white and white people don't know what it is like to be black. No race has a monoploy on injustice in life; there is plenty of it to go around for everyone. The sooner these victimology dialogs stop the sooner people can start working together instead of trying to see who can arouse the most guilt and resentment.

36. bluphilosopher

10+ Year Member

How did I miss this one thread blowing up like this?
    Why does everytime someone mentions that they are a URM, Affirmative action pops up?
    Oh well!
    And to end this whole discussion, my school doesn't practice AA anyway. Along with most DO schools. Amazing but true. Keep in mind these are DO schools we are talking about. The average African American MCAT average(22-23) is pretty sufficient. The normal DO school average MCAT score is only a 24. And that is with a black population close to 3%! Color me unimpressed.
    I fail to see the rational point behind all this venom.

In good faith,
    bluphilosopher
    PCOM 2005