Any afternoon, afforable post-bacc for career changers in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhong

Reaction score
self explanatory

Members don't see this ad.

What is affordable to you?

The above path offers guarenteed interviews to the following schools if you meet the programs pre-reqs:
  1. New York Medical College School of Medicine
  2. Touro College of Dental Medicine
  3. New York College of Podiatric Medicine
  4. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York
  5. Touro University California College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro has their own program linked above with direct linkage to their program, if you are considering DO. I'm too lazy to find more.

Reactions: 1 user
are they for car
What is affordable to you?

The above path offers guarenteed interviews to the following schools if you meet the programs pre-reqs:
  1. New York Medical College School of Medicine
  2. Touro College of Dental Medicine
  3. New York College of Podiatric Medicine
  4. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York
  5. Touro University California College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro has their own program linked above with direct linkage to their program, if you are considering DO. I'm too lazy to find more.

are these for career changers with no prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad :)
are they for car

Not to be rude, but the admission pre-reqs are listed on the websites. You should read them yourself and do your due diligence if you are considering a career changer post-bacc or SMP.

here’s a list from AAMC

NYMC

Admissions Criteria
  • Overall undergraduate GPA of 3.1, including a 3.1 GPA in math and science courses
  • A minimum total MCAT score falling in the range of the 70th percentile
  • Clinical/research experience
  • Skype interview

• Love
are they for car

Also if you are looking for a post-bacc with no pre-reqs, consider a do-it-yourself post-bac. Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
Also if you are looking for a post-bacc with no pre-reqs, consider a do-it-yourself post-bac. Read this:
very helpful info, I hope its true!
by the way, do you know of any special masters for career changers in NYC?

very helpful info, I hope its true!
by the way, do you know of any special masters for career changers in NYC?
Some of the programs listed above are special masters! The NYMC program is considered an SMP. Use the amcas tool I linked to find more. Here it is again.

If you don't have pre-reqs an SMP will not help you. You have to have the pre-reqs to get into med school. You need to do a post-bacc, which is for taking undergrad classes after getting your bachelor's degree

Reactions: 2 users
Not to be rude, but the admission pre-reqs are listed on the websites. You should read them yourself and do your due diligence if you are considering a career changer post-bacc or SMP.

here’s a list from AAMC

NYMC

Admissions Criteria
  • Overall undergraduate GPA of 3.1, including a 3.1 GPA in math and science courses
  • A minimum total MCAT score falling in the range of the 70th percentile
  • Clinical/research experience
  • Skype interview
I checked it out before, I think its only for people who already have the prereqs:(

I checked it out before, I think its only for people who already have the prereqs:(
I don't want to leave you hanging with no options. Go to this link like I recommended: Postbac

This is what you will see
7V9mLUD.png

See those settings on the left? Change the special program focus to "career-changer." also set the location to NY for the state. This is what you should see.

qK3sisO.png

These are post-baaccalaureate programs that focus on providing you the pre-reqs necessary to take the MCAT and get into a medical school. These programs offer classes like biology, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry etc. Whether or not you can take these classes at night, I do not know. The onus is on you to do your own research and see which programs fit your current sub 3.0 GPA. Some of these programs have an undergraduate GPA cut-off above 3.0. I hope this is the resource you were looking for, which I provided twice before.

edit: @drhong

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't want to leave you hanging with no options. Go to this link like I recommended: Postbac

This is what you will see
7V9mLUD.png

See those settings on the left? Change the special program focus to "career-changer." also set the location to NY for the state. This is what you should see.

qK3sisO.png

These are post-baaccalaureate programs that focus on providing you the pre-reqs necessary to take the MCAT and get into a medical school. These programs offer classes like biology, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry etc. Whether or not you can take these classes at night, I do not know. The onus is on you to do your own research and see which programs fit your current sub 3.0 GPA. Some of these programs have an undergraduate GPA cut-off above 3.0. I hope this is the resource you were looking for, which I provided twice before.

edit: @drhong

Hey Thanks!
I did checked it out before, but I wasn't sure how the individual schedule is like for each of the post baccs :( (I can only do afternoon)

Hey Thanks!
I did checked it out before, but I wasn't sure how the individual schedule is like for each of the post baccs :( (I can only do afternoon)
There isn't an easy search option. Once you find a couple of post-bacs that fit what you're looking for, you are either going to have to go to that program's website and look to see if they have evening classes or email/call the admissions department. You're going to have to do some independent research. Someone is in a specific program or is familiar with it can give you answers to that one program but no one on this site can provide you with a comprehensive list that meet all your criteria.

Last edited:
hi Drhong .. the aamc data is big . I went through a similar exercise , here are the list of all schools in ny

University NameCourseDegreeInst typeaddress staddress cityaddress stateaddress zipwebsiteprogram contact 1program contact 2program contact 3program descprogram focusprogram requirementsStructureDegree GrantingCertificate GrantingEnrollmentApplied to Medical School Previous YearAccepted to Medical School Previous YearEnrollment TypeEnrollment CreditClasses ScheduleMinimum Months Program EnrollmentAverage Months Program EnrollmentMaximum Months Program EnrollmentEnrollment BasisAnnual TuitionPer Credit Hour TuitionFinancial AidPostBaccalaureate Student CommunityProgram LocationDeferred Action for Childhood Arrival(DACA) Accepted
Adelphi UniversityCertificate in Basic Sciences for Health ProfessionsUndergraduatePrivate Institution1 South AvenueGarden CityNY
11530​
Jaime Kindelmann P: 5168773412 E: [email protected]Career-changers, Academic record-enhancersShow evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.00Individualized/unstructuredNY1 to 101 TO 51 TO 5On a full-time OR part time basisFor undergraduate credit onlyOnly during the day
12​
12​
24​
regular$801+YYCollege of General/Interdisciplinary Studies or equivalentN/A
Columbia Universityno - too diffPostbaccalaureate Premedical ProgramUndergraduatePrivate Institution408 Lewisohn Hall, MC 4101,2970 BroadwayNEW YORKNY10027 Andrew Sunshine, Director of the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program and Associate Dean of Students,P: 2128547961,E: [email protected]The oldest and largest program of its kind in the United States, with an internationally-recognized faculty, dedicated advising team, and a placement rate of up to 90 percent in American medical schools.Career-changersAccommodates students interested in other health professionsFormal/structuredNY101+51+51+On a full-time OR part time basisFor undergraduate credit onlyOnly during the day
18​
24​
60​
regular$801+YYCollege of General/Interdisciplinary Studies or equivalentYES
Columbia University Irving Medical CenterInstitute of Human NutritionGraduatePrivate Institution630 W. 168th Street, H15E-1512NEW YORKNY
10032​
Sarah Bergren,P: 2123054808,E: [email protected]Dr. Sharon Akabas Ph.D.,P: 2123054808,E: [email protected]CU's one-year MS in Nutrition will make you a better doctor. Come learn nutrition science, clinical & public health nutrition, AND complete a thesis project. PLUS receive career counseling, hone your interviewing skills & have a great year in NYC!Underrepresented minority students ,Other ,Accommodates students interested in other health professions,Career-changersFormal/structuredYN51 TO 10051+51+For graduate credit onlyOnly during the day
11​
11​
24​
regular$25,001+$801+YYSchool of MedicineCONTACT SCHOOL
Farmingdale State College SUNYCertificate in the Sciences for Health ProfessionsUndergraduatePublic Institution2350 Broadhollow Rd.
Greenley Hall, Room 012
FARMINGDALENY
11735​
Professor Amanda Lavery, M.S.
P: 6314202530
E: [email protected]
A program designed to meet the needs of students with bachelor’s degrees in non-science fields who seek a career change into the health professions, but lack the science and mathematics background for graduate professional health programs.Career-changers
Accommodates students interested in other health professions
Underrepresented minority students
Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.00Formal/structuredNY51 TO 10016 TO 2516 TO 25ON FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor undergraduate credit ONLYBoth during the day and the evening
12​
18​
36​
regular$5,005 - 10,000$201 - 500YYSCHOOL OF ARTS & SCIENCEYES
Fordham University, Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies?Fordham Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical/Pre-Health ProgramUndergraduatePrivate Institution441 East Fordham Road, KE 125BRONXNY
10458​
Dr. Laura Bigaouette, EdD
P: 9143673302
Dr. Laura Bigaouette Ed.D
P: 9143673302
Prerequisite courses for medical, dental, veterinary, DPT and PA programs are offered through School of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS) for adult non-matriculating students- evenings, weekends, and summers.Career-changers
Be US Citizens
Be permanent residents of the US
Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.00
Formal/structuredNN101+16 TO 2516 TO 25ON FULL TIME BASIS ONLYFor undergraduate credit onlyOnly during the evening
18​
24​
30​
regular$801+YYCollege of Liberal Arts or equivalentCONTACT SCHOOL
Hofstra UniversityPremedical Post-Baccalaureate CertificateUndergraduatePrivate Institution105 Memorial Hall
126 Hofstra University
HEMPSTEADNY
11549​
Ellen C. Miller, Ed.D.
P: 5164634723
Dr. Ellen Miller Ed.D
P: 5164634723
This flexible individualized certificate program can be customized to fit your career goals in the health professions by working with experienced advisers in the field. Courses what can taken on a full or part time basis.This flexible individualized certificate program can be customized to fit your career goals in the health professions by working with experienced advisers in the field. Courses what can taken on a full or part time basis.Be US Citizens
Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.0
Formal/structuredNY51 TO 1006 TO 156 TO 15ON A FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor undergraduate OR graduate credit
15​
18​
regular$15,001 - 25,000$801+YYCollege of Liberal Arts or equivalent
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount SinaiMaster of Science in Biomedical SciencesGraduatePrivate InstitutionOne Gustave L. Levy PlaceNEW YORKNY
10029​
Rewtie Offin, Program Manager
P: 2122412373
Dr. Basil Hanss
P: 2122419650
The MS in Biomedical Science program is a full-time, 45-credit (minimum) degree program designed to be completed in 3 semesters, with an option to continue for a fourth semester at no additional cost. It consists of both PhD or MD level coursework.Underrepresented minority students
Academic record-enhancers
Career-changers
Formal/structuredYN26 TO 506 TO 156 TO 15For graduate credit onlyONLY DURING THE DAY
17​
21​
36​
regular$25,001+$801+YYSCHOOL OF MEDICINEYES
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount SinaiMaster of Science in Clinical ResearchGraduatePrivate InstitutionOne Gustave L. Levy Place
Box 1022
NEW YORKNY
10029​
P: 2128247014
The Master of Science in Clinical Research is intended to provide individuals with the critical thinking skills and acumen necessary to better position themselves for professional careers in health care.Career-changers
Formal/structuredYN26 TO 501 TO 51 TO 5ON A FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor graduate credit onlyOnly during the evening
21​
21​
60​
regular$15,001 - 25,000$801+YYSCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount SinaiClinical Research Training Program (Certificate)GraduatePrivate InstitutionOne Gustave L. Levy Place
Box 1022
NEW YORKNY
10029​
P: 2128247014
Dr. Basil Hanss
P: 2122419650
The Clinical Research Training program is a 10 month certificate program which is intended to provide individuals with the critical thinking skills and acumen necessary to better position themselves for professional careers in health care.Career-changers
Formal/structuredNY1 to 101 TO 51 TO 5ON A FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor graduate credit onlyOnly during the evening
10​
10​
20​
regular$15,001 - 25,000$801+YYSCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Manhattanville CollegePost-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Professions (PBPH)UndergraduatePrivate Institution2900 Purchase Street, Suite G5PurchaseNY
10577​
Jon DeBenedictis,P: 9143235446,E: [email protected]The PBPH is geared toward students interested in applying to graduate or professional preparation in the Health Sciences, particularly in the fields of Medicine (M.D., D.O., D.V.M.), Dentistry, Physical Therapy, and Optometry.Career-changers,Academic record-enhancers,Accommodates students interested in other health professionsBe US Citizens, Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 2.5, Be permanent residents of the USIndividualized/unstructuredNN1 TO 106 TO 156 TO 15On a full-time OR part time basisFor undergraduate credit onlyOnly during the day
12​
24​
24​
Individualized/unstructured$801+N/ACollege of Liberal Arts or equivalentCONTACT SCHOOL
Marymount Manhattan CollegeBiology Post-Baccalaureate ProgramUndergraduatePrivate Institution221 East 71st StreetNEW YORKNY
10021​
Ann Aguanno,P: 2127747838,E: [email protected]Our Biology Post-Baccalaureate Program is a non-degree-granting program designed for college graduates who wish to fulfill science pre-requisites for medical, dental, or other professional programs.Academic record-enhancers, Career-changers, Accommodates students interested in other health professionsIndividualized/unstructuredNN1 TO 101 TO 51 TO 5On a full-time OR part time basisFor undergraduate credit onlyOnly during the day
6​
24​
48​
regular$801+NYCollege of Liberal Arts or equivalentYES
New York Medical CollegeBasic Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program - Traditional TrackGraduatePrivate InstitutionGraduate School of Basic Medical Sciences, Basic Sciences Building, Room A41ValhallaNY
10595​
Valerie Romeo-Messana, P: 9145944110,E: [email protected]Ken Lerea Ph.D., P: 9145944097, E: [email protected]The curriculum includes 30 academic credits and either a scholarly Master's Literature Review or a Master's Research Thesis.Accommodates students interested in other health professions, Academic record-enhancersPresent a minimum score on a test to achieve admission MCAT:,GRE:,DAT:,OAT:Formal/structuredYN11 TO 256 TO 156 TO 15On full-time basis onlyFor graduate credit onlyOnly during the day
24​
24​
60​
regular$25,001+$801+YYGraduate School Of Basic Medical SciencesCONTACT SCHOOL
New York Medical CollegeBasic Medical Sciences Interdisciplinary Program - Accelerated TrackGraduatePrivate InstitutionGraduate School of Basic Medical Sciences, Basic Sciences Building, Room A42ValhallaNY
10595​
Valerie Romeo-Messana, P: 9145944110,E: [email protected]Brian Ratliff Ph.D.,P: 9145944999,E: [email protected]Students must complete either a scholarly Master's Literature Review or Master's Thesis.Academic record-enhancersShow evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.1,Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate science GPA to achieve admission: 3.1,Present a minimum score on a test to achieve admission MCAT:70%Formal/structuredYN11 TO 256 TO 156 TO 15On full-time basis onlyFor graduate credit onlyOnly during the day
12​
12​
12​
regular$25001+YYSchool of MedicineCONTACT SCHOOL
NYU School of Medicine's Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical SciencesMasters in Biomedical InformaticsUndergraduatePrivate Institution550 First Ave., MSB 228NEW YORKNY
10016​
Dr. Kelly Ruggles,P: 2122635648,E: [email protected]David Fenyo Ph.D.,P: 2122632216,E: [email protected]During this 12-month curriculum students learn to create novel computational and quantitative methods and apply them to biomedical research. Our graduates are prepared for biomedical and computational careers in medicine, academics and industry.Career-changers,Accommodates students interested in other health professions,Academic record-enhancersFormal/structuredYN1 TO 101 TO 5N/AOn a full-time OR part time basisFor graduate credit onlyBoth during the day and the evening
12​
12​
24​
regular$25,001+$801+NYSchool of MedicineYES
Purchase College SUNYPremedical StudiesUndergraduatePublic Institution735 Anderson Hill RoadPURCHASENY
10577​
Silke Vigue
P: 9142516631
The program offers students who hold a bachelor’s degree the coursework needed to prepare for professional exams and applications. Assistance for students is available from the Premedical Advisory Committee.Career-changers
Economically or educationally disadvantaged students
Other
Formal/structuredYN26 TO 506 TO 151 TO 5ON A FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor undergraduate credit ONLYOnly during the day
12​
24​
48​
Individualized/unstructured$0 - 5,000$201 - 400NYCollege of Liberal Arts or equivalentYES
SUNY College at Old WestburyPost-baccalaureate Premedical StudiesUndergraduatePublic InstitutionNatural Sciences Bldg, SUNY College at Old Westbury
223 Store Hill Road
OLD WESTBURYNY
11568​
Dr. Robert Hoyte
P: 5168762754
Instruction is provided in all science, social science and non-science courses required or recommended for admission to colleges of medicine and other health professions. Post-baccalaureate and other non-degree students are accommodated.Career-changers
Formal/structuredNN1 to 10ON A FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor undergraduate credit ONLYBoth during the day and the evening
18​
24​
36​
REGULARYCollege of Liberal Arts or equivalent
SUNY Upstate Medical UniversityMedPrep Academic Enhancement MS in Medical TechnologyGraduatePublic Institution766 Irving AvenueSYRACUSENY
13027​
Krystal Ripa
P: 3154644570
Present a minimum score on a test to achieve admission MCAT:500Formal/structuredYNON FULL TIME BASIS ONLYFor graduate credit onlyONLY DURING THE DAY
12​
12​
24​
REGULAR$10,001 - 15,000YCOLLEGE OF HEALTH PROFESSIONSYES
Syracuse UniversityM.S. in Biomedical Forensic SciencesGraduatePrivate InstitutionForensic & National Security Sciences Institute
Syracuse University
SYRACUSENY
13244​
Michael Sponsler
P: 3154434880
Formal/structuredYN11 TO 256 TO 156 TO 15ON A FULL TIME OR PART TIME BASISFor graduate credit onlyBoth during the day and the evening
12​
16​
24​
REGULAR$801+YCollege of Liberal Arts or equivalentYES
The City College of New York?The Program In Pre-Medical Studies Accelerated Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Health Professions PreparationUndergraduatePublic Institution160 Convent Avenue
Marshak Science Building, Room 106
NEW YORKNY
10031​
Belinda G. Smith,P: 2126506622, E: [email protected]Career-changers,Underrepresented minority students,Economically or educationally disadvantaged studentsBe US Citizens,Be permanent residents of the US,Be Male,Be Female,Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 2.8Formal/structuredNYN/AN/AN/AOn a full-time OR part time basisFor undergraduate credit onlyBoth during the day and the evening
14​
14​
14​
regular$15,001 - 25,000$0 - 200YYCollege of Science and MathematicsYES
The City College of New York?The City College of New York Post-Baccalaureate ProgramUndergraduatePublic Institution160 Convent Avenue, Marshak Science Building, Room 106NEW YORKNY
10031​
Belinda G. Smith,P: 2126506622, E: [email protected]Career-changersBe US Citizens,Be permanent residents of the US,Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate science GPA to achieve admission: 2.8Formal/structuredNN26 TO 5016 TO 2516 TO 25On a full-time OR part time basisFor undergraduate OR graduate creditBoth during the day and the evening
24​
30​
36​
regular$0 - 5,000$0 - 200N/AYCollege of Science and MathematicsYES
Touro College of Osteopathic MedicineMS in Interdisciplinary Studies in Biological and Physical SciencesGraduatePrivate Institution230 W. 125th Street,Room 329NEW YORKNY
10027​
Arthur Prancan,P: 6469814565,E: [email protected]Academic record-enhancers,Underrepresented minority students,Economically or educationally disadvantaged studentsShow evidence of a minimum undergraduate science GPA to achieve admission: 3.0,Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.0,Present a minimum score on a test to achieve admission MCAT:Formal/structuredYN51 TO 100N/A26 TO 50On full-time basis onlyFor graduate credit onlyOnly during the day
10​
10​
10​
regular$25,001+YYSchool of MedicineN/A
University at Buffalo, State University of New YorkNatural Sciences Interdisciplinary MSGraduatePublic InstitutionJacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences,955 Main St., Room 6130BuffaloNY
14203​
Elizabeth White
P: 7168293398
Academic record-enhancersAccommodates students interested in other health professionsUnderrepresented minority studentsCareer-changersIndividualized/unstructuredYN1 TO 10N/AN/AOn full-time basis onlyFor graduate credit onlyOnly during the day
18​
18​
24​
REGULAR$10,001 - 15,000$401 - 600NYSchool of MedicineYES
University at Buffalo, The State University of New YorkSpecial Master's Program (SMP) in Biological SciencesGraduatePublic Institution109 Cooke Hall,University at BuffaloBuffaloNY
14260​
Dr. David Hoekstra,P: 7166454908,E: [email protected]Dr. Christopher Loretz Ph.D.,P: 7166454985,E: [email protected]Academic record-enhancersAccommodates students interested in other health professionsCareer-changersIndividualized/unstructuredYN26 TO 5016 TO 256 TO 15On a full-time OR part time basisFor graduate credit onlyBoth during the day and the evening
9​
15​
36​
$10,001 - 15,000$401 - 600NYCollege of Arts and SciencesCONTACT SCHOOL
University of Rochesterno - 50k plusPost-baccalaureate Pre-Health ProgramUndergraduatePrivate Institution4-200 Dewey Hall, P.O. Box 270028ROCHESTERNY
14627​
P: 5852752366
Career-changers
Be US Citizens
Show evidence of a minimum undergraduate overall GPA to achieve admission: 3.0
Formal/structuredNN1 to 101 TO 51 TO 5Both during the day and the evening
12​
18​
24​
REGULAR$25,001+$801+Y

Copy the above to excel and you filter on the header to see your options ( you will end finding not many :)