Any American pharmacists who have moved to New Zealand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schleima

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'm done with the USA. The dysfunctional way in which we completely botched covid was the last straw. I'm ready to move to New Zealand where pharmacists are paid a lot less but I'd be in a culture and society that has competent and effective leadership and a population who trust in science.

I'm curious if there are any pharmacists here who have moved to New Zealand and would like to share their stories here. What pitfalls did you encounter? Does PharmD count for anything in NZ? What about board certification?

I appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have entertained this thought, but their housing is far too expensive considering what they pay their pharmacists.

I have entertained this thought, but their housing is far too expensive considering what they pay their pharmacists.
It's true, especially if you're just starting out and have $150k in student debt most people won't be able to afford it. The salaries I've researched are about half what pharmacists make here.

That's probably due to the fact that health care costs are controlled there, and so without the giant pool of money sloshing through the system everybody makes less. Honestly, I think if the USA switched to a single payer healthcare system (which we should) I'm sure pharmacists and doctors would all see a similar crunch in their salaries (though I'm sure housing prices would continue to go up).

One good thing is that NZ$ are worth about 40% less than USD, so whatever savings in USD we bring to NZ will be a lot more valuable. Fortunately our student debt is paid off (via the miracle of profound parental generosity), we have savings, and we even have equity in our home plus retirement savings we could chip into, so we have the financial ability to take this leap. It's really a matter of figuring out how to make the finances work so that we're not negative each month. But it also means we will raise out 2 year old in a culture where schools don't get shot up, she'll never worry about the cost of school or healthcare, people actually trust the government to work in their best interests, and the cities are not filled with trash and homeless tent cities.

From what I've been able to figure out, PharmD doesn't exist in NZ nor do the BCP certifications. I have reached out to the pharmacy school in Otago to see if they can offer guidance. It sounds like US pharmacists get a lot more training so perhaps there will be more varied opportunities for us.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Jokes aside, nearly all my Canadian pharmacist friends want to work in the US, despite healthcare is free for all Canadians. And I haven't met many US trained pharmacist moving north, except the ones who have deep family ties in Canada.

Trust me, grass isn't always greener on the other side, and I routinely read complaints from Canadian pharmacists on social media, about crappy pay, overwhelming workload, rude customers, and unaffordable housing etc.

Are you sure about the move, or are you just entertaining that idea?

Jokes aside, nearly all my Canadian pharmacist friends want to work in the US, despite healthcare is free for all Canadians. And I haven't met many US trained pharmacist moving north, except the ones who have deep family ties in Canada.

Trust me, grass isn't always greener on the other side, and I routinely read complaints from Canadian pharmacists on social media, about crappy pay, overwhelming workload, rude customers, and unaffordable housing etc.

totally agree with you on this. atleast in US we get a lot better pay compare to other countries for taking crap.
for NZ- i don't know about work conditions- my dad was offered to provide services in a remote hospital there. (he is MD in a diff country) work culture was really nice.
the biggest hurdle is not the pay. we need work visa to work there. after a few years of work visa, apply for residency visa. same like H1B visa and green card. if anyone here is not aware, please look at the back log of green card applications for MD physicians in US. I am sure same applies for NZ, where you have to work at a place where they can not fill the spots with their own citizens. moreover your profession must be listed in the category of a skilled worker with shortage and all. so, the pathway to the residency in other country is always difficult.

So I talked to a friend who seriously considered this. A few years ago NZ was expediting pharmacist license transfers, that has gone away thou. I thought about doing remote order verification for hospital night shifts (several companies do this and allow you work from home). That way it is night in the US, but days in NZ and you get US pharmacist pay.

So I talked to a friend who seriously considered this. A few years ago NZ was expediting pharmacist license transfers, that has gone away thou. I thought about doing remote order verification for hospital night shifts (several companies do this and allow you work from home). That way it is night in the US, but days in NZ and you get US pharmacist pay.
That's an interesting idea though I'm not sure it works out as cleanly as you Illustrated. On Pacific coast, NZ is only 3 hours behind (but it's tomorrow-- so technically 21 hours ahead). That doesn't really translate well from a day-is-night shift. But still a very interesting idea to earn the stronger US dollar whilst living in NZ.

Sorry I'm late to the thread, I did this for a half dozen years.

I worked in a hospital. It was one of the lowest stress jobs I've had. Outside of the main centers, hospital pharmacies (I'm talking inpatient) are open Monday-Friday 8-5. It would be hard to find a better schedule in the US. My hospital was clinical heavy in the sense that pharmacists are nearly removed from drug preparation/distribution. It's the kind of job you dream about when you're doing rotations in pharmacy school.

Now for the downsides: Pharmacy is a 4 year degree out of high-school. It pays accordingly. You can survive on this salary, but it means living like a Kiwi. You cannot heat your house, you will drive an old car, you cannot eat in restaurants, and you will save nothing for retirement.

My last couple of years in NZ, there was a push to get additional certifications (e.g. pharmacist prescribing). This meant taking additional papers (classes). The activities my coworkers were doing in these classes were things I did in my 3rd or 4th year of pharmacy school. I mention this just to give you an idea of the education level difference between you and your peers.

I ultimately returned to the US as I'm making three times as much here. I figured every year I was there was another year I'd have to work at then end of my career. I plan to return to when I no longer need to rely on the work to sustain myself. I'm about 5 years away, give or take.

I can go through the immigration and registration process in detail, if you're interested, though that info is readily available elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
That's an interesting idea though I'm not sure it works out as cleanly as you Illustrated. On Pacific coast, NZ is only 3 hours behind (but it's tomorrow-- so technically 21 hours ahead). That doesn't really translate well from a day-is-night shift. But still a very interesting idea to earn the stronger US dollar whilst living in NZ.
I was constantly trying to set something like that up when it became clear that I needed to make more money. Times have changed a bit with Covid, but back then nobody would let me telecommute from outside the US...and I had connections in the PBM world. Additionally, the Southern-Cross cable is less robust that it needs to be (or at least it was pre-covid, maybe they've layed more pipe). Streaming live American sporting events was pretty close to impossible and our city was wired with fiber. I can't imagine a zoom conference going well.

Sorry I'm late to the thread, I did this for a half dozen years.

I worked in a hospital. It was one of the lowest stress jobs I've had. Outside of the main centers, hospital pharmacies (I'm talking inpatient) are open Monday-Friday 8-5. It would be hard to find a better schedule in the US. My hospital was clinical heavy in the sense that pharmacists are nearly removed from drug preparation/distribution. It's the kind of job you dream about when you're doing rotations in pharmacy school.

Now for the downsides: Pharmacy is a 4 year degree out of high-school. It pays accordingly. You can survive on this salary, but it means living like a Kiwi. You cannot heat your house, you will drive an old car, you cannot eat in restaurants, and you will save nothing for retirement.

My last couple of years in NZ, there was a push to get additional certifications (e.g. pharmacist prescribing). This meant taking additional papers (classes). The activities my coworkers were doing in these classes were things I did in my 3rd or 4th year of pharmacy school. I mention this just to give you an idea of the education level difference between you and your peers.

I ultimately returned to the US as I'm making three times as much here. I figured every year I was there was another year I'd have to work at then end of my career. I plan to return to when I no longer need to rely on the work to sustain myself. I'm about 5 years away, give or take.

I can go through the immigration and registration process in detail, if you're interested, though that info is readily available elsewhere.
Wow, thank you for taking the time to write. This is really insightful. Can I ask what years you were working in NZ? At which hospital/DHB did you work? I'm especially curious about your timeframe, since I've seen recent job listings for community pharmacists at around $45,000 NZD but then I've seen hospital pharmacy jobs advertised for $80-95,000. This is still less than I'm making in the USA, but it's hardly an unlivable wage, especially if my spouse is also working.

From what I understand, there is a push by PharmDs in NZ to expand the role of pharmacists in NZ. The dean of the Otago pharmacy school, Carlo Marra, is a PharmD from Vancouver Canada, for example, and he's been lobbying heavily for this (but he says progress is slow).

I've been told that as an immigrant I'd likely need to start as a generalist before working my way into more specialized roles like antimicrobial stewardship. I assume these jobs pay more, though I've not been able to find actual salary ranges on these jobs. Do you have any insight into this?

I'm currently studying for the CAOP and will sit the exam 26 April. Just ordered my Australian Medicines Handbook and my Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary! Should be here next week (hopefully). Do you have any insider tips about how/what to study on the CAOP?

Thanks so much for your advice

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write. This is really insightful. Can I ask what years you were working in NZ? At which hospital/DHB did you work? I'm especially curious about your timeframe, since I've seen recent job listings for community pharmacists at around $45,000 NZD but then I've seen hospital pharmacy jobs advertised for $80-95,000. This is still less than I'm making in the USA, but it's hardly an unlivable wage, especially if my spouse is also working.

From what I understand, there is a push by PharmDs in NZ to expand the role of pharmacists in NZ. The dean of the Otago pharmacy school, Carlo Marra, is a PharmD from Vancouver Canada, for example, and he's been lobbying heavily for this (but he says progress is slow).

I've been told that as an immigrant I'd likely need to start as a generalist before working my way into more specialized roles like antimicrobial stewardship. I assume these jobs pay more, though I've not been able to find actual salary ranges on these jobs. Do you have any insight into this?

I'm currently studying for the CAOP and will sit the exam 26 April. Just ordered my Australian Medicines Handbook and my Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary! Should be here next week (hopefully). Do you have any insider tips about how/what to study on the CAOP?

Thanks so much for your advice
I left around 2017, I worked in a rural DHB. The pay is pretty similar across hospitals. Here's Northland's contract, it's a little out of date, but will give you an idea of the wages.: https://apex.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NDHB-Pharmacy-SECA-25-February-2019-30-April-2021.pdf

There are far more steps than their used to be, which was a push by the pharmacists to get paid more for their advanced training/experience. This seems to be the opposite of how an American union would operate. If I'm reading it correctly, steps above 7 are merit increases. I suppose you can negotiate anything, but I would not expect to start a job above step 7 unless you're bringing something impressive with you (like a PGY2 and infectious disease board certification). During an interview at the job I eventually took, I had referred to my PGY1 residency, and the clinical director made a comment like "It sounds like the internship year our students do here." I didn't know how wrong that was at the time, but it's what you're up against when trying to get a little more money. Anyway, I think your $80-95k range is probably pretty close. Keep in mind, that's NZ money. The country feels relatively inexpensive when you're on vacation with greenbacks. It isn't when all you have are kiwibucks. My wife cried when we moved home and she saw the prices at a supermarket...we could stop worrying about how much cheese cost.

So even if you haven't yet specialized in infectious disease, your knowledge base is most likely higher than the majority of hospital pharmacists in NZ. I would concentrate on finding any job and then muscling your way in with the infectious disease physician. Just start rounding with him or her. You'll have enough time to fit into the rest of your day. The role will soon be yours.

I never studied more for anything than I did for the CAOP. For one it's an expensive test, it's only given 4 times a year, and you have to fly pretty far to take it. It's an easy test, but you have to work fast! It's open book, but you won't finish if you're looking everything up. Make some tabs on your references so you can flip to stuff faster...I wish I still had my copy so I could see what I did. I regretted not having more tabs. My other advice would be: take your best guess, then move onto the next question. If you have time at the end, go back and look up the answers you weren't sure about.

Do you have an immigration pathway planned out? There was still a pharmacist shortage when I went. I had 4 job offers pretty easily, though I interviewed in person for three of them when I was there taking the CAOP. Jobs are not quite as plentiful now. NZ immigration gave me a very hard time as they don't consider you a pharmacist until you hold an annual practicing certificate, but the pharmacy council won't issue you an annual practicing certificate until you're employed/working. It's even more frustrating than it sounds. Pharmacy was on the short skills list at the time, which allowed my eventual boss to offer a job to a foreigner without proving he couldn't hire a Kiwi, which allowed the rest of the immigration process to fall into place. Maybe things have smoothed out by now...

Note: I haven't looked into any of this stuff in at least 5 years (except the northland contract, which I just found). I might be out of date on any and all of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I left around 2017, I worked in a rural DHB. The pay is pretty similar across hospitals. Here's Northland's contract, it's a little out of date, but will give you an idea of the wages.: https://apex.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NDHB-Pharmacy-SECA-25-February-2019-30-April-2021.pdf

There are far more steps than their used to be, which was a push by the pharmacists to get paid more for their advanced training/experience. This seems to be the opposite of how an American union would operate. If I'm reading it correctly, steps above 7 are merit increases. I suppose you can negotiate anything, but I would not expect to start a job above step 7 unless you're bringing something impressive with you (like a PGY2 and infectious disease board certification). During an interview at the job I eventually took, I had referred to my PGY1 residency, and the clinical director made a comment like "It sounds like the internship year our students do here." I didn't know how wrong that was at the time, but it's what you're up against when trying to get a little more money. Anyway, I think your $80-95k range is probably pretty close. Keep in mind, that's NZ money. The country feels relatively inexpensive when you're on vacation with greenbacks. It isn't when all you have are kiwibucks. My wife cried when we moved home and she saw the prices at a supermarket...we could stop worrying about how much cheese cost.

So even if you haven't yet specialized in infectious disease, your knowledge base is most likely higher than the majority of hospital pharmacists in NZ. I would concentrate on finding any job and then muscling your way in with the infectious disease physician. Just start rounding with him or her. You'll have enough time to fit into the rest of your day. The role will soon be yours.

I never studied more for anything than I did for the CAOP. For one it's an expensive test, it's only given 4 times a year, and you have to fly pretty far to take it. It's an easy test, but you have to work fast! It's open book, but you won't finish if you're looking everything up. Make some tabs on your references so you can flip to stuff faster...I wish I still had my copy so I could see what I did. I regretted not having more tabs. My other advice would be: take your best guess, then move onto the next question. If you have time at the end, go back and look up the answers you weren't sure about.

Do you have an immigration pathway planned out? There was still a pharmacist shortage when I went. I had 4 job offers pretty easily, though I interviewed in person for three of them when I was there taking the CAOP. Jobs are not quite as plentiful now. NZ immigration gave me a very hard time as they don't consider you a pharmacist until you hold an annual practicing certificate, but the pharmacy council won't issue you an annual practicing certificate until you're employed/working. It's even more frustrating than it sounds. Pharmacy was on the short skills list at the time, which allowed my eventual boss to offer a job to a foreigner without proving he couldn't hire a Kiwi, which allowed the rest of the immigration process to fall into place. Maybe things have smoothed out by now...

Note: I haven't looked into any of this stuff in at least 5 years (except the northland contract, which I just found). I might be out of date on any and all of it.
This is all very helpful. Thank you.

So things are a little different now. With Covid, you can now take the CAOP online, but it's still outrageously expensive at about $1,400 USD (per attempt!) Also, NZ now awards the designation of "pharmacist prescriber" with a 1-year post graduate course. But, according to the Pharmacy Council, it's unlikely without an equivalent designation in the US that a PharmD (even with PGY1 training) would be automatically awarded this privelege (we were told that even UK pharmacist prescribers have a hard time getting this credential automatically transferred). The dean of Otago told me that the "pharmacist prescriber" is really more of an advanced pharmacy practice designation (which we are very famliar with as PharmDs), and not to get hung up on the "prescribing" part of the title. Currently there are still very few prescribing pharmacists in NZ (I think about 40), as I'm told hospital pharmacists can still do bariatric and renal dosing adjustments, for example, without this designation. I'm also told that it's more common to see pharmacist prescribers in roles like a physician's private practice, for example.

Speaking of PGY1, it would be very helpful for me to know specifically how the PGY1 compares with the NZ internship. This will be great info to go into interviews with. Specifically, in what ways is the PharmD PGY1 training superior to the NZ internship year?

I am very curious about the timeframe of your interviews. I won't have the results of my CAOP until end of May, and I was told by a hiring manager that although my experience warranted serious consideration, she didn't offer an interview because I had not passed the CAOP yet. How did you get 4 job offers having just taken the CAOP? Was this strictly a function of the shortages at the time? (pharmacists are no longer on the NZ job shortages list)

As for the money, did you have US debts saddling you during your time in NZ? I ask because my student loans are paid in full, and as such I've been advised to stop doing the currency conversion because the numbers (cost of goods and salary) are roughly equivalent between US and NZ (with the cost of gas excepted). So if I'm earning $85k and my partner is earning $50, that puts us roughly where we are in the US, and we own a home and max out retirement savings. I've also been told that payroll deductions are significantly less due to the lack of nickel and dimeing that is so common in the US. Some retired American friends of ours who have lived in Wellington since 2005 told us that although they earned less over the lifetime of their careers, they ended up saving a lot more than they could have in the US due to this. What are your feelings about this?

I do have BCCCP and BCPS board certification, but again I'm not sure how (or if) these qualifications would be looked upon by potential hiring managers or the Pharmacy Council. Are there equivalent qualifications for this in NZ? If so, what agency awards them?

Our immigration pathway is pretty clear. We hired the company NZ Shores to assist us. One we've passed the CAOP and secured a job offer, we enter NZ on an essential skills work visa. Once in the country, we apply for the 2021 Residency Visa (if we enter before the cutoff on July 31) or the Skilled Migrant Category Residence Visa (which I imagine is what you entered on, correct?)

Thank you again for your advice. There's so little info available about this online, so your perspective in incredibly valuable.

At my hospital, there wasn't much role for a pharmacist prescriber. My coworker who had gone through the program refused to do any prescribing as he felt he wasn't being compensated and would be taking on additional liability. Which is sort of silly as there's pretty much no personal liability in NZ. I believe my boss had envisioned something like him rounding with the cardiac team and then putting everyone on aspirin/statin/beta-blocker, etc. It seemed like a poor use of a resource to me.

NZ internship: my pharmacy school still had an externship or clerkship, or something like that when I attended. It was like 6 weeks in a community pharmacy and then 6 weeks in a hospital over the summer. I think it carried over from the pre-Pharm.D. days. Pretty much slave labor. A NZ internship is like that, only it's a year and they get paid a solid $20 an hour. Maybe a little more now. My hospital tried to do some education with them; they get a preceptor that they meet with at weekly-ish, but they are mostly there for the cheap labor. There are very few pediatric (liquid) dosage forms available in NZ...so the interns would get called down to the pharmacy to compound things on a daily basis. I imagine a community internship would be dreadful.

Interviews: The country was definitely more desperate for pharmacists then, but I suspect they're still a shortage of hospital trained pharmacists. Some tips for getting interviews: contact the director or clinical director directly. Their name is usually in the job listing: Job Details | Careers - Auckland DHB Being in the country is a definite advantage. They get contacted all the time from people who are "thinking about moving". If memory serves, I had set up more of a conversation, rather than an interview with two DHBs. One was the day before I took the CAOP (fresh off a plane) and one the day after. At both sites, they said "as long as you're here, why don't we put you through a real interview?" I set up a third one while checking my email on the free wifi at Te Papa...I think I got an email alert about a job posting. Made a phone call and took a cab over there. I'm 12 years older now and reading all this just sounds exhausting. I believe I had 2 firm offers before I had CAOP results...I didn't ask what happens if I hadn't passed. The job I ultimately accepted was set up from the US (after I had passed CAOP and when I had more approximate arrival dates) completely by phone. I think we were supposed to do Skype, but one of us was having technical difficulties. I'm guessing it wasn't me. Interview tip: read up on the Treaty of Waitangi, particularly with how it relates to health care. It will be counterintuitive to most of what you know as an American.

Money: We sold our house prior to moving. I paid off my student loans, which weren't insubstantial with the proceeds and had maybe $100k left over. I also ended up with what I'll call a very generous year end bonus/severance from the job I was quitting. I remember comparing that check to what I would be making in NZ and thinking I could live for six months to a year on it. Payroll deductions are less: there's no medicare/ssn, you're not paying for health insurance (unless you feel the need to buy private insurance), and my tax burden was considerably lower (but only because I made so much less money). Kiwisaver is like a government run 401k. When I was there, employers were required to match your contributions up to 2% (it might be 4% now). I went from maxing out a 401k in the US to contributing 2% to my retirement. And most Kiwis end up pulling the money out to use as a down payment on a home (which is allowed for your first home purchase). I suspect your friends in Wellington got there at a good time and bought a house for <$200k in cash. They probably bought additional property over the years. It's the Kiwi way, but unfortunately much harder to do now. In my opinion, you need a million US in most of the country for a house that would be comfortable for an American, and much more than that in Auckland. Interest rates are higher and a "fixed rate" is fixed for only 5 years. Most Kiwis have a floating rate that adjusts every month. It encourages them to pay it back faster (and the rate is lower).

A little more on money (I could write a book on this): What you should pay attention to is the trifecta of high costs. New Zealand is more like Hawaii than anywhere else in the US. You get expensive real estate, you get expensive energy costs (not just gas; think heat!), you get expensive food. Also, start up costs are huge. Most people recommend bringing as much stuff as you can and then selling anything you don't need. Say you're renting a house when you get here (note: rent is paid weekly if the listed amounts don't look that bad). The landlord says you need to take care of the garden. So you go to the store that looks like Home Depot, and decide to buy an old fashioned push mower because this is only temporary and it's a small lawn. https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/power-garden-tools/lawn-mowers/hand-mowers/c/RF5297 $149NZ (about $100US) for the cheapest mower. Maybe it's higher quality than the $60 mower you could have bought at Home Depot Manual - Lawn Mowers - Outdoor Power Equipment - The Home Depot but my experience has been the opposite. The low end of anything in New Zealand is like Dollar Store quality in the US.

Another example: I'm an avid cyclist. I could shop around on the internet for bicycle tubes and find roughly similar prices to the US, let's say $5US for a Continental road tube. But if I've got a flat while riding and have to stop at the local bike shop, it will run as easy $25 NZ ($17 US). That's an $8-$10 item in an expensive American bike shop.

I'll stop talking about money after: Economists talk about the Big Mac Index, it compares the value of money in various countries. Those are fairly similar between Los Angeles and Auckland. Maybe $8US for a Big Mac Extra Value Meal in Los Angeles and $12.50NZ in Auckland, which is pretty similar when you add on sales tax in LA, which is included in NZ. But that doesn't take into account the salary hit you'll be taking. So I like to use my own formula: time worked for a Big Mac Extra Value Meal. At my current job, it's just over 6 minutes. My best guess at what I'd be worth in New Zealand today puts the number at just over 18 minutes. I don't even like McDonald's and almost never eat there, but I started seriously thinking about leaving for the first time when my second child was born. I took the older one to a McDonald's while my wife was in the hospital with the new one. While she was playing in the McDonald's Playground (which most McDonald's there have), having the most fun ever, I realized eating at McDonald's was a luxury. We were getting by fine, but I was used to doing better than just getting by.

Board Certification: I would not expect anyone to see the value of the certification, but the experience you have would be looked upon favorably, particularly the critical care. I've read a 4 page CV is ideal for New Zealand; Kiwis will put information from high school on theirs to make them longer. Mine clocked in at six pages and I did get a couple of comments about it being "lengthy". Listing every rotation you did in pharmacy school/residency wouldn't be unusual. The universities award post graduate qualifications, they are more similar to having a Pharm.D. than a residency, which is why I never pursued anything. Postgraduate study in Pharmacy - The University of Auckland Kiwis like having letters after their names. Every pharmacy organization you join will give you a new set of letters. You already have a good start with the qualifications. Note: if you haven't already, read about Tall Poppy syndrome. Simply, nobody likes a braggart. Understate when you sell yourself.

Immigration: A work visa is a much better plan. I had applied for residency before really thinking about finding a job, as the points system in place at the time seemed like a slam dunk.

Finally: I'd absolutely recommend doing this. I would treat it as a vacation, then you won't worry about how little you're making. If you end up being there permanently, that's good too. I've probably harped too long on how expensive everything is/how little money you'll have. The outdoors are pretty much free and nobody being in a hurry will add years to your life. We've had go bags packed a couple of times in the last 5 years; had I known covid was going to last this long, I would have moved back two years ago. Financially, I'm a little behind where I'd be if we hadn't gone over there (maybe a lot behind. I was in the corporate world before moving there and all my old coworkers are now independently wealthy from stock options/splits), but my retirement plan includes sending both children there for University; get your kids residency as soon as you can.

Feel free to DM me with any other questions. I'm sure everyone else is bored to death with this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
At my hospital, there wasn't much role for a pharmacist prescriber. My coworker who had gone through the program refused to do any prescribing as he felt he wasn't being compensated and would be taking on additional liability. Which is sort of silly as there's pretty much no personal liability in NZ. I believe my boss had envisioned something like him rounding with the cardiac team and then putting everyone on aspirin/statin/beta-blocker, etc. It seemed like a poor use of a resource to me.

NZ internship: my pharmacy school still had an externship or clerkship, or something like that when I attended. It was like 6 weeks in a community pharmacy and then 6 weeks in a hospital over the summer. I think it carried over from the pre-Pharm.D. days. Pretty much slave labor. A NZ internship is like that, only it's a year and they get paid a solid $20 an hour. Maybe a little more now. My hospital tried to do some education with them; they get a preceptor that they meet with at weekly-ish, but they are mostly there for the cheap labor. There are very few pediatric (liquid) dosage forms available in NZ...so the interns would get called down to the pharmacy to compound things on a daily basis. I imagine a community internship would be dreadful.

Interviews: The country was definitely more desperate for pharmacists then, but I suspect they're still a shortage of hospital trained pharmacists. Some tips for getting interviews: contact the director or clinical director directly. Their name is usually in the job listing: Job Details | Careers - Auckland DHB Being in the country is a definite advantage. They get contacted all the time from people who are "thinking about moving". If memory serves, I had set up more of a conversation, rather than an interview with two DHBs. One was the day before I took the CAOP (fresh off a plane) and one the day after. At both sites, they said "as long as you're here, why don't we put you through a real interview?" I set up a third one while checking my email on the free wifi at Te Papa...I think I got an email alert about a job posting. Made a phone call and took a cab over there. I'm 12 years older now and reading all this just sounds exhausting. I believe I had 2 firm offers before I had CAOP results...I didn't ask what happens if I hadn't passed. The job I ultimately accepted was set up from the US (after I had passed CAOP and when I had more approximate arrival dates) completely by phone. I think we were supposed to do Skype, but one of us was having technical difficulties. I'm guessing it wasn't me. Interview tip: read up on the Treaty of Waitangi, particularly with how it relates to health care. It will be counterintuitive to most of what you know as an American.

Money: We sold our house prior to moving. I paid off my student loans, which weren't insubstantial with the proceeds and had maybe $100k left over. I also ended up with what I'll call a very generous year end bonus/severance from the job I was quitting. I remember comparing that check to what I would be making in NZ and thinking I could live for six months to a year on it. Payroll deductions are less: there's no medicare/ssn, you're not paying for health insurance (unless you feel the need to buy private insurance), and my tax burden was considerably lower (but only because I made so much less money). Kiwisaver is like a government run 401k. When I was there, employers were required to match your contributions up to 2% (it might be 4% now). I went from maxing out a 401k in the US to contributing 2% to my retirement. And most Kiwis end up pulling the money out to use as a down payment on a home (which is allowed for your first home purchase). I suspect your friends in Wellington got there at a good time and bought a house for <$200k in cash. They probably bought additional property over the years. It's the Kiwi way, but unfortunately much harder to do now. In my opinion, you need a million US in most of the country for a house that would be comfortable for an American, and much more than that in Auckland. Interest rates are higher and a "fixed rate" is fixed for only 5 years. Most Kiwis have a floating rate that adjusts every month. It encourages them to pay it back faster (and the rate is lower).

A little more on money (I could write a book on this): What you should pay attention to is the trifecta of high costs. New Zealand is more like Hawaii than anywhere else in the US. You get expensive real estate, you get expensive energy costs (not just gas; think heat!), you get expensive food. Also, start up costs are huge. Most people recommend bringing as much stuff as you can and then selling anything you don't need. Say you're renting a house when you get here (note: rent is paid weekly if the listed amounts don't look that bad). The landlord says you need to take care of the garden. So you go to the store that looks like Home Depot, and decide to buy an old fashioned push mower because this is only temporary and it's a small lawn. https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/power-garden-tools/lawn-mowers/hand-mowers/c/RF5297 $149NZ (about $100US) for the cheapest mower. Maybe it's higher quality than the $60 mower you could have bought at Home Depot Manual - Lawn Mowers - Outdoor Power Equipment - The Home Depot but my experience has been the opposite. The low end of anything in New Zealand is like Dollar Store quality in the US.

Another example: I'm an avid cyclist. I could shop around on the internet for bicycle tubes and find roughly similar prices to the US, let's say $5US for a Continental road tube. But if I've got a flat while riding and have to stop at the local bike shop, it will run as easy $25 NZ ($17 US). That's an $8-$10 item in an expensive American bike shop.

I'll stop talking about money after: Economists talk about the Big Mac Index, it compares the value of money in various countries. Those are fairly similar between Los Angeles and Auckland. Maybe $8US for a Big Mac Extra Value Meal in Los Angeles and $12.50NZ in Auckland, which is pretty similar when you add on sales tax in LA, which is included in NZ. But that doesn't take into account the salary hit you'll be taking. So I like to use my own formula: time worked for a Big Mac Extra Value Meal. At my current job, it's just over 6 minutes. My best guess at what I'd be worth in New Zealand today puts the number at just over 18 minutes. I don't even like McDonald's and almost never eat there, but I started seriously thinking about leaving for the first time when my second child was born. I took the older one to a McDonald's while my wife was in the hospital with the new one. While she was playing in the McDonald's Playground (which most McDonald's there have), having the most fun ever, I realized eating at McDonald's was a luxury. We were getting by fine, but I was used to doing better than just getting by.

Board Certification: I would not expect anyone to see the value of the certification, but the experience you have would be looked upon favorably, particularly the critical care. I've read a 4 page CV is ideal for New Zealand; Kiwis will put information from high school on theirs to make them longer. Mine clocked in at six pages and I did get a couple of comments about it being "lengthy". Listing every rotation you did in pharmacy school/residency wouldn't be unusual. The universities award post graduate qualifications, they are more similar to having a Pharm.D. than a residency, which is why I never pursued anything. Postgraduate study in Pharmacy - The University of Auckland Kiwis like having letters after their names. Every pharmacy organization you join will give you a new set of letters. You already have a good start with the qualifications. Note: if you haven't already, read about Tall Poppy syndrome. Simply, nobody likes a braggart. Understate when you sell yourself.

Immigration: A work visa is a much better plan. I had applied for residency before really thinking about finding a job, as the points system in place at the time seemed like a slam dunk.

Finally: I'd absolutely recommend doing this. I would treat it as a vacation, then you won't worry about how little you're making. If you end up being there permanently, that's good too. I've probably harped too long on how expensive everything is/how little money you'll have. The outdoors are pretty much free and nobody being in a hurry will add years to your life. We've had go bags packed a couple of times in the last 5 years; had I known covid was going to last this long, I would have moved back two years ago. Financially, I'm a little behind where I'd be if we hadn't gone over there (maybe a lot behind. I was in the corporate world before moving there and all my old coworkers are now independently wealthy from stock options/splits), but my retirement plan includes sending both children there for University; get your kids residency as soon as you can.

Feel free to DM me with any other questions. I'm sure everyone else is bored to death with this thread.
Once again thank you for all of this info.

I really do think this conversation should remain online. As I said there is hardly any good info out there for American PharmDs looking to make the transition to New Zealand. Your perspective is rare, and needed.

With regard to money and maintaining an American standard of living, we understand there will be trade-offs. For us, we have a 2-year-old daughter and the thought of her going to school and having active shooter drills as a normal part of her childhood is abhorrent to us. That alone is worth trading off some creature comforts for. For what it's worth, I heard that due to the 2011 earthquake, Christchurch has many new construction homes that adhere to modern standards of heating and insulation, so it might be a good place to shop (if we can afford it) when we're ready & able. (Supposedly the building codes for insulation and heating were upgraded to modern standards around 2010.)

We've been maxing out our 403(b) the last several years so we've already got a nest egg for retirement. My partner has a small pension coming (about $1200 USD/mo which we can claim in 18 years) plus social security. And my social security payment will be relatively high as well when I retire (much higher than NZ Super payment (their version of Social Security). As I understand it we can claim US social security when we retire. NZ has an agreement with the US to make social security payments directly to expats living in New Zealand, and the US reimburses NZ for the payment. So between the pension paid in US dollars, two social security payments (in US dollars) and our nest egg (in US dollars), not including any Kiwisaver funds we save during our time there, I'm not too worried about our retirement in New Zealand. I also love the idea of not having to wait for medicare to kick in at 65 to retire. If I am ready to retire at 62 or 60, I have the freedom to make that choice.

Your suggestion to contact hiring managers directly is definitely a good one. I did reach out to one hiring manager that I applied to, and she was incredibly helpful and candid. She's the one who let me know that I'd have had an interview had I passed the CAOP already. But, she also confided that the competition for that particular role was strong (it was an infectious disease pharmacist role), and she had several qualified Kiwi applicants. So in the end, it's unlikely I'd have gotten the job in any case. It was also in a large city, so it's probably not a place I could comfortably afford, but I will definitely keep pursuing this strategy as I move forward with job search.

Can I ask which rural DHB you worked for? Any connections you could share? (Feel free to DM me if you'd rather this remains private). I wonder if rural jobs are the best way to get my foot in the door. Maybe I should focus on applying to hospitals in rural DHBs to get my first job and secure a work visa and registration with the Pharmacy Board. Then once I've transitioned from a work visa to a resident visa, I will have more freedom to move around to other areas of the country (if that's what is best for the family.) We would be selling our house in the US, and have a long term goal of buying a house in NZ. We're not going to have enough to buy in any of the big cities (though I haven't checked out the prices in the suburbs). So we may need to end up in a smaller town anyway just for practical purposes.

Re: "tall poppy syndrome", I think that's pretty common across many countries with strong social democracies. Scandanavian countries, which also have an extremely high standard of living and robust economic equality among its citizens, are culturally known for taking down people a peg or two when they flaunt their success. The upshot of this is that while CEOs still make a very comfortable living, they might not be able to afford a private jet. I'm fine with that standard if it means there's less poverty and homelessness on the streets, which is absolutely running rampant right now all up and down cities on the Pacific Coast. Tent cities and shantytowns are the norm in many urban centers, sadly. We've watched our own neighborhood degrade very quickly over the last year, with graffiti, gang tags and homeless camps all over the place. Again, this is another piece of the puzzle as to why we are pursuing a new life in New Zealand. I especially don't want my family to be anywhere near this country if it explodes into a civil war, nor do I want to be here if another pandemic hits, which are both shockingly realistic possibilities at this time.

Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.

This is all very helpful. Thank you.

So things are a little different now. With Covid, you can now take the CAOP online, but it's still outrageously expensive at about $1,400 USD (per attempt!) Also, NZ now awards the designation of "pharmacist prescriber" with a 1-year post graduate course. But, according to the Pharmacy Council, it's unlikely without an equivalent designation in the US that a PharmD (even with PGY1 training) would be automatically awarded this privelege (we were told that even UK pharmacist prescribers have a hard time getting this credential automatically transferred). The dean of Otago told me that the "pharmacist prescriber" is really more of an advanced pharmacy practice designation (which we are very famliar with as PharmDs), and not to get hung up on the "prescribing" part of the title. Currently there are still very few prescribing pharmacists in NZ (I think about 40), as I'm told hospital pharmacists can still do bariatric and renal dosing adjustments, for example, without this designation. I'm also told that it's more common to see pharmacist prescribers in roles like a physician's private practice, for example.

Speaking of PGY1, it would be very helpful for me to know specifically how the PGY1 compares with the NZ internship. This will be great info to go into interviews with. Specifically, in what ways is the PharmD PGY1 training superior to the NZ internship year?

I am very curious about the timeframe of your interviews. I won't have the results of my CAOP until end of May, and I was told by a hiring manager that although my experience warranted serious consideration, she didn't offer an interview because I had not passed the CAOP yet. How did you get 4 job offers having just taken the CAOP? Was this strictly a function of the shortages at the time? (pharmacists are no longer on the NZ job shortages list)

As for the money, did you have US debts saddling you during your time in NZ? I ask because my student loans are paid in full, and as such I've been advised to stop doing the currency conversion because the numbers (cost of goods and salary) are roughly equivalent between US and NZ (with the cost of gas excepted). So if I'm earning $85k and my partner is earning $50, that puts us roughly where we are in the US, and we own a home and max out retirement savings. I've also been told that payroll deductions are significantly less due to the lack of nickel and dimeing that is so common in the US. Some retired American friends of ours who have lived in Wellington since 2005 told us that although they earned less over the lifetime of their careers, they ended up saving a lot more than they could have in the US due to this. What are your feelings about this?

I do have BCCCP and BCPS board certification, but again I'm not sure how (or if) these qualifications would be looked upon by potential hiring managers or the Pharmacy Council. Are there equivalent qualifications for this in NZ? If so, what agency awards them?

Our immigration pathway is pretty clear. We hired the company NZ Shores to assist us. One we've passed the CAOP and secured a job offer, we enter NZ on an essential skills work visa. Once in the country, we apply for the 2021 Residency Visa (if we enter before the cutoff on July 31) or the Skilled Migrant Category Residence Visa (which I imagine is what you entered on, correct?)

Thank you again for your advice. There's so little info available about this online, so your perspective in incredibly valuable.
I am interested in moving to NZ and am researching how to transition my pharmacy license there. I am normally pretty tech savvy, but I feel like such an idiot - I cannot figure out how to apply for an eligibility check to be able to sit for the CAOP. I created an account on the candidate portal, but the only things that come up are to update my personal information and the dashboard, which just has "Register to sit the CAOP exam" and under that it states there are currently no exam sessions available. I was wondering if you could help direct me where to apply for an eligibility check? Thank you, and thank you for starting this conversation!

I am interested in moving to NZ and am researching how to transition my pharmacy license there. I am normally pretty tech savvy, but I feel like such an idiot - I cannot figure out how to apply for an eligibility check to be able to sit for the CAOP. I created an account on the candidate portal, but the only things that come up are to update my personal information and the dashboard, which just has "Register to sit the CAOP exam" and under that it states there are currently no exam sessions available. I was wondering if you could help direct me where to apply for an eligibility check? Thank you, and thank you for starting this conversation!
Glad to help out.

You need to reach out directly, either by email or phone, and let them know that you want to register for New Zealand. Remember, the caop is an Australian exam so a lot of what you read may be referring specifically to Australian applicants and not kiwis. I don't think you need to present any qualifications to sit the caop for New Zealand (you will need to have your Board of Pharmacy mail the New Zealand Pharmacy Council directly your license verification).

Also, the exam is only done three or four times a year. When you email them about your New Zealand registration, you should ask when the next exam period is. Because of covid, they now do online proctored exams but people used to have to travel to London, Australia or New Zealand to sit these exams. So that's one positive thing that's come from covid! We took hours in April, so it's very possible the next one is coming up in July or August so you need to get moving on this.

It is an open book exam, and it's highly recommended that you have the Australian medicines handbook and Australian formulary for reference. The Australian medicines handbook was much more useful than the formulary, and it's definitely worth studying these beforehand. These will be shipped to you from Australia and it can take a while for this to happen (for one of the books they don't have an international order form online and we had to reach out directly to get one).

Bear in mind that certain medicines that are not FDA approved are still used in Australia. And certain drugs have different names. This can throw you off when considering exam questions.

It takes 2 weeks for the exam results to come through, and you'll be given either a pass or fail result. If you pass, you present the pdf certificate to the New Zealand pharmacy Council. Also, you should have your local Board of Pharmacy begin the process of mailing your license verification to new Zealand now, so that there are no delays. It took hours about a month to arrive and be recorded, and we had to have a personal contact at the pharmacy Council who was looking for it and could confirm that they received it.

We didn't have any problem at all finding pharmacist jobs in New zealand. Because the borders have been closed for two years, there's a real need for experienced pharmacists right now. As a PharmD qualifications put you further ahead than many New Zealand pharmacists, who only have a bachelor's degree. If you have clinical experience in the hospital, this is even better because NZ Pharmacy practice is just beginning to use hospital pharmacists in a more aggressive clinical capacity in hospital.

Gisborne and Taranaki are both looking for experienced pharmacists now. We got a job offer even before having passed the caop, however Christchurch and Wellington wouldn't even consider applications without having passed the exam. We still had plenty of interviews and lots of job offers though.

Good luck to you! Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I had forgotten about it and the Supreme Court inspired me to start looking at houses. Thinking maybe Wellington this time. Congrats on the job offer. When are you moving or have you moved already?

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I had forgotten about it and the Supreme Court inspired me to start looking at houses. Thinking maybe Wellington this time. Congrats on the job offer. When are you moving or have you moved already?
We're moving to Taranaki on July 16. Taranaki has just started a new ED Pharmacy and they're trying to staff with experienced hospital pharmacists, which as you noted is difficult to find in New Zealand. This is considered cutting edge for the profession in New Zealand, which is why American PharmD s with hospital experience will have a huge leg up against kiwi pharmacists for these jobs. That's our experience, at least. And while kiwis don't understand what bps certification is, they respect credentials in a way that's unusual to Americans. Even baristas get certified in New Zealand.

The supreme court takeover is just the latest reason why we have to leave; it's just the latest of a long series of dysfunction in this country that's evident when you take a step back and look at the culture realistically, rather than through the tinted goggles of American optimism.

I'm done with Obama style soaring optimism that used to inspire me, because I've lived too long and been disappointed too many times by the failures of America's potential.

We keep telling ourselves this story that we're better than this, and yet things keep getting worse.

There just comes a time when you have a look realistically at the world around you and ask, what if we're *not* better than this? Maybe this is exactly who we are, and we're getting exactly what we deserve.

Last edited:
We're moving to Taranaki on July 16. Taranaki has just started a new ED Pharmacy and they're trying to staff with experienced hospital pharmacists, which as you noted is difficult to find in New Zealand. This is considered cutting edge for the profession in New Zealand, which is why American PharmD s with hospital experience will have a huge leg up against kiwi pharmacists for these jobs. That's our experience, at least. And while kiwis don't understand what bps certification is, they respect credentials in a way that's unusual to Americans. Even baristas get certified in New Zealand.

The supreme court takeover is just the latest reason why we have to leave; it's just the latest of a long series of dysfunction in this country that's evident when you take a step back and look at the culture realistically, rather than through the tinted goggles of American optimism.

I'm done with Obama style soaring optimism that used to inspire me, because I've lived too long and been disappointed too many times by the failures of America's potential.

We keep telling ourselves this story that we're better than this, and yet things keep getting worse.

There just comes a time when you have a look realistically at the world around you and ask, what if we're *not* better than this? Maybe this is exactly who we are, and we're getting exactly what we deserve.
so this is something I agree with you on many levels. So I am a trained ED rph - (15+ years- when I started working in the ED we were one of only 2% of hospitals in the country with a ED dedicated rph) - so this definitely is up my alley - can you tell me what your salary will be there? I googled, definitely a paycut to say the least, but willing to take a cut within reason for the reasons you stated. Also, depends on what the wife is able to do there (she is a PT)

so this is something I agree with you on many levels. So I am a trained ED rph - (15+ years- when I started working in the ED we were one of only 2% of hospitals in the country with a ED dedicated rph) - so this definitely is up my alley - can you tell me what your salary will be there? I googled, definitely a paycut to say the least, but willing to take a cut within reason for the reasons you stated. Also, depends on what the wife is able to do there (she is a PT)

I can help with your wife: In New Zealand, she'd be a physiotherapist. Here's the Waikato/Bay Of Plenty DHB contract. Wages are on page 7: https://www.bopdhb.health.nz/media/...physiotherapy-meca-2021-2023-fully-signed.pdf That looks pretty comparable to US wages to me, though I'm no expert.

PS: All things being equal, I'd recommend living in the Bay of Plenty of Waikato.

I can help with your wife: In New Zealand, she'd be a physiotherapist. Here's the Waikato/Bay Of Plenty DHB contract. Wages are on page 7: https://www.bopdhb.health.nz/media/...physiotherapy-meca-2021-2023-fully-signed.pdf That looks pretty comparable to US wages to me, though I'm no expert.

PS: All things being equal, I'd recommend living in the Bay of Plenty of Waikato.
thanks- she is actually an OT- I hit the wrong key (I just woke up from night shift lol and the P is next to the O - ironically the typo made sense)

Yes you're right, it's definitely a salary cut. If you have debts to be paid off in US dollars, like student loans or anything else, it's probably not going to be viable with the exchange rate as it is.

Most Hospital pharmacist salaries are covered under Union contracts, with predetermined pay grade levels based upon qualifications and experience. Pharmacists start out making about $40,000 at the bottom of the pay grade scale (postgraduate interns) and at the top which is generally level 17, it's about $110,000. (This varies depending on the contract that covers your hospital). One interesting detail is that there are some hospitals which are not covered by a union contract, but which have a union style contract that provides many of the same wages and benefits found in the union contracts.

American qualifications don't translate directly to New Zealand pay scales, so you have to make your case to get on the higher side of the salary scale. If you're a PharmD, that helps because the highest pharmacy qualification in New Zealand is a masters. we were offered lots of lower level positions which capped out at about 80,000. You have to get a senior, lead or manager pharmacist position to access the higher salary tiers.

Gisborne is a pretty remote although very pleasant place to live from what I understand and they were extremely generous in the offer they made to us, including a comprehensive relocation package and high salary. They have a small seven person pharmacy at their hospital, which has only about 120 beds. But they have gorgeous beaches in a sunny Mediterranean environment.

Also, there are lots of changes coming to the way the healthcare system is structured. Currently there are about 20 district Health boards (DHBs) and each one oversees a certain number of hospitals. They're all being consolidated under one umbrella organization called Health NZ as of July 1, so this probably means many of the Union contracts will be consolidated under one at some point in the future, while everything settles down.

Also, keep in mind that the lower salary you earn may not be too different from your take-home pay (in whole numbers, not considering the conversion rate which is irrelevant if you're living in buying things in New Zealand). There is one chunk of money taken out of your paycheck, and it's very consistent. There's a calculator you can use online that will give you exactly the amount of your take home pay. There's none of the nickel and diming that happens in US paychecks- one amount comes out and it covers everything. Healthcare, accident insurance, unemployment benefits, it's all included. Also, keep in mind that the price you see is the price you pay. There's no tipping or sales tax on anything you buy there. That can really add up. And there's no deductibles to meet for health insurance, and your out of pocket costs are about $40-$70 NZD for a doctor's office visit. If you have little children, preschool is free, and if you have older kids college is extremely affordable.

You need to take all of this into consideration when considering the salary cut.

Last edited:
Gisborne and Taranaki are both looking for experienced pharmacists now. We got a job offer even before having passed the caop, however Christchurch and Wellington wouldn't even consider applications without having passed the exam. We still had plenty of interviews and lots of job offers though.

Thank you so much for the information! This has been super helpful. A couple questions:

Is your SO a pharmacist as well? I ask because my SO is as well; we do like rural areas but our concern has always been if we both will be able to find jobs in a rural area. Did you run into any issues or were you both able to get offers in the same area(s) pretty easily?

What made you decide on Taranaki? Was it the job, the area, or both?

Did you have any trouble finding a place to stay? I've read a lot of online doom and gloom about housing in NZ, but I'm curious if that was your experience or if it's more just people being overdramatic on the internet.

I saw you used NZ Shores, did you find them helpful/would you recommend them?

How would you say the CAOP compares difficulty wise to BCPS? I'm planning on sitting for it in August so fingers crossed lol.

I say "we" because we're migrating as a family, not because we are both pharmacists :)

The bcps and caop are very different because bcps is heavily focused on clinical knowledge and Caop is open book and tests very generally and really is more an exercise in time management. The AMH (Australia medicines handbook) was by far the most useful reference to use during the test. My suggestion is you can skip purchasing the formulary.

NZ shores is very helpful for us because we are working on a very tight timeframe in order to qualify for a fast tracked residency visa. We could probably have done it ourselves but having a professional doing it right is really important when your deadline is tight. Our family of 3 costs about 5500 USD which is paid in tiers and you can choose at any time not to proceed. For example if after arriving and settling in to your job you decide to filevyour residency visa yourself, you can stop and don't have to continue paying any more fees.

The hospital is providing us free furnished housing on site for the first month and we have a highly subsidized rent until November, hopefully our things will have arrived by then and we will have an unfurnished rental.

We learned that Gisborne hospital is looking for a chief pharmacist, and middlemore (south Auckland) is looking to hire a emergency Dept Pharmacist supervisor. These are great jobs for experienced American hospital pharmacists with the right qualifications because most kiwi pharmacists will not have extensive clinical hospital experience.

Last edited:
I say "we" because we're migrating as a family, not because we are both pharmacists :)

The bcps and caop are very different because bcps is heavily focused on clinical knowledge and Caop is open book and tests very generally and really is more an exercise in time management. The AMH (Australia medicines handbook) was by far the most useful reference to use during the test. My suggestion is you can skip purchasing the formulary.

NZ shores is very helpful for us because we are working on a very tight timeframe in order to qualify for a fast tracked residency visa. We could probably have done it ourselves but having a professional doing it right is really important when your deadline is tight. Our family of 3 costs about 5500 USD which is paid in tiers and you can choose at any time not to proceed. For example if after arriving and settling in to your job you decide to filevyour residency visa yourself, you can stop and don't have to continue paying any more fees.

The hospital is providing us free furnished housing on site for the first month and we have a highly subsidized rent until November, hopefully our things will have arrived by then and we will have an unfurnished rental.

We learned that Gisborne hospital is looking for a chief pharmacist, and middlemore (south Auckland) is looking to hire a emergency Dept Pharmacist supervisor. These are great jobs for experienced American hospital pharmacists with the right qualifications because most kiwi pharmacists will not have extensive clinical hospital experience.

I'll just add: anyone who passed Nabplex can pass CAOP. It's just a question of can you do it within the allotted 3 hours, or whatever they give.

We did our immigration stuff ourselves; it's pretty straight forward if you've found a job already. More difficult (as a pharmacist) if you're still hunting. In retrospect, I would have made my wife the primary as her credentials did not require all the hoops I had to jump through. IMO paying an immigration service is like paying someone to do your taxes. They'll filling in the same boxes on the same software as you. It's worth it on taxes because it's only a couple hundred dollars. $5k seems outrageous to me.

RE housing: We started in a hotel for a couple of days, quickly found a long term rental (either on trademe or from a property manager, I can't remember), but the tenants wouldn't be out for a few weeks (moving in on the 1st of the month is common). We filled in that time with bookabach, which is now under the vrbo/expedia umbrella. Arriving between March and September will make your house hunt easier. We also bought a car at a Turners auction in Auckland the day we landed. I wouldn't recommend that for everyone, but consumer protection laws are such that I felt pretty safe. Schleima: It sounds like you struck a good deal. I was unable to get any kind of housing or relocation assistance.

One more thing from a previous post (sorry I don't know how to quote from more than one):

"Also, keep in mind that the lower salary you earn may not be too different from your take-home pay (in whole numbers, not considering the conversion rate which is irrelevant if you're living in buying things in New Zealand)."

I can't stress enough how expensive everything felt for us and how differently most kiwis live. Many Americans planning such a move rationalize the pay cut/increased expenses with statements like "We want to simplify our lives" and "We love the outdoors". That sounds good until winter hits and you want to heat your house. And the outdoors are not a lot of fun when it's raining. A little Kiwi culture shock: one of the junior house offices (something like an intern or first year medical resident) said something to me about one of our pharmacy interns (first year pharmacist making about $40k NZ a year). "Her family has money, she drives an almost new Corolla." That sounded so crazy to me...and the Corolla turned out to be 7 years old. But the house officer was correct, her father owned a half dozen car rental locations. He had a personal exotic car collection. Many of the (male) house officers drove 15 to 20 year old BMWs. You could pick one up for 6 or 8 thousand $NZ and then easily spend that each year in maintenance.

We had a wonderful offer from one DHB and the other DHB (which we accepted) agreed to more or less match the offer (furnished on-site temp housing, car rental, plane tickets, relocation costs all fully or partially reimbursed.)

Our fast track pathway to residency (under the one-off 2021 resident visa) depended upon our being in New Zealand with a job offer before July 31. We decided to try migrating in February. We couldn't risk doing *anything* wrong or we would have lost our fast track to residency, and between studying for CAOP, applying for jobs, interviewing and selling the house while managing the emotional and physical needs of a toddler, we were very happy to offload the visa part to an immigration advisor. Well worth the $5500. They're fully qualified and trained on INZ immigration policy and laws and will not make the sort of mistakes a layman could (like misinterpreting language to mean something slightly different than what INZ intended, 9rv not providing enough it the right kind of documentation, or not choosing the correct migration pathway). We already went through this once with US immigration and we did it ourselves, and did it right the first time. But we did require a consultation with an immigration attorney, and we were not in any kind of tight timeframe to get it done. It's not a question of whether we could do it, it's a matter of resource allocation.

Had we been applying on the standard skilled migrant visa and didn't have the July 31 deadline, we'd have done the NZ visas ourselves. Also I've thing to keep in mind is that immigration advisors have a fast way to access INZ agents whereas you might have to wait on the phone for 2 hours to get your call answered (which was a common story from me sister who lives in NZ and is following the same via pathway).

Immigration advisors also know what questions to ask and how to interpret specific language that might be misinterpreted by someone unfamiliar with NZ immigration law. There are definite benefits to hiring a professional.

Also the CAOP is currently 70 questions over 2 hours. It's really tight and challenges your time management skills more than anything.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information! This has been super helpful. A couple questions:

Is your SO a pharmacist as well? I ask because my SO is as well; we do like rural areas but our concern has always been if we both will be able to find jobs in a rural area. Did you run into any issues or were you both able to get offers in the same area(s) pretty easily?

What made you decide on Taranaki? Was it the job, the area, or both?

Did you have any trouble finding a place to stay? I've read a lot of online doom and gloom about housing in NZ, but I'm curious if that was your experience or if it's more just people being overdramatic on the internet.

I saw you used NZ Shores, did you find them helpful/would you recommend them?

How would you say the CAOP compares difficulty wise to BCPS? I'm planning on sitting for it in August so fingers crossed lol.
Forgot to address your question "why Taranaki?"

It was a combo of the job, the pay and relocation package. Many of the positions I applied for and received job offers for were staff pharmacist level, 8 or below on the union pay scale and these salaries cap at about 80-90k NZD. (I applied for lots of jobs becausei had no idea how my foreign credentials would be viewed, so I thought i might have to startout at a lower pay scale). For higher pay scale you have to have a senior lead or manager position. One of those finally came along and it was a great for my training and interests. Plus the highest academic certification for pharmacists in NZ is a masters, so the pharmd is something of an impressive curiosity to them. (Way more UK pharmacists than North American ones in NZ). NZ is slowly expanding the role of clinical pharmacists and Taranaki just created a brand new ED Pharmacy. New to them, but totally normal for an American trained hospital pharmacist, so my experience and bcccp certification was a great fit. Plus Taranaki is one of the more affordable regions to buy a house (it's all expensive, however, but in Taranaki it's 700k NZD vs 1.3mil in auckland or Wellington), and is absolutely gorgeous if a bit more on the rural side of things.

FYI other hospitals seem to be following the example of expanding the role of pharmacists into the ED. Middlemore hospital in Auckland just opened a similar position for a lead ED pharmacist, but better the salary is probably similar to Taranaki you'll be living a much poorer lifestyle, like you would in most big cities.

As for sacrificing the American lifestyle, with the current political situation in the US I'm quite convinced that most Americans will be taking a dramatic hit in their lifestyles in the coming years. We will be very happy to watch it all from a very safe distance in our little corner if the world.

Last edited:

It was a combo of the job, the pay and relocation package. Many of the positions I applied for and received job offers for were staff pharmacist level, 8 or below on the union pay scale and these salaries cap at about 80-90k NZD. (I applied for lots of jobs becausei had no idea how my foreign credentials would be viewed, so I thought i might have to startout at a lower pay scale). For higher pay scale you have to have a senior lead or manager position. One of those finally came along and it was a great for my training and interests. Plus the highest academic certification for pharmacists in NZ is a masters, so the pharmd is something of an impressive curiosity to them. (Way more UK pharmacists than North American ones in NZ). NZ is slowly expanding the role of clinical pharmacists and Taranaki just created a brand new ED Pharmacy. New to them, but totally normal for an American trained hospital pharmacist, so my experience and bcccp certification was a great fit. Plus Taranaki is one of the more affordable regions to buy a house (it's all expensive, however, but in Taranaki it's 700k NZD vs 1.3mil in auckland or Wellington), and is absolutely gorgeous if a bit more on the rural side of things.

FYI other hospitals seem to be following the example of expanding the role of pharmacists into the ED. Middlemore hospital in Auckland just opened a similar position for a lead ED pharmacist, but better the salary is probably similar to Taranaki you'll be living a much poorer lifestyle, like you would in most big cities.

As for sacrificing the American lifestyle, with the current political situation in the US I'm quite convinced that most Americans will be taking a dramatic hit in their lifestyles in the coming years. We will be very happy to watch it all from a very safe distance in our little corner if the world.

Just cruising New Plymouth rental listings. I don't know the area well, but it looks like we'd be in the $700 a week range to get a place where my wife wouldn't immediately be making us move. Houses for sale look remarkably affordable (for New Zealand). https://www.realestate.co.nz/42184792/residential/sale/58-brooklands-road-brooklands Do you have any idea how popular I'd be (at least for 3 months a year) with this pool? OTOH: Too many Americans in New Plymouth. And they're all petroleum engineers. You know how all engineers are kind of weird and all Americans who choose to live in another country are kind of weird? Well the effect is synergistic.

Just cruising New Plymouth rental listings. I don't know the area well, but it looks like we'd be in the $700 a week range to get a place where my wife wouldn't immediately be making us move. Houses for sale look remarkably affordable (for New Zealand). https://www.realestate.co.nz/42184792/residential/sale/58-brooklands-road-brooklands Do you have any idea how popular I'd be (at least for 3 months a year) with this pool? OTOH: Too many Americans in New Plymouth. And they're all petroleum engineers. You know how all engineers are kind of weird and all Americans who choose to live in another country are kind of weird? Well the effect is synergistic.
One local I talked with who learned we were migrating asked if we were in the petroleum industry. I found it a rather odd curiosity but it makes sense now that you've mentioned this.

I love this video

• Haha

I agree with this sentiment. As an immigrant that endured many hardships (had to fly PanAm economy class with two long layovers) to get here, I just don't see any benefit to uprooting my family and moving to NZ. And to do all this solely based on my country's response to COVID, is not for me. Having traveled extensively, I find that people, overwhelmingly, want to be here, to live like us. And trust me on this, most people throughout the world DO NOT want us there, the ugly American stereotype, and they will let you know it. Just look at how we treat immigrants here, "taking our jobs and using our resources". Well the same goes on everywhere else, maybe even harsher.
But then again, you live in a free society (rare in this world). You can choose to leave. And best of luck.

I agree with this sentiment. As an immigrant that endured many hardships (had to fly PanAm economy class with two long layovers) to get here, I just don't see any benefit to uprooting my family and moving to NZ. And to do all this solely based on my country's response to COVID, is not for me. Having traveled extensively, I find that people, overwhelmingly, want to be here, to live like us. And trust me on this, most people throughout the world DO NOT want us there, the ugly American stereotype, and they will let you know it. Just look at how we treat immigrants here, "taking our jobs and using our resources". Well the same goes on everywhere else, maybe even harsher.
But then again, you live in a free society (rare in this world). You can choose to leave. And best of luck.
We've also traveled extensively and have gone through the US green card and naturalization process. Our friends and family abroad (many of whom previously were predisposed to liking the US) are asking us what is going wrong with the USA. They can't understand how the wealthiest country in the world has the highest covid death rate per capita of any other country, nor can they understand our apparent potential political backslide into totalitarianism. And the only thing I can say (as someone who has born here) is that the myth of American exceptionalism is a story we repeat so often that we have stopped questioning it. And that's not to say America isn't exceptional in some regards- it is. But it is not impervious to the slings and arrows that have dogged civilizations throughout human history. We're at a perilous point here in America, and NZ is not. That's the bottom line. And when you have a 2 year old to raise like we do, the choice is pretty clear.

Reactions: 4 users
We've also traveled extensively and have gone through the US green card and naturalization process. Our friends and family abroad (many of whom previously were predisposed to liking the US) are asking us what is going wrong with the USA. They can't understand how the wealthiest country in the world has the highest covid death rate per capita of any other country, nor can they understand our apparent potential political backslide into totalitarianism. And the only thing I can say (as someone who has born here) is that the myth of American exceptionalism is a story we repeat so often that we have stopped questioning it. And that's not to say America isn't exceptional in some regards- it is. But it is not impervious to the slings and arrows that have dogged civilizations throughout human history. We're at a perilous point here in America, and NZ is not. That's the bottom line. And when you have a 2 year old to raise like we do, the choice is pretty clear.
I agree with your sentiments, but basing my whole future, and the future of my family, on this country's response to COVID, is extreme. I am not going to be an apologist for this nation, but the previous clown administration set us back 50 years. We are digging out of a DEEP hole. This country will be great again. And to everyone that is leaving the US for greener pastures: best of luck.

I agree with your sentiments, but basing my whole future, and the future of my family, on this country's response to COVID, is extreme. I am not going to be an apologist for this nation, but the previous clown administration set us back 50 years. We are digging out of a DEEP hole. This country will be great again. And to everyone that is leaving the US for greener pastures: best of luck.
When did I say covid was the *only* reason?

I said it was the last straw, and then listed out a bunch of other reasons.

When did I say covid was the *only* reason?

I said it was the last straw, and then listed out a bunch of other reasons.
I’ve found people get kind of angry when you tell them you’re moving to New Zealand. I mean, after they realize you’re really going. It’s kind of like breaking up with someone, or at least like going off to college and leaving your high school significant other behind. What RXDOC1986 really means is “You’re quite brave to undertake such and adventure. I wish I could do that, but there’s too much tying me to home.”

I’ve found people get kind of angry when you tell them you’re moving to New Zealand. I mean, after they realize you’re really going. It’s kind of like breaking up with someone, or at least like going off to college and leaving your high school significant other behind. What RXDOC1986 really means is “You’re quite brave to undertake such and adventure. I wish I could do that, but there’s too much tying me to home.”
That is exactly what I meant to say. Curse this ESL situation.

Anybody else thinking of buying kiwibucks? I was going to go all in when 1USD=2NZD. Should this be in the much more popular investment thread?

Anybody else thinking of buying kiwibucks? I was going to go all in when 1USD=2NZD. Should this be in the much more popular investment thread?
Yes. Most people don't know this subforum exists.

"As for sacrificing the American lifestyle, with the current political situation in the US I'm quite convinced that most Americans will be taking a dramatic hit in their lifestyles in the coming years. We will be very happy to watch it all from a very safe distance in our little corner if the world."

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I am so very glad that I found this forum as I am currently pursuing the same path for exactly the same reasons. I just don't feel as though my family is safe here any longer. I just want to express my gratitude towards you for having provided a plethora of knowledge on this subject. Hopefully, we will be in New Zealand by this time next year.

Schleima, you've got to be like 6 months in now. How are things going?

Schleima, you've got to be like 6 months in now. How are things going?
Hi there

Sorry for the delay in responding.

We've been here since 18 July and received our resident visas a couple of weeks ago. So we're officially official! 5 years until we get to swear allegiance to King Charles and get our black passports.

Since I started this thread, pharmacists have been added to the "tier 1 green list" which means that anyone reading this that wants to work in New Zealand can qualify for immediate residency with a job offer. That's a way easier pathway than what we took, and oyr pathway was technically streamlined (because we didn't have to deal with the "points" system).

This is really important because hospital pharmacists especially are in huge demand. It's hard to see from outside NZ, but for example our hospital has had 2.3 FTE open for over a year. Qualified candidates for ED Pharmacy are not coming from New Zealand... If they are, they will generally need to be trained on the job as they will have had no practical training as part of their education. We have to import pharmacists from America to get qualified, experienced candidates. This problem is further compounded by the fact that we have qualified American candidates who occasionally apply, and it's a huge battle to get them a salary that is not insulting. I was lucky coming in at a much higher step than is typical, but that is because I had an equivalent high offer from another DHB as bargaining leverage.

Reading back through your posts, I can confirm that you were really spot on with your analysis of life in NZ as a pharmacist. We managed to find a small but nice new build 3br/2 ba home to rent at $615/week. Our daughter attends a wonderful Montessori preschool for a tiny fraction of what we'd be paying in the USA (we pay $650 every ten weeks here, instead of $1,600 per *month*). So immediately that offsets sone of the salary differential. Power, internet and gas bill is roughly $300 monthly. Water is not metered, and so is free (paid by the owner as a lump sum annually) as is rubbish collection.

We bought a ten year old low mileage plug in prius, which is a great car for New Zealand as it gets about 90 mpg in the city (60 on highways) and we usually only need to top up the tank every month or so. And the car was only $14,500 nzd (which aligned with the AA vaiuation) whereas the Kelly Blue Book value for the same car was around $25,000 USD.

And while the payroll tax deductions are very sightly higher in NZ, they are far less when you begin to factor in the multitudinous US deductions for insurance, social security, unemployment etc. And don't get me started on the deductibles, copays, etc that are not calculated in to payroll but still have an impact on the money you actually get to keep for yourself.

Healthcare is quite straightforward and nearly free. You register with a GP and that's essentially the only person you ever pay. A visit costs $58, but any labs, specialist referrals, procedures like radiology that come from that $58 visit, is all free. And if you have to see the GP (or go to the hospital) due to an accident, the national accident insurance kicks in and you pay less (or nothing). Ambulance rides for example are free if it's due to an accident, $90 if not. And all prescriptions, no matter what it is, cost $5. Unless you go to one of the large discount pharmacies, in which case they waive the $5 and it's free. All of the savings that come from this healthcare system are significant and need to be considered when you look at that lower salary you'll be getting. Oh, and children (under 14) are completely free.

We're going in to winter now, and it is getting a bit chilly. And the way kiwis heat their houses is that they don't fully. There's usually a heat pump or wood stove in the lounge (living room) but the bedrooms have nothing. This can be a real problem, especially if you have an older, drafty house. Colleagues have warned us about not using the heat pump excessively or we will see skyhigh power bills. Our house is constant enough with an extra wool blanket thrown on the bed.

Food is definitely a huge expense. It's shocking how much things cost at the grocery store, and it's a constant conversation and point of stress among kiwis. Costco recently opened in Auckland and there's hope that they put pressure on the kiwi grocery duopoly, driving down prices. But the general answer is but what's in said, and buy in season. One need only look at $60/kilo for USA summer limes, and now you can get NZ limes for like $3/kilo. That's a more dramatic example, but it's very true.

I really do have a lot of great colleagues at the hospital, both kiwis and migrants. The American docs especially appreciate having a pharmacist, even if the kiwi docs and nurses are not used to having us around. And little by little we are making ED Pharmacy services known, and now they are beginning to ask for us specifically, which is great. But right now I'm the only one on the team that is comfortable responding to resus so we really need to fully staff up so I can have a break once in a while :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there

Sorry for the delay in responding.

We've been here since 18 July and received our resident visas a couple of weeks ago. So we're officially official! 5 years until we get to swear allegiance to King Charles and get our black passports.

Since I started this thread, pharmacists have been added to the "tier 1 green list" which means that anyone reading this that wants to work in New Zealand can qualify for immediate residency with a job offer. That's a way easier pathway than what we took, and oyr pathway was technically streamlined (because we didn't have to deal with the "points" system).

This is really important because hospital pharmacists especially are in huge demand. It's hard to see from outside NZ, but for example our hospital has had 2.3 FTE open for over a year. Qualified candidates for ED Pharmacy are not coming from New Zealand... If they are, they will generally need to be trained on the job as they will have had no practical training as part of their education. We have to import pharmacists from America to get qualified, experienced candidates. This problem is further compounded by the fact that we have qualified American candidates who occasionally apply, and it's a huge battle to get them a salary that is not insulting. I was lucky coming in at a much higher step than is typical, but that is because I had an equivalent high offer from another DHB as bargaining leverage.

Reading back through your posts, I can confirm that you were really spot on with your analysis of life in NZ as a pharmacist. We managed to find a small but nice new build 3br/2 ba home to rent at $615/week. Our daughter attends a wonderful Montessori preschool for a tiny fraction of what we'd be paying in the USA (we pay $650 every ten weeks here, instead of $1,600 per *month*). So immediately that offsets sone of the salary differential. Power, internet and gas bill is roughly $300 monthly. Water is not metered, and so is free (paid by the owner as a lump sum annually) as is rubbish collection.

We bought a ten year old low mileage plug in prius, which is a great car for New Zealand as it gets about 90 mpg in the city (60 on highways) and we usually only need to top up the tank every month or so. And the car was only $14,500 nzd (which aligned with the AA vaiuation) whereas the Kelly Blue Book value for the same car was around $25,000 USD.

And while the payroll tax deductions are very sightly higher in NZ, they are far less when you begin to factor in the multitudinous US deductions for insurance, social security, unemployment etc. And don't get me started on the deductibles, copays, etc that are not calculated in to payroll but still have an impact on the money you actually get to keep for yourself.

Healthcare is quite straightforward and nearly free. You register with a GP and that's essentially the only person you ever pay. A visit costs $58, but any labs, specialist referrals, procedures like radiology that come from that $58 visit, is all free. And if you have to see the GP (or go to the hospital) due to an accident, the national accident insurance kicks in and you pay less (or nothing). Ambulance rides for example are free if it's due to an accident, $90 if not. And all prescriptions, no matter what it is, cost $5. Unless you go to one of the large discount pharmacies, in which case they waive the $5 and it's free. All of the savings that come from this healthcare system are significant and need to be considered when you look at that lower salary you'll be getting. Oh, and children (under 14) are completely free.

We're going in to winter now, and it is getting a bit chilly. And the way kiwis heat their houses is that they don't fully. There's usually a heat pump or wood stove in the lounge (living room) but the bedrooms have nothing. This can be a real problem, especially if you have an older, drafty house. Colleagues have warned us about not using the heat pump excessively or we will see skyhigh power bills. Our house is constant enough with an extra wool blanket thrown on the bed.

Food is definitely a huge expense. It's shocking how much things cost at the grocery store, and it's a constant conversation and point of stress among kiwis. Costco recently opened in Auckland and there's hope that they put pressure on the kiwi grocery duopoly, driving down prices. But the general answer is but what's in said, and buy in season. One need only look at $60/kilo for USA summer limes, and now you can get NZ limes for like $3/kilo. That's a more dramatic example, but it's very true.

I really do have a lot of great colleagues at the hospital, both kiwis and migrants. The American docs especially appreciate having a pharmacist, even if the kiwi docs and nurses are not used to having us around. And little by little we are making ED Pharmacy services known, and now they are beginning to ask for us specifically, which is great. But right now I'm the only one on the team that is comfortable responding to resus so we really need to fully staff up so I can have a break once in a while :)
Thank you for this detailed post. That sounds wonderful. I hope I get to move there someday as US is no longer a good place to raise kids.
Just wondering are there any specialty pharmacies in NZ? I am not hospital pharmacy trained so not sure if they would even consider someone like me.

Last edited:
Thank you for this detailed post. That sounds wonderful. I hope I get to move there someday as US is no longer a good place to raise kids.
Just wondering are there any specialty pharmacies in NZ? I am not hospital pharmacy trained so not sure if they would even consider someone like me.
They absolutely would consider you. You've got to shift out of the American mindset because kiwis don't even fully understand that pharmacists belong in hospital, though that expectation is changing. Remember that most kiwi pharmacists who apply for hospital jobs will have little experience working at a hospital.

As @sunnyandseventytwo mentioned, kiwi pharmacist school is a 4 year bachelor degree with a 1 year internship. It's just not comparable with the level of training you've received with a PharmD. They go to school with the expectation that they will be dispensing pills, administering vaccines and offering community advice, not attending to stroke patients in the resus bay. And the pay for starting pharmacists especially reflects this. Otago University doesn't even really have an established relationship with the hospital next door, as pharmacist rotations aren't as commonly done. So if you apply to a hospital pharmacy job, you will likely be considered. Obviously someone with years of hospital experience would be preferred, but those candidates are not flooding the HR department with CVs.

Jobs are posted on the NZ hospital pharmacist association page, and on kiwihealthjobs. The search function on that page is a bit quirky but basically you'll want to expand the search in this order (do not check any boxes until indicated): first expand "clinical" then expand "allied health" and then finally check the "pharmacist" box and click search. (Pharmacists are considered part of "allied health"). Jobs are mostly all union represented in a predetermined pay scale (steps 1 - 17), and where they slot you in to that scale will have a lingering effect on your career in New Zealand. They're not going to know how to slot you in when you first arrive, because PharmD, BPS, etc doesn't exist here. But once you've got a job at step 9, for example, it'll be really hard to argue for a much higher step later on when you move to a different job. So let the mystique of your foreign qualifications work in your favor :)

Last edited:
They absolutely would consider you. You've got to shift out of the American mindset because kiwis don't even fully understand that pharmacists belong in hospital, though that expectation is changing. Remember that most kiwi pharmacists who apply for hospital jobs will have little experience working at a hospital.

As @sunnyandseventytwo mentioned, kiwi pharmacist school is a 4 year bachelor degree with a 1 year internship. It's just not comparable with the level of training you've received with a PharmD. They go to school with the expectation that they will be dispensing pills, administering vaccines and offering community advice, not attending to stroke patients in the resus bay. And the pay for starting pharmacists especially reflects this. Otago University doesn't even really have an established relationship with the hospital next door, as pharmacist rotations aren't as commonly done. So if you apply to a hospital pharmacy job, you will likely be considered. Obviously someone with years of hospital experience would be preferred, but those candidates are not flooding the HR department with CVs.

Jobs are posted on the NZ hospital pharmacist association page, and on kiwihealthjobs. The search function on that page is a bit quirky but basically you'll want to expand the search in this order (do not check any boxes until indicated): first expand "clinical" then expand "allied health" and then finally check the "pharmacist" box and click search. (Pharmacists are considered part of "allied health"). Jobs are mostly all union represented in a predetermined pay scale (steps 1 - 17), and where they slot you in to that scale will have a lingering effect on your career in New Zealand. They're not going to know how to slot you in when you first arrive, because PharmD, BPS, etc doesn't exist here. But once you've got a job at step 9, for example, it'll be really hard to argue for a much higher step later on when you move to a different job. So let the mystique of your foreign qualifications work in your favor :)
Wow that’s so nice of you to explain all this to me. I really appreciate it and it gives me an idea on where to start my search.
I hope you are enjoying your new life in NZ!

thanks for this info- what could someone like me - 19 years experience - 17 years in hospital, 16 with a combo of ED/ICU/IM - expect to make?
what about my wife (occupational therapy) is there a good site to find the union pay scale?

thanks for this info- what could someone like me - 19 years experience - 17 years in hospital, 16 with a combo of ED/ICU/IM - expect to make?
what about my wife (occupational therapy) is there a good site to find the union pay scale?

Look at page 20 of 135 for an example of a current union contract that covers several employers in New Zealand, but not all. I believe some employers still might not be covered by a union contract.

You would be an advanced practitioner so your pay range on this contract would be somewhere between steps 9 and 17.

You'd need to find a job commensurate with your experience. Don't apply for a "rotational pharmacist" job for example, as it will not be commensurate with the advanced practitioner pay scale. You're best off applying for specialist jobs or lead positions. It could be easier to command a higher pay step in less populated areas.

Also note that in order to advance a step, you have to go through a yearlong process of agreeing to goals with your manager and then meeting them. It's not an easy or fast process so it's vital you come in as high a step as you can negotiate. That's going to establish your "market rate" in New Zealand, because they're really not going to have any idea how to assess your US qualifications.