Any anesthesiologists who experienced general anesthesia themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpingforjoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any anesthesiologists who experienced general anesthesia themselves and was it what you expected? You can feel that general anesthesia still in your body even days after the surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I did. I can still feel it running in my veins...like molten lead...22 years after the T & A. No I am just bs'ing I don't remember jack..
Have you tried asking a postop patient?

I've had general anesthesia a number of times--minor cases fortunately--the first time as a kid with diethyl ether, which I still remember not fondly. Recent days, propofol. Seemed a breeze and I was clear-headed pretty quickly postop.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last procedure that I had done was back in med school (ACL reconstruction, GA + femoral SS with nerve stim). I sometimes tell patients my experience with the block, and my horrible PONV.

I remember falling asleep after they injected something (thiopental?) and waking up as I was being wheeled into the pacu. Anesthesiologist was surprised I woke up faster than she expected. No sore throat or nausea. I must have had a deep extubation. It was nice.

I had an ORIF for fractured radius & ulna. No recall between preop and being in my hospital room.

What I remember most was the absolutely freakishly horrendous succinycholine myalgias. Total body ache that was worse than the surgical site pain, lasted about 24 h. In large part because of that experience I try to limit my succ use to genuinely indicated RSIs where 1.2 mg/kg of roc would be problematic.

And Demerol made me yak.

But I felt otherwise fine the next day.

I've always been curious how I would be if I had anesthesia now that I am actually in the field.

My co-resident was telling me a story of how the mother of a young pt was an anesthesiology resident at a big university hospital nearby and actually asked to see her set up for the case beforehand. I would be annoyed if an anesthesiologist or a resident wanted to know what meds I have drawn up and checked my machine.

I had day surgery and the nurses made you pee once before they discharge you. I think I have 1.5 bags of lactate ringers in me already, but it still took a while of sitting on the bathroom to pee only a bit...that was weird. (but anyway, by midnight at home, I finally peed out copious amounts of liquid).

I think the anesthesia also made me light-footed for a couple of days. on occasion, i almost tripped over my own feet.

I've had a handful of surgeries in the past, but my last surgery was quite memorable. I was in college at the local community hospital, accompanied by my parents, to have my gallbladder out. The CRNA came in and gave me my "happy medicine" then turned to my parents and said "Quick, ask her about something she'd normally lie about!". My mom laughed, and my dad said "What's your boyfriend's name?". I had just started dating someone (sidenote: we just got married, yay!), but hadn't told my parents about him yet. I, of course, answered and said his name and immediately, despite my drugged state, was horrified. I was then wheeled down to the OR. Definitely my liveliest experience with anesthesia to date.

I think the anesthesia also made me light-footed for a couple of days. on occasion, i almost tripped over my own feet.

That was probably the pain medication you were taking. I doubt seriously that it was "the anesthesia" two days post-op. That or you're just a klutz in general. ;)

2 outpatient surgeries with an LMA. Woke up groggy but with it. I did ask for some fentanyl shortly after waking up and the next thing I know I'm waking up again and the PACU nurse (and good friend) said my heart rate dropped to 45 with 25 mcg and she would not be giving me any more fentanyl. Thought that was pretty funny. No sore throat.

Any anesthesiologists who experienced general anesthesia themselves and was it what you expected? You can feel that general anesthesia still in your body even days after the surgery.

I had GA with sciatic nerve block for an achilles tendon repair. I had PONV (relieved with phenergan) and urinary retention (requiring foley).

I got versed pre-op, all I remember is the pre-op holding area and waking up in the PACU unable to feel or move my right leg

Not an anesthesiologist, but felt like posting my contribution. Had several sets of tubes and always tolerated them well. Had T&A at age 5, don't remember much of it. Had general anesthesia for a procedure at age 9. When the anesthesiologist walked in the room to introduce himself, I looked him in the eye and said, "That gas smells horrible. This time, I would like you to give me medicine in my arm before I get any gas." He obliged. I woke up with some pretty terrible post-op nausea and promptly fell back asleep. The PACU nurse pretty much gave us the bum's rush out of there and I felt pretty terrible for all of the hour long ride home.

Had a short procedure in 2011 requiring general anesthesia. A little groggy, but I was just fine the next day wrt alertness.

Not enough pain relief a few hours later, but I don't fault the anesthesiologist for that. Much. Ibuprofen once I got home (after 2 hours on the road) helped.