Any Arab male pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had to drop a couple cents here about the lack of order/nizam in the middle east...

While a lot of it has to go, you gotta admit thats what makes it so fun to visit! I mean, if you can drive in cairo, you can drive anywhere, all the lebanese taxi drivers think they are in a formula 1 race, and I would settle my debts before I jumped in a car with any arab who is driving for the first time in the states. Crappy driving, its in our blood :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I've been hanging out with egyptians from the saeeed to much!

Eh--->What
El---->The
Arf--->Crap
Dah--->This

What is this crap? :)

chickenwaffles said:
Sorry, I've been hanging out with egyptians from the saeeed to much!

Eh--->What
El---->The
Arf--->Crap
Dah--->This

What is this crap? :)

:laugh:

Try this... Shoe hel Khara?

But seriously guys, what kind of example are we setting for others? People would kill to have the type of family support we have.

Members don't see this ad :)
You all have probably got this email before, but just in case!

_______
You Know you are arab if...

You say "bolice" and "bastor" for "police" and "pastor."
You inherited or will inherit land in your country.
You brag about your kids even if they are bad.
Your spouse is also your first cousin.
You're fat and blame it on the kids, or you're bald and blame it on thestress.
Your aunt asks you when she can dance at your wedding.
You smoke as if it were your last day on earth...and you only smoke Marlboro.
You think its cool to dance and smoke at the same time.
You wear more cologne than deodorant.
You fight over who pays the dinner bill.
You pronounce "comfortable" cun-fort-a-bull.
You say the letter "h" like "etch."
You put olive oil in and on everything and brag about how healthy it is.
You gossip about your own family...with members of your own family.
You have more then 4 kids.
You cook a meal that lasts 3 days.
You pity anyone who is not an Arab and think all other cultures are morally corrupt.
You have fruit trees in your backyard and when they are in season you live on them.
You don't use the word "tease" in English cause you feel weird.
Your father swears at you with words that effect himself (Ibnil Kalb).
You have 500,000,000 cousins.
Your relatives alone could populate a small city.
At weddings it takes the bride and groom 4 hoursto kiss all the guests.
You "get down" from the car instead of "getting out" of it.
You have a gold necklace of your name written in Arabic.
Your middle name is your father's first name.
If you are male, you're named after your grandfather or great-grandfather.
You play cards till the break of dawn.
You can't have a meal without bread.
You never run out of bizzer.
You get offended when Americans call Arabic bread "Pita bread"
If you are an Arab woman, you dye your hair an obviously fake shade of blonde that is nonexistent in nature and swear that it's natural.
You feel proud when someone famous or a celebrity has any Arabic blood in them.
You teach your American friends Arabic word (mostly bad ones) and get happy when they use them in normal conversations.
Your Mom has a creative nickname for you like "Natoosheh," or "Tuntooneh."
You have a difficult Arabic name so you come up with an Americanized version of it like "Sam" or "Mike."
You have someone tell you your fortune through your coffee cup.
You love Um Kalthoom and if you don't, your dad makes you listen to her and tries to translate the words into English so you can appreciate her as much as he does.
Three or more relatives live in your neighborhood.
If you're a single Arab guy, you tell women you're a "successful businessman" or that you "own a successful business back home" even if you're an unemployed goat herder.
You get really happy and call the whole family to the room when there is a special or documentary on Arabs or anything Arabic related on CNN or PBS.
You use church as a social ground to meet potential wives/husbands
You have a uni-brow...and if you don't, you pluck it.
You bump Arabic music at all times

chickenwaffles said:
I just had to drop a couple cents here about the lack of order/nizam in the middle east...

While a lot of it has to go, you gotta admit thats what makes it so fun to visit! I mean, if you can drive in cairo, you can drive anywhere, all the lebanese taxi drivers think they are in a formula 1 race, and I would settle my debts before I jumped in a car with any arab who is driving for the first time in the states. Crappy driving, its in our blood :)

I agree about the lack of organization, but it stems deeper than just driving. All of the governments over there need to be replaced. When your governments live for themselves and not for their people, they have to go.

A taxi driver killed my grandmother and hospitalized my mom, dad, and uncle when we were in Jordan. And, he ran off after :(

I was all for the war (don't flame me), but now the Iraqi people have gone from one evil to another. Imagine your "liberators" sexually degrading you and torturing you. I know how private/honorable/proud arabs are, and the sexual abuse is worse than any sort of physical harm... I am ashamed that my country, the US, has done this to them. I don't trust my president any more :(

You Know you are arab if...

You say "bolice" and "bastor" for "police" and "pastor." my mom and dad
You smoke as if it were your last day on earth...and you only smoke Marlboro. my dad used to
You fight over who pays the dinner bill. all the males in my family
You say the letter "h" like "etch." my dad
You have fruit trees in your backyard and when they are in season you live on them. totally every household in my family
Your father swears at you with words that effect himself (Ibnil Kalb).mom and dad... yin un ily jabateck :)
You have 500,000,000 cousins. we take up a whole neighborhood in Jordan
Your relatives alone could populate a small city. see above
At weddings it takes the bride and groom 4 hoursto kiss all the guests. we fast-forward the video, or watch it and point out who we know
You "get down" from the car instead of "getting out" of it. sad but true
Your middle name is your father's first name.true for mom, me, bro, and sis
You play cards till the break of dawn. nothign beats hend or basra
You can't have a meal without bread. we refuse to eat... it just doesn't taste the same
You never run out of bizzer.barrels upon barrels stored for personal use and eshas
You get offended when Americans call Arabic bread "Pita bread" totally, and the same when they pronounce beglawa baglaVa
You feel proud when someone famous or a celebrity has any Arabic blood in them. hehe, shakira, cher
You teach your American friends Arabic word (mostly bad ones) and get happy when they use them in normal conversations.my friends know warag oo kusa, khobiz, and tons of non-bad words
Your Mom has a creative nickname for you like "Natoosheh," or "Tuntooneh."I am called setoufti, or setoufeh
You have a difficult Arabic name so you come up with an Americanized version of it like "Sam" or "Mike." the arabic to english translations make NO sense :)
Three or more relatives live in your neighborhood. Used to for 10 years... now they moved away :(
You get really happy and call the whole family to the room when there is a special or documentary on Arabs or anything Arabic related on CNN or PBS. I voted for Diana Korzon 1 million times on World Idol!!
You use church as a social ground to meet potential wives/husbands will when I start looking :D
You have a uni-brow...and if you don't, you pluck it. I wish everyone would pluck it!
You bump Arabic music at all timesno doubt!

Personally, I didn't find the whole iraq torture thing surprising. Upsetting, yes. But hardly surprising, especially comming from a country that publicly distanced itself from the Geneva convention. Obviously a lack of compassion, but typical when you consider the number of innocent civilians that died during the combat phase (between 8-12 thousand), and how they pretty much ravaged the civilians in falluja (over 400 non-combatant civilians dead) in order to put down the uprising there.

Having said this (and as diffficult as it is for me to say, considering that I was, and still am 110% against the invation), Iraq is at least moving. Whether it is forwards or backwards, only time will tell, and I pray for the sake of Iraqis it improves (10 years of War with Iran, First US invasion, 12 years of crippiling sanctions, another invasion, they've been through enough...) But at least its not like the rest of the middle east, where governments are static...

Ahlan wa sahlan Chicken! Tasharafna!

I think politics is pathetic, especially Mid Eastern politics. I guess that's why I apprciate the culture a lot more. Those jokes were hilarious!

I don't know, but don't you guys think this thread should be moved to another section (lounge) cause now we've got nothing premed related.

ahlan ya shabab

Ana kaman min Souriyya. I was born in Damascus, bil assa'. Now i'm at MIT and i'll be going to Columbia MD/PhD next year.

And I'll be in Damascus this summer...if you guys are gonna meet up, count me in. Isme Raymond Raad (last name is thunder in arabic, pronounced ra'id). Wa ana kaman maseehee

rayraad said:
ahlan ya shabab

Ana kaman min Souriyya. I was born in Damascus, bil assa'. Now i'm at MIT and i'll be going to Columbia MD/PhD next year.

And I'll be in Damascus this summer...if you guys are gonna meet up, count me in. Isme Raymond Raad (last name is thunder in arabic, pronounced ra'id). Wa ana kaman maseehee

Cool! Welcome!! Ana ismi heaven bil arabi. Bes, ma bidi a goul isme ala hel thread, ok?

I agree that there are problems and the arabs are partly to blame, but so are other factors

There have been several attempts at revolution in the middle east. The Pan-arabists and baathists ousted and almost-ousted several arabic governments in the 1950s and 60s...there was also a democratic revolution in Iran (the US screwed that one up), and in the 1950s Syria and Egypt tried to become one nation under Gamal 'Abd-al-nasser.

Conditions in Iraq were also improving fairly quickly until the iran-iraq war and the persian gulf war. In the Iran Iraq war, the US sold arms to Iran and gave intelligence to Iraq (or the other way around)...at least partly to prevent both countries from gaining any power.

Revolutions don't come around very often...and it sucks because things get screwed up every time something goes well. We can't blame arabs for not resisting every year. There are more revolutions in that part of the world than most others.

i'm as bitter at the west as i am at the arabs

Spitting Camel said:
Cool! Welcome!! Ana ismi heaven bil arabi. Bes, ma bidi a goul isme ala hel thread, ok?

tsharafna -- anta wen saken wa wen batidros?

Members don't see this ad :)
the iraqi abuse stuff goes on in every war, we just got caught. Woman are raped all the time during war. Its only suppose to come out till after the war is over, than we start talking about the atrocities committed and what a bad thing we did.

True that abe...

damn...there are a lot of syrians here...you guys should rename this thread
"Any Syrian Pre-meds"....crazy shamis :)

anyways...So I'm startin med school in the fall...and I'm really pumped about doing a rotation or spending a summer in the middle east...maybe saudi or lebanon. Have you all heard of any possibilites there?

if that wasn't a cheap way to move this train from politics to medicine, i don't know what is...

Spitting Camel said:
Ana saken fee Orange county oo budros fee UCI. Wa inta?

ahlee fee Brooklyn, New York. budros fee cambridge, MA, bas raje3 3ala new york al-sina al-jaye. Anyone else here from New York?

Hey Chicken, where are you going to med school?

Shamis rule all that is medical, seriously!

Anyway, was I the only one who thought the verbal on the MCAT was icredibly too long? I didn't have time to finish 14 questions on verbal, but I think I understood all the other stuff.

chickenwaffles said:
anyways...So I'm startin med school in the fall...and I'm really pumped about doing a rotation or spending a summer in the middle east...maybe saudi or lebanon. Have you all heard of any possibilites there?

For lebanon, u should try contacting AUB (American University of Beirut)...they have a medical school and some exchange programs with american medical schools. Maybe they have a summer thing too. Lemme know if u find anything.

Don't forget the Cornell school in Qatar or Oman (one of those).

yeah...it seems like you guys from the levant have this whole medical thing on lockdown...being from the "maghreb al-arabi", I'm feeling a little left out...

I actually visited AUB on a recent trip over there...don't think I would get much studying done there :)

chickenwaffles said:
yeah...it seems like you guys from the levant have this whole medical thing on lockdown...being from the "maghreb al-arabi", I'm feeling a little left out...

I actually visited AUB on a recent trip over there...don't think I would get much studying done there :)

Chicken... where are you from?

hey guys,

while we are on the topic of Arab reforms have any of you guys seen the film "Gaza Strip", if you have not i highly recommend it.

~ICE

You say "bolice" and "bastor" for "police" and "pastor."
You inherited or will inherit land in your country.
You brag about your kids even if they are bad.
Your spouse is also your first cousin.
You're fat and blame it on the kids, or you're bald and blame it on thestress.
Your aunt asks you when she can dance at your wedding.
You smoke as if it were your last day on earth...and you only smoke Marlboro.
You think its cool to dance and smoke at the same time.
You wear more cologne than deodorant.
You fight over who pays the dinner bill.
You pronounce "comfortable" cun-fort-a-bull.
You say the letter "h" like "etch."

You put olive oil in and on everything and brag about how healthy it is.
You gossip about your own family...with members of your own family.
You have more then 4 kids.
You cook a meal that lasts 3 days.
You pity anyone who is not an Arab and think all other cultures are morally corrupt.
You have fruit trees in your backyard and when they are in season you live on them.
You don't use the word "tease" in English cause you feel weird. (this is SO true!)
Your father swears at you with words that effect himself (Ibnil Kalb).
You have 500,000,000 cousins.
Your relatives alone could populate a small city. (most are back in Egypt, a few are in the NY/NJ area away from us in FL!)
At weddings it takes the bride and groom 4 hoursto kiss all the guests.
You "get down" from the car instead of "getting out" of it. (how about something like "close the A/C" instead of "turn off the A/C")
You have a gold necklace of your name written in Arabic.
Your middle name is your father's first name.
If you are male, you're named after your grandfather or great-grandfather.
You play cards till the break of dawn.
You can't have a meal without bread.
You never run out of bizzer. (what is this? bizzer = seeds?)
You get offended when Americans call Arabic bread "Pita bread" (same thing with backlava, like SpittinCamel mentioned)
If you are an Arab woman, you dye your hair an obviously fake shade of blonde that is nonexistent in nature and swear that it's natural.
You feel proud when someone famous or a celebrity has any Arabic blood in them. (Shakira!)
You teach your American friends Arabic word (mostly bad ones) and get happy when they use them in normal conversations. (too many times to name)
Your Mom has a creative nickname for you like "Natoosheh," or "Tuntooneh." (my mom nicknamed me "Toosan"....no idea how...it's something my dad uses more though)
You have a difficult Arabic name so you come up with an Americanized version of it like "Sam" or "Mike." (I make SURE they say it right, or I just refer to my last name)
You have someone tell you your fortune through your coffee cup.
You love Um Kalthoom and if you don't, your dad makes you listen to her and tries to translate the words into English so you can appreciate her as much as he does. (haha...my dad loves her, the rest of us think it's "nakkad" when she sings, lol.....I can understand her icon-status though)
Three or more relatives live in your neighborhood.
If you're a single Arab guy, you tell women you're a "successful businessman" or that you "own a successful business back home" even if you're an unemployed goat herder.
You get really happy and call the whole family to the room when there is a special or documentary on Arabs or anything Arabic related on CNN or PBS.
You use church as a social ground to meet potential wives/husbands - my parents do that (for me) to an extent, lol
You have a uni-brow...and if you don't, you pluck it.
You bump Arabic music at all times - YES!!

DrPharoah, that's just wrong! I think it's sad that most second generation arab americans make fun of their parents accents because english is not their first langauge. I mean so what if they can't pronounce a couple of words correctly, that doesn't give you or other arabs the right to degrade them.
I don't know, I guess I'm just frustrated that so many ungrateful kids around me make fun of their parents accent. Our parents are suffering enough listening to these constant racist comments on a daily basis, shouldn't that be enough abuse for them, do we really need to make them feel worse.

I don't think I've ever made fun of my parents' accents. My uncle (who's been here for a LONG time as a doc) makes fun of himself, in fact, because he could never get "Kitchen" and "Chicken" straightened out.

Aight, any of US who thought the verbal was aweful on the MCAT?

it was my worse section, I guess its because I don't read that many books. thank god I don't ever have to take that test again, it was the worse day of my life

I've had a lot worse days in my life, but heck, for some odd reason I was really excited that day. From the morning, to the breaks, to the dinner and hanging out afterwards, I had so much energy! I felt really happy after the exam, but the verbal was my low point... I left 14 blank!

Shangal, how'd you do on the verbal?/how did you prepare to do well enough to get into school?

I just read alot. I scored decently but it wasn't even close to my science scores. But I did not miss any questions, what were you thinking leaving 14 questions blank, you could've just filled those blanks with a bunch of C's.
I hate to be the guy telling you this, but is looks like your going to have to re-take this thing. Which isn't a bad thing you being a sophmore

I filled in "B" for 14, but I think I answered everything else accurately, putting me at the 75% range.

Shangal, shoo shai'ifnee? Shai'ifnee ajdab? :;): Btw, I'm a junior, though I am 50% sure I'll retake this beast in August. But I'm not looking forward to preparing for Verbal... I hated literature since I was a kid and I'm not likely to turn around and love it now (though grammar's my best subject).

Shangal said:
I scored decently but it wasn't even close to my science scores.

Did the interviewers take into consideration whether it was because of the other mother tongue language?

i rocked the verbal on my diagnosis from kaplan, but nothing else :D, i read alot so maybe thats why, newspapers magazines, a few books here and there.

Not really, I didn't do that bad on the verbal though, it just wasn't on par with my science ones. But we did talk about syria in most of them.

Most of my interviewers were more concerened about my lack of exposure to the medical field and my science GPA. I didn't have a LOR from a physician and didn't volunteer in the ER and I did kind of bad in a couple of science classes so that hurt me a little.

Abe, mabrook!

Shangal, how bad is "Bad" enough to hurt you? Are B's bad?

w00t, page 8!

less then 3.5 is bad. So I had a couple of C's and that hurt me. Keep in mind that we are considered white males, so we are discriminated against when applying. We need a higher then 3.5 cGPA and a higher then 30-31 MCAT.

Or in my case a higher MCAT average and lower GPA average. I think they have formulas or something to sort out who gets the interviews and who doesn't. A combination of good GPA and MCAT also helps.

Shangal said:
I say syrians are the smartest arabs wherever they live and not just in the middle east. Our genes are just superior!
And Friday, yeah I agree, arabs come in all colors

Falistini here, Im representin al-bireh and ramallah.. I'm a pre-med studying in Ga.

history _ice said:
Salaam Everyone,

If there any freshmens or sophomores you can apply to a program in Mt. Sinai school of medicine and get accepted without taking your MCATS, The Program is called Humanities in Medicine.

Check it out and Good luck.

~ICe
Sounds like a cool program too bad i took organic chemistry as a freshmen... do arabs get AA?

at that one jewish school?

how many palestinian arabs are at any of these jewish school eistein ect. Im just wondering if arabs even bother applying their =o. I dont care if people say they dont discriminate, I think it happens, and nobody can really prove it.

I got accepted to einstein and I am muslim. Med schools like diversity and being a muslim didn't hurt me one bit in this process. Maybe being a white male did but not being a muslim.
And I don't feel comfortable telling you what school I am going to next year, let's just say that I am most likely going to a non top 50 school.

Shangal said:
DrPharoah, that's just wrong! I think it's sad that most second generation arab americans make fun of their parents accents because english is not their first langauge. I mean so what if they can't pronounce a couple of words correctly, that doesn't give you or other arabs the right to degrade them.
I don't know, I guess I'm just frustrated that so many ungrateful kids around me make fun of their parents accent. Our parents are suffering enough listening to these constant racist comments on a daily basis, shouldn't that be enough abuse for them, do we really need to make them feel worse.

Trust me, I'm FAR from being an "ungrateful kid" and I won't justify how because I know myself. However, did you see the post before mine? I was just commenting on what stuff applied to me/my family and because I thought the joke was funny ("You know you're an Arab when..."). Have you ever laughed at some of your own idiosyncrasies?

Anyway, I know you had good intentions with your post but perhaps you misunderstood my intentions.

My bad then! I just hate it when people from my own background are arab bashers, I mean that doesn't make them less racist. But I guess you didn't have bad intentions.

Shangal,

did you tell the school (Einstien) that you are Muslim? If so, how did you tell them? (personal statement?)

of the arab bashers, i especially hate the ones who aren't proactive... the ones who complain complain and complain.

No I didn't, but I do have a muslim name so it is pretty obvious

Oh, well congrats! It's sad sometimes when a lot of arabs assume all jews are evil, when a lot of them here in the U.S. are really innocent.

Anyway, I have two friends named Osama (not the real one :p ). One of them changed it to Dilland and the other kept it... but we know it has hurt him in applying for internships. I'm the type that would first blame credentials, but in his case... it was really his name. So alf mabrook, Shangal!