Any Asian-Chinese premeds out there? II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo! Finally graduated today! I love asian parents at graduations. As we were walking into the auditorium in a single file line I hear my mother scream out my Chinese name so I could turn around for a picture. Something like a thousand other people who didn't speak Chinese just thought she was crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

Pkboi24 said:
Last night I was at HEB (A major grocery chain in Texas), and this Hispanic guy looks at me and goes "Do you know kung-fu?" I couldn't believe what I heard, so I said "What?" and he says again "Do you know kung-fu?" WOW. At this day and age, you ignorant son of a bitch. "No, can you make Tortillas?". I got honked at by a black guy in the parking lot for walking too slow. I cussed him out and gave him the finger. My friend told me "Dude, are you crazy? They don't have anything to lose. They'll f*cking kill you." Sometimes I think white people are less racist than most minorities are.

I got a crawzy story. Me and my friends were walking to this restaurant when a black man and his girlfriend asked, "Let me guess, you are Korean?" Though I was not Korean, I replied, "Yeah, Ana Hace Yo (Hi in Korean)" and extended a brotherly handshake. Then, he mumbled something I couldn't quite catch. I kept saying, "What???" My friends then kept trying to push me away. I later found out, he was saying, "You wanna see my 9 mm?" I ain't got nothing against black people, but man, its a good thing I didn't cuss out this guy or ask him once too many times.

Mixtli said:
I got a crawzy story. Me and my friends were walking to this restaurant when a black man and his girlfriend asked, "Let me guess, you are Korean?" Though I was not Korean, I replied, "Yeah, Ana Hace Yo (Hi in Korean)" and extended a brotherly handshake. Then, he mumbled something I couldn't quite catch. I kept saying, "What???" My friends then kept trying to push me away. I later found out, he was saying, "You wanna see my 9 mm?" I ain't got nothing against black people, but man, its a good thing I didn't cuss out this guy or ask him once too many times.

lawl black people are cwazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrHuang said:
lawl black people are cwazy!

Okay guys, let's not get carried away, otherwise I might have to make a "Any Asian-Chinese pre-meds out there? III"

Mixtli said:

huh, what a jerk/pervert. My friend is korean, lives in nyc, and she's been asked by random men on the street--janitors, garbage men, etc.--for blow jobs. she just very quietly says f**** you and leaves.

my situations are somewhat different. I live in a place populated by mostly white trash. let me explain: in high school, my asian friends and I couldn't get through a single day without hearing obscenities, racial slurs, "kong ching kung fu!!!", obnoxious sounding "konichiwas", even stuff thrown at us...you get the point. It's funny because it wasn't the jock/cheerleader crowd that kept harassing us...it was the kids who ditched school and hung out in the parking lot, smoking. They came from trailer parks, probably had horrible family lives, and took it out on everyone, not just asians. it just happened that when it was us, they'd turn it into something racial. Everyone told me to just ignore it, but I'd get soooo upset sometimes, because I think far too many asians just quietly endure all the racial taunting that goes on and so the bullies who do it think it's OK and acceptable to do it. Most of these people would NEVER harass a black person. They'd be too scared to, plus it's been drilled into them from an early age that it's just WRONG. Why is it OK to call asians racial slurs but not blacks? Anyway, my friends and I did take action--far too infrequently--but when I think about how many asian kids I know who got beat up in high school and never got their proper revenge, it just makes me really sad. What happens to you in high school has a very damaging, sometimes permanent effect, and all these high school incidents have made me paranoid about getting made fun of. You know, I used to plan my routes to all my classes, bypassing hallways to avoid certain crowds, making sure I always had a white friend to walk with....the more asians I was with, the more likely I was going to get made fun of. I can't believe I made it all the way through college without hearing a racial slur directed at me or another asian, even once. It's a totally novel concept to me. Even now, when I come back to my hometown, I get nervous whenever I see groups of white high school kids hanging out together. And sadly enough, the racial slurs/taunting still occur frequently here. Sorry this turned out to be so long and probably unreadable, but another incident just occurred today that reminded me that I hate my hometown and can't wait for med school to begin so I can move out again!

oompa loompa said:
huh, what a jerk/pervert. My friend is korean, lives in nyc, and she's been asked by random men on the street--janitors, garbage men, etc.--for blow jobs. she just very quietly says f**** you and leaves.

my situations are somewhat different. I live in a place populated by mostly white trash. let me explain: in high school, my asian friends and I couldn't get through a single day without hearing obscenities, racial slurs, "kong ching kung fu!!!", obnoxious sounding "konichiwas", even stuff thrown at us...you get the point. It's funny because it wasn't the jock/cheerleader crowd that kept harassing us...it was the kids who ditched school and hung out in the parking lot, smoking. They came from trailer parks, probably had horrible family lives, and took it out on everyone, not just asians. it just happened that when it was us, they'd turn it into something racial. Everyone told me to just ignore it, but I'd get soooo upset sometimes, because I think far too many asians just quietly endure all the racial taunting that goes on and so the bullies who do it think it's OK and acceptable to do it. Most of these people would NEVER harass a black person. They'd be too scared to, plus it's been drilled into them from an early age that it's just WRONG. Why is it OK to call asians racial slurs but not blacks? Anyway, my friends and I did take action--far too infrequently--but when I think about how many asian kids I know who got beat up in high school and never got their proper revenge, it just makes me really sad. What happens to you in high school has a very damaging, sometimes permanent effect, and all these high school incidents have made me paranoid about getting made fun of. You know, I used to plan my routes to all my classes, bypassing hallways to avoid certain crowds, making sure I always had a white friend to walk with....the more asians I was with, the more likely I was going to get made fun of. I can't believe I made it all the way through college without hearing a racial slur directed at me or another asian, even once. It's a totally novel concept to me. Even now, when I come back to my hometown, I get nervous whenever I see groups of white high school kids hanging out together. And sadly enough, the racial slurs/taunting still occur frequently here. Sorry this turned out to be so long and probably unreadable, but another incident just occurred today that reminded me that I hate my hometown and can't wait for med school to begin so I can move out again!

i dont know where you got the part where she was sexually harassed...BUT WELCOME TO REST OF AMERICA THATS NOT CALI OR NY! The way I view it, we're just permanent house guests in the US, regardless of the fact that we may have been born here and lived in the states our whole lives - it goes back to my opinion that no matter how hard non-caucasians try to integrate, we'll always been viewed as foreigners. the melting pot is a nice idea but i think its just a propaganda tool. but hey, no country is perfect!

DrHuang said:
i dont know where you got the part where she was sexually harassed.
huh? I don't get what you're trying to say here...

DrHuang said:
...BUT WELCOME TO REST OF AMERICA THATS NOT CALI OR NY! The way I view it, we're just permanent house guests in the US, regardless of the fact that we may have been born here and lived in the states our whole lives - it goes back to my opinion that no matter how hard non-caucasians try to integrate, we'll always been viewed as foreigners. the melting pot is a nice idea but i think its just a propaganda tool. but hey, no country is perfect

When I'm feeling cynical and anti-american, I sort of agree...that was back in high school though. Honestly, part of me just wants to surround myself with tolerant, well-educated, diversity-loving liberals and hope I never have to hear the kung fu/chink stuff ever again...another part of me wants to go into public education so I can knock some cultural sensitivity and just common decency into these kids...honestly, it's not their fault they come from such crappy family backgrounds (granted you get the priviledged white racist jerks as well sometimes) but I still think a good education is the key...I mean, my dad is totally racist and when I watched tv with him, he always had a million bad things to say about blacks, hispanics, jews, even women..(and I'm a girl). But you know, I don't agree with any of his views because I've had a totally different educational upbringing from him.

Pkboi24 said:
Woohoo! Finally graduated today! I love asian parents at graduations. As we were walking into the auditorium in a single file line I hear my mother scream out my Chinese name so I could turn around for a picture. Something like a thousand other people who didn't speak Chinese just thought she was crazy.

haha, I love the persistence of asian parents when they really want something done. At my graduation last year, my dad managed to navigate/squirm/beseech/wheedle his way through the heavily packed lawns so he could take live-action shots of me walking in the procession, going through the gates, sitting down, getting up to sing, sitting down again, etc. He had every single movement documented in a photo. :) Like, what other kid could claim the same about their parent?

Graduation is different. It's a rite of passage like a bar mitzeh or wedding. I can see why. If I were a parent, I would do the same. Speaking of persistence, my dad insisted on for hours on my buying a dell laptop even though I wanted a compaq one, and I was the one forking the $$ too. If it were his money, there could be no way in hell in convincing him.

Not chinese here, but got lots of chinese pride!!

oompa loompa said:
huh? I don't get what you're trying to say here...

When I'm feeling cynical and anti-american, I sort of agree...that was back in high school though. Honestly, part of me just wants to surround myself with tolerant, well-educated, diversity-loving liberals and hope I never have to hear the kung fu/chink stuff ever again...another part of me wants to go into public education so I can knock some cultural sensitivity and just common decency into these kids...honestly, it's not their fault they come from such crappy family backgrounds (granted you get the priviledged white racist jerks as well sometimes) but I still think a good education is the key...I mean, my dad is totally racist and when I watched tv with him, he always had a million bad things to say about blacks, hispanics, jews, even women..(and I'm a girl). But you know, I don't agree with any of his views because I've had a totally different educational upbringing from him.

I know what you mean. Just keep your head up. Asian people only make up 3.9% of the entire US population. Blacks make up close to a quarter. With numbers like that and the a well-known history of oppression, no one's going to mess with black people.

It's funny that some people think black people are the only race in the world ever to be enslaved. I get it, your ancestors had it bad. Who do you think built the railroads?

Unless Asian people reproduce in greater numbers and take over central and southern US en masse, things will never change here.

I'm just glad that we make up about a quarter of the medical schools. Phew...

aren't CHINA and INDIA asian coutries? Both of whom encompassing a BILLION people.

monami said:
aren't CHINA and INDIA asian coutries? Both of whom encompassing a BILLION people.

Yes, they are. Most of them however, are still there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mixtli said:
Graduation is different. It's a rite of passage like a bar mitzeh or wedding. I can see why. If I were a parent, I would do the same. Speaking of persistence, my dad insisted on for hours on my buying a dell laptop even though I wanted a compaq one, and I was the one forking the $$ too. If it were his money, there could be no way in hell in convincing him.

PLEASE, DON'T EVEN MENTION THE WORD "DELL". oh my goodness, i had so many bad experiences w/ dell computers/laptops. i HATE dell w/ all my heart. dell is my worse enemy!!!!!!!!
same here, my parents are forcing me to buy a dell laptop. they seem to think that they are paying for me. HELLO!! i am the one who is buying one w/ my own $$$$. :mad:
yeah go for a compaq one, it is fabulous, according to ppl i know.

e_phn said:
PLEASE, DON'T EVEN MENTION THE WORD "DELL". oh my goodness, i had so many bad experiences w/ dell computers/laptops. i HATE dell w/ all my heart. dell is my worse enemy!!!!!!!!
same here, my parents are forcing me to buy a dell laptop. they seem to think that they are paying for me. HELLO!! i am the one who is buying one w/ my own freaking $$$$. :mad:
yeah go for a compaq one, it is fabulous, according to ppl i know.

lol, i'll take your advice!

I had a compaq laptop before. It gave me no headaches. Hopefully, my new one will last 5 years or more.

I have a dell 700m. It's not bad. It's not a GREAT laptop, but for the price it's a pretty good deal. I'd suggest IBM Thinkpads but I understand we're not all up to our chinky eyes in money. I hear fujitsu is good.

Daily rant about relatives - Don't you hate those family gatherings when so and so aunt with an overacheiving med school son talks down to you? They tell you how hard it is to get into med school and how it's not for everyone. (Insinuating that you don't have what it takes) "So don't be afraid if you don't get in the first time, most people don't." Son of a bitch...it's not even her son, it's her freaking son-in-law. Her daughter couldn't even get into med school so she went to marry a doctor. Okay, that was pointless. I was just ranting. Competitive Chinese parents are so freaking annoying, using their children as trophies to glorify their own life that is so often laden with regrets. GARR....

Pkboi24 said:
Daily rant about relatives - Don't you hate those family gatherings when so and so aunt with an overacheiving med school son talks down to you? They tell you how hard it is to get into med school and how it's not for everyone. (Insinuating that you don't have what it takes) "So don't be afraid if you don't get in the first time, most people don't." Son of a bitch...it's not even her son, it's her freaking son-in-law. Her daughter couldn't even get into med school so she went to marry a doctor. Okay, that was pointless. I was just ranting. Competitive Chinese parents are so freaking annoying, using their children as trophies to glorify their own life that is so often laden with regrets. GARR....

My parents doing that to me WAS part of my driving force to succeed when I was younger. I have since stopped thinking in that way but who knows where I'd be now with out that anger to motivate me when I was younger :confused:

Pkboi24 said:
ughh tell me about it. i still get into dark moods when i think about how, a few years ago, my estranged uncle whom i'd never met, wanted to come meet me under the guise of reuniting with his niece and maybe give some advice to help her out a bit.
what then began was a summer and a semester of email harassments entitled with such delightful phrases as "my advice to you." phone harassments that go as "i'm the one with the ph.d. so you should listen to me" and so forth. what the entire shananigan was really about, i finally discovered over the course of the year, was because he took it upon himself to shove it in my face that his thirty year old son went to harvard and is a doctor. what he didn't tell me, is that my cousin whom i had never met, went there for residency (yeah impressive but still this detail matters). and he's effin thirty! meaning he's a lot older than me and went through the whole process over a decade ago! how the HELL do you go about comparing your son whom you claim to have gotten into med school, to an already insecure premed still figuring her way around college? w.t.f.
worse, the mofo drags my mother, with premed/med issues unbeknownst to her, into this whole family mess.
oh, but i'm persistent because i'm a good little girl, so i decide to give my uncle a call on christmas eve 2004 and the call went something like this...

me: hello! merry christmas!
uncle: what's your gpa?
me: huh? uh... i haven't gotten it yet. it usually comes after christmas
uncle: you're never going to medical school you know
me: ?
uncle: you should become a dentist. it's easier. and you're never going to break 30 on the mcat and with your scores even if you did make a 30 on the mcat you won't get in. but you're not going to make a 30. my son your cousin got a 40 you know and he just graduated from harvard. (more of the same **** he'd been giving me for 9 months)
me: but... i didn't even take the mcat yet
uncle: your friends are losers! that's your problem
me: what?
uncle: your friends are losers! this is why your grades are bad!
and then from here on it started to get really nasty and eventually i ended giving him a lot of lip, hopefully a mild heart attack, and then i hung up on him while he was in the middle of some indignant and flabbergasted retort. sometimes i wonder how i managed to verbally maul a male elder in the family, but i draw the line somewhere... :D

you guys have some weird relatives

red dot said:
ughh tell me about it. i still get into dark moods when i think about how, a few years ago, my estranged uncle whom i'd never met, wanted to come meet me under the guise of reuniting with his niece and maybe give some advice to help her out a bit.
what then began was a summer and a semester of email harassments entitled with such delightful phrases as "my advice to you." phone harassments that go as "i'm the one with the ph.d. so you should listen to me" and so forth. what the entire shananigan was really about, i finally discovered over the course of the year, was because he took it upon himself to shove it in my face that his thirty year old son went to harvard and is a doctor. what he didn't tell me, is that my cousin whom i had never met, went there for residency (yeah impressive but still this detail matters). and he's effin thirty! meaning he's a lot older than me and went through the whole process over a decade ago! how the HELL do you go about comparing your son whom you claim to have gotten into med school, to an already insecure premed still figuring her way around college? w.t.f.
worse, the mofo drags my mother, with premed/med issues unbeknownst to her, into this whole family mess.
oh, but i'm persistent because i'm a good little girl, so i decide to give my uncle a call on christmas eve 2004 and the call went something like this...

uncle: you should become a dentist. it's easier. and you're never going to break 30 on the mcat and with your scores even if you did make a 30 on the mcat you won't get in. but you're not going to make a 30. my son your cousin got a 40 you know and he just graduated from harvard. (more of the same **** he'd been giving me for 9 months)
and then from here on it started to get really nasty and eventually i ended giving him a lot of lip, hopefully a mild heart attack, and then i hung up on him while he was in the middle of some indignant and flabbergasted retort. sometimes i wonder how i managed to verbally maul a male elder in the family, but i draw the line somewhere... :D

hahaha... the funny thing is, those relatives can't comprehend being given lip, so it funny to see their stunned reactions, when they realize, this is america and their children can be defiant and actually have ground to stand on.

i'm glad that my parents don't use me as a tool for their ego. well, i lied, they're proud of me and do like the attention when i succeed in things, but they don't go around actively making others feel bad. in fact, i think that they do the opposite. if i can get into med school, then my relatives and their friends' kids can be successful too.... huh... wait a minute.. :(

DrHuang said:
you guys have some weird relatives

i know we do. that's why i hate them. :smuggrin: j/k.

edit: not all my chinese relatives are like this, but some are which annoy me to death... some are pretty humble actully. :)

red dot said:

Oh man, that is some seriously F*cked up ****. I personally would have told his ass off a long time ago. No one needs that grief. I could take it from my immediate family, but not an uncle. That's total BS. You can't talk to people that way. Older people always think they know more, but it's just because they're stubborn and can't accept new things. Your uncle deserved what he got. Good job. You did Asian-Americans everywhere a favor.

Let's not hijack the Korean thread. Our place is here.

Pkboi24 said:
Let's not hijack the Korean thread. Our place is here.

i agree.

red dot said:
D

Seems like your relatives have high expectations of you, but when I tell my parents or relatives how many people apply to one school, they come back down to earth, and they really understand how hard it is to get in period.

Mixtli said:
Seems like your relatives have high expectations of you, but when I tell my parents or relatives how many people apply to one school, they come back down to earth, and they really understand how hard it is to get in period.
actually that's not the case at all. this particular set of relatives decided to contact me for the first time ever, just so they had an excuse to tell me my cousin is successful. i never grew up to be competitive and my mom could care less what i do with my life as long as i don't end up living in a shoebox. so i was really shocked and insulted when the whole thing unfolded.

Mixtli said:

I think high expectations is okay, but my dad is the most neurotic person in the world. He got so freaking worried when my MCAT score was a 33P, ONE letter grade below the national average for the WRITING section. He was literally pacing around the room going "Aiya...now what are we going to do? Now what are we going to do?"

It would have been quite funny to watch had it not been my own father.

red dot said:
actually that's not the case at all. this particular set of relatives decided to contact me for the first time ever, just so they had an excuse to tell me my cousin is successful. i never grew up to be competitive and my mom could care less what i do with my life as long as i don't end up living in a shoebox. so i was really shocked and insulted when the whole thing unfolded.

I wish I had your mom. Is your dad the same way?

Pkboi24 said:
I think high expectations is okay, but my dad is the most neurotic person in the world. He got so freaking worried when my MCAT score was a 33P, ONE letter grade below the national average for the WRITING section. He was literally pacing around the room going "Aiya...now what are we going to do? Now what are we going to do?"

rofl...i always thought the asian parent thing was just a stereotype - guess i was wrong!

Pkboi24 said:
I wish I had your mom. Is your dad the same way?
my dad... in short, he's a REALLY (can i make that font bigger?) traditional guy. meaning, "you're a girl hence 1) you probably don't have it in you to get into a university/college 2) i'd be happier if you went to junior college. and found a nice chinese boy to marry and 3) act more feminine you're scaring all the nice ones away. and don't forget they have to be chinese. i don't like japanese."
but i haven't lived with him since i was a child. so it's all kosher ;)

Pkboi24 said:

oh my god, he said "we?" :eek:

red dot said:
oh my god, he said "we?" :eek:

Indeed, he did. If that's not a sign that you're trying to live vicarously through your offspring, I don't know what is.

surebreC said:
I'm not Chinese but I live in Taiwan.

Nimen hua shuo Zhongwen ma?

Yes, but we prefer English here.

surebreC said:
I'm not Chinese but I live in Taiwan.

Nimen hua shuo Zhongwen ma?

translation would be nice? :)
i speak mandarin a little bit, and i still struggle w/ writing pinyin(i'm learning it slowly). :oops:
my mother and aunts are helping me though.

and mixtli, i love your avatar; the toddler is ADORABLE. :)

It says, you guys speak chinese?

Reminds me of that shirt that says white guy can't read this.

Jedix123 said:
It says, you guys speak chinese?

Reminds me of that shirt that says white guy can't read this.

sorry, i speak a little chinese. as in very little.

e_phn said:
translation would be nice? :)
i speak mandarin a little bit, and i still struggle w/ writing pinquin(i'm learning it slowly). :oops:
my mother and aunts are helping me though.

and mixtli, i love your avatar; the toddler is ADORABLE. :)

On SDN, my baby sister's picture keeps me happy when I am not in the best of moods and keeps my pre-allo anxiety to a manageable level. Also, chicks dig cute (hen ke ai) babies!

Mixtli said:
On SDN, my baby sister's picture keeps me happy when I am not in the best of moods and keeps my pre-allo anxiety to a manageable level. Also, chicks dig cute (hen ke ai) babies!

awww..each time i look at your avatar; i always smile. :)

any chinese chef?

i'm trying to learn how to cook wonton noodle, but i don't have the recipe. :oops: anyone knows how?

thanks. :)

let's talk about food. what's your favorite chinese food?

CptCrunch said:
I normally just go to Chinatown, it's only $2.75 at most places.

really? wow, i didn't know that..the cheapest bowl that i ever ate was $6. hmmm...maybe i should stop going to expensive restaurants in chinatown.

e_phn said:
really? wow, i didn't know that..the cheapest bowl that i ever ate was $6. hmmm...maybe i should stop going to expensive restaurants in chinatown.

Or maybe I should stop going to the cheapest restaurants :smuggrin: .

I've made wontons before, but I forget the recipe. You can buy the wonton skins, then use a stuffing of pork, scallions, and some other stuff (don't remember). You can close it using a touch of egg white to make it stick. You can buy the noodles pre-made, then I guess stick everything into some broth. Yeah, don't follow my recipe because I don't know what I'm talking about.

silkworm said:
Ever taken this test ? It test your ability to distinguish between Chinese, Japanese, Korean faces. I had 11/18.

I tend to think "Han" more as a cultural group rather than a ethnic group.

wow, I got a 6. I suck. hahaha.