Any Asian-Chinese premeds out there? II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CptCrunch said:
Or maybe I should stop going to the cheapest restaurants :smuggrin: .

I've made wontons before, but I forget the recipe. You can buy the wonton skins, then use a stuffing of pork, scallions, and some other stuff (don't remember). You can close it using a touch of egg white to make it stick. You can buy the noodles pre-made, then I guess stick everything into some broth. Yeah, don't follow my recipe because I don't know what I'm talking about.

:laugh: thanks. i didn't really expect anyone to answer my question, but i'll check w/ my uncle on this. :laugh:

just curious, cptcrunch, are you a female or a male?
if you're a male, my parents will LOVE you! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

you should add a bit of bamboo shoot to that... gives it a bit of crunch and zing :)

e_phn said:
any chinese chef?

i'm trying to learn how to cook wonton noodle, but i don't have the recipe. :oops: anyone knows how?

thanks. :)

let's talk about food. what's your favorite chinese food?

I've never actually seen Wanton in China. Is it Cantonese?

Members don't see this ad :)
surebreC said:
I've never actually seen Wanton in China. Is it Cantonese?

i'm not sure about this, but i think it is cantonese.

CptCrunch said:
I am indeed male. And no parent can resist the sugary goodness of Crunchberries cereal.

cap'n crunch scratches the roof of your mouth! i get all confused when i eat it because it tastes good and hurts at the same time... :laugh:

I feel like starting a "Any caucasian pre-meds out there?" thread... :p

CptCrunch said:
I am indeed male. And no parent can resist the sugary goodness of Crunchberries cereal.

:laugh: but my parents don't eat a lot of cereal. :laugh:

Wonton is popular around Shanghai vs dumplings in the north like Beijing.

I am currently in China, just got here yesturday. I had a meal yesturday that would feed 5 people for $8 US dollars. The people here seriously work for diddly squat. I feel so bad for them. Also, people here do not return smiles or greetings, they tend to just stare at you until you burst into flames.

And now, I shall go and make a "Any Caucasian pre-meds out there?" Thread. Please contribute.

Pkboi24 said:
I am currently in China, just got here yesturday. I had a meal yesturday that would feed 5 people for $8 US dollars. The people here seriously work for diddly squat. I feel so bad for them. Also, people here do not return smiles or greetings, they tend to just stare at you until you burst into flames.

And now, I shall go and make a "Any Caucasian pre-meds out there?" Thread. Please contribute.

Well, you also have to realize that money goes a lot further in China than it does in America. Because things are so cheap, making "diddly squat" can get you by.

你们可以鞋子中文吗?

Members don't see this ad :)
surebreC said:
你们可以鞋子中文吗?

Yes but funny thing is when my parents send emails, they write it out on paper then ask me to take a jpg of it and email that. They aren't very pinyin or keyboard savvy.

You'll get used to it pretty fast.. I did. You don't even have to tip! I think the funniest thing is when people yell "welcome" in chinese wherever you go. In some cases they throw out the occasional "Hello Hello" to lighter skinned folks.

Man after spending a month in china, I felt like a foreigner (again) in O'Hare.

Jedix123 said:
Yes but funny thing is when my parents send emails, they write it out on paper then ask me to take a jpg of it and email that. They aren't very pinyin or keyboard savvy.

wow, thats a lot of work for something so easy. Using the PRC Pinyin makes typing Chinese very simple.

surebreC said:
你们可以鞋子中文吗?

??
translation?
i think i know what you're saying, but i just want to make sure that i have the correct idea. ;)

thanks.

e_phn said:
??
translation?
i think i know what you're saying, but i just want to make sure that i have the correct idea. ;)

thanks.

Pinyin:

Nimen Keyi Kan Zhongwen ma?

English:

You's can read chinese?

surebreC said:
Pinyin:

Nimen Keyi Kan Zhongwen ma?

English:

You's can read chinese?

thanks. pinyin is easier to understand.

AsianDoc816 said:
I love the way that my mom keeps hoping I'll meet a nice Chinese doctor in medical school....despite the fact that I've been in a 2-year long-term relationship.

haha same here. except my mom says "Korean doctor"

sweetkc said:
haha same here. except my mom says "Korean doctor"

Uh...aren't they called medical students in medical school? I've done a little thinking, if you marry a doctor, who will be squeezing them out and taking care of them?

Your parents who hope to be staying with you until they die. Haven't you seen ER where Mingna killed her dad with KCl to the heart? Ah the burden of the old..

Jedix123 said:
Your parents who hope to be staying with you until they die. Haven't you seen ER where Mingna killed her dad with KCl to the heart? Ah the burden of the old..

How unfilial of her.

I'm in Shanghai right now, and wow, there are a lot more people from the US volunteering at hospitals than I thought. Most of them are all pre-med students just like us. It's a good thing too because I was beginning to feel lonely in this country.

Just curious how do you guys get setups like that? I'm guessing usually through family right? The chinese hospitals are soo freaking crowded it's not funny. I had to wait 8 hrs at the hospital to see a dentist.

A friend matriculating with me to UTSW is volunteering in Taiwan right now.. why? I have no idea.

I never believed how many Chinese people were in medicine in the US until I went to my interviews.

It wasn't even the pre-meds interviewing, although there were plenty there too. At the two interviews I had, 50% of my interviewers were Chinese (okay, so that's like 2 out of 4), and so were a large number of the faculty walking around the schools. It was quite an interesting experience. I guess I can see now why we're not considered under-represented minorities.

I'm Chinese, but this thread is unnecessary because Asian pre-meds are not exactly a minority.

But I guess it's ok if you really want to make it really obvious how ubiquitous we are, or if you want to "support" each other.

I concur regarding the wrongness of the pre-conceived notion that all Asians want to be doctors b/c of their parents.

YES, exactly! my parents worry that I'm never going to get married since I'm going into medicine, yet at the same time, they act as though I have no other choice but to become a physician. If I had known how confused and self-contradicting they were, I would have never listened to them in the first place! And I probably wouldn't be premed.

my favorite is when your parents push you to excel academically and then your mother suddenly turns around when you're in your 20's and says, "You know, men don't like women who are too successful."

Sorry, I'm only part chinese, but I'm going to be attending medical school and my GF who is Vietnamese is trying to do the same. When she told her mom that I got accepted, my GF's mom told her the same thing. "You can't be a doctor, you go be a nurse or something below him. Otherwise, you'll be fighting everyday about being right." Sad, my mom is the non-traditional Chinese woman and is trying to push my GF into becoming a doctor.:confused:

Guess what people? I'm going to Shanghai again! Leaving this Wednesday. This time I'm going to be there for SIX MONTHS! Man, this is going to be an experience...

Sorry, I'm only part chinese, but I'm going to be attending medical school and my GF who is Vietnamese is trying to do the same. When she told her mom that I got accepted, my GF's mom told her the same thing. "You can't be a doctor, you go be a nurse or something below him. Otherwise, you'll be fighting everyday about being right." Sad, my mom is the non-traditional Chinese woman and is trying to push my GF into becoming a doctor.:confused:

hahah yea you better be "sorry" that you're "only" part chinese w/ a non-chinese GF and posting on here.

so asian doctors are hot as the sun; you should totally bump up her stock

haha! :p you KNOW it's an asian pre-med party when we're talking about wantons and our bizarre parents. :)

I have a "thing" for Vietnamese guys....every guy that I've dated (except for one Chinese guy) has been Vietnamese! My mom simply doesn't understand it. She insists that they are inherently different from Chinese people, and is still hoping that I marry a Chinese guy. :eek:

Aren't there a lot of ethnic-Chinese people from Vietnam though? Well, at least for me, like half of the vietnamese people I've met actually later told me they were ethnic-Chinese from vietnam.

Maybe that's a compromise lol.

YES, exactly! my parents worry that I'm never going to get married since I'm going into medicine, yet at the same time, they act as though I have no other choice but to become a physician. If I had known how confused and self-contradicting they were, I would have never listened to them in the first place! And I probably wouldn't be premed.

lol, parents can be panicky is all :D

But you know, I'd wager that even if your parents weren't asian and you ended up being still single at 35 they'd be freaking out on you too, so it's not just an asian thing.

ZOMG this thread is being driven crazy its swerving everywhere AHH H don't hit me wang!

its also too smart for me and its playing Mozarts fifth perfectly because the parent thread is looming over it with a switch in its hand NOOO NOO IM sorY Ill PractiCe HarDer would u lika eggwoll BAHHHHHHH kunG fu CHOP sockY HEE YAH WHAPOW

ALL HAIL MAO ZE KIM JONG IL

all i see is red. not ruby red or classic red.

communist red.

zomg guyz mai parentz still want me to go to Harvard.

zomg guyz mai parentz still want me to go to Harvard.

439b4aa624a01.jpg

ni yao gan wo de gigi!

wo yao gan ni de laopah

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone!!! Did anything interesting for the new year? Do you even know about chinese new year? or just the american chinese year?

Hmm...seems like someone is in trouble! :laugh:

ZOMG this thread is being driven crazy its swerving everywhere AHH H don't hit me wang!

its also too smart for me and its playing Mozarts fifth perfectly because the parent thread is looming over it with a switch in its hand NOOO NOO IM sorY Ill PractiCe HarDer would u lika eggwoll BAHHHHHHH kunG fu CHOP sockY HEE YAH WHAPOW

ALL HAIL MAO ZE KIM JONG IL

all i see is red. not ruby red or classic red.

communist red.

um...how is this allowed? this is blatantly offensive.

see this is the type of thing that makes me want to say, "i hope your mother gets breast cancer, and has to have a double masectomy, and then she can't deal with not having two lumps of fat and commits suicide."

but see, because i realize that the above statement could be rather offensive, i'll just SECRETLY HOPE that you get run over by a car, become paralyzed from the neck down, and live a very VERY long life, while only SAYING, "go die."

um...how is this allowed? this is blatantly offensive.

see this is the type of thing that makes me want to say, "i hope your mother gets breast cancer, and has to have a double masectomy, and then she can't deal with not having two lumps of fat and commits suicide."

but see, because i realize that the above statement could be rather offensive, i'll just SECRETLY HOPE that you get run over by a car, become paralyzed from the neck down, and live a very VERY long life, while only SAYING, "go die."

I think it was all tongue-in-cheek.