Any Asian-Chinese premeds out there? II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it was all tongue-in-cheek.
do you go up to black people and insult their culture 'tongue in cheek?'

if he said the english equivalent of "ni yao gan wo de gigi!" OR "wo yao gan ni de laopah" to black people he'd get his ass whupped. so no. it's not okay to say it, even if it's in jest.

Members don't see this ad.

as "over-represented" minorities in the healthcare fields, i feel we owe it to our fellow minorities (not to say they aren't capable) to uplift them just as much as we have uplifted ourselves. the ama does not see a need for special attention to asian students because we are already well represented. but the asian category is so ridiculously broad that we as a asians must inform others to change it.

i dont know about others, but i really hate the model minority myth. i hate the fact that we are stereotyped, even though it is "good"; that we are used as pawns/examples to blacks and latinos to say, "hey they made it in this 'racist' system, why can't you?" (even though most stats point to immigrant asians in the brain drain who weren't us schooled/trained); that we are forced and only accepted in math/science/technical fields (while other minorities are rarely encouraged at all); that we are not encouraged to be creative, or hold leadership roles; that success of east asians is overly attended to by society, which overshadows the shortcoming/hardships of southeast/other asians, and sometimes pacific islanders (depending where you are from), lastly it takes away the hard work we put into our academic and professional careers pointing to genetic predisposition (though i do consider culture a big influence, the fact that people minimalize our hard work as "just because he/she is asian" is dumb).

it is easy for us to be used in the affirmative action debate also. when people simplify it to quotas; too many asians, i guess we have to limit them, or not enough latinos, lets bring their numbers up. affirmative action is more than that, its about attempting to bring an equal playing field when caucasian males are clearly at an advantage with better schools, networks, access, and socioeconomic privileges--not just putting up/down numbers. as asian americans we have a duty to dispell myths, and help out and work with those who are marginalized. many of us still have strong connections to our homelands, so why not use our education to help out in medical missions. we have a lot of potential, and we shouldn't limit ourselves to the stereotypical shy braniac.

I'm an ABC and have 100% chinese blood but my fiancee is caucasian. She's about as non-asian as you can get. (blue eyed, europeon, blond, even possibly slightly taller than me) I get high-fives for it and I think I get dirty looks for it as well (usually from other males both asian and white). A vietnamese nurse even harassed me about it while I was in a waiting room at a doctors office.

To be fair though, every other girl I really dated was caucasian and the one girl who was asian that I asked out turned me down quick. (not including all the asian girls in high school who rejected me as well)

Members don't see this ad :)
DocYuki is a half-Asian male (mother is Chinese)!

I'd say though, that I look 80% like Mom and 20% like Dad. I look nothing...nothing...nothing like my Dad. Poor guy. He's all light-brown hair and blue-eyed :laugh::laugh:

I strongly think who you date is relevant to early life experiences. I know a couple of girls who refuse to date either 1 way or the other because they had horrible times in the past. Then, because they are a minority, they tend to put the blame for the bad relationship on race instead of the individual. Also, I do think that more americanized girls tend to date white guys more. I have no problem either way but i still think dating your own race has some inherent advantages, especially in the simple things (cooking, hygenie, gift-giving standards, common interests, sleeping habits, its the small things that count the most). However, i can totally see why dating some one from another race would have its own benefits. I know a person is supposed to go after what he/she wants and screw what everyone else says but personally I have close ties with 10 chinese families back home. They all have kids and we all grew up together. We still have those geeky karaoke-filled parties even though all our parents are pushing 50. I just really can't imagine bringing a white girl over and introducing her to everyone. Not saying that i won't date a white girl or that 10 families will be outraged or anything, but she just won't jive as well with my prior connections. Also, it would be just as uncomfortable, i feel, meeting a bunch of white guys at her house. Just imagine the strange looks and whispers. Still a good relationship is worth all the friction but at least for now, me and my korean gf are not going to have to deal with it.
I do seriously have a problem with people that refuse to date their own race because they feel somehow that one race of men is worse than another or the status of dating white is better than dating asian. For those people, there are just as many good guys in either race and you are seriously doing yourself harm by limiting yourself in such a way. Also, when you see a white guy you like, imagine what he would describe as his dream girl, the girl that he would bring back to his parents and marry. Is she white? Probably. I'm not saying that white men don't date asian women but I feel there is still a lot silent pressure for marrying not dating the same race. Just beware, thats all.

i think i've given up on asian guys. they're all so.....yea.

i think i've given up on asian guys. they're all so.....yea.

Lets rephrase:

I think i've given up on [dating] asian guys. They're all so... yea [weak, nerdy, whatever]

ok lets change your statement to fit another context:

I think i've given up on [hiring] black guys. They're all so... yea [lazy, poor... whatever]

Bad assumptions both ways, no?

Lets rephrase:

I think i've given up on [dating] asian guys. They're all so... yea [weak, nerdy, whatever]

ok lets change your statement to fit another context:

I think i've given up on [hiring] black guys. They're all so... yea [lazy, poor... whatever]

Bad assumptions both ways, no?
ha, i used the black analogy like 5 posts above...

well, it's not that i don't like asian guys; i do find them attractive. (hey, i'm pretty nerdy and weak myself. :D) but out of all the guys i've dated, they are the MOST insecure/insanely closeted about their sexuality. and i just can't deal with a guy (of ANY race) who lies to himself and claims that he's straight IN THE SAME BREATH that they're beseeching a bj from yours truly.

...on that note, wanna prove me wrong? :D :D :p :p

lol sorry, I'm not sure my gf would approve. While we are on the topic though, my gf does say she dates me because i am not a typical asian guy. Although I get mad at her when she says that I have to agree that some asian men need to f*^&ing grow a pair. Its doesn't matter whether you watch anime or play video games. It's about if you can think past your culture/family/education when it comes to dating. I know this is way off topic but I think its not that asian men are too weak, its that they are too self-absorbed and self-pitying to really work against that stereotype. If we as a whole thought a bit less and act a little more, i'm sure girls would be more willing to date asians. That said, I know plenty of asian guys at our school who are ballers and do a great job blowing that stereotype right out of the water. As for me, I'm not sure if premed and baller belong in the same sentence.

here's a question,

how's the nicest way to go to my roomate and say "hey quit being a dirty filthy stupid mainlander?"

here's a question,

how's the nicest way to go to my roomate and say "hey quit being a dirty filthy stupid mainlander?"

you can start by saying "excuse my ignorance for i'm a dirty filthy stupid sell-out......."

that should be "nice" enough.

chinese baby! i'm actually in beijing right now. man this place is polluted.

What's with the bias against mainlanders? And why do Taiwanese people think they're hot stuff?

*edit*, actually, don't answer that because I don't want start any flames. My point is, the mainland is a great place.

can i post here? im african-chinese as opposed to asian-chinese.