Any Asian Indian Pre-Meds Out There? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 years old thread? impressive.

Members don't see this ad.

gujuDoc said:
REL's good for advice, but I've seen cases as bad if not worse then yours who got into USF, so he may usually be accurate, but sometimes his words contradict with Dr. Williams or Dr. Wathington say. He's one of the 5 I have on that list, but there are 4 other people who you can go to for a second opinion because sometimes you'll find it does differ greatly what you'll hear from someone like Dr. Wathington then what you'll hear from REL.

Trust me in the 2004 application cycle there were quite a few people who had just barely had a 3.0 GPA and 2.5 their first time in undergrad. They had 34+ MCAT scores and decent ECs, LORs, and Personal statements and had interviews. One girl who was in a similar predicament had interviews at Ohio State, USF, UF, Umiami, and a phone interview at Mayo. So you never can really say what will happen. But I'll send you the same PM I sent others.
Guju, can you forward me that PM also, hehe....since I'm applying this cycle as well. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
I applaud you two if you can actually pull through with 40+ applications. I'd strongly suggest that JunebugUF apply to schools like NYMC, Albany, RFU, etc. Those schools seem to love nontrads who've done postbacs and so forth.

Even though I have 40+, I have a good amount of reaches for good measure :p I'm not sure if I just want to waste money or just hoping for some guy behind some desk at some dream school to say "what the hell, why not..."

Won't filling out secondaries be like hell to you DrVan?

monami said:
Won't filling out secondaries be like hell to you DrVan?

haha for me too... im already overwhelmed with the ones that are like.. "you dont have to wait to be verified!! fill it out now!!" i'm like omg.... i already have 7 to do!!!! :eek:

gujuDoc said:
I applaud you two if you can actually pull through with 40+ applications. I'd strongly suggest that JunebugUF apply to schools like NYMC, Albany, RFU, etc. Those schools seem to love nontrads who've done postbacs and so forth.

i applied to like 60 schools, and filled out secondaries for about half. i got 5 interviews, was rejected shortly after my first, and am on the alternate list for the other 4. applying all over is sometimes necessary, especially when you are from california.

MasterMD said:
haha for me too... im already overwhelmed with the ones that are like.. "you dont have to wait to be verified!! fill it out now!!" i'm like omg.... i already have 7 to do!!!! :eek:

:laugh: I know what you mean, after tonight I will be done with 8 or 9, I already lost count.

As for secondaries being hell, yes it will suck. But for the 2006-2007 academic year, I will be: Volunteering 4 hrs/week, teaching MCAT, and doing some part-time work in public health. Its not like I am busy as hell lol. So secondaries will be my full time job.

DrVanNostran said:
:laugh: I know what you mean, after tonight I will be done with 8 or 9, I already lost count.

As for secondaries being hell, yes it will suck. But for the 2006-2007 academic year, I will be: Volunteering 4 hrs/week, teaching MCAT, and doing some part-time work in public health. Its not like I am busy as hell lol. So secondaries will be my full time job.

where you goto high school? nequa/central/north?

I went to DGS

Its_MurDAH said:

I went to DGS

I was out at NCHS, we are basically right down the street :laugh:

DrVanNostran said:
I was out at NCHS, we are basically right down the street :laugh:

that's awesome

where did you end up going to undergrad then?

Gujudoc, could you forward it to me too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm Indian too!! But I'm from South India (kerala to be exact). Can't believe this thread is still going on .. 3 years later! Go Desis!! :D

PS: Any South Indians here?

Its_MurDAH said:

I went to DGS

Nequa is where my parents friends children went several years ago. The friends in Naperville who we went to visit that is.

When their daughter first went there, it was just opening and it was in the news paper all around the country. My parents had actually read about it.

Bilal,

I'll send you that PM in just a minute.

To the rest of you good luck this cycle.

*iLumina* said:
Hey, I'm Indian too!! But I'm from South India (kerala to be exact). Can't believe this thread is still going on .. 3 years later! Go Desis!! :D

There were a few malus from last cycle. Wetlightnining and the guy who's going to UTSW but who's name escapes me right now.

I have a few Malu friends that are premed and applying, but they don't post on here much. In general, I haven't found many Malu indians on SDN as much as I've found there to be a lot of gujus or north indos on here.

My cousin's half malu too. His dad is from Trivandrum. its his house I'm typing from as we speak. :p

Its_MurDAH said:
that's awesome

where did you end up going to undergrad then?

Hey did you go to UIC? I ended up at BU in the burbs :mad: My mom was to paranoid to let me go to any of my top choice--some of my acceptance letters were hidden

DrVanNostran said:
Hey did you go to UIC? I ended up at BU in the burbs :mad: My mom was to paranoid to let me go to any of my top choice--some of my acceptance letters were hidden

i would be :mad: :mad: :mad:

on another note, has anyone seen the movie "Krrish"

apparently it broke like all bollywood box office records: hrithik as a superhero, go figure

No one knows Mr. Smiley Face's true identity :smuggrin:

*iLumina* said:

I'm South Indian. Born in Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu) and grew up in Bangalore (Karnataka). :D

DrVanNostran said:
I am at 46 right now, I don't care what people say. For some of us, applying to 40+ schools is the only reasonable thing to do :D

Awesome...the hardest part for me has been convincing my dad that a $2000 AMCAS bill (and thats just for the primary) is a necessary expense. He keeps going on about someone's kid who went to the Caribbean and is already a doctor. If it werent for my obsession with surgery, I might have gone to one of those schools, if only to save two years.

*iLumina* said:

Me... born and raised in the US. Good luck with applying.

so; is it disingenous to put down BOTH urdu and hindi in languages?

legobikes said:

no, i put down gujrati and hindi

potato51 said:
Me... born and raised in the US. Good luck with applying.

You were who I was thinking of the other day when someone was asking about malus. I remembered your name starting with something like a P, but couldn't think of your username for the life of me.

Actually now that I think about it there was another malu person who PMed me a while back by the name of Maludoc.

But mostly, people on SDN are guju or north indo of some sort.

junebuguf said:
Awesome...the hardest part for me has been convincing my dad that a $2000 AMCAS bill (and thats just for the primary) is a necessary expense. He keeps going on about someone's kid who went to the Caribbean and is already a doctor. If it werent for my obsession with surgery, I might have gone to one of those schools, if only to save two years.

:laugh: I had the same problem, but I just *borrowed* my dads card and he hasn't said anything thus far :D

wow this thread is huge... i guess that's to be expected though :laugh:

DrVanNostran said:
:laugh: I had the same problem, but I just *borrowed* my dads card and he hasn't said anything thus far :D

Dude you have no idea how many times I have rolled up at the benedictine gym to play ball...most of the time we got kicked out after a couple of games cuz none of us were students. I think a couple of summers ago I was there almost every other day of the week.

My cousin actually went to BU and she just graduated last year.

Sucks that you had to be in the suburbs but I hear BU is a premed pumping machine. What a small world. I am sure if i were to mention a few names you would probably know those people and vice versa.

I'm guessing you are a rising senior?

legobikes said:

i put both.. they are very different if you get down to the fundamentals.. i know plenty of people who know one but can't understand a lick of the other.. it counts :) in that case, punjabi would also be "too similar" but i put that too... haha people are always like.. wow you know three languages??? i'm like hahaha kinda.... :smuggrin: ;)

junebuguf said:

haha my parents deposit $1000 into my account every other day.... "apply to whereever you need to... we are behind you 100%...." haha maybe i should just apply to one school and get plastic surgery with the rest hahaha....

rajad10 said:
on another note, has anyone seen the movie "Krrish"

apparently it broke like all bollywood box office records: hrithik as a superhero, go figure

Hrithik is not a person.. haha i used to like him but i really don't anymore.. i think he's just too inflated/muscley.... i prefer shahrukh :love: :love: although he is getting old... i now call him uncle shahrukh :laugh:

i really want to see fanaa... i heard it got banned in gujurat because of a comment aamir khan made against the government... :rolleyes:

I put down Hindi, but my regional Indian dialect was not listed (there are only about 700, so why the disrespect AAMC?) I was queasy about listing Hindi because I dont want an interviewer to pimp me on it. I only speak Hinglish, after all.

MasterMD said:
haha my parents deposit $1000 into my account every other day.... "apply to whereever you need to... we are behind you 100%...." haha maybe i should just apply to one school and get plastic surgery with the rest hahaha....

Hrithik is not a person.. haha i used to like him but i really don't anymore.. i think he's just too inflated/muscley.... i prefer shahrukh :love: :love: although he is getting old... i now call him uncle shahrukh :laugh:

i really want to see fanaa... i heard it got banned in gujurat because of a comment aamir khan made against the government... :rolleyes:

Fanaa was ok, it didn't meet my Aamir Khan and Kajol expectations :mad: The best part of the movie was the fight before the movie even started..something about popcorn and saving seats :laugh:

As for Hrithik, he's overrated as an actor :thumbdown:

Best actors IMO are Aamir Khan and SAif Ali Khan. Shah Rukh is gettin a lil old now :rolleyes:

Its_MurDAH said:
Dude you have no idea how many times I have rolled up at the benedictine gym to play ball...most of the time we got kicked out after a couple of games cuz none of us were students. I think a couple of summers ago I was there almost every other day of the week.

My cousin actually went to BU and she just graduated last year.

Sucks that you had to be in the suburbs but I hear BU is a premed pumping machine. What a small world. I am sure if i were to mention a few names you would probably know those people and vice versa.

I'm guessing you are a rising senior?

Haha I probably played ball with you randomly :laugh: BU public safety are a bunch of punks, they only check IDs when the brown kids come in. Have you played at Midwestern? I haven't gone lately but used to over there a lot. I probably either know your cousin or have seen her by face for sure.

I actually just finished my MPH from their, I took a year off after graduating in '04 but did my MPH just last year. If you have nothing to do this year might as well do the MPH there,its pretty easy lol.

DrVanNostran said:
Haha I probably played ball with you randomly :laugh: BU public safety are a bunch of punks, they only check IDs when the brown kids come in. Have you played at Midwestern? I haven't gone lately but used to over there a lot. I probably either know your cousin or have seen her by face for sure.

I actually just finished my MPH from their, I took a year off after graduating in '04 but did my MPH just last year. If you have nothing to do this year might as well do the MPH there,its pretty easy lol.

Yeah, I actually have played at Midwestern's gym a couple of times. Not too much though.

Oh and to respond to your earlier post, I didn't goto UIC. I just have many friends there. I went to IIT in southside and recently graduated in December.

:laugh: :laugh:

The word of the day today is HAHA

I just read two posts where Haha started the first line of each sentence. Just messing with ya guys!!! ;) ;) :p

My dad didn't watch Fanaa for the same reason. he's also against Aamir for his comment about the dam project in Gujurat

gujuDoc said:
:laugh: :laugh:

The word of the day today is HAHA

I just read two posts where Haha started the first line of each sentence. Just messing with ya guys!!! ;) ;) :p

My dad didn't watch Fanaa for the same reason. he's also against Aamir for his comment about the dam project in Gujurat

"I am neither against Narmada Dam nor Gujarat," says Aamir Khan - Bollywood star Aamir Khan, whose film "Fanaa" is not being screened in Gujarat due to protests by BJP activists, has said he is neither against the Sardar Sarovar dam project nor the state. -

How can you father be mad at someone who is neutral?

DrVanNostran said:
Fanaa was ok, it didn't meet my Aamir Khan and Kajol expectations :mad: The best part of the movie was the fight before the movie even started..something about popcorn and saving seats :laugh:

As for Hrithik, he's overrated as an actor :thumbdown:

Best actors IMO are Aamir Khan and SAif Ali Khan. Shah Rukh is gettin a lil old now :rolleyes:

yeah haha... saif doesnt want to get married for the sake of not introducing turmoil into his kids lives.. otherwise id be in india right now stalking him :love:

NRAI2001 said:
"I am neither against Narmada Dam nor Gujarat," says Aamir Khan - Bollywood star Aamir Khan, whose film "Fanaa" is not being screened in Gujarat due to protests by BJP activists, has said he is neither against the Sardar Sarovar dam project nor the state. -

he's not neutral.. he might be clearing things up now but he wasnt neutral before... that dam project will cause the eviction of thousands of tribal people who don't properly fall under any specific demographic category other than "tribal" or "scheduled castes" in india.. its kinda sad .. but i'm no authority on this so don't take what i say to heart.

MasterMD said:
he's not neutral.. he might be clearing things up now but he wasnt neutral before... that dam project will cause the eviction of thousands of tribal people who don't properly fall under any specific demographic category other than "tribal" or "scheduled castes" in india.. its kinda sad .. but i'm no authority on this so don't take what i say to heart.

Yea I ve heard that argument also. I havent really looked too much into the topic. But I heard that as many people that are benefited by the project, much more will be hurt by it. Ousted people, people who will have water supplies cutoff from them as the water are rerouted.

Anybody have any good links or info on the topic?

NRAI2001 said:

My dad's weird like that. Don't ask me. I don't agree with 90% of the stuff he says. Its like when he calls all South Indians Madrasi. That drives me up the wall cuz its offending and I have tons of South indo friends.

gujuDoc said:
My dad's weird like that. Don't ask me. I don't agree with 90% of the stuff he says. Its like when he calls all South Indians Madrasi. That drives me up the wall cuz its offending and I have tons of South indo friends.

Hahaha

"NOT A DUDE!! ME = FEMALE!"........are you mistakened for a dude a lot? :D

MasterMD said:
yeah haha... saif doesnt want to get married for the sake of not introducing turmoil into his kids lives.. otherwise id be in india right now stalking him :love:

:laugh: I think he just like to single. On a side note; I won an informal Saif Ali Khan look alike contest in college---actually it was a bunch of girls who had crap to during lunch :laugh:

I HAVE NO COMMENT ON THE DAM PROJECT BUT I DID COME ACROSS THIS WEBSITE:

http://www.supportnarmadadam.org/raise-your-voices.aspx

Its_MurDAH said:
Yeah, I actually have played at Midwestern's gym a couple of times. Not too much though.

Oh and to respond to your earlier post, I didn't goto UIC. I just have many friends there. I went to IIT in southside and recently graduated in December.

Oh nice, I know some people from way back who went there. I assume you aren't in the guarantee program?

Two Words: Ahsan Kamal-------AKA Camel.........You know him?

MasterMD said:
i put both.. they are very different if you get down to the fundamentals.. i know plenty of people who know one but can't understand a lick of the other.. it counts :) in that case, punjabi would also be "too similar" but i put that too... haha people are always like.. wow you know three languages??? i'm like hahaha kinda.... :smuggrin: ;)
I really don't think urdu and hindi are all that different, I've always been able to talk with any indian who knows hindi. besides for loanwords in higher vocabulary, (arabic/farsi vs sanskrit) it's damn well the same. so, technically, we do know both.

that brings my language count to four. no panjab though. I've always maintained panjabi is just urdu with more N and D (as in phaD dena - to rip) sounds.

double post.. sorry

legobikes said:
I really don't think urdu and hindi are all that different, I've always been able to talk with any indian who knows hindi. besides for loanwords in higher vocabulary, (arabic/farsi vs sanskrit) it's damn well the same. so, technically, we do know both.

that brings my language count to four. no panjab though. I've always maintained panjabi is just urdu with more N and D (as in phaD dena - to rip) sounds.

it depends... pakistani punjabi or indian panjabi... indian panjabi and urdu are nothing alike whereas pakistani punjabi and urdu just have slight dialectical differences that don't make a difference in the understanding.. (spent 2 years in punjabi pakistan and MUCH time in india)

Ilovelamp said:
I'm South Indian. Born in Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu) and grew up in Bangalore (Karnataka). :D

Hey i'm from Bangalore too!

i am indian and premed
i joined the club a while back

Status
Not open for further replies.