Any Asian Indian Pre-Meds Out There? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
man...this sounds like a fun club to join....desi premeds...
anyone here from Cal?

Members don't see this ad.

Gunslinger said:
anyone here from Cal?

From Cal, just graduated.

What percentage of Indian premeds do you think go to the carribean for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrVanNostran said:
I just watched Green Street Hooligan....highly recommend it.

GSE BABY!!!!

just watched it last night like i said i would.. it was SOOOO GOOODDD!!!! i laughed, i cried, i became more determined about my life.. hahaha :thumbup:

Gunslinger said:
anyone here from Cal?

im from cal... i just "graduated" walked in May... graduating in December... :)

Any "hot" Indian pre-med men out there?

photo_girl07 said:
Any "hot" Indian pre-med men out there?

Why, are you a "hot" Indian pre-med woman?

nice quote action

sorry as06, from my experience they don't exist.

drdoctor said:
I'm from west mambalam, chennai...well I'm from "america" but I visit chennai quite often. Where are you from?

I'm originally from Madras too, Mylapore!

desidr said:

which one, hot indo pre-med men or women?

Holla guys, full blooded Jhatt here!

But quick question... how many of you guys are doing this cuz of your parents?

viciouz said:

Probably more than you think. As for me, my dad wanted me to be an engineer, but I defied him, and my mom just wanted me to be happy and bring a "sohni kudi" home some day.... :oops:

J

P.S. - Consider this my application to join the club ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
viciouz said:

yeah sometimes i wonder if the not so subliminal messages i've been recieving reinforces everything, not specifically from my parents but from like every indian i know...i met this old indian guy last week who knew some of my distant relatives back in the motherland. hah first thing he says to me when he walks through the door was "ohh very good mcat score." i've also been asked by everyone back in india for the last..5 years when am i going to be done with medschool..i'm 21. culture like that's got to affect a person.

add one more asian indian pre-med student to the list please.

UVA Bioengineering Indian Pre-med joining the club. Holler :D

potato51 said:
does being in Texas in August count?

Ha, ha, ha :laugh:

Luv the sense of humor. You get HOT points for that :love:

photo_girl07 said:
Ha, ha, ha :laugh:

Luv the sense of humor. You get HOT points for that :love:

From this thread, I think I can assume that Indians cannot apply as a URM. Just a wild guess.

viciouz said:

Dont do it for your parents PLEASE!!! The novelty of being in med school wears off quickly.

Med school isnt fun nor are med students. I m two days into medical classes and it sucks...its not too difficult or anything......just med students are shady little nerds and your life will revovle around these people and your classes for the next 4 years......then your life will revolve around your fellow residents for the next 3 to 6 years.

Only do it if you really love it..............bc u ll hate your life if you dont (regardless if you can handle the content or not).

durfen said:
From this thread, I think I can assume that Indians cannot apply as a URM. Just a wild guess.
I think that Asian Indians should be able to claim URM status based on the fact that Columbus actually set out to discover India and landed here by mistake, paving the way for American Indians to become minorities! But no, we are definitely ORM, not that it matters much one way or another.

uvce said:
I think that Asian Indians should be able to claim URM status based on the fact that Columbus actually set out to discover India and landed here by mistake, paving the way for American Indians to become minorities! But no, we are definitely ORM, not that it matters much one way or another.

Definitely way too many indians kids in med school..........

desidr said:

apparently you haven't met me :) ;)

drdoctor said:
I'm from west mambalam, chennai...well I'm from "america" but I visit chennai quite often. Where are you from?
Originally from chennai also, but don't visit often (laaaaaaaaate post)

marathi here...sophomore undergrad...just getting started in this forum

okay so do any of you have parents that constantly want to know everything about your application? my dad keeps wanting to ask me which secondary i got, how far i am with it, if he can see my essays? he asks everyday.. do any of you feel annoyed if your parents do this? do any of your parents do this? its really nagging and i just hate it, ive already told him i don't like it, but i guess hes too caught up in his optimism..

jamaicandoc said:
okay so do any of you have parents that constantly want to know everything about your application? my dad keeps wanting to ask me which secondary i got, how far i am with it, if he can see my essays? he asks everyday.. do any of you feel annoyed if your parents do this? do any of your parents do this? its really nagging and i just hate it, ive already told him i don't like it, but i guess hes too caught up in his optimism..

Asking about secondaries and stuff is normal......but reading your PERSONAL statement is kinda annoying.

Just dont let him read ur personal statements. :thumbup:

jamaicandoc said:

haha my parents used to be like that... fortunately i have an older sister and they have learned since then :) i let them know if its too much though by expressing my stress... they back off then :)

haha, actually i have the exact opposite problem. my parents have no idea what schools i applied to, when i sent in secondaries, etc. they just trust me that i know what i'm doing. and also, bein a first-generation they're more caught up in their jobs and stuff. so it works out for all of us. :) they ask general questions and wait for me to respond and tell them the details.

bluenebula83 said:
haha, actually i have the exact opposite problem. my parents have no idea what schools i applied to, when i sent in secondaries, etc. they just trust me that i know what i'm doing. and also, bein a first-generation they're more caught up in their jobs and stuff. so it works out for all of us. :) they ask general questions and wait for me to respond and tell them the details.

hahha.. fair enough.. i wish my parents were like that at times.. im first generation too.

jamaicandoc said:

It's alright... just look at it from the positive aspect... Your parents really care about you. In my opinion, the exact opposite scenario would suck more, so you should feel fortunate in the overall sense. I guess I can understand if it's a constant nagging type of deal, but again, I would rather have that than no concern at all.

DO you guys know of any good site from where you can download indian movies? Bit torrent? Lime wire? Anyother free sites?

hey guys,

South indian here, living in the states - sophomore in college, pre-med.

This thread is awesome.

nice to meet you all.

your daughter come on mah property and she kick mah doag.

Anybody playing down the Indian angle on the secondaries? I just realized that I was unconciously doing that.....pretty much the only place you know I'm Indian is the ethnicity field of the AMCAS app. I haven't even mentioned family anywhere,. though it is a rather big part of my life. I think I feel that there is a inherent prejudice in the admissions process against mentioning it.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad really.

hey hey count me IN... whoo hooooooooooo desi premeds! :)

It seems like Indian kids are going into Dental more often these days than they did in the past.

Anyone else notice this?

Status
Not open for further replies.