Any Asian Indian Pre-Meds Out There? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Asian Invasion (?)

Members don't see this ad.

i'm sure that 75% of that 33% asian docs are docs cause of their parents..

Another south indian here. how are we doing re. the application process?

I nreply to the Prince: most of those 75% became doctors because the parents raised them to want it (Indian parents are very hands on).
In any case what is choice but doing what you want? If you want what your parents want, that is a choice like any other.

Members don't see this ad :)

I nreply to the Prince: most of those 75% became doctors because the parents raised them to want it (Indian parents are very hands on).
In any case what is choice but doing what you want? If you want what your parents want, that is a choice like any other.

Where in South india are you from? What state?

Here's some thoughts from another south Indian :) I think that you have a valid point about wanting to please your parents, but at the same time when does that end? After seeing my younger cousin get shipped off to India for med school even though she wanted to do it here, it just made me wonder... and as someone who's parents don't care about what I do, I wish people would do what they want so I wouldn't have to continually defend my own choices... not to hate on you, as I think we all feel the turmoil of doing what we want and pleasing our parents

PS- DrVanNostran, I got below a 35 and I got a couple of acceptances in October so I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to other desis... and yeah I know it was a surprise to me too :D

Hmmm Paki here....close enough or not quite? :smuggrin: :p

Same difference as far as I'm considered. Your ancestors were Indian prior to 1947. ;)

JunebugUF,

Somehow I doubt your earlier post about the SMP not being of any help. You ended up getting into med school from what I recall. Where did you end up getting in at??? I think you lacked a lot of faith in yourself and your capabilities but judging from the fact that you got in somewhere it seems your work doing postbaccs and an SMP program did wonders. maybe it didn't get you home state love but it sure did get you US MD school love. :D

Hello everyone, South Indian here representing Andhra. Raised abroad, living it up in the states. Nice to meet you.

I know how it feels wanting to please your parents... but freshmen year of Undergrad... I totally went against all my parents wishes and now I am supporting myself at UCI. Then at the end of freshmen year... I decided I wanted to become a surgeon by myself... so now I feel like I am not doing it for my parents or because my parents think I should... I am doing it for myself.

I think people, especially those with family pressures, should take the time to look into it for themselves and not blindly follow what their parents say.

Half the students I tutor for Organic Chemistry want to be Doctors because their parents have told them to become one... and quite frankly... they are the ones who have no motivation or drive towards actually wanting to become one.

If my parents had their way, I'd be a professor. In engineering. With a fully intact liver.

I have a conspiracy theory in the works.

Something tells me that this year is a very bad year to apply if you are of south asian decent.

Remember that for the more competitive schools (such as Harvard, Penn, etc), the South Asian numbers are fairly low and those that do gain seats are ridiculous applicants.

The way I think of it:

Instead of say vying for 1 seat out of 150. We are vying for 1 out of 20 or so, and 1 out of 10 or so if you take sex into account.

Remember, no school would ever want SouthAsians overrepresenting their school. Hence, we are restrained by a quota like everyone else. That said, there are way too many South Asians applying and far too little seats.

I consider myself lucky because my parents didn't push medicine on me, rather they don't want me to see me falter on reaching my goals.

My parents are the furthest things from being doctors (engineer + housewife), both get queasy at the sight of blood, and are all like, medicine, sure.....more annam?

My sister is in journalism and the youngest wants to be a meterologist/geologist (wtf?). I think most Indian parents hold education to very high standards and equate years of schooling with prestige. Hence the fascination with medicine.

Oh yeah, Hyderabad represent!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to start at Drexel this coming August?

*Since we have already the references to Indian food, parental pressure, and all desis are pre-med in this thread, will someone please mention Bollywood and end this biatch. :)

Sure: bollywood movies suck ass; too much prancing and crying and ****ty fight scenes with the same story since I saw my first one in the early 90's.

i feel that no matter what your parents push you towards...medicine you cannot be pushed in to!
it requires too much determination, passion, and dedication to be something you're pushed in to :)
on the other hand..anyone going to utmb galveston??
bollywood movies...ahhhh..you gotta love 'em...where else would you get your dose of life and dance????
and mind you..they are not the same as the ones from the 80s anymore!

Here's some thoughts from another south Indian :) I think that you have a valid point about wanting to please your parents, but at the same time when does that end? After seeing my younger cousin get shipped off to India for med school even though she wanted to do it here, it just made me wonder... and as someone who's parents don't care about what I do, I wish people would do what they want so I wouldn't have to continually defend my own choices... not to hate on you, as I think we all feel the turmoil of doing what we want and pleasing our parents

PS- DrVanNostran, I got below a 35 and I got a couple of acceptances in October so I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to other desis... and yeah I know it was a surprise to me too :D

Fully agree. I just said that sometimes you are put down because your interests align with your parents - for some reason that's a crime. I'm not doing it just to please my parents, there were numerous discussions before deciding to go pre-med. There are discussions about it even now that I have acceptances (!). I feel sorry for your cousin though, she's going to find it hard coming back to the US and should not have been forced to do it. We did discuss this possibility, but dismissed it out of hand because of the problems of being an IMG. Better to graduate from Meharry and practice here (that said I didn't apply there).

i feel that no matter what your parents push you towards...medicine you cannot be pushed in to!
it requires too much determination, passion, and dedication to be something you're pushed in to :)
on the other hand..anyone going to utmb galveston??
bollywood movies...ahhhh..you gotta love 'em...where else would you get your dose of life and dance????
and mind you..they are not the same as the ones from the 80s anymore!

I was going to interview at galveston........

I was born outside of India, but parents are from Tamil Nadu.

Ohh ok. Yeah I was asking cuz I have several malu friends. :p

My dance teacher is tamilian though. Actually I saw you were one on of those who had been waiting on the HMS thread these past few days. One of the girls that got accepted there last year was Tamil too. Very impressive gal. She went to Harvard for undergrad too and have 4.0 and 40 or 41 MCAT, all the other typical stuff plus the clincher. She was a Bharatanatyam dancer and carnatic singer for more then 16 years and was still performing even through college. That impressed me a lot more then her numbers or other things because many people tend to give up after arangetram and just dance only on occasion at Indian parties and what not.

Oh and to everyone here......

I'm not doing it for my parents. I wanted to go into medicine on my own. My parents actually discouraged it. It was more my brothers that they tried to push towards medicine but my brothers didn't want to do it and did other things instead. The eldest bro is an engineer and the other older bro is a bank examiner. :)

Ohh ok. Yeah I was asking cuz I have several malu friends. :p

My dance teacher is tamilian though. Actually I saw you were one on of those who had been waiting on the HMS thread these past few days. One of the girls that got accepted there last year was Tamil too. Very impressive gal. She went to Harvard for undergrad too and have 4.0 and 40 or 41 MCAT, all the other typical stuff plus the clincher. She was a Bharatanatyam dancer and carnatic singer for more then 16 years and was still performing even through college. That impressed me a lot more then her numbers or other things because many people tend to give up after arangetram and just dance only on occasion at Indian parties and what not.

Oh and to everyone here......

I'm not doing it for my parents. I wanted to go into medicine on my own. My parents actually discouraged it. It was more my brothers that they tried to push towards medicine but my brothers didn't want to do it and did other things instead. The eldest bro is an engineer and the other older bro is a bank examiner. :)

Can i get this girl's name and phone number? ;) Got rejected by harvard. oh well, still a few ivy leagues to hear from. another 10-15 days.....for some reason i feel less tension than during the MCAT times.

if you stop dancing after you're done with your arangetram...that means you probably just stuck through with it in order to get to that point!
arangetram means your debut in to higher learning!....
if anyone is still learning bharatnatyam...i encourage everyone to continue it..it's such a blessing to be a dancer :)

Can i get this girl's name and phone number? ;) Got rejected by harvard. oh well, still a few ivy leagues to hear from. another 10-15 days.....for some reason i feel less tension than during the MCAT times.

hahahahahahahaha. You can look on the old thread for her posts. She was named something like Natyala or something like that. I don't remember the exactly what it was just that it was one of the most impressive things. I hate hearing stories about people who quit dancing after arangetram unless their teacher wasn't good to begin with in which there is no point if they aren't even doing a good job because of a teacher's shortcomings.

I have heard that many teachers in America do a poor job of teaching Bharatanatyam because they themselves are not people seeking to create proper schools of dance but people who are just collecting black market kind of money by passing it off as teaching. Its really sad.

A good friend of mine used to learn Kuch Pudi, Bharatanatyam, and Mohini attam in Kerala when she lived there til she was 16. But after her arangetram she moved to Fl. cuz her family made the decision to move from India for varied reasons. At any rate, its sad cuz she couldn't continue since they didn't have a lot of good teachers or money at the time. Now she has the money but doesn't have the time though I try to tell her she should pick it up again now that there is a good teacher where she lives.

I think the problem is that a lot of girls here do it for their parents and not because they are seriously interested in it.

if you stop dancing after you're done with your arangetram...that means you probably just stuck through with it in order to get to that point!
arangetram means your debut in to higher learning!....
if anyone is still learning bharatnatyam...i encourage everyone to continue it..it's such a blessing to be a dancer :)

I agree. I often use the analogy of martial arts when comparing to Bharatanatyam.

When you learn martial arts, a black belt is not the end of a road but the beginning of a road to a further learning. Many black belts learn til they are no longer able to do it and there are usually 10 degrees and most won't ever reach the end because it takes many years of training in yet further complicated moves and what not and there's just so much to know.

Similarly, I think bharatanatyam's arangetram is the beginning of the road not the end of it. Once you do that then you take it further til you are no longer able to dance and learn and choreograph new items and more advanced performances and most serious dancers will never be able to learn all that there is to learn because there is an abundance of knowledge just like martial arts that there is to learn. Both involve continual growth and a continual body of knowledge and intricate moves and new and interesting ways of combining those moves and basic steps to make something complex.

Dr. Dancer,

Can I guess that you also have spent several years learning Bharatanatyam or other classical dances??

My cousin's daughter learned Bharatanatyam from a woman who teaches at Rice University. That niece of mine is going to be starting undergrad in the fall. She's currently now spending time training in the Orissan style of classical dance as they really liked the teacher and she wanted to continue on with learning some more classical styles after doing her arangetram. She still performs which I'm proud of her for doing.

hahahahahahahaha. You can look on the old thread for her posts. She was named something like Natyala or something like that. I don't remember the exactly what it was just that it was one of the most .....

I hear ya. The problem is, as you said, that a good number take up some form of artistic expression because of their parents. A vast number of those are horrible dancers and HORRIBLE singers. If those people on Sun TV are the 'best', imagine what the rest sung like (that said some on that show are really good). I know I can't sing nor dance, I instead nurture a good ear.

I did a little dancing back when I was in primary school (performed and all that) but stopped because 1. I wasn't that good. 2. Wasn't interested and 3. Had better things to do with my time. My creative pursuits are mostly random and bad pieces of artistic expression. I guess I will always be an engineer.

I hear ya. The problem is, as you said, that a good number take up some form of artistic expression because of their parents. A vast number of those are horrible dancers and HORRIBLE singers. If those people on Sun TV are the 'best', imagine what the rest sung like (that said some on that show are really good). I know I can't sing nor dance, I instead nurture a good ear.

I did a little dancing back when I was in primary school (performed and all that) but stopped because 1. I wasn't that good. 2. Wasn't interested and 3. Had better things to do with my time. My creative pursuits are mostly random and bad pieces of artistic expression. I guess I will always be an engineer.

I agree with you completely. The quality of dancing done by a lot of American Desis is horrible. The malu friend I made a reference to earlier once said the following regarding desi girls in America "The worst dancers in India could out run people here". There are few and far few who have real talent and that only because a. they have a passion for learning the dance and b. they learned from a proper teacher who actually taught it correctly and expected perfection.

I always am embarrassed to watch people who get on the stage and then don't even do a good job all because they wanted to be on stage. That's how it is at the desi functions where I grew up. My cousin learned to dance though not via classical dance training and she used to compete by doing all these bollywood songs. Her parents always made her practice til she got it perfect. On the other hand, a lot of the people where I grew up always did and still do half assed jobs of dancing because they teach themselves the dance in one night or they just don't care enough to do it with perfection. I find it rather annoying cuz you are expected to applaud them even though they weren't all that great.

Is anyone else here on this board Anti-Indian like me? I am Indian myself but I'ld rather not hang out with other desi people because a. they are full of drama, b. don't share the same values, c. think they are Indian but are more white-washed than me, d. or just plain stupid. I am not saying that I am better than everyone else out there, so don't take it that way. I do have Indian friends... but they are like only a select few. I get along with everyone I meet, but I am just picky with my friends and who I choose to hang out with.

haha viciouz, very true. I'm not anti-indian but that whole desi scene on campus is scary. And no, I never did bharatnatyam or any indian dancing. It's funny, so many american indians do bharatnatyam (which is fantstic and impressive) but not many people in India really do it. I mean, my family doesn't dance at all. When I was talking about learning how to bhangra or raas or some kind of dance, my parents were like "why? that's not your culture." I think its fun to watch and occasionally do, but I guess thats true for me...being indian for me isn't neccessarily about participating in all the desi activities (aka TENNIS).

haha viciouz, very true. I'm not anti-indian but that whole desi scene on campus is scary. And no, I never did bharatnatyam or any indian dancing. It's funny, so many american indians do bharatnatyam (which is fantstic and impressive) but not many people in India really do it. I mean, my family doesn't dance at all. When I was talking about learning how to bhangra or raas or some kind of dance, my parents were like "why? that's not your culture." I think its fun to watch and occasionally do, but I guess thats true for me...being indian for me isn't neccessarily about participating in all the desi activities (aka TENNIS).

Agree.
I try to stay out of any social group in general mainly because there's drama and it wastes my time, desi scenes are not the only ones. Social scenes tend to quickly become power grabs and popularity contests....gah.
Being Indian really means having the same overall set of values. I feel I have the same values, but I still listen to all different types of music as well as carnatic etc.

I don't listen to bhangra.....god how can people listen to that! Then again, I listen to Rammstein, which most would say is not exactly the highest form of musical achievement.

Is anyone else here on this board Anti-Indian like me? I am Indian myself but I'ld rather not hang out with other desi people because a. they are full of drama, b. don't share the same values, c. think they are Indian but are more white-washed than me, d. or just plain stupid. I am not saying that I am better than everyone else out there, so don't take it that way. I do have Indian friends... but they are like only a select few. I get along with everyone I meet, but I am just picky with my friends and who I choose to hang out with.

I tend to know a lot of people but the few that I'd say I'd trust my life with and would go out of my way to see even if they moved 100s of miles away are far and far few. Those few tend to be FOBs who were raised in India and tend not to be your typical white washed Desis or they are people who are pretty much like the Indo and Paki and Benagli people who were raised in their respective countries so they themselves are very traditional and religious people.

I do agree that a lot of desis I meet are white washed and not really Indianized so to speak and its sad to see those people who think every week should be let us get drunk night or those people who dress in the sluttiest of clothes or those people who just don't seem to care about their background.

But whatever. To each their own.

However, I will say one thing I've come to learn in life. I don't think desi people are the only people full of drama. For whatever you all say, I used to think they were the only people that were that way. Except I came to realize something in my older years, everyone from every group is like that. People in general are clicquey, irrational, and often times selfish regardless of the group they belong to. Its hard to find people who you can truly trust your life and heart with because so few people will be true to a given person at any given time.

I've heard the same sort of drama stories in pretty much every group of people.

It depends on where you are from. In Tamil Nadu where Bharatanatyam comes from it is a very very big thing and those who are truly interested in the classical form will sometimes leave their own home states to learn Bharatanatyam. My dance teacher even had some non Indian students. Even in Sri Lanka and other states in India like gujurat, karnataka, and some north indian states, there are schools for Bharatanatyam. In modern culture, it is actually picking up again in popularity especially amongst dancers in other professional dance forms where an interest is being taken in teaching and learning Bharatanatyam. Various American universities actually are teaching it in the university as another among the many forms of dances in the Dance and Fine Arts Dept.

Bharatanatyam, like Ballet, is a classical dance which can tell a meaningful story rather then some of these meaningless popular dances. Furthermore, it can help you gain the flexibility and teach you a lot in terms of technique like any classical item does to help you do more modern dances and other forms of dance. Those who are actually interested in dance on a deeper level realize that its not just the spiritual nature of the hindu books and telling the story but also the technique, the focus and concentration you can gain from doing dance that is of importance to them.

In any classical fine arts thing, whether it is classical piano music, classical dance (Ballet in the west or Bharatanatyam, Kuch Pudi, Mohiniattam, Orissan style, etc.), the classics always teach technique and theory in dance which can be valuable to a person even in modern dances and other forms of dance. That's what I was trying to partially state in the above paragraph.

Dr. Dancer,

Can I guess that you also have spent several years learning Bharatanatyam or other classical dances??

My cousin's daughter learned Bharatanatyam from a woman who teaches at Rice University. That niece of mine is going to be starting undergrad in the fall. She's currently now spending time training in the Orissan style of classical dance as they really liked the teacher and she wanted to continue on with learning some more classical styles after doing her arangetram. She still performs which I'm proud of her for doing.

you're right..i started learning bharatanatyam when i was 5 and am still continuing..although this year it has been on and off...I've been very fortunate to have found a really good teacher in the Dallas area.. I love her!!
(I grew up in bombay)...i just feel so sad for all those that leave dancing after doing their arangetram..i guess i understand that school/college/other activities get in the way..but if you were so dedicated and passionate as to do your arangetram then you should still continue it..but i totally agree with you on the fact that a lot of arangetrams here are done just because of parents pushing their kids to do it!

However, I will say one thing I've come to learn in life. I don't think desi people are the only people full of drama. For whatever you all say, I used to think they were the only people that were that way. Except I came to realize something in my older years, everyone from every group is like that. People in general are clicquey, irrational, and often times selfish regardless of the group they belong to. Its hard to find people who you can truly trust your life and heart with because so few people will be true to a given person at any given time.

I've heard the same sort of drama stories in pretty much every group of people.

I totally get what you mean... its the same reason why my best friend, who is Vietnamese, doesn't hang out with his own kind of people. I think we all tend to notice flaws in people of our own ethnicity because we really know how it is. To tell you the truth... more than 80% of the Desi people here are UCI are ******ed...and I've met a lot and I booked it out of those social circles. I am just disappointing that some of them act the way they do. I just stay away from them and just hang out with a select group of friends.

Maybe I am just venting cuz they are probably all partying and I am the stupid science library studying for finals and the MCAT.

Also, one more thing Raas does not really compare because the significance of true traditional raas was only the 4-5 step version. The modern version is just people's new choreography but the 4-5 step version or old version was a folk dance performed at a once a year religious ceremony. Folk dances and classical dances are completely seperate. To make the comparison of Bharatanatyam you'd have to compare it to something more like acting in a play or to something more like ballet because in both of the latter cases they are cases of intricate stage performances which involve telling a much deeper story through their actions whereas Raas and garba are originally performed in a simple manner as folk dances and not originally meant to be competition or stage performed pieces though they have become both of the above in modern culture.

Bharatanatyam however was meant both as a devotion to the gods in the temples and as something to be performed before an audience.

Bharatanatyam is better compared to my analogy of martial arts then it is to folk dances if you ask my opinion. The reason for this is because it takes years and years of training and even after you finish arangetram you haven't exactly finished learning you've just stepped onto the beginning of a never ending ladder. Raas on the other hand is not a structured dance that requires years of training to do.

I totally get what you mean... its the same reason why my best friend, who is Vietnamese, doesn't hang out with his own kind of people. I think we all tend to notice flaws in people of our own ethnicity because we really know how it is. To tell you the truth... more than 80% of the Desi people here are UCI are ******ed...and I've met a lot and I booked it out of those social circles. I am just disappointing that some of them act the way they do. I just stay away from them and just hang out with a select group of friends.

Maybe I am just venting cuz they are probably all partying and I am the stupid science library studying for finals and the MCAT.

Oh you are at UCI?? hahahaha I know someone who used to be there before doing an SMP. I would tell you who but for privacy sake I won't. He's an SDN member. He's one of the better ones though. Really nice guy. I've talked to him on here quite a bit.

But yeah I know about Cali white washed folk cuz I have a friend who tells me about it all the time in L.A. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and that's funny that you bring up Viet people. My roommate is Viet and its the same reason she stays away from organizations like VSA. :laugh: :laugh:

you're right..i started learning bharatanatyam when i was 5 and am still continuing..although this year it has been on and off...I've been very fortunate to have found a really good teacher in the Dallas area.. I love her!!
(I grew up in bombay)...i just feel so sad for all those that leave dancing after doing their arangetram..i guess i understand that school/college/other activities get in the way..but if you were so dedicated and passionate as to do your arangetram then you should still continue it..but i totally agree with you on the fact that a lot of arangetrams here are done just because of parents pushing their kids to do it!

yeah. That's cool that you are in Dallas. My cousin lives in Houston with her hubby and 2 kids. Her daughter graduates from highschool this year and she did Bharatanatyam but she wants to learn Orissan style classical dance cuz they saw the teacher perform somewhere with one of her students and really liked it. She also continues with her Bharatanatyam stuff as well and will be going into journalism for which she got a scholarship for. The teacher she learned from is a dance professor at Rice University and has both students who learn from her privately and via the university.

Your mama

:laugh: :laugh: at the Tennis comment. yeah I don't think its necessary to do the desi activities if you are only doing it to fit in with the crowd so to speak. But I think I'd at least expose my kids to it and see if they are interested. The one thing I do think is important is to make the kid do something that requires physical activity whether it is tennis, dance or something else. The reason being that with our society of ever increasing statistics with diseases like diabetes, child obesity and obesity in general, etc. I think it is important to make kids eat right and get involved with something physical and that getting them involved in something like a sport, dance, or what not is a good way to do it because it also gives them social interaction and teaches them other important things like learning how to stay focused and concentrate, teaching responsibility in time management etc.

All female Asian Indian pre-meds must post or send me a picture (in scrubs preferably). They told me that I was entitled to such as an SDN donor.

All female Asian Indian pre-meds must post or send me a picture (in scrubs preferably). They told me that I was entitled to such as an SDN donor.

:laugh: :laugh: Scrubs?? What's so sexy about scrubs. But trust me I am nothing special in the looks dept. muahahahaha

Are you desi? I would have never guessed.

I just hate the ones that get too caught up in "brown pride" or whatever and dismiss anything that doesn't fall in line with mainstream desi culture. For example, people that think certain types of music are "too white".

I don't consider being Indian as an important part of my identity, so I guess that puts me under "type c" of the people you hate :p.

Any canadian indians here?

And :thumbup: to the person who wrote that years of education = prestige in many indian families.

I just hate the ones that get too caught up in "brown pride" or whatever and dismiss anything that doesn't fall in line with mainstream desi culture. For example, people that think certain types of music are "too white".

I don't consider being Indian as an important part of my identity, so I guess that puts me under "type c" of the people you hate :p.

I don't consider certain types of music too white but I can't stand rap music cuz I don't like the lyrics and I don't like the fact that there's virtually no melody in any rap music.

I think outside of desi music, my favorite kind of music is actually alternative, ska, etc. I'm more into that kind of stuff then typical rap music. I think I get it from my brothers who are more into American culture then desi culture because they were never able to make friends with any of the desi people.

I also mentioned this in the old thread, but the little bit of arabic, albanian, and greek music I've heard is awesome. I also like the bits of Russian music and latino music I've heard. I'm into most music but rap and heavy metal. Country is boring but I can see why a lot of people like it because it has meaninful lyrics.

I t hink he was referring to the kind of people who hang out with other desi people mostly but they all think that its all about acting ghetto and going to the club and starting frats/sororities to be cool kind of phony people not the people who strayed away from desi people due to a lack of finding common ground with indo people.

HAHA anyone heard of DSI? the DeSI frat? Basically, it's that.

Oh and- Baharatnatyam's great, but i'm surprised you don't have more raas pride Ms. gujjudoc :).

Oh and- Baharatnatyam's great, but i'm surprised you don't have more raas pride Ms. gujjudoc :).

hahaha. Don't get me wrong at garba time I'll gladly do raas, but I think Bharatanatyam and south indo classical dances are much better because there's a lot more you can do with them in terms of dance then with FOLK dances.

Its like the difference between doing the JIG and ballet so to speak.

That and I'm more biased towards south indo things cuz I have a lot of south indo influence in my life from the fact that my 2 closest friends a lot of the people I most respect are south indo as far as those fobby desis I talk to and get a long with the best. Not to say I don't talk to others because I do, just that I have a lot of south indo influence in my life. My dance teacher is Tamilian but she actually learned in Gujurat although she learned a lot of technique in South india as well. She learned in my mom's home city of Ahmedabad under a guju. That guju's mom was one of the most famous classical dancers of her time. Mrunalini Surabhai

HAHA anyone heard of DSI? the DeSI frat? Basically, it's that.

Hmm the Desi, frats and sororities at my school are

EEP => Sigma Sigma Rho (Indian sorority)
DPO => Delta Phi Omega (Indian Sorority)

EBP => Sigma Beta Rho (Indian Frat)
DSE = Delta Psi Epsilon (Indian Frat)

I'm not sure on the name for that last one but I think t hat's it. The others are a sure thing around campus. I tend to stay away from those things.

I don't consider certain types of music too white but I can't stand rap music cuz I don't like the lyrics and I don't like the fact that there's virtually no melody in any rap music.

I think outside of desi music, my favorite kind of music is actually alternative, ska, etc. I'm more into that kind of stuff then typical rap music. I think I get it from my brothers who are more into American culture then desi culture because they were never able to make friends with any of the desi people.

I also mentioned this in the old thread, but the little bit of arabic, albanian, and greek music I've heard is awesome. I also like the bits of Russian music and latino music I've heard. I'm into most music but rap and heavy metal. Country is boring but I can see why a lot of people like it because it has meaninful lyrics.

Aww what's so bad about heavy metal? :p. You're right in that most metal bands are crap, just noise, but some hit the spot.
If you like arabic music, you should try listening to rai (Cheb Mami, Cheb Khaled etc.). It's really good.