Any Asian Indian Pre-Meds Out There? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone read any of the 3 Ben Carson books??? I started reading "Gifted Hands" and intend on finishing it cuz it seems to be such an inspirational book.

I've read gifted hands and its quite inspirational. The way he persevered and pushed through the obstacles has motivated me to work harder. It'd be great to meet him one day, he sounds like an amazing person.

Members don't see this ad.

haha..sorry I went off on a Raas tangent..just couldn't resist!!
on the other hand....
anyone want to comment on Black as being the greatest Bollywood movie ever!
I've never seen a movie that has moved me that much!

I've read gifted hands and its quite inspirational. The way he persevered and pushed through the obstacles has motivated me to work harder. It'd be great to meet him one day, he sounds like an amazing person.

i've actually met him before, after he gave a talk at my school about being a neurosurgeon. it was pretty damn cool. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i've actually met him before, after he gave a talk at my school about being a neurosurgeon. it was pretty damn cool. :thumbup:

You know our school had him speak some years ago. I think it was like 3 or 4 years ago that he made a trip to USF as a speaker. Sadly, I never got a chance to go for some reason. I don't even remember why now. I kind of regret it. I wish there was a fan page where we could write to him and tell him how inspirational his story is and how much I appreciate him taking the time to write his books. It was really uplifting when I was feeling down the other day and I intend to buy them and read all 3 of them. I've heard Think Big is also a great book.

Ohh and Dr. Dancer,

yeah I agree with your above post as well and concede you bring up a lot of good points. I think the same goes with the whole discussion of Bhangra.

Yeah I was reading "Gifted Hands" the other day and it was funny because he was talking about the reaction of one of the nurses when he said he was the new direct of Ped neurosurg and his response to her seemed to be rather humble rather then the rude or arrogant nature of many physicians I know in my own life.

haha youlisted some of my favorite movies. I haven't seen all of them but of the ones I've seen or at least heard the music of, I'd say Guru, Dil Chahta Hai, and Lagaan all top!! Swades is good too in terms of music. Not seen the actual movie. I'd also add the following:

Hum Dil De Chukke Sanam
Bend it Like Bekham (although this is not necessarily a bollywood movie per se).
And as corny love storyish this move is I think DDLJ was one of my favorite all time movies along with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

But yeah I agree that you got to dig around to find good desi movies that really stand out.

DDLJ is a classic; you wont get an argument from me on that one. (kajol's one of the few actresses that CAN act.)
Joh Jitah Wohi Siquandar (many spelling mistakes) was a fav of mine. there was this one song (pehla nasha--youtube it) that was just amazing.
Black... big B did an amazing job.. rani was ok (vidhya balan would have been better)

Bumping it up for my brown peepz. muahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahaa

Let me join in.
How me desiboyzzz and girlzzzz doin? We're nearing the end of March Madness decisions by non-rollers.

anyone read Atul Gawande's new book?

i think its called, "Better: a surgeon's notes on performance".

any good? lemme know.

This thread disappeared. Where are all the brown peeps??

anyone read Atul Gawande's new book?

i think its called, "Better: a surgeon's notes on performance".

any good? lemme know.

I've read his first book "Complications", and that was AMAZING! What a gifted writer. I think his book was a finalist for the National Book Award. I will definitely be reading his new book.

Dr. Gawande was also recently awarded a 500,000$ MacArthur Fellowship. What an honor!
---
I basically have 3 inspirations to become a surgeon (someday...):
Dr. Atul Gawande, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, and Dr. Ben Carson.

They're my heroes...:cool:

Interestingly, my aunt had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Carson several times during her neuro-rad fellowship at Hopkins and said he was indeed one of the most humble docs. she had ever met in her life.

I really wanna meet him someday :rolleyes:

I've read his first book "Complications", and that was AMAZING! What a gifted writer. I think his book was a finalist for the National Book Award. I will definitely be reading his new book.

Dr. Gawande was also recently awarded a 500,000$ MacArthur Fellowship. What an honor!
---

Interestingly, my aunt had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Carson several times during her neuro-rad fellowship at Hopkins and said he was indeed one of the most humble docs. she had ever met in her life.

I've been reading "Gifted Hands" and I must say Dr. Carson definitely has to be one of the most humble docs from everything I've read. Seems to be someone who truly understands the struggles of life and doesn't judge people based on where they come from. That's good to see that some people still exist that are that way. Dr. Paul Farmer came off as humble to when he was at our school at the end of May giving a talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump....

Anybody seen Sarkar?

---

Now was that the genius award from the MacArthur foundation?

And his second book "Better" is just that. Even better than the first. Some people complained that the first some seemed like he just put together some random thoughts to sell it as a book. I think they all came under the Complications theme.

Buy the second book.

hey guys! hows everyone holding up?​

Yup now that the season is more or less over for most of us, we're all just chillin'. Did anybody predict that they'd be where they are now?

Resurrect bump for 2008 season and flood of new south asian members (new recruits to take over the healthcare profession :D ).

:laugh:
Bump....

Anybody seen Sarkar?

Yes! It's an amazing, action-packed movie. Ram Gopal Verma does an excellent job. One of the best aspects of Sarkar is that it detracts from the sterotypical "life-woud-be-horrible-w/o-you-so-now-let's-dance-in-the-field-and-celebrate-our-love-before-the-villains-come-and-get-us" type of movie :laugh:

The music is awesome, and very very unique...I esp. loved the shrill flute riffs that added to the thrill of watching "The Godfather" Amitabh Bacchan.

I think there's a sequel coming out soon...

Guju from Jersey ! haha ...hows everyone doing?

Guju from Jersey ! haha ...hows everyone doing?

Hello Hershi. Welcome to SDN. As SDN's resident failure, I would like to welcome you to our little hideout. If any questions about rejection, failure, or good places to eat in Chicago, I am you guy. Welcome!

Hello Hershi. Welcome to SDN. As SDN's resident failure, I would like to welcome you to our little hideout. If any questions about rejection, failure, or good places to eat in Chicago, I am you guy. Welcome!

Aw com'on man.

Haha wow I can't believe there's actually a thread for this. OF COURSE THERE ARE INDIAN PRE-MEDS!

Good to know there are more of us on SDN...

Haha wow I can't believe there's actually a thread for this. OF COURSE THERE ARE INDIAN PRE-MEDS!

Good to know there are more of us on SDN...

Some say too many.

I hate the ...oh you're indian you must be pre-med comments ....

I am asian, indian , desi but not pre-med....lol I wanna sell drugs..I wana be a pharmacist

I am asian, indian , desi but not pre-med....lol I wanna sell drugs..I wana be a pharmacist

haha..BIG! surprise...lol NOT..
actually, what i've noticed from personal experience (basically, I'm judging from a sample size of what..like 25 other desi's i know..) there's an increasing trend in the number of desis wanting to do pharmacy as well as business (heck those are the alternate routes to some nice :cool:$moola$ :thumbup: w/o the long:eek: and winding and "crapsh:p:pt" premed process...)

i see this trend too...majority desis are in

1.medicine
2.law
3.pharmacy
4.business

actually, what i've noticed from personal experience (basically, I'm judging from a sample size of what..like 25 other desi's i know..) there's an increasing trend in the number of desis wanting to do pharmacy as well as business (heck those are the alternate routes to some nice :cool:$moola$ :thumbup: w/o the long:eek: and winding and "crapsh:p:pt" premed process...)

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Its not always about the $$$$$.But was expected from a desi

yeah i totally agree. i'm not going to med school cause i want to make lots of money in the future. your profession is something that u have to evaluate for yourself if it fits in with your personal ideals and values :)

yeah i totally agree. i'm not going to med school cause i want to make lots of money in the future. your profession is something that u have to evaluate for yourself if it fits in with your personal ideals and values :)

As if thats possible anymore. Our parents brainwashed us into loving medicine/health fields from day one. We didnt have a chance. :D :p

The other day my dad admitted to me that one of the reasons he supported my passion for art as a youngster was he wanted me to develop my hand coordination....for when I go into surgery....:eek: :laugh: I thought this was hilarious. It starts from day one people. :D:love:

As if thats possible anymore. Our parents brainwashed us into loving medicine/health fields from day one. We didnt have a chance. :D :p

The other day my dad admitted to me that one of the reasons he supported my passion for art as a youngster was he wanted me to develop my hand coordination....for when I go into surgery....:eek: :laugh: I thought this was hilarious. It starts from day one people. :D:love:

Definitely not something you want to tell an ADCOM :laugh:.

Would it be at all possible to just say that the Indian culture holds in high regard those who help their fellow man? It's another way of saying you got brainwashed, but less obvious.

Definitely not something you want to tell an ADCOM :laugh:.

Would it be at all possible to just say that the Indian culture holds in high regard those who help their fellow man? It's another way of saying you got brainwashed, but less obvious.

Haha, theres nothing to say really. I dont think this brainwashing so to say is reversible...nor would I want it to be! I cant wait to get into the field :D

Haha, theres nothing to say really. I dont think this brainwashing so to say is reversible...nor would I want it to be! I cant wait to get into the field :D

To tell the honest truth, I wanted to escape the cubicle, which is (80% probability) what I would have been in had I stayed an engineer.

y'know what i always wonder? what percentage of desi kids write about going back to india to volunteer in a free health clinic...... and how cliche is it, really? i was just hanging out with some kids last night and they were talking about volunteering with their aunties and uncles. what do you think?

y'know what i always wonder? what percentage of desi kids write about going back to india to volunteer in a free health clinic...... and how cliche is it, really? i was just hanging out with some kids last night and they were talking about volunteering with their aunties and uncles. what do you think?

Good idea if you're premed and have connections back there. I was thinking about that too, but no time.

I am wondering the same thing...I might go this Fall for a couple months. It will be my first time in India though...