Any Audiology Applicants Fall '08?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loc Finesse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought we should get a thread going (it may be a stretch).....:)

Anyone applying to an Au.D program for Fall '08? How are you feeling? Any acceptances?

I've applied to schools and the wait time is killing me! Or maybe schools have already sent acceptances and I'm waiting like the last sad kid waiting to picked. :(

I think I need support and a hug.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying for Fall 09. What schools did you apply to?

I'll be applying for Fall 09. What schools did you apply to?

Ok, so don't laugh at me..I applied to one school that I really wanted to go to (UNC-Chapel Hill)...Got rejected! It's not the end of the world (I'm a non-trad applicant), I'll work at my high-paying job for one more year :p

So I'll refine my skills and boost my GREs a bit, and apply to more schools (duh!) for Fall '09....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to apply to AuD programs for Fall 09 and I was wondering how people afford school and board? I have to pay for schooling myself so I've just been working to pay for rent and taking out loans for tuition. But I've heard that managing a job is almost impossible in the AuD program. How do students pay for housing and tuition without putting themselves in extreme debt? Also, it's likely that I'll have to go out of state for schooling, so that'll just add to the costs. Thanks :)

I am planning to apply to AuD programs for Fall 09 and I was wondering how people afford school and board? I have to pay for schooling myself so I've just been working to pay for rent and taking out loans for tuition. But I've heard that managing a job is almost impossible in the AuD program. How do students pay for housing and tuition without putting themselves in extreme debt? Also, it's likely that I'll have to go out of state for schooling, so that'll just add to the costs. Thanks :)

I am in the same boat, as well. If you start to look early enough, financial aid (non-loans) is out there. You WILL get a ton of loans in your fin aid package too, and that's how schooling/room/board/bills/food is paid. After a year, students apply for in-state residency, of course, state school tuition is reduced, and I think (correct if wrong) some private will shave expenses. It would be ideal to get a fellowship to pay for the bulk of the debt. It would be in your favor to apply for school in state, but I understand that many programs are not within reach, or only offered through private universities.

From what I heard (and observed), the Au.D program is intense, as with any higher education study. Someone asked about the level of difficult in the audiology program, and the responses given were right on point! So I agree that trying to keep a job is not an option; studying/prep for classes & clinical equipment, rotations, study groups and research is like a full time job:cool:.

I am also applying for AuD in fall of 2008. I'm so nervous and no one I know is applying for Audiology. All of my friends here at school want to be SLP's and a few of them have heard back from their colleges but I haven't heard anything yet. The wait is killing me. Hopefully soon though :)

Last edited:
Wow, great job! If you don't mind me asking, what did your gpa and gre look like? I'm really nervous about getting in anywhere. I haven't taken the gre's yet, but I don't generally do very well on standardized tests. my gpa is 3.6, so that's not too competitive either. :p

I applied to mostly schools in Ohio:

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
The northeast consortium ( kent, akron cleveland)
Ohio University
And then Rush in Chicago.

I haven't heard anything yet...

My Gre was above 1000 which is what most schools want, and is higher than most people I talk to here. Most of the people in my major (hearing and speech) haven't even broken 1000 on their GRE's which makes me feel good. My gpa is a 3.5 so thats not too exciting but I feel I have one up at least on people at my school. My letters of rec. should be pretty good, I mean they are from good people so I feel that I have a good application overall. Who knows though.

I'm really worried about not being accepted anywhere. I have no back up plans lol. I have an interview Friday so that should be fun.

I wish AuD programs would accept more people :( And we can all get into everywhere we apply ;)

Wow, great job! If you don't mind me asking, what did your gpa and gre look like? I'm really nervous about getting in anywhere. I haven't taken the gre's yet, but I don't generally do very well on standardized tests. my gpa is 3.6, so that's not too competitive either. :p

Last edited:
Update: I also got into UConn and was waitlisted at Purdue.

UConn must have just sent their letters. I got a rejection one on Monday :(

Still have 6 more to go though.

I applied to mostly schools in Ohio:

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
The northeast consortium ( kent, akron cleveland)
Ohio University
And then Rush in Chicago.

have you heard anything from Norteast Consortium? my status online says under review and was just updated to say application incomplete but I cant get in touch with anyone at the school....voicemails and no email returned for several days now.

I haven't heard anything. I applied to Kent so their deadline isn't until Saturday... But I did get an email from someone at Kent and I'm going to an open house/interview this Friday. Did you apply to Kent or Akron? And if so are you going to the open house friday?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
yeah that is understandable. I'm driving up tomorrow if the weather is alright.

I applied at University of North Texas in Denton for this fall. I am anxiously awaiting word. That is the only one, since I am not really willing to move. I also applied for the speech program there and at Texas Woman's University as a backup just in case. I don't have a great GPA (3.0 cumulative, graduated 10 years ago from UNT but have taken about 6 classes since with all A's). GRE scores were about 920 total. Not great, but I am hoping my work experience as an audiology assistant and my good recommendation letters will help. We will see. I don't think I have a great chance. It is unfortunate, because I would LOVE this field and think I would do well in it. I love technology, science, and kids. Perfect combo. Oh well. Can't go back 10 years and retake my last undergrad semester. I took too many classes I didn't care about because I just wanted to graduate and get out of there, and I made too many C's. Anyway, speech is still a good backup for me, but I am not sure they will accept me either!!

yeah well good luck! I just hate waiting with no word back from any of my schools. It's getting very depressing. My roommate is applying for speech and like every couple of days she is hearing back from places. She got into purdue which is like her dream school, and I haven't received one letter from one school. I applied to all of the schools she did, except purdue and they had the same deadlines. I would think since less people apply for Audiology that they would make decisions faster. I suppose I am wrong.

I applied to UNT too! I just sent my app last week so of course havent heard anything yet.

I heard from my first school saturday! I got into Rush University in Chicago. That means we should start hearing more from other schools soon!

I heard from my first school saturday! I got into Rush University in Chicago. That means we should start hearing more from other schools soon!

Congrats!

How was the Kent State open house?

Thanks!!

Um I have mixed feelings about it. Here at Ohio University we have an AWESOME facility and I found the facilities in akron and kent lacking the "niceness" that we have here. The cleveland clinic is awesome.... and would be a great place to extern. However, they only accept 7, 4th years to extern there. And out of 20 the odds aren't that great. They made it unclear about clinic though and I wasn't sure if clinic would be held there or at akron.

The good things about it were: Cleveland Clinic, faculty= (really nice), and i've heard they give a lot of funding. They had 65 people apply and are accepting 20.

The bad things: Kent's facility- its not awful but I just feel like i'd like something nicer. , and i'm just a big city kind of gal... kent and akron weren't my thing.

It really made me rethink my top choices but i'm so glad I went.

It is impossible to work and go to school full time. Apply for an assistantship within your program. You'll receive a tuition stipend as well as get paid for doing some work within the department. Although mine doesn't cover all of my tuition, my financial aid (Stafford loans) covered the rest. I go to a state school, as well.

Thanks!!

Um I have mixed feelings about it. Here at Ohio University we have an AWESOME facility and I found the facilities in akron and kent lacking the "niceness" that we have here. The cleveland clinic is awesome.... and would be a great place to extern. However, they only accept 7, 4th years to extern there. And out of 20 the odds aren't that great. They made it unclear about clinic though and I wasn't sure if clinic would be held there or at akron.

The good things about it were: Cleveland Clinic, faculty= (really nice), and i've heard they give a lot of funding. They had 65 people apply and are accepting 20.

The bad things: Kent's facility- its not awful but I just feel like i'd like something nicer. , and i'm just a big city kind of gal... kent and akron weren't my thing.

It really made me rethink my top choices but i'm so glad I went.

Thanks, good info to know!

No problem, I think it's just one of those things you should check out yourself. I hate it when people talk about how "bad" a program is when others really want to go there. I think it is a great program, there were just certain aspects that didn't fit for me

How many people here are applying to Vanderbilt? Given their ranking, I would have assumed that it would be a more popular choice. Anyways, I got into Purdue, so I am really excited.

I didn't apply, mainly because I just didn't feel like moving that far away and I figure i should get a good education wherever I go. Congratulations on getting into purdue, that's awesome! My roommate just got in there for speech pathology. She was so excited! I was going to apply there but last minute decided to apply to Rush.

wow, now I am worried after reading all these posts. I'm applying for Fall 09, im graduating with a degree in speech and hearing sciences. Haven't taken my GREs yet, my major gpa is pretty low at 3.4 but i will be getting good recommendation letters from Ph.D holding professors. I spoke with the someone from Syracuse at the ASHA convention and he told me that, a not so great recommendation letter from a Ph.D looks better than an ok letter from an instructor that only has a masters. I guess all my hope is riding on those letters and getting a good GRE score, cause seems like my gpa isn't worth a darn. Hopefully the research I am assisting in will help as well. Anyone have any pointers for the GRE? Are there any other males out there besides me?

Don't worry. I had a GPA of a 3.45 and i got an 1100 on my GRE. I got accepted into two schools so far and waitlisted in another. I"m still waiting on a few but I know i'm accepted somewhere. I would def. refresh your math skills for the GRE

People tend to overesitmate the importance of numbers in applying to Audiology programs. We have to remember that this is not law school. The essay actually matters here. I am 4 for 4 with a 1200 gre and a 3.226 gpa, because of a very well crafted personal statement. Not to mention, I am a German major. The goal is to emotionally attach the reader in the beginning, explain qualifications in the middle, and then give some kind of motivational section at the end, which causes the reader to want to act on your behalf. As for recs, my undergraduate school happens to have a graduate AuD program, so I was able to take a couple AuD classes as an undergrad. These are good rec choices. One of my rec writers was actually on the admissions commitee. This is undoubtedly helpful. In the end, do not freak about numbers. If you are able to hit the averages for the given program, you writing will push you over.

well thats somewhat of a relief. now back to stressing over the GRE, lol

I am still waiting on my letter. Have any of you received your letters? If so were you accepted? How about funding?
Thanks!:confused:

xxx

Last edited:
Ummm I got into Rush University in Chicago, University of Cincinnati, and I got waitlisted at Ohio University (my undergrad)

Im still waiting on Ohio State, and The Northeast Consortium

As for funding, Cincinnati= no funding and I wont know about Rush until April.

I talked to the financial aid guy at rush and he told me with living and tuition it was going to be about 43-45,000 a year. I wanted to cry.... multiply that by four and thats a pretty big amount of loans i'm gonna be in debt when i get out. I really wanted to go there but without any financial help its not happening.

I am still waiting on my letter. Have any of you received your letters? If so were you accepted? How about funding?
Thanks!:confused:

I just got a call from James Madison today and got accepted with an offer of a GA which should pay for most of my first year. I'm still waiting on my first choice (UNC-Chapel Hill), which should give me a decision by this Saturday. I'm so nervous about it...anyone know how difficult it is to get into UNC/typical qualifications of an accepted student there?

A question for current/ newly admitted Audiology students ...

Did you do campus visits during your application process? How many programs (on average) did you apply to? Was a mentor involved during this process?

I've tossed around the idea of getting an admissions consultant (just thinking) to assist with the application process. (The angel/devil on my shoulder says, "you've either got the goods or don't!") Has anyone else done this before? Were they helpful?

Thanks for your input..

I'm still waiting on my first choice (UNC-Chapel Hill), which should give me a decision by this Saturday. I'm so nervous about it...anyone know how difficult it is to get into UNC/typical qualifications of an accepted student there?

Have you heard a response from UNC? Best of luck to you *crossing my fingers* It is pretty hard & competitive to get into the program....

Have you heard a response from UNC? Best of luck to you *crossing my fingers* It is pretty hard & competitive to get into the program....

gah! the letter hasn't come yet. they sent it expedited service on thursday, but it may have been a private carrier (which don't do weekend deliveries) so I'll probably get it today. Otherwise I'm calling the office to get a new one sent. I'll hopefully know by the end of the day. :X *crosses fingers*

gah! the letter hasn't come yet. they sent it expedited service on thursday, but it may have been a private carrier (which don't do weekend deliveries) so I'll probably get it today. Otherwise I'm calling the office to get a new one sent. I'll hopefully know by the end of the day. :X *crosses fingers*

Letter came and got waitlisted (boo). They take people from the waitlist every year though so I still might have a shot.

Hello All!

I did my undergrad at Vanderbilt and thought I was a shoo-in for a spot there, but I was sadly mistaken. So I gathered up my pride worked on my GRE and statement of purpose and reapplied this year to Vanderbilt and a few others.

I applied to 9 schools for the 08'-09' class.
(1) Vanderbilt
University of Tennessee
East Tennessee State University
James Madison University
(13) Gallaudet University
(22) University of Connecticut
Northern Colorado
(3) University of Washington
(4) Northwestern University

()= rankings, but I know that rankings don't always indicate everything

So far I have gotten into: UTK, ETSU, UConn, Gallaudet
I've been waitlisted at: Northwestern, University of Washington, James Madison
I was declined AGAIN at: Vanderbilt
and I haven't heard from Northern Colorado

There is no way that I could visit all these places, but I still want to make the best decision. Has anyone visited any of these places? If so can you share some info about the facilities, etc.? I really want to find out more info about some of my out of state school before I decide.

I've been to East TN, and UTk and obviously Vanderbilt's facilities and I'd be happy to share my experiences if anyone wants to hear about it.

Any help/info any could share would be awesome!
Thanks!

Hello All!

I did my undergrad at Vanderbilt and thought I was a shoo-in for a spot there, but I was sadly mistaken. So I gathered up my pride worked on my GRE and statement of purpose and reapplied this year to Vanderbilt and a few others.

I applied to 9 schools for the 08'-09' class.
(1) Vanderbilt
University of Tennessee
East Tennessee State University
James Madison University
(13) Gallaudet University
(22) University of Connecticut
Northern Colorado
(3) University of Washington
(4) Northwestern University

()= rankings, but I know that rankings don't always indicate everything

So far I have gotten into: UTK, ETSU, UConn, Gallaudet
I've been waitlisted at: Northwestern, University of Washington, James Madison
I was declined AGAIN at: Vanderbilt
and I haven't heard from Northern Colorado

There is no way that I could visit all these places, but I still want to make the best decision. Has anyone visited any of these places? If so can you share some info about the facilities, etc.? I really want to find out more info about some of my out of state school before I decide.

I've been to East TN, and UTk and obviously Vanderbilt's facilities and I'd be happy to share my experiences if anyone wants to hear about it.

Any help/info any could share would be awesome!
Thanks!

I visited James Madison last week for an interview.

Pluses:
The faculty there are really laid back and friendly and come from a variety of academic backgrounds (not just audiology). The campus itself is set in the middle of a very pretty valley (shenandoah). They conduct research on hearing using quail, chickens, and some songbirds so they have an aviary room.

Drawbacks:
The cirriculum there is rather rigid (you have no elective options-it's all set in stone so if you wanted to focus on a particular part of audiology you won't have the option). You also have very little flexibility when it comes to your 4th year externship (they highly discourage picking your own site and prefer to send you through a rotation of three sites in VA). These might be pluses for some people, but I want the option to be able to travel a little bit during grad school.

P.S. I also haven't heard a peep from Northern Colorado.

A question for current/ newly admitted Audiology students ...

Did you do campus visits during your application process? How many programs (on average) did you apply to? Was a mentor involved during this process?

I've tossed around the idea of getting an admissions consultant (just thinking) to assist with the application process. (The angel/devil on my shoulder says, "you've either got the goods or don't!") Has anyone else done this before? Were they helpful?

Thanks for your input..

Last edited:
People tend to overesitmate the importance of numbers in applying to Audiology programs. We have to remember that this is not law school. The essay actually matters here. I am 4 for 4 with a 1200 gre and a 3.226 gpa, because of a very well crafted personal statement. Not to mention, I am a German major. The goal is to emotionally attach the reader in the beginning, explain qualifications in the middle, and then give some kind of motivational section at the end, which causes the reader to want to act on your behalf. As for recs, my undergraduate school happens to have a graduate AuD program, so I was able to take a couple AuD classes as an undergrad. These are good rec choices. One of my rec writers was actually on the admissions commitee. This is undoubtedly helpful. In the end, do not freak about numbers. If you are able to hit the averages for the given program, you writing will push you over.

Last edited:
i'm guessing from your username you're a male, don't underestimate that.

are you implying, that because he is a male that is why he got in? i don't want to be accepted into a program based on affirmative action :thumbdown:

Hi! I applied to UTK too, but I didn't get in. Would you mind telling me your GRE & GPA? I am trying to figure out why I didn't get in. Congrats!

Actually I would consider myself average to blow average in terms of numbers. My GPA was 3.5 and my GRE (don't laugh) was 1080. I think that my Essay was my strong point. I had it edited by a couple of professors including one AuD from my undergrad and one PhD Northwestern.

I visited James Madison last week for an interview.

Pluses:
The faculty there are really laid back and friendly and come from a variety of academic backgrounds (not just audiology). The campus itself is set in the middle of a very pretty valley (shenandoah). They conduct research on hearing using quail, chickens, and some songbirds so they have an aviary room.

Drawbacks:
The cirriculum there is rather rigid (you have no elective options-it's all set in stone so if you wanted to focus on a particular part of audiology you won't have the option). You also have very little flexibility when it comes to your 4th year externship (they highly discourage picking your own site and prefer to send you through a rotation of three sites in VA). These might be pluses for some people, but I want the option to be able to travel a little bit during grad school.

P.S. I also haven't heard a peep from Northern Colorado.

East TN State has the same 4th year philosophy, which I am not partial to. Hey would you mind letting me know when you hear from Northern Colorado? I'm hoping for the best with them, but this waiting is pretty miserable.

are you implying, that because he is a male that is why he got in? i don't want to be accepted into a program based on affirmative action :thumbdown:

Last edited:
At my undergraduate institution, speech pathology and audiology constitute one department. My major classes have around 80 students total. Of those students 3 or 4 are audiology, the rest are speech pathology. Rarely do you find a male in any undergraduate audiology/speech pathology class. Now, the graduate school accepted 8 Au.D students; 6 male 2 female and the speech department accepted 20 or so females and 1 male...not to mention all of the foreign "exchange" (although I never hear of any American students exchanging to China to study) students accepted. In addition, according to a study by the University of Texas, foreign students have a distinct advantage getting into Audiology programs. According to their data a recommended score of 550 on the TOEFL would put you in the 39th percentile. While English speaking students have to take the GRE and score 500 verbal and 500 quantitative which is the 70th percentile. So, a foreign student has to do about half as well as an American student. With the current emphasis on diversity in universities, should highly qualified applicants be bypassed just for the sake of diversity and or gender? :confused:

I'm a little confused..... Is your argument about non-English international students getting into programs, or admitting under-/ non-qualified students for the sake of diversity??

I'm going to try to address the international student aspect....

As complex as the English language is (and considered one of the hardest languages to learn), we've developed its syntax, semantics, morphology etc., etc fluently and effectively (oral & written) at a young age. The same goes for any native learner of their language.

So what's wrong with learning approx. 50% of English?? It's functional for our society! As the student matriculates, they will pick up the fine details of English. By the end of the program, they'll probably master 70% of English. Academically, they also have to take the same comprehensive exam/thesis/dissertation we take at the end of their program and pass! At that point, no professor will allow 50% of correctly written/oral English.

Maybe this student will be going back to his/her country to practice audiology, in which learning and/ or mastering the English language is not a necessity.

Aside from English, international students need to be competent in other fields (science, math) to be admitted into a program, and they, excuse my English, "blow us (Americans) out the water" re: math & science skills, and sometimes our own English!:laugh:

I look at it this way, students are admitted because a committee felt they were qualified enough to complete an advanced degree. They are admitted b/c they were meant to be there and not b/c of a quota!

It is unfortunate that people are trying to use gender and nationality to perhaps explain away admissions decisions with which they disagree. I would argue that this is not the case. At Vanderbilt, there are 0 male first year AuDs. There are 0 second year AuDs. The first sign of unfair pro-testosterone bias is in the third year, where there are 2 males out of a class of 13! Surely this rampant bias must be stopped. As for international students, during my application process, I spoke with a graduate professor on the phone who expressed the sentiment that it is less likely that an international student would be admitted. This is due to the increased complexity of them joining the program. It is easier for a person to come from Louisiana than London. Though this was not a Vanderbilt professor, I do note that there are no foreign students in Vandy's audiology. Also, there are no admitted foreign students at Vanderbilt, U of Memphis, University of Tennessee-Knoxvile, or Purdue, that I am aware of. I was admitted to all those programs and have asked about the other admitted students. Perhaps my sample size is too small. Perhaps the male-female ratio of every program I have ever looked at is also an outlier, because they are all overwhelmingly female. What is more likely, however, is that the few males attempting to go into the field have a very specific, definable reason for doing so. This is more conducive to the writing process than a more generic desire to help people. Just as males in nursing can often recount a specific moment in time where they set there mind to joining a female dominated field, to perhaps a lesser extent, the same is true of males in Audiology. All of this is to say that we should not blame a bias towards others for our rejections. Instead, we should admit to ourselves that we will not always win. That is fine.

I am going to visit U of Memphis next week if anyone would like any information about the program. I also have tons of information about Vanderbilt, as I have already taken some grad classes.