jerseygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Hey everyone,

seems like every allied health profession has been mentioned except for audiology. If you are an audiology student, please post your school, program (aud/phd) and year. I myself have applied for next fall.

Thanks!!

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hey Jersey Girl

I think I'm the only audiology student besides yourself on this board. Where'd you apply to for next year. I'm a first year AuD student at Wichita State University in Wichita, KS. I seriously considering pursuing my PhD immediately after graduation (my program doesnt offer combined AuD/PhD). If you have any questions lemme know.

OP
J

jerseygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Hi Chicoborja,
thanks for your reply. i've applied to towson, maryland, and penn college of optometry, heard anything about any of them?

how much is your tuition per year?

how do you like your program so far? is it structured for communication sci majors or science (bio) majors?

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
jerseygrl said:
Hi Chicoborja,
thanks for your reply. i've applied to towson, maryland, and penn college of optometry, heard anything about any of them?

how do you like your program so far? is it structured for communication sci majors or science (bio) majors?
I think you'd prob get a really good medically/biologically oriented education at PCO and it would be a cool environment to interact with the OD students.....On the down side, I think tuition would be really expensive which may far outweigh the benefits of goin there when there are plenty of other good schools.....U of Maryland would be great if you're into research and Towson I'm sure is pretty good....I'd prob just go to your local state school in order to get in-state tuition unless there's some exceptional reason to go elsewhere....I think tuition might be like 5000 a year...remember exactly though (i'm in-state for tuition)

My program is definitely a smaller one and in its first year....I would prob have chosen a well-established, larger program such as U of Florida, CMU, or Vanderbilt if money wasn't an issue.

My program is geared toward the Comm Disorders majors....very few are geared towards Biology majors

However, two of the audiology faculty were trained as physicans in their native countries which adds an interesting perspective

what other thoughts do u have on this?

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
jerseygrl said:
Hi Chicoborja,

I think you'd prob get a really good medically/biologically oriented education at PCO and it would be a cool environment to interact with the OD students.....On the down side, I think tuition would be really expensive which may far outweigh the benefits of goin there when there are plenty of other good schools.....U of Maryland would be great if you're into research and Towson I'm sure is pretty good....I'd prob just go to your local state school in order to get in-state tuition unless there's some exceptional reason to go elsewhere....I think tuition might be like 5000 a year...remember exactly though (i'm in-state for tuition)

My program is definitely a smaller one and in its first year....I would prob have chosen a well-established, larger program such as U of Florida, CMU, or Vanderbilt if money wasn't an issue.

My program is geared toward the Comm Disorders majors....very few are geared towards Biology majors

However, two of the audiology faculty were trained as physicans in their native countries which adds an interesting perspective

what other thoughts do u have on this?

OP
J

jerseygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
You are on the ball with those points. It's a little disenchanting thinking about all the pre-reqs I'd have to taek for maryland and towson, in addition to dissertations, comps, etc. pco may be worth the extra money, but the real question is will the salary as an audiologist make that feasible.

have you seen the salary reports on advance for audiology ( I think?) don't some of them seem too high? especially the six figure quotes.

what have you heard?

also, how many students are in your year in your program?

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
I think the education you recieve at PCO would probably be very good; however, the cost to benefit ratio is way too low. Assuming AuD tuition is the same as their OD tuition, you may be 100 k in debt after graduation. If AuDs made more it may not be a big deal but they do not! Salary figures you see on AFA or Advance can be somewhat inflated. They polled experienced clinicians with distance AuDs or they may have some other ways they have skewed the data but most AuDs will make about 45 to 50 k outta school. You'll see more in private practices if your in a successful practice where you make commission. If you work in a hospital, ENT office, or school then you may never break 60 k. University clinicians arent any better. If you want money, private practice or maybe industry (hearing conservation) is where to look. Are you not a Comm Disorder major? If you are a Biology major, PCO would be an option but also Arizona School of Health Sciences (they're expensive too) and there are some others out there to who no longer require majors in Comm Disorders. I'd go to a good state school over one of these professional schools because even at out of state tuition rates, it'll prob still be less and you may be able to get grad assistantships which allow you to receive in-state rates

If you dont care about where you go and your a biology major, check into Ball State University in Indiana...they have a pre-audiology undergrad major which is essentially just pre-med. They're trying to recruit the natural science students

This all may be for nothing if you're planning on applying to anymore schools for this Fall because i think deadlines have past for most schools.

Including me there are 6 students in my AuD program (we had 1 more last semester but she had to drop out for personal reasons)

Its nice to actually find someone on this board with the same major as me

OP
J

jerseygrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
my undergrad was in bio and psych, I just wish more programs around me were set up for that.

yea your probably right about the ratio- i just wonder if its worth it not having to deal wtih dissertations and comprehensive exams.

is your program 3 yrs of classes + 1 y of internship?

what has been the best/ worst things you've encountered in your program?

also what type of setting do you want to work in when you are done?

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
jerseygrl said:
my undergrad was in bio and psych, I just wish more programs around me were set up for that.

yea your probably right about the ratio- i just wonder if its worth it not having to deal wtih dissertations and comprehensive exams.

is your program 3 yrs of classes + 1 y of internship?

what has been the best/ worst things you've encountered in your program?

also what type of setting do you want to work in when you are done?

I think with a combined bio/psych major you'd prob have an advantage or most comm disorders students entering an AuD program; however, you may be slightly disadvantaged in the areas of language/speech development/disorders and phonetics. Most programs for AuD are geared with this in mind and at first some of the science may seem slightly remedial to you; however, if you read the course texts (e.g. Handbook of Clinical Audiology) you'll definitely still gain a whole lot. I think for your situation PCO would provide you with the best education however it's very hard for me to justify the cost. Since you are a bio/psych major, how in the world did you decide on audiology over optometry, medicine, dentistry, etc?

Yes, my program is 3+1 as are most programs. There are 3 exceptions to this which are Northwestern U, Indiana U, and U of Washington. These programs are more like 2+1. They are excellent programs but receive much criticism because of the 3 year model they use.

The best things I've encountered have been the small amount of students within the program, the low student to faculty ratio, and......hmmm there are several things that i'm not sure whether or not they are positive or negative.

The fact that the program is small could go either way. Often, I think I would prefer to be in a larger program with more faculty and students. I think it is important to pick a school with a large metropolitan area which allows for a more diverse range of clinical sites. The coursework at times seems too easy and at other times seems just right. I do most of my assigned readings but also am generally lazy and busy. I wonder if I would have put my abilities to better use had I chosen another route (i.e. optometry school, PhD program in sensory psychology). I'd imagine othere programs would also be harder which is a good thing. PCO, I imagine, because many of the core courses are taken with OD students. U of Iowa because it's pretty much one of the top schools for AuD in the country. Vanderbilt, CMU, U of FL, U of Texas Dallas, etc.

As far as comps, I wouldnt worry about them too much and I dont know that they'd even be as hard as PhD comps. For an AuD, a disseration (as in PhD) is not required. Most programs require a doctoral essay or capstone project. Essentially these are equivalent to a master's thesis but even this doctoral projects often dont have to be original research. For example, a given program might also accept an extensive literature review of a given topic instead of new research. At this point, I'm not concerned about my program being too difficult. It is worth mentioning that with AuD programs there is a great deal of variety from program to program unlike with OD or other professional programs. The # of electives, length, captone requirements, specific coursework all may vary.

When I finish, I want to work in a medical setting but I'll take what I can get in order to stay local. I also would like to possibly pursue a PhD to work in academia. I'm still unsure but I find that I'm interested much more in electrophysiologic diagnostics than I am in rehabilitation and hearing aids.

audiogirl

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
Hello jersey girl and Chico
Me too an aspiring AuD person
lets keep the discussion flowing
here is my story
Completed MA- Comm Diss ( 2004)
Applied to 9 Uni for AuD and AuD/PhD ( wherever available)
Results;
Admitted in all 9 Uni's.
Purdue- Admit- No funding
U Wash- Admit- No funding
Indiana- Admit- Full funding with 10 hr TA
U memphis- Admit- 50% tuitio waiver + 10 TA
Ohio uni- Full funding+ 8 hrs TA
UF- Admit- admit -waiting for funding expect 50% tuitonwaiver+ 10-15RA
vanderbilt- 50% tuition waiver + expecting Training Grant to cover rest
UT dallas- ADmit for AuD/phd - full funding.
U Conn- Admit- Waiting for funding

Guys now i am in a dilema wehre to go!!!!!!!!!
seems like Vandy is the best

any idea Chico , u know a lot
what do you say

keep the talk flowing
Thanks guys i really need your direction

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
audiogirl said:
Hello jersey girl and Chico
Me too an aspiring AuD person
lets keep the discussion flowing
here is my story
Completed MA- Comm Diss ( 2004)
Applied to 9 Uni for AuD and AuD/PhD ( wherever available)
Results;
Admitted in all 9 Uni's.
Purdue- Admit- No funding
U Wash- Admit- No funding
Indiana- Admit- Full funding with 10 hr TA
U memphis- Admit- 50% tuitio waiver + 10 TA
Ohio uni- Full funding+ 8 hrs TA
UF- Admit- admit -waiting for funding expect 50% tuitonwaiver+ 10-15RA
vanderbilt- 50% tuition waiver + expecting Training Grant to cover rest
UT dallas- ADmit for AuD/phd - full funding.
U Conn- Admit- Waiting for funding

Guys now i am in a dilema wehre to go!!!!!!!!!
seems like Vandy is the best

any idea Chico , u know a lot
what do you say

keep the talk flowing
Thanks guys i really need your direction

You got your MA in Comm Disorders? Are you an SLP switchin to audiology? You mentioned that you applied to both AuD and AuD/PhD (where applicable) programs. I think a big decision on which school you go to should take into account whether or not you want to do the PhD part. If you do decide to pick an AuD/PhD program make sure you some of the faculty of similar research interests to your own because students will tend to follow their faculty member's line of research. Also, make sure your PhD mentor is knows what he's doin!!! Just because a faculty member has a professor rank doesnt mean they've published anything lately so check their track record. Many university websites post faculty member's frequent publications. Go where the funding is! I'd say eliminate U of Wash, Purdue, and U of Memphis from your choices. Indiana U is really good if your into speech perception and a variety of other research areas plus their AuD is only 3 years long. Vanderbilt and U Florida are two big names u cant go wrong with. Ohio U isnt a big program but a full tuition waiver is hard to beat! I think I'd pick UT Dallas not only cuz the full funding, the AuD/PhD option, but also cuz of the faculty there. James Jerger is there (nuf said). If you dont know who that is, he's prob the biggest name in audiology today. He studied undered Carhart (founder of audiology) and other big name J. Hall (U of Florida) have studied under him. Also if you're into intraoperative monitoring Aage Moller is there or another big name there is Ross Roeser. He's a big name in peds and diagnostics. They have great PhD programs go combine with the AuD if your into neuroscience, developmental psych, and maybe some other areas.
Hope I could be of help

audiogirl

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
yes my undergrad was in SLP and MA as i said above and now i want to be dualy certified. I have now decided that i am not keen on PhD part so focusing on Aud only
there is some corrrection in the funding data i put out. at UTD full fundng starts in 3rd year when i start PhD the first two years will be in state tuition adn 10hr TA( summer also), now i have boiled down to UF,Vandy and U Memphis
I thought the greats of audiology are in U Memphis.? yes i am in contact with Dr Hall ( UF).hopefully some RA/TA works out. still i am hooked on to vandy but money is the issue , if th grant doesnt come thro i got to drop vandy also.
why did u say drop U memphis and purdue? any thoughts youwant to share?
You are jus very great and have loads of info,
Please keep discussing thanks
Jersey girl whats your thought/?
BTW typically what do you get paid during the CFY?( 4 th year)

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
audiogirl said:
yes my undergrad was in SLP and MA as i said above and now i want to be dualy certified. I have now decided that i am not keen on PhD part so focusing on Aud only
there is some corrrection in the funding data i put out. at UTD full fundng starts in 3rd year when i start PhD the first two years will be in state tuition adn 10hr TA( summer also), now i have boiled down to UF,Vandy and U Memphis
I thought the greats of audiology are in U Memphis.? yes i am in contact with Dr Hall ( UF).hopefully some RA/TA works out. still i am hooked on to vandy but money is the issue , if th grant doesnt come thro i got to drop vandy also.
why did u say drop U memphis and purdue? any thoughts youwant to share?
You are jus very great and have loads of info,
Please keep discussing thanks
Jersey girl whats your thought/?
BTW typically what do you get paid during the CFY?( 4 th year)
I said drop Purdue because I thought you said they werent providing any funding. U of Memphis has Robyn Cox (Cox Contour Test). She's a pretty big name. I think the faculty there is more into hearing aids and speech perception than other areas. I guess my opinion was reflecting my bias towards diagnostics. My personal interests include more electrophysiology and less hearing fitting and rehabilitation. My personal order of those three would be 1) U of F 2) Vanderbilt 3) u of memphis

As far as your 4th year...hehe...thats kinda a grey area. Some places you may get an educational stipend (hehe thats what they have to call it) for as much as 30k; however, you may also get nothing! It's entirely dependent on your placement. The more placement opportunities u have to choose from, the greater the likelihood you'll get a worthwhile placement that also pays well. Additionally, if your flexible in relocating for your placement you'll also have a better shot. One of the reasons why you may not get paid at all is because you dont have a provisional license whereas a CF-A does. Therefore a 4th year cannot bill and a CF-A can even though the 4th year will be better equipped as far as didactic training and very likely equal in clinical training.

audiogirl

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
Decided to join vanderbilt for AuD
full scholarship offered
feel pretty lucky

any comments Chico
thanks

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
audiogirl said:
Decided to join vanderbilt for AuD
full scholarship offered
feel pretty lucky

any comments Chico
thanks
Sounds like you made a good choice and got a great deal with a full ride.
:thumbup:
I just got from the NAFDA and AAA conventions this last week in D.C. If you get the chance you should volunteer for the AAA convention for next year in Minneapolis and sign up for the NAFDA convention. It's not some boring research convention. The hearing aid manufacturers throw parties each night with free food and liquor :D and you can actually learn a few things too. The expo hall has tons exhibitors demoing their products and givin free stuff away....check it out