Any aussie students here considering doing residency in USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there
im a final year med student in Sydney. Just returned from doing my elective in New York. Must say that the training there is a lot more hardcore, but gets done quicker. Also, combined with somewhat better pay in private practice, got me thinking seriously about moving to the US and doing my residency there. Anyone here considering it? Thoughts comments or opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ALTorGT
hi there
im a final year med student in Sydney. Just returned from doing my elective in New York. Must say that the training there is a lot more hardcore, but gets done quicker. Also, combined with somewhat better pay in private practice, got me thinking seriously about moving to the US and doing my residency there. Anyone here considering it? Thoughts comments or opinions?

Hey are you an Australian citizen? If so that should help you make up your mind. As an Australian citizen (without a US greencard/citizenship) you will not exactly be able to get a comfy spot in some upscale hospital. You will be getting a residency in a location that US students didn't want. You will also have a lot of visa hassles b/c you will require an H1B visa or a J1 (which the Australian gov't wont' grant easily) and on top of that you are leaving a very very comfortable lifestyle in australia, and saying goodbye to it without a further struggle. Yes the training in the US is hardcore, but that lasts forever..you will live a more "hardcore" lifestyle with longer hours and you will have to deal with insurance companies and other headaches you wouldn't have had in Australia...not to mention the fact that you will have to write the USMLEs.

If you really want to go there...think about it first and realise what you are giving up.

Going to the US is lingering in the back of my mind. I have no real intention of staying in NZ upon graduation, but will probably move to Australia or Singapore.

Have you done the USMLE?

RSE is right to a point as far as I know (from reading SDN for a couple of years). You will not necessarily lose a spot to any US student, only one that is equal to you or a little to a fair amount worse depending on speciality/place etc.

Unfortunately (and my evidence is based solely upon reading SDN for 2-3 years) there is obvious bias against anyone non-american or non-american trained. Even Kimberly Cox, who went to Flinders medical school, said with enthusiasm (on SDN) that her surgery programme wasn't interviewing any FMGs this year, as if it is a compliment to herself or a measure of the calibre of her programme.

If someone who was trained IN AUSTRALIA thinks with such an attitude, I shudder to guess what an American PD who has never been outside of his/her state thinks.

My view on the matter is this; Why would I put up with being treated as second class applicant, when I am not?

I am still curious as to the prospects of an Australian/NZ/UK trained doctor in obtaining a good academic residency in the US however*, and I am just as curious as to how easy it would be for them to stay in the US.

(Again, from what I have read on SDN, most FMGs on a J1 visa have to return to their country of origin for two years after completing residency - it is possible to get an exemption if you work in an undesirable area).

*Obviously this varies by speciality

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all
points duly noted. but is it really as tough to practice in the states and is it really that much easier in AUS as red shift effect makes it out to be. Sure residency is hard, but isn't private practice more lucrative. And once again, how difficult is to get into a mid tier EM/Gen Surg/IM program for a Aussie citizen Aussie Grad.

thanx all.

Originally posted by ALTorGT
hi all
points duly noted. but is it really as tough to practice in the states and is it really that much easier in AUS as red shift effect makes it out to be. Sure residency is hard, but isn't private practice more lucrative. And once again, how difficult is to get into a mid tier EM/Gen Surg/IM program for a Aussie citizen Aussie Grad.

thanx all.

Yeah it is, esp. for u since you are an Australian citizen. don't let the msgs of ppl on this forum fool u ..they are american citizens...which is a completely different category. getting a visa to practice in america is no joke...look at the canadian forums and all the difficulties we will be having. You do know a lot of places wont' even look at your application b/c you are not an American citizen? It won't be any different for an aussie citizen.

Private practice is "lucrative" but you can read my other arguments in this section regarding that very topic...the US has a lot of pitfalls when it comes to getting the money. Private insurance companies being one of them...and the amount of staff required another.

As much as I dearly love RSE, I think his views on america are a little negative and should be taken with some salt.

Come on people... there MUST be some Australian/NZ/UK graduates who can share their experiences here :)

You might want to do a username search on 'kiwimd'. She was trying to get into a residency in the US sometime in the last year, and if I recall correctly, was finding it troubling even though she was married to an american.

I'm just trying to point out all the negatives...which no one else on the forum seems to be doing.

There's no shortage of positives around here...lol i'm bringing balance to the forum.

Originally posted by Purifyer
Even Kimberly Cox, who went to Flinders medical school, said with enthusiasm (on SDN) that her surgery programme wasn't interviewing any FMGs this year, as if it is a compliment to herself or a measure of the calibre of her programme.

If someone who was trained IN AUSTRALIA thinks with such an attitude, I shudder to guess what an American PD who has never been outside of his/her state thinks.

I am sorry that you misinterpeted my earlier response when I was asked if we were interviewing any FMGs. How one can assume belief system from such an impersonal forum as SDN is beyond me.

Please provide me with evidence of my "ENTHUSIASM" over not interviewing FMGs; I highly doubt it exists.

As I recall I was asked whether or not PSU was open to FMGs. Since I have NOTHING to do with who is or is not invited for interview, not to mention who is ranked highly, I can only comment on what I see as a resident and what I heard. I frankly cannot see how PSU's thoughts on FMGs has anything to do with me - if I were an FMG (presumably we are using the term to refer to non-US citizens, trained abroad) then perhaps you could assume that my purported crowing on the subject of having matched here was some sort of accomplishment. My recollection is that I was simply stating facts - we don't have many IMGs/FMGs here in the Surgery department (although there are many on other departments) and I am here. If that is complementing myself in your definition, then I suppose I am guilty of doing so.

All I want here is someone bright, hardworking and fun to be around - I do not care where they went to medical school (even heaven forbid be they a DO! ;) ) and frankly, as I mentioned here numerous times before most people don't know or care where I went to medical school, but am happy to talk about it should the occassion arise.

Do we have FMGs in our program? Yes, one. Do we have IMGs?Yes,a couple. Did we interview any IMGs this year? Yes a few. Are IMGs preferred over FMGs at PSU? Don't know ( as I stated above, junior residents are not privy to discussions of who is invited to interview and the rank list, although I am free to look at the applications) but I would imagine that, like most programs, the issues of visas do carry some weight. However, a stellar candidate is a stellar candidate regardless of country of origin. Do I discourage IMGs/FMGs from applying here? I don't believe so, but I do feel a sense of responsibility to be frank and state that we get hundreds of applications for 4 spots per year and that we generally interview fewer than 5 IMGs/FMGs a year (out of approximately 125 interviewees each year) and that the chances of being highly ranked are not great. Again, if that seems like I'm complementing myself, then so be it. But I am the FIRST to tell people that a) I applied during a cycle when applications were down for General Surgery b) PSU didn't fill that year in the match c) and for some reason got a spot here. It certainly wasn't my stellar USMLE scores that got me a spot.

Please feel free to shudder over the belief system of American PDs because I KNOW there are some who would never even consider an IMG, let alone an FMG, because of some erroneous beliefs about the quality of their education. It is a simple matter of fact that some programs do crow about their lack of foreign trained residents as some sort of measure of quality. Its all slight of hand trickery to me that means nothing to the quality of a residency program. I have worked first hand with US medical students - some are good and some are not. I WAS not/AM not full of the notion that the US produces better medical students - I only have to look at some of my classmates and some of the medical students here to see that isn't necessarily so. Why you would believe that I also fall into the trap of believing "everything American is best" I haven't the foggiest. Surely my 3+ years here and numerous posts would have convinced you of the contrary. After all, to believe so would be to deny 50% of my heritage.

If it makes you feel any better there were several programs who refused to process my application further either because a) I didn't have my ECFMG certificate before application or b) I wasn't an AMG (or so I suspect). If you so desire I can point you toward programs besides PSU where I was received warmly but that probably would also be assumed to be self-aggrandizing, so I shall not.

I will however respectively ask that you refrain from such inferences when speaking about me and/or my posts. We have not had a conversation about this topic and it appears to me that you have incorrectly jumped to conclusions regarding my feelings about it. Sorry if I came across as curt but it really irks me to read a post in which I am maligned for something I never did or believed.

MD's trained in wealthy, English speaking countries (e.g UK/Aus/NZ), carry very little of the IMG stigma attached to graduates from other countries.

I'm a categorical general surgery intern at a well-regarded university program and one of my classmates is an Australian grad/citizen. I don't know how representative his experience is, but it is certainly possible to match.

The visa issue is quite an important one - the big bucks in US medicine only exist if you can get the quite difficult to obtain permanent work permit (greencard.) You could be left without the right to work in the US or the training to practice in Australia.

Kimberli, I apologise if I offended you as it was not my intention (but in retrospect it would be foolish to presume any other outcome was possible).

The post you mention is not the one I was referring to however. I tried searching for it but came up with nothing (perhaps the thread has been deleted?).

The thread you posted to was regarding the competitiveness of surgery, the first few posters thought it was an easy match, then you posted saying that it's getting more competitive - you didn't interview any IMGs this year - or something to that effect. I don't think you meant to be condescending but you wrote it in such a way that the next few posters were taking a jibe at the fact you too were an IMG.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and I have no intention of making ad hominem attacks, I just thought that a 'snapshot of the American psyche', if you will, would be pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Purifyer...

Thank you for the clarification and again, my apologies if I was a bit curt.

I wish we could find the post in contest because while I still stand by my belief (or experience if you will) that General Surgery is more competitive than it has been the last couple of years and it was true that we hadn't interviewed any IMGs (that changed with the interview of a student studying in Dublin), I TOO would be appalled if I implied/stated that we were a more competitive program because we didn't interview IMGs. I hope I wasn't crowing about it but rather simply stating the facts (or the facts as they existed at the time).

Fact is, I'm here probably largely because of being in the right place at the right time, not because I'm anymore special than anyone else. PSU does prefer AMGs, no question about it and I suppose (though hard to rely on distant memory) I was simply trying to get people to be realistic about their chances.

I get tons of emails from IMGs/FMGs wanting to know how to get into a surgical residency, and PSU in particular. I don't (yet) have much insight into the interview/acceptance procedures around here but still feel it would be unfair to characterize this program as "IMG friendly". Chances are probably better here than elsewhere but probably much worse than other places as an IMG.

At any rate, that was *probably* my intent to point that out and I again apologize if I sounded arrogant (or American! ;) ). Thanks for understanding.

BTW, your snapshot of the American psyche is not far off. Even if I were not guilty of presuming "USA Number 1" etc. there are many who are. And it is not unheard of for IMGs to look down upon FMGs (many of whom have excellent academic and professional careers). Its troublesome to say the least, but it is true that there is a fear of the unknown here - fortunately, greatest at the pre-med level but it can be institutionalized as well.

The FMG stigma that many talk about in the US is mostly attributed to physicians who trained in developing countries. This stigma really doesn't apply to physicians from developed countries. Even doctors from well developed non-English speaking countries like Germany and Switzerland are looked at favorably. There is actually a listing of the top International medical schools by an American academic service. The best schools on the list were in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom and Switzerland. Many of these schools were rated to be as good or superior to the most elite US medical schools. These five countries also happen to have the largest biotech/pharmaceutical industry outside of the US. There is absolutely nothing second class about doctors trained in these countries. In fact I recall a news piece from a major American news agency speaking about the superiority of German Emergency Room physicians to their American counterparts.

Originally posted by JoeNamaMD
The FMG stigma that many talk about in the US is mostly attributed to physicians who trained in developing countries. This stigma really doesn't apply to physicians from developed countries. Even doctors from well developed non-English speaking countries like Germany and Switzerland are looked at favorably. There is actually a listing of the top International medical schools by an American academic service. The best schools on the list were in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom and Switzerland. Many of these schools were rated to be as good or superior to the most elite US medical schools. These five countries also happen to have the largest biotech/pharmaceutical industry outside of the US. There is absolutely nothing second class about doctors trained in these countries. In fact I recall a news piece from a major American news agency speaking about the superiority of German Emergency Room physicians to their American counterparts.

Are you a US doc? Because from having read this forum for a number of months, I can see that that "FMG" stimga is equally directed to those from "western" countries.

Most of the FMG stigma in the US applied to doctors from non-Western countries. I know a number of European educated physicians at a major university research hospital in my area. There is definitely a major gap in technological infrastructure between a medical school in Western Europe versus one in a developing country. Medicine is very technology intensive and technology costs money. So automatically the wealthier countries have an advantage. The thing is as you mentioned in one of your previous postings quality of life can be a serious issue and in Western Europe, Canada, and Australia, quality of life is better than in the US. In fact on a recent trip to Europe, most people I have encountered there have a fairly negative view of life in the US as being more difficult and stressful. Therefore relatively few doctors from these countries come to the US to practice medicine as compared to those from developing countries. The so-called "stigma" on FMGs in the US is overstated because a large number of US doctors are foreign educated and compared to most countries, the US is very IMG friendly. Our neighbor to the North, Canada, has a horrible reputation with regard to its treatment of foreign trained physicians. Many IMGs in Canada cannot get a license to practice medicine, and education programs for IMGs don't have enough spaces. This is occuring when there is a severe shortage of primary care doctors in Canada. In most European countries the door is firmly shut to foreign doctors.