Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any bad standarized test takers out there?

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by UT8305, Jan 5, 2009.

1. UT8305

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey i started this thread for those of you who not good at taking standardized exams in general, i know medical school is going tgo be full of them, but in terms of studying for the mcat, i decided to start this thread for ppl like me who have decent grades (or not) but just get stumped when taking standized tests wheather it be the time contraint, techniques, or if you feel like nomatter how much you've studied it just doesn't seem to pay off...and wel,l as a bad standarized test taker myself, the mcat is the only thing stopping me from getting into medical school so, my main problem is pacing myself and working against the clock which doesn't work well when your a slower reader then most people, i always lose performance and feel like theres never enough time (and yes i know the test is geared towards having only the best test takers finish) but i was wondering if there was anybody out there in the same boat as me and how you guys are dealing with it...

What are your study habits like knowing that your not good at these types of tests?

How did you improve working against the clock if your a slow reader?

If anybody who is interested or have any other questions they'd want to ask others please do, it can only help me and others like us out.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. macbeth89

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am on the same situation you are in-- though I have not taken the MCAT yet. I am planning to take a kaplan course in the summer of 2009 and do tons of practices! MCAT is weighted more heavily than the GPA in many medical schools (whether it's DO or MD) the reason behind that is because anyone can take easy classes and get a high GPA, but not everyone at the same level of problem solving--- and "problem solver" is what medical schools are looking for. Therefore, you gotta work hard on your MCAT, if you have to take it three times, then do it!!!!!

If you took an MCAT course, please let me know how that go for you, if not, are you planning on taking one?

4. DCDocGal

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I also am not the world's best standardized test taker. But, your concerns are multi-part. You should try and figure out what is the biggest hurdle for you. Are you mostly stressed out about taking such a big exam? If so, practicing taking it in many environments will help. Are you most worried about the clock? If this is the case (as it is with me), you're going to need to strike a balance between reading too slow in order to really grasp the concepts of the passage and reading so fast that you really don't grasp anything. It is certainly a challenge to do this. You want to be able to really read the passase slowly so you can get the main points, important subtleties and equations. However, you're going to have to develop a system where you can read quicker, knowing when to glance over certain aspects of a passage that take up too much time (e.g., extraneous examples to help support a point).

Kaplan suggest passage mapping. For me, this wastes too much valuable time so I've abandonded doing it the way they teach. See what works for you and where you can squeeze out extra time. Also, start timing yourself on every little quiz you do, so you're used to there being a constant timer.

Good luck!

5. sa012

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am the same way. No matter how hard I study, it doesn't seem to pay off..anyone have any recent advice?