Any benefit to doing an internship after applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying in June this summer, but I found a great internship that I could do for credits for the Fall 2012 semester. Would there be any benefit to doing this internship? I know there is obviously the personal benefit, but I was wondering if it could in any way help my application. I will most likely do the internship regardless, but I am just curious

Members don't see this ad.

How do you think you stand as an applicant? If you're someone who feels like they're middle-of-the-pack (average GPA, average MCAT, average ECs) then it might be worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you decide to do this or any other position it will benefit you. Fall 2012 encompasses only half of the application cycle, if you get waitlisted or don't get in anywhere it will look good that you are doing something with your time.

It wont look special on your primary application, because it will be an in progress activity with very little hours or time accomplished. Still, if you can find out all the details and add them to the application before submitting, it can better your activites section - and provide a nice piece to update later with other things...When this happened to me, the internship took on new directions through the activity that could have helped my primary - but those only helped as updates and in some cases that update came after I was rejected as lacking this activity stated in the updates...it can not hurt, and is good to do for waiting time before the decisions

At every school I applied to you could update the ad com with any significant experiences. Plus you could always talk about it in the interviews.

Given the information you've provided it's very hard to say. Provide some more details about your situation and you'll probably get some better insight.

I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly but I'm a Junior at a small state school, 4.0GPA, 34R MCAT, Phi Beta Kappa, ECs include 2 clinical experiences I did concurrently for a year, hospital volunteering since last month (I plan on continuing this), tutoring for a semester, research since last summer (I will be continuing this), a community volunteer group I am in (I was trained for this last semester and I am an on-call volunteer), a part-time job, and a summer job I did for 2 summers

It wont look special on your primary application, because it will be an in progress activity with very little hours or time accomplished. Still, if you can find out all the details and add them to the application before submitting, it can better your activites section - and provide a nice piece to update later with other things...When this happened to me, the internship took on new directions through the activity that could have helped my primary - but those only helped as updates and in some cases that update came after I was rejected as lacking this activity stated in the updates...it can not hurt, and is good to do for waiting time before the decisions

I don't even think I would be able to mention it on my primary application, since I won't be starting it until the Fall 2012 semester, and I will be submitting my application in June. Maybe I could talk to them about possibly starting the internship as a volunteer over the summer though.