Any Big jumps between SAT percentile and MCAT percentile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullefect1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there has been dozens of dumb posts asking if there are any correlations between the two, but I don't want to ask about that. Does anyone have any examples of them, or their friends, that have had a big jump from a low SAT score, to a much higher MCAT score?

example: 1100 to a 37, or maybe something like a 950 to a 34.

I am asking this because I recieved an 1110 on my SAT's, but that was with doing absolutely no reading, studying, or anything else to do with doing school work during high school (well maybe just alittle bit to get by), and defenitely no review. I intend on doing much better on the MCAT percentile compared to my SAT's percentile score, because of hard word and dedication, but I am just wondering if anyone else has accomplished something similar to my goal?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't move more than 5 percentiles. The SAT and the MCAT have different subject matter but theyre both multiple choice tests so they do correlate somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Kaplan trainer once said that the best predictor of your performance on the MCAT is the SAT Math section. Go figure, I would've thought SAT Verbal was the best. My own SAT and MCAT performance was highly correlated.

You got to be kidding on SAT score (1100->37).

I got 1400 when I took my SAT a while back (getting me into Ivy league school and others). I got 1300 on GRE general test two years ago without studying at all. Right now, I would be very happy with 30 (that's after six months of intense study). Even that I am not sure I can do it. Plus, SAT, GRE subject (English math) and MCAT (English, Physics, Biology, inorganic and organic chemistry) are not exactly matching.

Just personally feeling. I think MCAT is toughest test of all. Everybody who is planning to take MCAT finish organic chemistry with at least B average (one of most difficult courses in the college) and think they got good shoot of making it (i.e. >3.5 GPA). I would think MCAT takers are probably best and brightest of students. And in order to get 30, you need to beat at least of 80% of that group. In order to get 37, you need to beat 99% of the people.

It is not impossible. But it is definitely not easy at all to get a good MCAT score.

Originally posted by eklope2000
1200 first SAT score, below average scores on various SAT II's

40 MCAT

Did you not study for the SAT and then study for the MCAT? Or did you do the same thing for both? I would guess that it's the former, since I've never heard of someone doing so well without any mcat specific prep.

Originally posted by eklope2000
1200 first SAT score, below average scores on various SAT II's

40 MCAT

Thats amazing. Any one else have anything similar, maybe not as good of an improvement, because that was an incredable jump.

Hey MrTee, did you not really try to hard in high school, and then worked your ass off in college?

I would say that don't worry too much other people. Try your best and let's see what happen. When I was in college (an elite school), I know quite a few classmates who goof off a lot and still get straight A. Here was I who studied a lot and still make worse grade then they did. That's life. What can I say.

However, if you don't try, you will never find out how good you are.

Originally posted by fullefect1
Thats amazing. Any one else have anything similar, maybe not as good of an improvement, because that was an incredable jump.

Hey MrTee, did you not really try to hard in high school, and then worked your ass off in college?

I think your question was the same as mine, but was addressed to me rather than eklope (the person w/ a 1200 and 40). I had a 1410 and 37.

well i guess i went the opposite way:

SAT - 1410 - no studying.
MCAT - 29 - studied a lot.

in the end it didn't matter though. i still got into one of my top choice med schools.

Originally posted by MrTee
I think your question was the same as mine, but was addressed to me rather than eklope (the person w/ a 1200 and 40). I had a 1410 and 37.

Sorry, ya I put the wrong member name, thanks for responding anways. But eklope2000 do you have a response for that one?

Originally posted by fullefect1
Sorry, ya I put the wrong member name, thanks for responding anways. But eklope2000 do you have a response for that one?

"did you not really try to hard in high school, and then worked your ass off in college"

Yes...

SAT--no studying for the test, poor high school performance, read very little, had been out of math for a couple of years before taking the test, unfamiliar with test format.

MCAT--2 summer months of full-time study for test after 2 years of working very hard in college.

I took the SAT a second time late my senior year of high school with about two weeks of not-so-intense studying (relative to the effort I put in these days) and got 1490 (800 math)... so I suppose this score is more congruent with the 40 (phys sci 15). The point is that people can severely limit themselves by being lazy. My SAT score was received too late for it to count in any college admissions, so I promised myself I'd be more responsible the next time around.

By the way verbal on the second SAT was a 690... My verbal on the MCAT was an 11, both cases my weakest sections.

Originally posted by jxu66
Just personally feeling. I think MCAT is toughest test of all. Everybody who is planning to take MCAT finish organic chemistry with at least B average (one of most difficult courses in the college) and think they got good shoot of making it (i.e. >3.5 GPA). I would think MCAT takers are probably best and brightest of students. And in order to get 30, you need to beat at least of 80% of that group. In order to get 37, you need to beat 99% of the people.

Hmmm...I think those stats may be a little high. I'd say the average pre-med taking the MCAT probably has at least a B- average in o-chem, and a 3.0+ GPA. It's still early, so some might be able to pull the GPAs up, and others may be taking the MCAT "just to see what happens," not necessarily because they believe they're destined to become physicians.

Still, you make a good point.