Any biology majors out there?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by agent, Dec 2, 2002.

1. agent

agent agent, RN

Hi everyone!

Some of you know my story. I'm the 25 year old student-computer tech-father that is going to school at night and drudging along in the med school pursuit.

Originally my wife was very anti-supportive and now we've come to a compromise that if I pursue a bio degree I can do it. Or at least she says we'll take things one step at a time.

Now I know, bio majors are many and I originally wanted to get a psych degree for this reason, to set myself apart, but I will be a bio major and hopefully other things on my app will make me glow.

So my question is, are there any other bio majors out there?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. williestyle81

williestyle81 Senior Member

I'm a BIO major and am very proud:D
    but I also have a minor in African-American studies:)

-EMW

4. dara678

dara678 Hello Kitty Fan

just because you're a bio major doesn't mean you're at a disadvantage. if you like psych, why don't you do a double major?

i'm bio and english double major. :)

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

if you pursue a bio degree u can do it? that makes alot of sense! :confused:

6. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

there are TONS of biology majors.
    I'm biochem - there's a good number of us too.
    if I were you I'd try and take a decent number of math classes - or classes that are in some other sense quantitative (statistics.. )that'll help set you apart from the boilerplate biology majors...

7. agent

agent agent, RN

I failed to explain why. Sorry Blitz.

She wants me to minor in secondary education so that I can teach Bio in HS if i fail to get into med school.

8. HoMuffin

HoMuffin Procrastination Queen

I'm not sure I understand your logic in picking a bio major but...

I'm a bio major too , and I agree with what's been said so far. Pick up a second major or a minor in an area of interest- I have a minor in Anthropology. Also, your ECs can help you stand out in a crowd! Good luck to you!:)

9. agent

agent agent, RN

Yeah Dark Child, I'm currently taking statistics and next semester pre-calc.

I so hate math though.. ;)

10. Horseradish99

Horseradish99 Old World Primate

I started out my undergrad for 2 and a half years as a chemistry major. It was interesting and I was enjoying it until I got to my junior year and realized that I could no longer take anymore biology courses because they wouldn't fit into my schedule since I had to take my requirements for the chem major (physical chem, analytical chem, inorganic, etc).

I made the switch to Biology because I loved all the biology courses I took, and genetics, immunology, and developmental biology were all courses that sounded a lot more interesting to me than analytical chemistry. It doesn't look bad to be a Biology major... but you should really only be one if that's what interests you!

Nobody will have a problem with you being a Biology major as long as you choose it because you WANT to study Biology as a focus.

:)

11. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a second-year biology major. If you really want to major in bio, you should go for it! :)

12. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    I'm graduating in three weeks with a degree in Biology. :D

I was Bio-General, without any special concentrations or distinctions or honors. I'm not sure if there was anything among my coursework that made me stand out, and the classes I've taken have never really come up in interviews - it hasn't seemed to hurt me so far. ;)

I'm not sure if you were looking for advice or not, but when has that ever stopped me? :rolleyes: I think people tend to be more successful if they're doing/studying something they like and/or are interested in. If you like bio, then go for it - most premeds are bio, and you might have the option of taking required courses that will help you on the MCAT or at med school. I'm sure your wife is just looking out for your future and the future of your family, but don't major in something you're not interested in. From what I know of you, you seem very dedicated to becoming a physician, so hopefully you won't have to worry about a back-up carreer.

Do what you think will make you, and consequentally your family, happiest. :)

13. Teach

Teach Member

I got my biology degree in 1997 and completed a combination master's/teaching credential in 1998. I have been teaching for the last 5 years. Teaching has been a great experience, but it also made me completely understand how important it was to me to become a physician. I carefully planned out exactly what I would have to do (ie MCATs, volunteer, etc). And now at 28 years old, as an old bio major and public school teacher I have been accepted to the entering class of 2003(so far, EVMS). But if medicine is truly your goal, you may not be happy as a high school teacher. I know I wasn't. There I was encouraging my students to work hard and fulfill their dreams - when I was not doing the same thing. Good luck and make sure as a bio major you do something to set yourself apart (independent study research, interships, lots of chemistry - something).

14. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector

You can't teach high school bio if you major is something else? I thought all you need to teach high school is your teaching credential?

15. Teach

Teach Member

A secondary education teaching credential must be in a specific subject (ie biology, english, chemistry, etc). This means you must have a certain number of credits in that subject as a part of your degree. It doesn't mean your degree must be in that subject - my teaching credential is in biology and general science (7-12).

Due to a huge demand for teachers, many school districts will hire you without a teaching credential. This means that you must have a bachelor's in "something" relevant to what you will be teaching. I work in CA and my school has had to hire 2 new teachers since the beginning of the school year (there are only about 28 teachers at the whole school). Turnover is huge at some school - for lots of different reasons.

Depending on the state you receive your credential in - you will have to take a competency test in your subject (this is for secondary only - I don't know anything about elementary). Some states, the test is insanely easy - others not so easy. Many school districts will give you years to complete your credential once you have been hired. The only drawback is if an already credential teacher wants your job - your out.

Teaching can be a great career and can provide you with needed experience to discover things you didn't know about yourself.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. agent

agent agent, RN

In illinois, I believe you need the major in bio and certification.

I just choose to minor in secondary ed since that will take care of the certification and will look decent as well. I'm hoping to use that minor towards working the med school angle.