Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just wanted to say hello to all the proud Black females in the house.

Members don't see this ad.

why do i have red when everyone's else is blue?

pathdr2b said:
Anybody have any good news to share? I found out a few minutes ago that my work/name was recently added to another NIH abstract for presentation at a National Meeting. This is number 3 for me so now let's hope we get some pubs out of the deal too! :D

Anyone else?

Path how can i be like u when i grow up :D

Members don't see this ad :)
pathdr2b said:
I'm trying to figure out if this is a compliment or not :confused: :laugh:

About the braids, I sometimes where my hair braided too, but I never wear it that way for interviews. I figure I'll have plenty of time to be myself AFTER I get my foot in the door!

:confused:

is there a problem with sporting braids? I have been wearing them for a couple of years, and i find them to be quite appealing :oops: ..Personally speaking, I would like to keep them in, but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has heard anything negative about AA female having braids in their hair during interviews..
any thoughts???

thanks everyone for the support!

as for braids. . .i think on a man and a woman they are a different story. and depends how big they are, etc.
on women, microextension braids can sometimes look more like 'their' hair than wearing your own hair unbraided, depending on your hair type and texture . . .so i think sometimes they actually give more of the stereotypical 'professional' image rather than less.

but i hate that we feel like we have to worry about our hair type to look professional. a girl at my med school wore a big natural for the first few months, that was so nice to see!!!

docjolly said:
:confused:
is there a problem with sporting braids

Many places find brainds to be too "ethnic" and medicine is traditionally a conservative environment. But I'm like you , I love braids too and have been wearing them off and on before they became "popular".

pathdr2b said:
Many places find brainds to be too "ethnic" and medicine is traditionally a conservative environment. But I'm like you , I love braids too and have been wearing them off and on before they became "popular".

:mad:

I have a problem with this, but what can I do? Nevertheless, I will keep my braids :D They are a significant part of my personal and cultural identity, and I'm not going to take them out so that adcoms will think better of me..Besides, how do my braids interfere with the ideals of a "conservative environment?"
Aaarrgghh!

(P.S. pathdr2b, I'm not directing my comments towards you, but just to adcoms and their ideas about what my hair should/should not look like)..

Just checking in to say what's up to all of us beautiful black sistas. We can't be stopped!

I always get cornrows in my air. I love braids. I especially love the cherokee sun style. i wouldn't give up my hair styles for anything. i would never want to conform. i love looking different and I definitely don't like blending in. Your posts are inspiring people! Keep em coming. I am noticing as I get into my upper classes at my college there are few if any black students, especially in premed. It is nice to hear about your experiences and perspectives!

docjolly said:
I have a problem with this, but what can I do? Nevertheless, I will keep my braids

I don't "like" it either but in life I think you have to pick your "battles" in life.

Speaking of braids, I remember when I first went to college in the early 80's I started wearing them with the beads on the ends. I can't tell you how many times people called me "Peaches" from the duo Peaches and Herb and trust me braids we NOT in style then! :laugh:

Wait a minute, do any of you even REMEMBER Peaches and Herb? :confused: :laugh:

Never heard of Peaches and Herb. I think just plain microbraids are cool. have you ever heard of getting hair sewn in? It looks like your real hair and you can wash it and everything.

mrsmotivation said:
Never heard of Peaches and Herb. I think just plain microbraids are cool. have you ever heard of getting hair sewn in? It looks like your real hair and you can wash it and everything.

Okay, then I MUST be old. :eek: Ask your Mom and Dad about Peaches and Herb. They sang a song called "Reunited". :laugh:

A modern day "version" of the Peaches hair style would be Alicia Keys. I like to wear my hair like hers without the extensions.

well people i wouldnt do a drastic change of ur hair style cause of schl tho...shoot my friend who's graduating from Hopkins has a natural fro that she wears in twists, and that didnt stop her from matchin into Hopkins internal residency med program which is like #1 :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
lotanna said:
well people i wouldnt do a drastic change of ur hair style cause of schl tho...shoot my friend who's graduating from Hopkins has a natural fro that she wears in twists, and that didnt stop her from matchin into Hopkins internal residency med program which is like #1 :thumbup:

And ANY style can be made to look professional and beautiful :thumbup: But common now, someone with bright burgandy braids down to the butt may look a little out of place or I'm just old and old fashioned? Ya'll go head' when your individuality!!! :clap:

pathdr2b said:
And ANY style can be made to look professional and beautiful :thumbup: But common now, someone with bright burgandy braids down to the butt may look a little out of place or I'm just old and old fashioned? Ya'll go head' when your individuality!!! :clap:

well true :laugh:

I meant regular natural hair, color included :p

pathdr2b said:
I don't "like" it either but in life I think you have to pick your "battles" in life.

Speaking of braids, I remember when I first went to college in the early 80's I started wearing them with the beads on the ends. I can't tell you how many times people called me "Peaches" from the duo Peaches and Herb and trust me braids we NOT in style then! :laugh:

Wait a minute, do any of you even REMEMBER Peaches and Herb? :confused: :laugh:

:clap:

Peaches and Herb? Do I remember them? Oh, yes...,,<<beginning to sing, "Reunited and it Feels so Good, Reunited cause we understood..">>

That's a beautiful song :love: I'm only 24, and I know the song! Come on, people :laugh:

pathdr2b said:

I see your point and I agree. I think that whatever hairstyle you have, as long as it is within good taste and it does not draw a lot of negative attention to yourself (ex: when you are walking on the street), then there's no problem. Now, if I had yellow, green, orange, and hot pink braids that included both synthetic and human hair (okay, that's scary :eek:), then I would understand why some adcoms would be apprehensive about accepting me to their school. Hence, I would definitely would "tone down" my look. But my look is FAR more conservative (and tasteful), and I'm disappointed that it might be problematic. Ahhhhh...

((Okay, Where's my Destiny's Child CD? I need to hear the "Independent Women" song :D)

From medical school to weave, this thread is hilarious! But imagine it might be pretty difficult to keep that weave tight in med school. I've seen some local (DC) med students with those "untight" weaves. I think they must be studying too much :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe we should create additional threads:

Do super tight weaves help med students perform or do they impair thinking?

Weaves and Anatomy:The relationship between formalin exposure and loose weaves

Okay enough of that, anyone want to share what their doing this summer especially you pre MS-1's?

pathdr2b said:
From medical school to weave, this thread is hilarious! But imagine it might be pretty difficult to keep that weave tight in med school. I've seen some local (DC) med students with those "untight" weaves. I think they must be studying too much :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe we should create additional threads:

Do super tight weaves help med students perform or do they impair thinking?

Weaves and Anatomy:The relationship between formalin exposure and loose weaves

Okay enough of that, anyone want to share what their doing this summer especially you pre MS-1's?

More like what wont i be doing!
May its a Michigan spa resort, biggest in midwest-i'm excited!, then houston memorial weekend, party all weekend
June its Philly for a med schl graduation party, also maybe ATL for a CDC conference, and chicago to go chill aka party with my girl all weekend
July, its Chicago for 4th of july, Orlando to get a TAN :laugh:, metro DC(VA/MD) at least 2x between June-Aug for pleasure and a wedding.

Plus throw in the Detroit summer festivals/concerts: AFrican-America, Caribbean,African and Jazz ,a nd just tryin to catch up with people, and looks like my plate will be full :thumbup:

I'm just tryin to get my mind right b4 I get thrown into the pen, i mean med schl :rolleyes:

lotanna said:
More like what wont i be doing!
May its a Michigan spa resort, biggest in midwest-i'm excited!, then houston memorial weekend, party all weekend
June its Philly for a med schl graduation party, also maybe ATL for a CDC conference, and chicago to go chill aka party with my girl all weekend
July, its Chicago for 4th of july, Orlando to get a TAN :laugh:, metro DC(VA/MD) at least 2x between June-Aug for pleasure and a wedding.

Plus throw in the Detroit summer festivals/concerts: AFrican-America, Caribbean,African and Jazz ,a nd just tryin to catch up with people, and looks like my plate will be full :thumbup:

I'm just tryin to get my mind right b4 I get thrown into the pen, i mean med schl :rolleyes:

Ohhhh, I'm sooooo jealous!! Have fun but be safe!!!

pathdr2b said:
Ohhhh, I'm sooooo jealous!! Have fun but be safe!!!

Always covered by His warm embrace! God keeps me safe:thumbup:

Anyone else want to share their summer plans? In adition to applying to med school, I'll be writing up an abstract :eek:

wow, congratulations on publishing!!

i am going to be continuing my research, and teaching MCAT classes for princeton review.

also hope to get some vacations in. . .really want to go to southern california, i'm sure it is beautiful in the summer!

A big CONGRATULATIONS to everyone finishing up their degrees the Spring!! :clap: :clap:

lotanna said:

At the same time, you have to remember that some places are a little behind on the times. If you really want to get into med school, is it that big of a deal to conform for one interview and then be who you want to be for the rest of your life??? It's a tough decision....

I have a friend who loves those long tacky ass fake nails (i.e. Shenene from "Martin") I explicitly told her to get rid of that before an interview. I mean, it was too long and too bright. You just can't go to some of these small town med schools sporting that nonsense. After she's in, she can dress as flashy as she wants. Fortunately, she took my advice but realized that those small town Tx med schools aren't for her or her tastes and decided on a school in North Carolina.

ndi_amaka said:
At the same time, you have to remember that some places are a little behind on the times. If you really want to get into med school, is it that big of a deal to conform for one interview and then be who you want to be for the rest of your life??? It's a tough decision....

I have a friend who loves those long tacky ass fake nails (i.e. Shenene from "Martin") I explicitly told her to get rid of that before an interview. I mean, it was too long and too bright. You just can't go to some of these small town med schools sporting that nonsense. After she's in, she can dress as flashy as she wants. Fortunately, she took my advice but realized that those small town Tx med schools aren't for her or her tastes and decided on a school in North Carolina.

You're right. As much as I hate the idea that people still think black natural hair is unprofessional, there are still those who do. Sometimes we have to conform a little to eventually change the minds of those that feel that way. Like I said for my interview, I put my dreds in a bun, wore one pair of earrings, and covered my nose piercing. I even wore a string of pearls!!! Anyway, hopefully on this journey I'll be able to help people change some of their ideas, and realize that professionalism comes from what's inside the head and not what's on the outside. But first you have to get your foot in the door!! Another point is, as much as I love my dreds, I would cut them if I had to (hope i don't have to). They aren't part of my religious beliefs, and I feel I have something to offer medicine that is far more important than the hair on my head.

hokte said:
You're right. As much as I hate the idea that people still think black natural hair is unprofessional, there are still those who do. But first you have to get your foot in the door!! .

I'd imagine that "conservative" hair issues are more prevelant in the South, excluding larger urban cities like Atlanta.

I just wanted to say HI y'all! Nigerian, female pre-med here! I like the conversations going on in here. Concerning the conservative vs personal flair in hair I agree with what's been said so far. I know people who have dreads or natural hair and are in med school. My guess is that they just pulled them back neatly for the interviews and once in they felt free to do as they pleased. Remember it's what you learn once you get in and how you apply it that dictates your success...sadly, in reality we still have those who take one look at someone and start a whole list of assumptions. However, once you open your mouth and share some of your knowledge with them they will hopefully relent and see you as a whole and intelligent person. (Oh the many hoops we have to jump through!)

Keep up the good work with the thread! :)

Drimo said:
I just wanted to say HI y'all! Nigerian, female pre-med here! I like the conversations going on in here. Concerning the conservative vs personal flair in hair I agree with what's been said so far. I know people who have dreads or natural hair and are in med school. My guess is that they just pulled them back neatly for the interviews and once in they felt free to do as they pleased. Remember it's what you learn once you get in and how you apply it that dictates your success...sadly, in reality we still have those who take one look at someone and start a whole list of assumptions. However, once you open your mouth and share some of your knowledge with them they will hopefully relent and see you as a whole and intelligent person. (Oh the many hoops we have to jump through!)

Keep up the good work with the thread! :)

lol yet another Nigerian :eek: Welcome aboard!:D

pathdr2b said:
A big CONGRATULATIONS to everyone finishing up their degrees the Spring!! :clap: :clap:

YUP YUP CONGRATS LADIES!!!! 1 step down, another to go...keep on keepin on!! :clap: :thumbup:

lotanna said:
lol yet another Nigerian :eek: Welcome aboard!:D

guess there's no diversity amongst us, eh? :laugh:

I'm beginning to feel isolated and unloved... :( I'm going to start a new forum: "Any black female premeds out there from the Bahamas or other parts of the Carribean?"

<<shouting with an echo..>> IF..YOU..ARE..OUT..THERE..SHOUT BACK...!!!
:laugh:

Hi everyone,
I've been reading this thread for the past week and would finally like to comment. I am an African American premed, and I have three close Nigerian friends who will be attending med school. lol

Thanks so much for all of your encouragement. It's nice to know that I'm definitely not alone in this process.

You guys almost dropped the ball. I'll bump the thread this time, but you all have to be more careful next time! ;)

can anyone list the contact info. (names, numbers, addresses?) of the Office of Minority Affairs for some of the schools:

U. of Miami
Suny Downstate
Mt. Sinai
Howard
Meharry
Cornell
Michigan State
any other school

I thought I'd get a start on contacting some of the offices to see what they might have to offer...Thank you! :clap:

Spitting Camel said:
You guys almost dropped the ball. I'll bump the thread this time, but you all have to be more careful next time! ;)
:rolleyes:

Thanks, Spitting Camel for thinking of us :laugh:

docjolly said:
guess there's no diversity amongst us, eh? :laugh:

I'm beginning to feel isolated and unloved... :( I'm going to start a new forum: "Any black female premeds out there from the Bahamas or other parts of the Carribean?"

<<shouting with an echo..>> IF..YOU..ARE..OUT..THERE..SHOUT BACK...!!!
:laugh:

Well my close friends are Caribbean and I was part of a Caribbean dance group in college and I went to the Bahamas in January, and was everywhere on a scooter:p and it felt just like home :thumbup: So I can hang with anyone :D

U. of Miami-Dr Astrid Mack--305-243-6791
Suny Downstate
Mt. Sinai-Dr Gary Butts 212-241-6696
Howard
Meharry
Cornell--student affairs-Dr Bruce Ballard 212-746-1067
Michigan State-Dr Wanda Lipscomb, best way to contact is email at [email protected]
any other school

MeMyselfI said:
Hi everyone,
I've been reading this thread for the past week and would finally like to comment. I am an African American premed, and I have three close Nigerian friends who will be attending med school. lol

Thanks so much for all of your encouragement. It's nice to know that I'm definitely not alone in this process.

Welcome aboard lady. Get comfy, sit back and relax alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks available. :p

hokte said:
You're right. As much as I hate the idea that people still think black natural hair is unprofessional, there are still those who do. Sometimes we have to conform a little to eventually change the minds of those that feel that way. Like I said for my interview, I put my dreds in a bun, wore one pair of earrings, and covered my nose piercing. I even wore a string of pearls!!! Anyway, hopefully on this journey I'll be able to help people change some of their ideas, and realize that professionalism comes from what's inside the head and not what's on the outside. But first you have to get your foot in the door!! Another point is, as much as I love my dreds, I would cut them if I had to (hope i don't have to). They aren't part of my religious beliefs, and I feel I have something to offer medicine that is far more important than the hair on my head.

i wear my hair in twists. last year during my interviews, i modified my twists. at the time i was growing out my natural hair and twisting my hair with kinky extensions. at times i would add in burgundy or auburn extensions in with the twists for a different effect. however during the interview season, i got rid of the colored extensions and kept it simple with a natural dark brown color. i actually got compliments on my hair. i will be attending medical school in august at UTMB-Galveston. who else is going to med school in texas or is planning to?

nykka3 said:
i wear my hair in twists. last year during my interviews, i modified my twists. at the time i was growing out my natural hair and twisting my hair with kinky extensions. at times i would add in burgundy or auburn extensions in with the twists for a different effect. however during the interview season, i got rid of the colored extensions and kept it simple with a natural dark brown color. i actually got compliments on my hair. i will be attending medical school in august at UTMB-Galveston. who else is going to med school in texas or is planning to?

UTSW over here

ndi_amaka said:
UTSW over here

congratulations. i really liked interviewing there. maybe i will see you around at any SNMA functions. :)

On the issue of hair, I started locing my hair about 3 months before I started going for interviews. Before that I'd hesitated getting locs coz ppl would tell me they're not professional, and medicine is a conservative field so my hair should be conservative blah blah blah. The lady who started the locs on my hair is a nurse, and she has beautiful locs and she'd told me she gets complimented on them all the time at work. Then one day I was in her salon while she was retwisting this woman's locs, and I was complaining how I've never seen any black female doctors wear locs and this woman spoke up saying " girl, I'm a surgeon, I've had my locs since college and they haven't held me back from anything!" And that did it for me, and I decided to loc.

Having started mine a few months before interviews, my hair was still going through the budding (ugly) stage by the time interviews came around. But having the locs didn't do anything to hurt my professional appearance. I just wet and retwisted them the night before, tied them up so that by morning the where all lying flat and nothing was sticking out. I still got in :thumbup:

Congrats to all those graduating, starting med school in the fall, and best of wishes for those applying this year.!

I'm a Texas applicant for the 2005 entering class. Wish me luck!

Welcome aboard ladies. Goodluck mrsmotivation, maybe the Tx peeps on here could tell u about ur TX process

mrsmotivation said:
I'm a Texas applicant for the 2005 entering class. Wish me luck!

So do you intend to apply to all the Texas schools (I have no idea how it works in Texas).

Also, if it weren't for this little asthma problem I have, I'd certainlt consider UT-Houston since the opportunity to do cancer research at MD Anderson would be too good to pass up!

Good Luck this year!!!!

yeah, I plan to apply to all the Tx schools. I haven't quite decided if I'll apply out of state or not. Good luck to the 2005 applicants.

mrsmotivation said:
yeah, I plan to apply to all the Tx schools. I haven't quite decided if I'll apply out of state or not. Good luck to the 2005 applicants.

Not a female, but make sure you get all your stuff in early for the Texas application. It benefits you in the long run.

Nigerian - Igbo here. Does anyone know what my name means? Take a guess... :laugh:

lotanna said:
Path how can i be like u when i grow up :D

How did I miss this wonderful compliment? Thanks! :D

But really, I'll be calling you "DOCTOR" for many, many, many years before you get to return the favor! :laugh:

Wow this thread is tight! Good Job ladies and gents!

I have a question about medical schools. I wanted to know which medical schools you all thought black females should consider applying to. I went to Xavier website, but noticed that their list of schools for URMs to consider applying to, is restricted to their students. What are you guys' opinion on schools to consider applying to. What are the typical gpa/mcats for those schools if known.

Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.