Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we will all do good. hopefully you wont have to retake trust me its no fun. I took in april and didn't do well so i had to retake this august. i'm not looking forward to opening thx either but we will do great!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT scores are out :) It looks like i may have to retake :(. I'm going to try and finish up my Personal Statement and find some people to read it ASAP.

MCAT scores are out :) It looks like i may have to retake :(. I'm going to try and finish up my Personal Statement and find some people to read it ASAP.

At least if you feel that you need to re-take this exam, you have more options than just April and August. I think you will like taking the exam on computer (like all USMLE Steps the MCAT is now computerized) and not chewing up an entire day doing this exam.

For my podcast #1 (found a the bottom of the SDN main forum page, I visited one of the new MCAT test centers run by Thompson-Prometric and spoke with some of the people who will be working the new centers. The MCAT is going to be administered similiar to USMLE and should be pretty nice. (I know that the new center that I visited was much nicer than the center that I used for USMLE in Fairfax, Virginia). Check out the podcast and see what some of the new MCAT changes involve if you like. With creative planning, you can tailor your test date to when your studying peaks.

Also, if you are planning on hitting that January date, make sure that your application is in so that you can get the center that you want.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I'll be retaking too...:(
It's so sad because the other 3 sections were actually very nice scores, but Verbal... oh man... bane of my existence. My practice verbal scores were never thrilling, but I've never gotten a 7 before. It's going to be a pain to retake, but my verbal score will get me rejected by some of the schools I plan to apply to (like Jefferson). Needless to say, I'm very sad :( :(

I am losing all motivation to study on my own and may need the discipline of a structured MCAT class to help me improve verbal. Anyone ever taken Kaplan, Princeton Review, or Examkrackers prep courses? Any advice on which to choose ?

EDIT: Queenshawtii, are you applying right now? If so, won't a retake be too late for this cycle? (unless some schools accept the Jan exam?)

Thanks for the info njbmd. I decided that i won't retake the MCAT i'll let the chips lie where they may and if i need to reapply another cycle I will.

@Miss i've taken the Kaplan review course i would highly recomend it. I had a similar problem with my verbal score i consistantly got 9's and 10's on it and i got an 8 instead it would have brought my 26 up to a 27 or a 28. Yes I'm applying now but I won't retake the exam, I don't have enough time to study well for it and i don't want to mess around and get the same score or lower.

Yeah, I'll be retaking too...:(
It's so sad because the other 3 sections were actually very nice scores, but Verbal... oh man... bane of my existence. My practice verbal scores were never thrilling, but I've never gotten a 7 before. It's going to be a pain to retake, but my verbal score will get me rejected by some of the schools I plan to apply to (like Jefferson). Needless to say, I'm very sad :( :(

I am losing all motivation to study on my own and may need the discipline of a structured MCAT class to help me improve verbal. Anyone ever taken Kaplan, Princeton Review, or Examkrackers prep courses? Any advice on which to choose ?

EDIT: Queenshawtii, are you applying right now? If so, won't a retake be too late for this cycle? (unless some schools accept the Jan exam?)

Missterious: Taking a review class is a great idea because the verbal score is the one score in which, the review class can make a huge difference. I have reviewed Princeton Review and Kaplan. I think that Princeton Review has Kaplan beat because they acquired Hyperlearning which was one of the best systems for verbal ever devised. I have not seen EK but my advice is to examine the materials from all three and choose the one that best suits your learning style. Also, don't be too turned on or off by the instructors for any of these courses as you should choose the one that best suits how YOU learn materials not how they are presented in a classroom.

Thanks for the info njbmd. I decided that i won't retake the MCAT i'll let the chips lie where they may and if i need to reapply another cycle I will.

@Miss i've taken the Kaplan review course i would highly recomend it. I had a similar problem with my verbal score i consistantly got 9's and 10's on it and i got an 8 instead it would have brought my 26 up to a 27 or a 28. Yes I'm applying now but I won't retake the exam, I don't have enough time to study well for it and i don't want to mess around and get the same score or lower.

Queenshawtii: I think you have made a wise decision not to retake. The worse thing you can do is to keep taking the MCAT and getting lower and lower or a string of mediocre scores (called the deathblow). If you do not have time to put in a significant amount of study and review so that you bring your score up dramatically, don't take the test. If your GPA and the rest of your application is solid, you likely to get in if you apply broadly and to a large number of schools both allopathic and osteopathic. Your goal is to become a physican after all and it only takes one acceptance. See where you stand and then see whether or not you need to re-take the MCAT.

Hello everyone!! Have a wonderful day. Good luck with the mcat scores. :thumbup:

njbmd, thanks for the info :)
I'm going to get advice from my pre-med advisor about what to do, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the exam again. Sometimes it seems worthless to take a prep class just to bring up verbal when I did well in all the other sections, but if I'm going to take the exam over, I really should change up my study plans somehow.

Just in case you haven't heard, our brotha Doctajay has been accepted by UMD for the Class of 2011! I am so proud and happy to know that he's on his way.

I am sure that we are going to hear some good news over here too. Let us take Doctajay's good news as the begining of loads of positive energy for the sistas who have applied and are waiting to hear something too.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a good year for us getting into medical school. Just keep the faith. You can do it. :thumbup:

Hello everyone!! Just wanted to say hello now before I get started on studying for my next orgo exam!! :confused: :laugh: So here's to orgo!!

Just checking in at the middle of the day. It's been pretty slow and I have a bit of time to read and study. Hope everyone is getting the day done and having fun at the same time! :thumbup:

Hi Ho, Hi Ho it's off to Orgo Sistahnik goes! Enjoy the class and keep kicking it!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case you haven't heard, our brotha Doctajay has been accepted by UMD for the Class of 2011! I am so proud and happy to know that he's on his way.

I am sure that we are going to hear some good news over here too. Let us take Doctajay's good news as the begining of loads of positive energy for the sistas who have applied and are waiting to hear something too.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a good year for us getting into medical school. Just keep the faith. You can do it. :thumbup:

Congratulations, DoctaJay!!! :clap: Great job and good luck to you in med school!!!

Hello there jnuska!! All is well as it is going to be!!! Orgo is a beast of a beast!! :scared: :scared:
Njbmd, I went off to Orgo and stayed up until 12:30 tuesday night and then got up wednesday morning to continue the Orgo saga! :sleep: The exam was Wed night so I studied up until around 4:30'ish. I am so glad that the exam is over, but it just won't stop. :laugh: I had to solicit a tutor for Orgo b/c I am falling behind and I really don't want to drop it or retake.
How is everyone holding up? Talk to you all later I'm in the language media center trying to go over some spanish.
Congrats to DoctaJay!!!

Ladies...I'm very dissapointed with my MCAT score.:( While my practice test were between 21 (early studying) and 29(one week before)...I made a 24Q (7BS, 10VR, 7PS) :eek: on the actual thing. Do I still have a chance of getting into medical school this cycle? :confused: I have a 3.89gpa. Will that help at all? I'm a student-athlete so beyond a couple of volunteering experiences (i.e. sunday school teacher, physiology research lab, speacial olympics, health fairs) I dont have much on my resume. I really want to go to medical school and I definately feel like I can make it.:thumbup: At this point I'm looking at Howard (my alma mater), Florida State University, and University of South Florida (i'm a fla resident). Any suggestions?

Ladies...I'm very dissapointed with my MCAT score.:( While my practice test were between 21 (early studying) and 29(one week before)...I made a 24Q (7BS, 10VR, 7PS) :eek: on the actual thing. Do I still have a chance of getting into medical school this cycle? :confused: I have a 3.89gpa. Will that help at all? I'm a student-athlete so beyond a couple of volunteering experiences (i.e. sunday school teacher, physiology research lab, speacial olympics, health fairs) I dont have much on my resume. I really want to go to medical school and I definately feel like I can make it.:thumbup: At this point I'm looking at Howard (my alma mater), Florida State University, and University of South Florida (i'm a fla resident). Any suggestions?

I would still apply because you have a good GPA.

I am going to second the advice that Queenshawtii gave you. Apply this round (make it quick if you have not submitted everything) and see what happens. Apply broadly (including DO schools) and throw in a dream school or two. If you have not submitted your stuff to AMCAS, you are going to be pushing the December deadline. Your excellent academics + your athletic schedule will off set your lack of tons of extra curriculars. You should definitely get a shadowing experience done if you have not already completed this. Move quickly because you are late now.

I am going to second the advice that Queenshawtii gave you. Apply this round (make it quick if you have not submitted everything) and see what happens. Apply broadly (including DO schools) and throw in a dream school or two. If you have not submitted your stuff to AMCAS, you are going to be pushing the December deadline. Your excellent academics + your athletic schedule will off set your lack of tons of extra curriculars. You should definitely get a shadowing experience done if you have not already completed this. Move quickly because you are late now.

Thank-you njbmd!! My AMCAS has already been verified and I have five more secondaries to send out. I should be done no later than Oct. 31st (personal deadline). My initial list included...FSU, USF, UF, Emory, Howard, Maryland, Georgetown, and George Washington. I basically chose schools that were in the location I wanted to be in and that had solid programs. Any suggestions for add-ons? I'm not familiar with DO programs. Could someone explain and/ or reccomend any? Thanks for all of your advice...I am moving swiftly to complete my secondaries. Also...one more question???? I work at Howard Hospital everyday as part of my senior rotations as a Clinical Laboratory Science major. As a result I work with pathologists on a daily basis. I'm adding this because shadowing with my school and basketball schedule is basically impossible. Is this something I could mention? Any suggestions? Thanks again ladies!!!!

Thank-you njbmd!! My AMCAS has already been verified and I have five more secondaries to send out. I should be done no later than Oct. 31st (personal deadline). My initial list included...FSU, USF, UF, Emory, Howard, Maryland, Georgetown, and George Washington. I basically chose schools that were in the location I wanted to be in and that had solid programs. Any suggestions for add-ons? I'm not familiar with DO programs. Could someone explain and/ or reccomend any? Thanks for all of your advice...I am moving swiftly to complete my secondaries. Also...one more question???? I work at Howard Hospital everyday as part of my senior rotations as a Clinical Laboratory Science major. As a result I work with pathologists on a daily basis. I'm adding this because shadowing with my school and basketball schedule is basically impossible. Is this something I could mention? Any suggestions? Thanks again ladies!!!!

Is Dr Nabb still there? She is super!! Anyway, you should include your clinical rotation as a shadowing experience if you interact with the pathologist because you are going to get "dinged" if you don't specifically mention this type of experience. Get those secondaries done, woman. Don't let the clock run out.

Hey there bball25!! You should check out Michigan States Osteopathic school. The only difference between the DO's and MD's as far as I know is that the DO's have some specialized training in the skeletal/muscular system. The particular class that is offered for this training is called OMM, Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine which is done with your hands. I have seen demonstrations done at MSUCOM and they also use other techniques. The focus of the manipulation is to restore normal function to whatever part of your body that is not properly aggregating with the rest of the body functions. The two different degrees are gained with the same training and classes. Now of course all schools have their own special setup for the curriculum, but essentially you learn the same ideas with some tweeking depending on what school you go to. MSUCOM has a great staff and you should call and speak with Tamera Cox who works in the office of diversity along with Dr. Baptista! (Also check out their website) :) I hope you can understand what I just said and it helps you.:thumbup: If I left out any important details or misstated anything someone please correct me.

How is everyone? I just got my tutor for Orgo and I am very excited b/c now I can catch up to whatever I am lacking in. :idea: Have a great day guys.

I just got my tutor for Orgo and I am very excited b/c now I can catch up to whatever I am lacking in. :idea: Have a great day guys.

Sistahnik,
I think you are going to find that the tutor will make a great difference in your approach to organic. Enjoy and keep working hard. :thumbup:

Just finished a day of USMLE Review and I am whipped. Made a bowl of chicken soup with some hot sauce and I am good to go again. I sure miss the summer. Everyone have a good weekend.:thumbup:

Hey there njbmd! Yea I agree that the tutor will help me to maximize my learning tools and gain a different approach to studying it. I will def have to continue to work hard to get out of this semester!! :D
Hope everyone is having a good day today.

Hey there njbmd! Yea I agree that the tutor will help me to maximize my learning tools and gain a different approach to studying it. I will def have to continue to work hard to get out of this semester!! :D
Hope everyone is having a good day today.

I suspect that this semester is going to challenge you but "No challenges = no growth" so think if this as your "growing semester" and meet every challenge with a frontal assault.

Hope everyone is doing well today. I am getting more lectures together for the weekend and more cases analyzed. Wasn't ready for the sharp fall temperature drop though but after looking at the snow in Buffalo, NY last week, I am NOT complaining. I can always put on an extra sweatshirt.

Keep getting it done my sistas! (and brothas too!) The semester is almost over as we head into November. Every year, October seems to be the month that always passes most quickly for me. :thumbup:

Hey njbmd I agree with you. This semester has grown me up by 3 years!! :laugh:
Hello to all the Kings and Queens of premed! ;) Hope everyone is having a great week so far. Talk to you all later.

-Nik

Ok, so I just had a conversation with a pre-med student and was severely discouraged by her advice.

So I graduated from Cornell '04 (notoriously competitive, but who knows if that factors in) with a 2.8 sci GPA, and 3.4 Cum, and exhibited an upward trend in my coursework. I have some C's (never got less than a C) and B+'s. In my sophomore year, my mom died, and was depressed for the following years, although I did manage to get 2 B+'s in upper level sci classes and Physics in my senior yr.

I've been out of school for 2 yrs and in the between time, I worked in HIV research and am 2nd author of a publication, and currently work in AIDS clinical trials as a research coord., affording me significant patient interaction and clinical exposure.

I am planning on taking the MCAT's in January (and rocking them!) and taking 2 additional courses to boost my sci GPA in the Spring (from an Ivy League univ cuz my job pays for it), but I'm afraid the highest my Sci GPA can be raised is to a 2.9 by the time I apply.

Should I defer a year to take more courses, or can I still apply in the summer '07, with a 3.4, and 2.9 BCPM, and potentially great MCAT. I really, really don't want to wait another yr just to bump by BCPM to a 3.0, but I understand this is a critical threshold. Or is it?

staying black,
D

Ok, so I just had a conversation with a pre-med student and was severely discouraged by her advice.

So I graduated from Cornell '04 (notoriously competitive, but who knows if that factors in) with a 2.8 sci GPA, and 3.4 Cum, and exhibited an upward trend in my coursework. I have some C's (never got less than a C) and B+'s. In my sophomore year, my mom died, and was depressed for the following years, although I did manage to get 2 B+'s in upper level sci classes and Physics in my senior yr.

I've been out of school for 2 yrs and in the between time, I worked in HIV research and am 2nd author of a publication, and currently work in AIDS clinical trials as a research coord., affording me significant patient interaction and clinical exposure.

I am planning on taking the MCAT's in January (and rocking them!) and taking 2 additional courses to boost my sci GPA in the Spring (from an Ivy League univ cuz my job pays for it), but I'm afraid the highest my Sci GPA can be raised is to a 2.9 by the time I apply.

Should I defer a year to take more courses, or can I still apply in the summer '07, with a 3.4, and 2.9 BCPM, and potentially great MCAT. I really, really don't want to wait another yr just to bump by BCPM to a 3.0, but I understand this is a critical threshold. Or is it?

staying black,
D

I feel for you because I went through a lot during my sophomore year also and went to a similar school. My grades during those 3 semesters were NOT pretty. But that's a tough one. A 2.9 is ever so close... I know there are schools out there that will automatically screen people out if they have less than a 3.0. Maybe you should decide whether or not to apply once you take the MCAT and get your score, then take it from there. If you get a good score, I would probably go for it and apply broadly (and EARLY!)

fellow pre-meds aren't the best people to talk to about these things though - especially if they're anything like the typical SDN-er :laugh:

staying black,
D

That 3.0 is still very low for most medical schools and those that screen WILL automatically screen you out. The 2005 average for matriculating medical students was 3.6 and the average MCAT was 30. Yes, a 3.4 would be tons better than applying with a 3.0 even with your research.

That being said, you definitely want to take some time and get that GPA well above 3.0. During that time, you should also make careful preparation for the MCAT. There is no need to take the MCAT in January if you are going to take extra courses. You can take your time and take the MCAT later in the year. Plan on taking the MCAT only once and doing very well on that test.

Take your time and do good quality work. Keep your eyes focused on your goal and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Careful preparation and excellence from here on out will get you there.

Hi and thank you for your response.

Just to clarify, my cummulative GPA is a 3.4. It's just my science BCPM GPA that is a 2.8, and potentially 2.9. Do i have to take an ENTIRE additional year off just to tip my BCPM it over to a 3.0? That's what's harrowing.

Just to clarify, my cummulative GPA is a 3.4. It's just my science BCPM GPA that is a 2.8, and potentially 2.9. Do i have to take an ENTIRE additional year off just to tip my BCPM it over to a 3.0? That's what's harrowing.

To be quite honest, no you don't. Your 2.9 (between a B- and B average) is from Cornell which probably has one of the most difficult pre-med programs in the country. I have a friend at Duke Med (top 5 undergrad as well) who had pretty much your exact BCPM and overall GPA. It doesn't mean you're going to waltz right in and get accepted, she was pretty involved and probably had good LORs ( I similarly know another black student from the same school with a 3.6 BCPM and a higher MCAT from the same school whom they rejected...). However, if you feel like this is the ONLY part of your app you need to work on then you're probably fine. Do well on your MCATs.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing! ;) I finally got a tutor and actually I got 2 of them. Now I am so happy that I found them so that I can get through Orgo, but I am still going to work hard on my own it's just good to have some help.

Medical schools look at applicants as a whole. If you have good extracurriculars, personal statement, essays, and a good interview. As well doing decent on the MCAT you will be okay. In an earlier post I stated that you should apply to schools that cater to your specific situation. You can send me a personal message and we can talk more about it. But, I was feeling the same way that you are right now before I applied to medical school and I was being discouraged because people were saying that you need to have a 3.9 G.P.A and a 30 on the MCAT to get into medical school and I realized that is just not true. To make a long story short I am in my first semester of medical school (and I am doing just fine) and I did not have a 30 on my MCAT or a 3.9 GPA for that matter. So, if you don't want to wait another year then don't (that is all contingent upon the fact that you prepare well for the MCAT and make a decent score and that is perfectly possible if you are truly dedicated to it).

I think Divadocs response is right on the money! If you're happy to get into ANY medical school, then definitely apply and apply broadly!

But if you're like me and plan to apply to a notoriously competitive program (MD/PhD)or have geographic limitations or both, then it may be worth taking the extra year to boost your EC's and bump your stats up a bit!

Good luck!!

..I havent been in here in forever!...to all those who are asking about competitiveness and prestige of schools, I say..get in, get your degree, and get out....no one walks around in clinical practice with their school name on their coats or scrubs....they do, however, make the same money within the same specialties....the best of luck to all of you!

I really, really don't want to wait another yr just to bump by BCPM to a 3.0, but I understand this is a critical threshold. Or is it?

D

How critical your less than stellar Science GPA is, will depend on the schools that you apply to. Many schools will focus on your pre-med pre-recs and if fine, will let you through their screening process. Some schools will ding you on that less than 3.0 science GPA. There is no way of knowing unless you call specific admissions officies and get specific information.

As someone else said above, apply broadly and get into any medical school that you can. If you don't want to wait another year and take more science courses (getting As of course) then apply with what you have an see what happens.

One MAJOR factor in your success will be you MCAT score, which you do not have at this point. If you do well (above 30), it is likely that your science GPA is not going to be much of a factor (unless the schools screen science GPA). If you don't do well, then you have "a club for them to beat you with". If you can take more courses, and raise your science GPA (you are close anyway), do so, but applying with a 3.4 (or anything less than a 3.6) in today's climate may be problematic.

NJBMD:
Are there still plans to have an SDN conference next year?

but applying with a 3.4 (or anything less than a 3.6) in today's climate may be problematic.

Delilah, here's where I think the Cornell factor will be helpful: Cornell says that 86% of students with GPAs of 3.4+ were admitted to medical school. The percentage of students admitted with exactly a 3.4 is probably lower, but it's still a relatively high percentage. A 3.4 from Cornell is probably going to be respected more than a 3.4 from an unknown school, whether it's "fair" or not - especially if you do well on the MCAT.
I would contact individual schools to find out their policies regarding the science GPA, make sure you do well on the MCAT, and apply next year. Good luck!

NJBMD:
Are there still plans to have an SDN conference next year?

There actually was not enough interest for an SDN conference for 2007. Lee Burnett, one of the administratiors of SDN will be one of the speakers at the OPM convention in Chicago.

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time. Best wishes to the sisters applying this cycle!

~GraC

Hi ladies! I haven't been on in while! Just checking in to say hi to everyone! Good luck to everyone fighting the good fight this cycle!

Hello everyone!! Just wanted to stop in and say what's up.
Ayzshorti, how is med school going? It's good to hear from you and I wish you much success in your career!! :)

Hello everyone! If anyone is going out for Halloween, please be careful!! Hope you guys are having a great day.
:love:

Hello everyone! If anyone is going out for Halloween, please be careful!! Hope you guys are having a great day.
:love:

Hey Sistanik:
Dusting off my costume right now. Heading out for a small party with some close friends. Will make it an early night because tomorrow is going to be a very long day. Hate to miss all the little trick or treaters but will catch them at my friend's house.

Gone are the days when I would don my costume and bar "hop" in Georgetown or Charlottesville. I miss those days;)

To ayznshorti:
Great to hear from you. Hope everything is going well. Say hey to DocJolly if you two cross paths. I know that you are busy.

To everyone else:
Keep the faith.:thumbup:

happy halloween ladies! are any of you familiar with dartmouth? i interviewed there and really liked the school, but there are so few black people in the town. if anyone has experience in dartmouth or new hampshire in general, could you possibly fill me in on what it's like is like for black students there? thanks!

Hi Ladies!

Let's see... my first year is hard but it's going well. I'm passing all of my classes so that's definitely something to celebrate! Other than that I'm still working on that whole time management thing. We take all of our tests on the same day (like biochem 8-10a, anatomy written 10a-12p and then anatomy practical 1p-3p), so that means you can't study one subject, take the test and then focus on the other one (and that's definitely what I did in undergrad). But otherwise, things are going well. I'm ready for Christmas though!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

ayznshorti congrats on passing your classes and handling first year without stressing out! Wow to having to take all your test in one day! We have test block where we take one exam aday for a week.

I just finished my second test block in my first year of medical school and I must say that I am hanging in there too. It just sucks that you have absolutely no life in med school. You get like 3 days of free time after each test block before you have to start studying again. But it is all worth it in the end.

Good morning everybody. I was wondering if any of the sistahs out there could give me some advice on to beat the VR section. I took the exam in august and the VR whooped me. I am in this application cycle so I am retaking in January. Howard and Meharry said they would take those scores from me so this is my last hope for this cycle. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Good morning everybody. I was wondering if any of the sistahs out there could give me some advice on to beat the VR section. I took the exam in august and the VR whooped me. I am in this application cycle so I am retaking in January. Howard and Meharry said they would take those scores from me so this is my last hope for this cycle. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Start reading the OP/ED pieces in the NY Times every day (free online). I always had issues with reading comp, but this really helped because the lengths are similar to verbal passages.

Greetings Ladies [and gentlemen]

I'm new to SDN, and it is so beautiful to see sisters holding each other up through such an arduous process.

Keep your heads up...we are going to make it!!

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I plan on taking my mcat and applying in the spring. my gpa is solid at 3.8, so really right now my focus is on making sure my extracurriculars are lined up. I've done shadowing, participated in an intensive summer program, I'm a student athlete, I've held down a job my entire college career, and my plans are to do some research over the summer as well as maybe a little bit during my senior year depending on wether or not a professor of mine gets his lab going. So basically I'm wondering if my ec's are fine, or if I should look for other ways to improve them. I'm really stumped as far as coming up with anything else to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.