Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good afternoon or evening my Beautiful Black Sistah's! How is everybody doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon or evening my Beautiful Black Sistah's! How is everybody doing?

Hope that AMCAS is ticking along for you. It seems like the summer goes fast for us all.

Greetings for all folks! It's a great day in history!

Hi everyone,

I pray that you are all doing well :) I haven't posted here in ages, and I feel terribly about that. But,i'd just like to stop in for a moment and encourage you all, wherever you are in this endeavor, be it MCAT, med. school application process, MSI exams, etc.

I bless the Lord because, within four weeks (June 20th, to be exact!) I will be a 4th year medical student!!! :clap: :clap: It's such an overwhelming and stressful, yet completely blessed and wonderful journey that I've been on. I
Seeing the MSIVs at my school graduate filled me with such a sense of pride, and of wonderment, of this entire process...It actually made me truly reflect upon how far I've come (I even remember my post on this thread, when I actually found out that I had been accepted!)

To know that I'm so within my goal, my reach, of becoming an actual physician, fills me with so much gratefulness and happiness that mere words can't begin to express how I truly feel. The Lord has truly carried and protected me throughout these past years (and more), and has seen me through so many things... every exam, every family member death (and I've had several), every heartache, every personal trial...

Wherever you are in this process, please be encouraged and know that the Lord is with you, as you continue your own respective journesy of personal growth and development...

I know that I still have a very long way to go in this process to becoming a doctor, but I just wanted to stop by and share my faith with you, and let you know that all things are possible,when you place your trust in the Lord...

I almost cried reading this. I have my days where I'm confident and continue to move forward and then days when I start to doubt myself and your words of encouragement inspired me to keep moving forward. The Lord did not bring me this far to leave me and I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Thank you so much!!! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope that AMCAS is ticking along for you. It seems like the summer goes fast for us all.

Greetings for all folks! It's a great day in history!

Yes it is!!! :love:

HEELLOOO Ladies! I'm back. I have renewed sense of self and I am getting back on the trail. I am going to retake the MCAT in January and I am reapplying in '09. My faith has taken me to a new level in trusting in the word of God and believing that He has a devine plan and connection for my life. I am now trying to get my hands on the Examkrackers Audio Osmosis so if anyone has it and is willing to part with it, or even knows someone who wants to get it off of their hands please let me know. :D I am excited all over again but I am a little nervous about where to start. I was so hurt and disappointed with myself and I had to heal and go through a process so that I could move to the next level. I attended my friends hooding ceremony for Wayne State SOM and I absolutely fell in love all over again. :love:
It's so good to be back in the land of premeds!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Take care guys and have a good night! :)
sistahnik

Last edited:
hey sistahnik, i have audio osmosis! mine is a couple years old, i don't know how often they update it but i bought mine in 2006. I have been planning on converting them to mp3s so i could email them or make them available to people btu i always forget to actually do it; however, i could definitely do it this weekend. Glad you're feeling better and more upbeat, it's the only way to succeed!

Speaking of success, I'm going to Mount Sinai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got off the waitlist a week ago and i still have a huge grin on my face. Want to thank everyone here quickly for all the support I've gotten. Hope everyone else is happy and healthy as well. It's been a really rough few months for me, but things are finally looking totally up.

Can you upload that for me? I really need to have it! How will I get it if you upload it and where are you uploading it to? I am stupid when it comes to all that uploading stuff. I am so excited for you getting off the waitlist this is awesome news! :clap::clap:
hey sistahnik, i have audio osmosis! mine is a couple years old, i don't know how often they update it but i bought mine in 2006. I have been planning on converting them to mp3s so i could email them or make them available to people btu i always forget to actually do it; however, i could definitely do it this weekend. Glad you're feeling better and more upbeat, it's the only way to succeed!

Speaking of success, I'm going to Mount Sinai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got off the waitlist a week ago and i still have a huge grin on my face. Want to thank everyone here quickly for all the support I've gotten. Hope everyone else is happy and healthy as well. It's been a really rough few months for me, but things are finally looking totally up.

Can you upload that for me? I really need to have it! How will I get it if you upload it and where are you uploading it to? I am stupid when it comes to all that uploading stuff. I am so excited for you getting off the waitlist this is awesome news! :clap::clap:
Thanks!!
Oh and do you have gmail? I could just email it to you in parts (split it up by cd). Let me know your email address.

I'm so happy I found this thread! Good to know we're out there in the premed world!

HEELLOOO Ladies! I'm back. I have renewed sense of self and I am getting back on the trail. I am going to retake the MCAT in January and I am reapplying in '09. My faith has taken me to a new level in trusting in the word of God and believing that He has a devine plan and connection for my life. I am now trying to get my hands on the Examkrackers Audio Osmosis so if anyone has it and is willing to part with it, or even knows someone who wants to get it off of their hands please let me know. :D I am excited all over again but I am a little nervous about where to start. I was so hurt and disappointed with myself and I had to heal and go through a process so that I cold move to the next level. I attended my friends hooding ceremony for Wayne State SOM and I absolutely fell in love all over again. :love:
It's so good to be back in the land of premeds!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Take care guys and have a good night! :)
sistahnik

My faith in you has never wavered and never will. Yes, you are going to be a great physician. Everything will come when you need it.

Oh, I am so happy for you because I know you wanted Sinai! Isn't it just the best how we can support each other and help each other out (with tapes and MP3s) on our little positive thread. Again, all good things come in time. Yea!!!! and congratulations!!! We are definitely going to get together in NY.

Thanks!!
Oh and do you have gmail? I could just email it to you in parts (split it up by cd). Let me know your email address.

Hey there, I have a few addresses but I'll send them by PM. I have gmail, but I haven't used it in a while so I don't remember the passwords and stuff. I have yahoo, hotmail, my work and school addresses. Is there one that's better to use than another? I will send them now.

Hey there, I have a few addresses but I'll send them by PM. I have gmail, but I haven't used it in a while so I don't remember the passwords and stuff. I have yahoo, hotmail, my work and school addresses. Is there one that's better to use than another? I will send them now.
whichever has more memory is better. I got your PM. My boyfriend is laying around in my apartment all day while i'm at work, so i asked him if he got a chance to rip them for me. I don't really have internet in my apartment but while i'm in NY this weekend i should, so i'll email them this weekend.

Oh and thanks njbmd!!! Can't wait to meet up!

whichever has more memory is better. I got your PM. My boyfriend is laying around in my apartment all day while i'm at work, so i asked him if he got a chance to rip them for me. I don't really have internet in my apartment but while i'm in NY this weekend i should, so i'll email them this weekend.

Oh and thanks njbmd!!! Can't wait to meet up!

Ok, thank you very much I really appreciate it. I guess yahoo would be the best I guess. I am really trying to buckle down and get a top notch score this time around. I am really excited about having another opportunity even though I was pissed about how things turned out this season. Anyway, it's not over until I get that acceptance. Have a good time in NY! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey njbmd how are you? Thank you for all your support and encouragement! I never intended to give up, but it was a hard road when I didn't make it in this time around. I'm just glad to be back on the road again. :D:laugh:
I'm gearing up to start a schedule for MCAT study but I don't know how to get going with it. Can anyone help me? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should review my equations or not. I do at least plan on taking a baseline test to see where I'm at with the material.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope you all have a great weekend. Trying to get prepared for the summer and plan a vacation.

hey everyone,

i'm just getting better...i had a kidney infection...:( I missed two labs and two lectures in my chem course this summer. But GOD is good....my teacher email me and i still can stay in the class as long as i don't miss any more labs. I was so worried about getting an F.....the policy is if you miss more than two labs you automatic get an F for the course. I have been working hard and maintaing a B+. :love:

Just wanted to stop in and say hi :love:

I just wanted to connect with people who are in this year's application cycle.
Has anyone completed the AMCAS 2009 yet? Right now I don't feel as if I should apply to medical school at all, but I'm looking at Post Bac programs instead, but still taking the MCAT in August.
Anyone else looking at PostBacs? where are you looking?

Hey njbmd how are you? Thank you for all your support and encouragement! I never intended to give up, but it was a hard road when I didn't make it in this time around. I'm just glad to be back on the road again. :D:laugh:
I'm gearing up to start a schedule for MCAT study but I don't know how to get going with it. Can anyone help me? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should review my equations or not. I do at least plan on taking a baseline test to see where I'm at with the material.
hey sistahnik,
have you written the MCAT before? I have some advice...I'm not sure if it will help. First you need to decide what you really need to focus on. You may know this already...if not then you should take a practice test to see how you do and then go from there. If you are concerned with equations (I'm assuming physics/math type of equations) I would suggest getting a schaum's outline and going through examples and questions that have detailed answers. It doesn't take too long and i find the schaum's outlines really drive points home and it won't take an extremely long time to go over the really important points. I am Canadian so I am not sure if Schaum's outlines exist in America. I would say you need to initially attack things you know you really need to improve and then attack all of the material.
I hope that helps. I have not posted on this thread before but I know what it is like to struggle with the MCAT. All the best and if you would like more help feel free to pm me.
Joanne643

Thanks joanne643, I really appreciate this advice and yes, it really does help. ;) My idea was that I would take a baseline first and see where my weakness is, then I will review all my equations from gchem and physics. I have been looking at my old physics notes from summer '05 and I can't believe that I have such wonderful notes. It's been quite a while since I had gchem and physics so I feel like I need to brush up on those equations. I want to say that I am grateful for all the advice you guys have been offering.
Yes we do have Schaums and I have read the books before.

Thanks joanne643, I really appreciate this advice and yes, it really does help. ;) My idea was that I would take a baseline first and see where my weakness is, then I will review all my equations from gchem and physics. I have been looking at my old physics notes from summer '05 and I can't believe that I have such wonderful notes. It's been quite a while since I had gchem and physics so I feel like I need to brush up on those equations. I want to say that I am grateful for all the advice you guys have been offering.
Yes we do have Schaums and I have read the books before.

Pas de Problème!
Bonne chance!

Pas de Problème!
Bonne chance!

Sorry Joanne, I didn't answer your initial question. I did take the MCAT last year. I just decided last month that I would retake because I really want to attend med school and it's a calling for me not just another career. :)

?Tu Hable Espanol?

Hi Everyone!! Just checking in since it's lunch time and the computer was open. I have finished AMCAS, verified and applied. Have a couple of secondaries done but it's so hard getting these out (expensive too).

Good luck everyone!:luck:

Good morning ladies! How is everybody doing this blessed day?

Hey there blackdr2b! I'm doing just peachy and you? Hope that you guys are having a good day also.

sistahnik

Hey ladies! This will be my first post and I am proud to say that I have submitted and my app is verified. I am gearing up for the MCAT in a few weeks:) I have my sights set on secondaries! Many blessing to all of you and a big congrats to those who made it in last cycle.

Take care.

just submitted AMCAS today....wohhh, 1 thing down and abt 10 more to go:)

congrats to everyone submitting AMCAS! :D Sit back and wait for those secondaries but don't let'em pile up. I can remember last year when they were coming in and I almost couldn't keep up. It seems as if they all come in at the same time then you are trying to pull words from the heart and be sincere. I would recommend that you guys try to find a link on SDN that supplies the (current) essays to each school. Have fun and most of all don't waver in your faith! :love: I didn't get in this year but I will be going through the cycle next year.

sistahnik

congrats to everyone submitting AMCAS! :D Sit back and wait for those secondaries but don't let'em pile up. I can remember last year when they were coming in and I almost couldn't keep up. It seems as if they all come in at the same time then you are trying to pull words from the heart and be sincere. I would recommend that you guys try to find a link on SDN that supplies the (current) essays to each school. Have fun and most of all don't waver in your faith! :love: I didn't get in this year but I will be going through the cycle next year.

sistahnik
sista nik do u mind me asking which schools u applied last year? did u interiew at any? it ma also help if you can call the individual school and see where exactly you need to improve on...that way, u can crush everything down and be the first to apply next cycle.

Hey there mimi I applied to Michigan schools, Howard, Meharry, Louisville, and some others. I applied to about 12 total, but I had FAP so I paid nothing except $85 for the MCAT. I didn't get any interviews and I have already spoken with a few ppl from the med schools and I have an appt for Wayne next month. I already know it was mostly my MCAT score so I am trying to take care of that.

So Sistah nik when are you tackling the MCAT again? I am going at it next month and a little concerned about studying and secondaries looming. Any ideas about the time frame that they begin rolling in?

Mimi, nice to see another non-trad in the application trenches! I am coming from a hearing background. Lets keep hope alive during the process:)

Hey ladies!

Good luck to those applying this cycle. Im taking some summer classes, just trying to get that lovely GPA up and such. Just gotta take things day by day. Ive come to grips with my horrid academic past, and realize that I can only go forward. I am happy to get into any school (US or Abroad) as long as I am a physician!

Hey Nolalady how are you? I think that because you guys are applying and getting verified this early those secondaries should come in faster than if you wait until later down the line. My experience was that they took on average, about 2-3 weeks to come in and I applied in like August if I remember right and some came later than that. Just pace yourself and make a schedule. I never thought that I would be giving advice about this process. :eek: You better believe that I will be more prepared for the EXAM this time around.
My plan is to take the MCAT in January so I am gearing up now trying to collect everything that I need for preparation. Just make sure you Stay in faith during the process because I know what it feels like to almost give up on a dream. No matter how long it takes to get 2ndaries, just be patient and don't check your emails every other hour. :laugh:

Me too puchi! I have to rebuild a little thats why I'm not applying this cycle.

Last edited:
Hey guys what's going on? Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I just had a rough day at work and had to kick out one of my students. I really hate kicking ppl out of class b/c they should be learning, but when you can't respect others it's time for you to go!! :D I really love my students and I believe that they like me, but sometimes I don't know.

Sistah nik, it has taken me three years, Katrina, and a whole lot of blood sweat and tears to get to this point. I have learned that faith is the only way to get through. Thank you so much for your advice and I am truly grateful. I wish you guys a wonderfully successful rebuilding year:)

You are welcome Nolalady and thank you for the well wishes. I am so anxious already for next year so I can apply and get in. I truly believe that this is going to be a test of perserverance for me. I know that I can make it and I will so I'm just enjoying where I'm at now this year. Good day all! :D

Hi everyone,

My son just turned 6 last week and he learning how to ride his bike without training wheels...I swear they grow up so fast. My big boy is even talking about going to college. He wants to be a Policeman and doctor :D I told him he can do anything he wants to do!

Just wanted to share:love:

Haver a great night.

So Sistah nik when are you tackling the MCAT again? I am going at it next month and a little concerned about studying and secondaries looming. Any ideas about the time frame that they begin rolling in?

Mimi, nice to see another non-trad in the application trenches! I am coming from a hearing background. Lets keep hope alive during the process:)

i dunno if the ADCOM will be considering me as a non-trad or what since i hear the age for that is usually abt 26yrs and over......i am 21yrs old, but got married and had a son at 15. my son is now 6yrs old and hubby is 25. i did my high school in Africa and started college in 2002. i graduated in 2006 and have been working as a nurse for over 2years now. am also taking the MCAT next month. i hope very thing works for our favor this cycle.:love:

Hello guys how are you? Just reading some posts and messing around online for awhile. Have a wonderful night everyone.

sistahnik

hey everyone,

How's everyone weekend? i'm working, trying to lay out in the sun and study for my upcoming chem test :D

hey everyone,

How's everyone weekend? i'm working, trying to lay out in the sun and study for my upcoming chem test :D

That's the best way to study for a chem test. Just don't forget the sunscreen, a big hat and some nice shades. UV light doesn't like us very much. Good luck on the test. I am sure you will do well.

Even if your skin is dark, you can still get melanoma,which, is no joke. Some of my research was on development of a melanoma vaccine and I saw quite a few darker skinned folks with this awful disease.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am very productive today even though I had to do a presentation yesterday. I am beginning to hate leaving my house and the pool on free weekends. Enjoy everyone!

Hey njbmd, I was just teaching my students about the skin organ and system. We just coversed some of those nasty diseases including melanoma. Alot of ppl just thought it only involved caucasions, but it involves alot more pigmented ppl. My classes were facinated by the skin and had so many questions which helps me learn more. Anyway, just thought that I would say hello!! :hello::hello:

Hey njbmd, I was just teaching my students about the skin organ and system. We just coversed some of those nasty diseases including melanoma. Alot of ppl just thought it only involved caucasions, but it involves alot more pigmented ppl. My classes were facinated by the skin and had so many questions which helps me learn more. Anyway, just thought that I would say hello!! :hello::hello:

I am so glad that you are having these discussions with your students. Skin is pretty interesting and grave health problems when it's not healthy. I too, always learn so much from my students. They keep me studying more that I would like to admit. :eek:

Hey njbmd I gotta study b/c they will catch me up if I don't. I have really learned so much about the urinary system, the heart, and the skin since I've been here. It seems so intriguing and tedious to learn, but fun at the same time.

Hey guys what's going on? It's crazy hat day at work and we are all wearing weird looking hats. :laugh::laugh: You should see the one I made. :smuggrin:

I took my 3rd chem test today and it didn't go as well as i would have liked but i can't cry about spoil milk..:laugh: So i am kicking it into high gear and getting ready for my final next thursday.:)

njbmd, thxs for the advice! I will defin look into the 1st one. I have a job at a hospital and i know they do tution rebus. but it is not that much.

Hello Dorise how are you? Just keep it trucking with that chemistry girl, it's all good. I remember when I took chem and physics, my partner and I had study sessions until 3/4am and we did problem set after problem set until we could do them backwards. All you gotta do is get a regimen going and stick to it everyday or at least when you are not taking care of your little boo-boo. I know that sometimes it may be a little difficult with children, but sometimes they are inspiration. Keep your head up and just do it!! ;)

Remember: The race isn't given to the swift, but to those who endure to the end of the task. This is what I keep at the forefront of my mind everyday.

Hello Dorise how are you? Just keep it trucking with that chemistry girl, it's all good. I remember when I took chem and physics, my partner and I had study sessions until 3/4am and we did problem set after problem set until we could do them backwards. All you gotta do is get a regimen going and stick to it everyday or at least when you are not taking care of your little boo-boo. I know that sometimes it may be a little difficult with children, but sometimes they are inspiration. Keep your head up and just do it!! ;)

Remember: The race isn't given to the swift, but to those who endure to the end of the task. This is what I keep at the forefront of my mind everyday.

I'm feeling blessed and just trying to hang in their. i almost most gave up on going to medical school but i'm so passion about medicine and i can't shake the feeling. My grades have dropped and it looks like i going to have to do a masters or post bac but i'm not giving up:) I have to keep telling myself the road to success is never easy:p

:love:

I'm feeling blessed and just trying to hang in their. i almost most gave up on going to medical school but i'm so passion about medicine and i can't shake the feeling. My grades have dropped and it looks like i going to have to do a masters or post bac but i'm not giving up:) I have to keep telling myself the road to success is never easy:p

:love:

Oh no you don't!! :mad: :D If I can hang in there after getting slaughtered by the MCAT and that first round of apps last year so can you. I TOTALLY understand how you feel about giving up b/c after I got my test score back I was walking away from it all. I then had an opportunity to sit back and think about what I was going to otherwise do and Medicine just kept creeping up in my mind. I just can't shake the thought of going to medical school. Besides, I know that it is a calling for me and not just a career change so I have to go with my destiny call. Hang in there, God will take you through the journey.

sistahnik