Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is doing well! I am offically done with my sociology class which i ended up with a A:D I am so happy to have a break from school. I have two weeks off before i start up again....

Sociology was pretty boring and i register for psyc classes b/c i think that will be more interesting....:)

Anyway, I need to do some school shopping for my son who is going to 1st grade:eek: and myself....

I hope everyone is enjoying thier summer!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is doing well! I am offically done with my sociology class which i ended up with a A:D I am so happy to have a break from school. I have two weeks off before i start up again....

Sociology was pretty boring and i register for psyc classes b/c i think that will be more interesting....:)

Anyway, I need to do some school shopping for my son who is going to 1st grade:eek: and myself....

I hope everyone is enjoying thier summer!!!

Congratulations on the excellent performance and on being Mum to an achieving young man. Yes, it's that time again and soon all of the new school attendees will be heading off to new classes.

I was at the Howard White Coat Ceremony on August 1st. It always serves to remind me of the wealth of gifted young men and women who are entering the profession. I know that they are probably "mired" in things to study and learn at this point. It's a new year and a new "Class of 2012" which makes me seem so old at this point.

Hello njbmd and dorise how are you doing? I know that I havent been on the boards lately, but I have been working so hard and trying to prepare for re-entering school. I am gearing up to register for next years MCAT and I am excited but scared. So how is everyone else doing I need to get some information from you guys so I can catch up. I have been gone from the boards too long and I miss you guys!! :D Talk to you later

sistahnik!! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello njbmd and dorise how are you doing? I know that I havent been on the boards lately, but I have been working so hard and trying to prepare for re-entering school. I am gearing up to register for next years MCAT and I am excited but scared. So how is everyone else doing I need to get some information from you guys so I can catch up. I have been gone from the boards too long and I miss you guys!! :D Talk to you later

sistahnik!! :love:
HI everyone....just checking in....
sistahnik, good luck and keep pushing:) I just celebrated my 24th bday last week...but people say i don't look a day over 18:D (i'm not complaining) School have started and it so far so good with my son and I. Good luck to all that is starting medical school, going on your interviews or taking the MCAT:love:

hi ladies! im new to this site, im in my senior year of high school n i was wondering when is a good time to start studying for the MCAT?

hi ladies! im new to this site, im in my senior year of high school n i was wondering when is a good time to start studying for the MCAT?

Hi Jessica!

Welcome! You ideally won't take your MCAT (assuming that you're going the traditional route to applying) until either your sophomore or junior year of college (most people op. for the latter). This is primarily because you will be tested on those significant premedical science courses taken in college: biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics.

It's great that you are already thinking ahead, and hopefully mapping out your future. But, until you get to college, I wouldn't worry too much about the MCAT. Just focus on finishing off well in high school, and keep positive about the road ahead (it's a tough one, i admit :) )

i hope this helps!

Just wanted to stop by and say hello to all the Beautiful Black Women in this thread! Hope all is blessed!

Hi! I am a senior chemistry/pre-med major in Maryland. Currently, my gpa is a 3.7 and I plan on acing my last seven classes (including pchem, pray for me). Anyhow, I am hoping to get into a good md/phd program, preferably Hopkins and would like to know what you all do to handle the stress of the senior year, med school prep year. Oh, I have a four year old and am married as well so that adds much to my plate. I am really excited about all that is to come but at the same time I am a little nervous/anxious about finally getting into medical school.

Hi! I am a senior chemistry/pre-med major in Maryland. Currently, my gpa is a 3.7 and I plan on acing my last seven classes (including pchem, pray for me). Anyhow, I am hoping to get into a good md/phd program, preferably Hopkins and would like to know what you all do to handle the stress of the senior year, med school prep year. Oh, I have a four year old and am married as well so that adds much to my plate. I am really excited about all that is to come but at the same time I am a little nervous/anxious about finally getting into medical school.

Welcome Neuro Doctor and hey to everyone else!

I can tell you for sure, that being an attending is a huge amount of work. I have never been so busy in my life but life is good. I totally love what I am doing and love the daily acquisition of knowledge. It's been a challenge to keep up with my academics (reading and research) while practicing and doing clinical duties.

My latest goal is to get and keep myself in good physical condition. This has taken the form of walking at least 9 flights up (down doesn't count) of steps each day in addition to my regular gym work. When I get restless, I hit the stairwell; when I get tired, I hit the stairwell; when I am stressed, I hit the stairwell. It's working and I feel great.

For Neuro Doctor: I loved P.Chem because it was the perfect application for all of my math. This class truly helped me look at most everyday phenomena in a very analytical manner. It also honed my programming capabilities because I wrote little programs to analyze my data from experiments. This was a great class for me even though my honors research and thesis was in Analytical Chemistry (time of flight mass spectrometry and post-translational modifications to proteins).

To everyone else (especially Dorise and Sistahnik): Fight the good fight and enjoy the learning. Just when you think life is getting you down, run up a few flights of steps for a new perspective.

I know Docjolly and UVABranch are getting along fine because I have heard from them. They are doing us here at this positive thread very well.

Well, they are paging me to start my first case. Great to see our thread (and the brotha's thread) back. :thumbup:

Hello Ladies!

I have been away from this site for so long I feel the need to reintroduce myself -- I'm 26, finishing a doctorate in immunology and planning to apply to medical school at long last next year.

While I was gone: The past two years have been the most challenging of my life as my faith (in God and in myself) was tested time and time again until I became ill and spent nearly a month in the hospital last year. Just when I thought I was in the clear, I ended up having to be hospitalized two more times this year. These experiences shocked me into action -- I reexamined my priorities, reorganized my work/life balance and returned to the UK to do another set of experiments to complete my doctorate. I'm about 8 months behind schedule but healthy and happy (Amen!).

On Medicine: I had to take time to reconnect with myself about pursuing a career in medicine. I wanted to be certain that I was going forward with my plans for the right reasons. Then I realized that I was actually afraid (what if I fell ill in medical school!?!) and then prayed on being released from that fear.

I'm happy to report that I am back on track! I saved enough $ for an extended MCAT course starting in October. I will be applying next year and am actually looking forward to the process!

P.S.: Special thanks to njbmd -- your advice was invaluable to me and I'm busy reading your blog on applying to med school etc. Thank you!!!

GraC, the good thing is that you only need a mustard seed of faith and God will meet you where you are. Congrats on almost finishing your doctorate. Have faith, pray about it and He will direct you. I have realized that in this life, good things come to those who wait and God never fails.

You will do well and I wish you the best. Once God is top priority, He will work it out in His time.

Hello Ladies!

I have been away from this site for so long I feel the need to reintroduce myself -- I'm 26, finishing a doctorate in immunology and planning to apply to medical school at long last next year.

While I was gone: The past two years have been the most challenging of my life as my faith (in God and in myself) was tested time and time again until I became ill and spent nearly a month in the hospital last year. Just when I thought I was in the clear, I ended up having to be hospitalized two more times this year. These experiences shocked me into action -- I reexamined my priorities, reorganized my work/life balance and returned to the UK to do another set of experiments to complete my doctorate. I'm about 8 months behind schedule but healthy and happy (Amen!).

On Medicine: I had to take time to reconnect with myself about pursuing a career in medicine. I wanted to be certain that I was going forward with my plans for the right reasons. Then I realized that I was actually afraid (what if I fell ill in medical school!?!) and then prayed on being released from that fear.

I'm happy to report that I am back on track! I saved enough $ for an extended MCAT course starting in October. I will be applying next year and am actually looking forward to the process!

P.S.: Special thanks to njbmd -- your advice was invaluable to me and I'm busy reading your blog on applying to med school etc. Thank you!!!

I hope everyone is doing well out there! Im so excited, this is my last year of my post-bacc!!! Im on a mission to get into med school for the entering class of 2010. Its been a long, hard road, but I know I will make it!

Hey everybody.
I'm destressing from completing the VMCAS, last week. That would be the Veterinary Medical College Application Service.
I thought I'd tell you, there's still a girl plugging away with the animal side of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks mesm. for the encouragement -- so true.

Great to see there's a future vet here too -- good luck on your applications :thumbup:

Hello everyone! I am going to medical school officially. It looks like I am staying in Ohio but I am definitely going. God is good to me. I hope everyone hears good news too. I am so happy, I can't believe it. My mom has been calling everyone for the past week. I can't keep my mind on my work because I start shaking when I think about next August.

Hi everybody! im a newbie to SDN, and it nice to see so many black pre-medical students, there are only a handful at my university :(

Hello everyone! I am going to medical school officially. It looks like I am staying in Ohio but I am definitely going. God is good to me. I hope everyone hears good news too. I am so happy, I can't believe it. My mom has been calling everyone for the past week. I can't keep my mind on my work because I start shaking when I think about next August.

:clap: Congratulations!!!! :hardy:

It's been awhile and I am just working and working and working. There is so much to do. That being said, I know that there are some folks like BlackDr2b and CuyahogaMD2B that have some interviews and acceptances underway.

Congratulations to everyone who is just fighting the fight and getting the job done. GraC_undr_PrsR, you just keep aiming for for your dreams, one day at a time. I know you are going to make it. Now, I am off to lecture and finish my dictations. The work never ends but it is fun.

Hey sistahnik: hope things are happening for you too. It's just a busy fall and Christmas is coming so fast. I can't wait to get to New York/NJ and see the holiday stuff. I just love the eastern seaboard cities around holiday time.

Happy Thanksgiving all. Hope the day was nice and filled with loads of family love, food love and sports. :D I have duty in the Burn Unit and the turkey fryers have claimed their victims. ;)

Top of the morning to all of my Beautiful Sistah's out there! I hope and pray you all are blessed and in good health. Love yall and God bless!

Greetings Ladies,

Wanted to drop a line to everyone and wish those who are engaged in this year's cycle the best of luck. I have not posted in a couple years. Here's a little about me. I'm definitely nontraditional. BS is in Electrical Engineering. I'm in my 6th year of teaching middle school math (my test of public service). I have a freshman in college, a senior in high school, and a four year old. I have been on this journey to medical school for awhile. I have a interview at ECU in January and I have just received a supplementary application from IU (Indiana University) which means a interview invite. Wish me luck.

Greetings Ladies,

Wanted to drop a line to everyone and wish those who are engaged in this year's cycle the best of luck. I have not posted in a couple years. Here's a little about me. I'm definitely nontraditional. BS is in Electrical Engineering. I'm in my 6th year of teaching middle school math (my test of public service). I have a freshman in college, a senior in high school, and a four year old. I have been on this journey to medical school for awhile. I have a interview at ECU in January and I have just received a supplementary application from IU (Indiana University) which means a interview invite. Wish me luck.

congrats on your interviews!!! :D

I've been reading this thread and it is wonderful! You guys are so supportive here!. I am a pre-dent that reapplied this year and and I am taking the DAT in January. I am also a graduate student. I was feeling really down and out because I thought that I could never achieve getting into dental school, but I am so inspired by the words and encouragement here and I am going to keep on climbing until I reach my goal. I will keep everyone applying in prayer and I wish everyone the best!:)

Greetings Ladies,

Good luck!!! Hold it down :cool:

I am not sure anyone can help me but I am so depressed about my premed grades. I went to an ivy league school for undergrad but the science classes kicked my butt. I basically had B, C, and a D in my core science classes. I never took physics at all. I took just Bio, Chem, and Orgo. I have never had any difficulties in school like this. These science classes hurt. I would try to get help from teachers and they were not really helpful. One actually told me she thought I had a learning disability because I did not get an A in orgo. This tanked my self esteem. Especially since I had always been succesful in school up until this point. I never really had a study group like other people in my classes even though I really wanted to be in one. The people in my science courses were just not welcoming. I found out later that a lot of other black students had similar problems at my school but too bad we did not realize it until our science gpas were in the tank. Also, the way the classes were set up you would be hard pressed to find another black person in the science department. Everyone really kept to themselves so you really never had an idea of who was actually taking courses and if they were you would probably never see them because there wouldnt be more than 1 black person in a class.

I would like to note that I took some sciences classes at a local state school. I fared way way way better in the courses than at my undergrad uni. I think my science gpa is in the 2.4 range from undergrad but I do not have that many classes. I guess my question is that is it even worth it trying to rehabilitate my gpa. I know I am smart. I know I can do this. I probably could not do it from my alma mater clearly. However, there are thousands of doctors that graduate from state schools that do just fine.

I wish I found this board when I was in the midst of my classes. Maybe, things could have turned out differently.

Do any of you ladies have some success stories from overcoming low gpas?

I would love to hear them. I need some encouragement and inspiration right now.

You guys have no idea how bad it felt to wind up with a crappy science gpa after wanting to be a doctor my whole life. It hurt so badly. It really, really depressed me. I could not get out of bed some days because I was so sad about what happened with my science courses and the lack of support from my school.

I am not sure anyone can help me but I am so depressed about my premed grades. I went to an ivy league school for undergrad but the science classes kicked my butt. I basically had B, C, and a D in my core science classes. I never took physics at all. I took just Bio, Chem, and Orgo. I have never had any difficulties in school like this. These science classes hurt. I would try to get help from teachers and they were not really helpful. One actually told me she thought I had a learning disability because I did not get an A in orgo. This tanked my self esteem. Especially since I had always been succesful in school up until this point. I never really had a study group like other people in my classes even though I really wanted to be in one. The people in my science courses were just not welcoming. I found out later that a lot of other black students had similar problems at my school but too bad we did not realize it until our science gpas were in the tank. Also, the way the classes were set up you would be hard pressed to find another black person in the science department. Everyone really kept to themselves so you really never had an idea of who was actually taking courses and if they were you would probably never see them because there wouldnt be more than 1 black person in a class.

I would like to note that I took some sciences classes at a local state school. I fared way way way better in the courses than at my undergrad uni. I think my science gpa is in the 2.4 range from undergrad but I do not have that many classes. I guess my question is that is it even worth it trying to rehabilitate my gpa. I know I am smart. I know I can do this. I probably could not do it from my alma mater clearly. However, there are thousands of doctors that graduate from state schools that do just fine.

I wish I found this board when I was in the midst of my classes. Maybe, things could have turned out differently.

Do any of you ladies have some success stories from overcoming low gpas?

I would love to hear them. I need some encouragement and inspiration right now.

You guys have no idea how bad it felt to wind up with a crappy science gpa after wanting to be a doctor my whole life. It hurt so badly. It really, really depressed me. I could not get out of bed some days because I was so sad about what happened with my science courses and the lack of support from my school.

I didn't have a science GPA as low as yours but I also had more science classes. My first two years of undergrad my BCPM GPA was around a 2.5. My last two years I brought it up so that when I graduated it was a 3.01. It took a lot of work. But it came up a lot because my last two years I took nothing but science classes because of my major.

Believe me I definently know what it feels like to get that crappy GPA. One semester I had a 2.5 and I just wanted to give up but I didn't. I knew I wanted to practice medicine so I kept at it. The first time I applied to medical school I got a few secondaries, more outright rejections, and no interviews. I'm in the process of re-applying right now and I have two interviews lined up in state.

The road the getting interviews was not easy. I knew realistically that I was not a good applicant on paper so I had to do something to change that. I did minority pre-med programs at medical schools. I also applied to post-bac programs and got into all the ones that I applied. Believe me there are people like you who have been through what you have been through. A few of them are in my classes now :D. Sometimes we talk about how far away medical school seemed for all of us for different reasons (GPAs, MCAT scores, etc.) but how we never gave up. The post-bac program we all go to has a linkage so successful completion equals acceptance to the medical school for the fall. We are all one semester away from enrolling in medical school. And not only that we all have been interviewed at other schools.

My best piece of advice to you is if medicine is what you really want to do don't give up. Take the rest of your science pre-reqs and maybe even retake some of the courses (if u can especially the D). Then when that is over explore every outlet. Just don't give up. One of my post-bac classmates had a 2.9 GPA when she graduated and she has had interviews at a few schools no one would imagine. Of course you'll be asked about your grades and things like that, but what I've seen is that schools are more focused on the fact that you didn't give up. Of course I'm realistic and know that a 2.4 science GPA makes it hard to walk in the door. But it can definently be overcome. I've been where you are. But once I stopped feeling sorry for myself and did what I needed to do to improve my stats I got where I always wanted to be.

hey guys..i just hope that everyone is enjoying their holiday season..and still staying very optimistic throughout the process..Your stories are all so inspirational and i hope to one day have a medical school acceptance of my own..right now working on raising the GPA so i can apply for a postbac for Fall 2009..the journey has been pretty rough for me..cant blame anyone but myself..i do wish i found this site many moons ago though lol...I am just going to have to keep my head up and to continue my trust in God..:D

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten acceptances this cycle..:love:

Hello everyone and happy holidays!! It feels good to be back on the boards again. I have had a rough time this year being that I lost my brother back and now my mother just passed away. I have just been holding to Gods promises and hanging around my family. I am trying to register for the mcat but have just been dealing with the same ole feeling again. I'm giving myself till tomorrow to make up my mind and its decision time. I have been missing the whole medicine atmosphere since I've been teaching, but at least I still get to teach classes that are medically related. I know things got to work out some how for me and I'm just making sure to keep my confession in line with the WORD!! In the mean time I'm just taking it easy and enjoying my vacation. How are you guys doing?? I really miss talking to you all. :love:

Hello everyone and happy holidays!! It feels good to be back on the boards again. I have had a rough time this year being that I lost my brother back and now my mother just passed away. I have just been holding to Gods promises and hanging around my family. I am trying to register for the mcat but have just been dealing with the same ole feeling again. I'm giving myself till tomorrow to make up my mind and its decision time. I have been missing the whole medicine atmosphere since I've been teaching, but at least I still get to teach classes that are medically related. I know things got to work out some how for me and I'm just making sure to keep my confession in line with the WORD!! In the mean time I'm just taking it easy and enjoying my vacation. How are you guys doing?? I really miss talking to you all. :love:

Hi sistahnik,
It's is great to have you back. My condolences on the loss of your brother and mother. God gives you only as much as you can bear. It's just rough to keep plugging away without loved ones for encouragement, support and fellowship. We are all here for you (as you well know).

Give yourself plenty of time to grieve and to heal. Medical school (and definitely the MCAT) will always be there. Since there is no age limit you can take your time and ease back into your path on your terms.

I will keep you in my Christmas prayers for strength and endurance in spite of your losses. You can take each day as it comes and do one single thing that will get you closer to your goal and master of what you need to ace that MCAT.

We have surely missed you and your spirit around here.

Hi. Currrently a Medical Technologist and planning on retaking courses next fall. Hope to be in Med School by 2013. I am intreseted in Pathology.

Hello everyone hows it going? just wanted to stop in and say hello. Njbmd, thank you so much. I know you guys are right here and I appreciate that. I am actually getting ready to register for the test in a few minutes!! I just want to get back to my normal program so I can say in the normal zone. :D
I hope everyone is having a great season so far. Its about to be a brand new year so I am truly thankful for that much. I will talk to you guys later and have a great evening. :love:

hello all,
New pre-med checking in, thanks for the thread
so cool to see you all here, very encouraging.
I don't even start undergrad until August, but I am sooo excited
I'll be attending school with youth less than half my age, but they will probably be my main tutors...I love the youth!
good luck to you all

Hello Everyone,

I have been visiting and reading posts here for over a year now. I have gotten a lot from everything I have read. I felt that it was time I introduce myself. I am a non-traditional student (married to a wonderful man and we have two beautiful children) who will be applying to medical school this summer. My first hurdle is finishing my degree this May. It has taken 19 years and it has not been easy (going to war, getting extremely ill due to my service, losing my mother to breast cancer, and that is just to name a few). I am pretty excited and the journey though hard has been worth it. On a daily basis I just turn everything over to God, ask for His will and I thank Him. My second hurdle is the MCAT and I start my intense studying this week right along with my last 11 hours of classes. So, if anyone wants to chat MCAT let me know.

I just wanted to make myself known so that I can freely give what I have been given by reading these post. Do not give up on your dreams!!! I have not and I am 38.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

DC was off the hook!! Never have I seen so many people on the Mall! It was outstanding. Everyone was very upbeat and hopeful for the future. I am glad that I was there (+ 3 million other folks).

Hope everyone is doing well. The Inauguration slipped in right after recovering from the New New Year's celebrations. Can't wait to hear that everyone is getting those acceptances.

I can't stop smiling. It was an awesome experience.

Hey everyone!

I was just searching through the SDN forum and I found this thread, so I thought I'd pop in and say hi! I graduated from college in May 2008 with a degree in Bioengineering, and I've finally gotten my act together and will be applying for med school this summer. I was supposed to take the MCAT in April, but I decided to postpone it until May so I could take a trip in March back to my homeland of Nigeria (I know there has to be SOME Nigerians on the SDN!)

I have a question for yall, and I'm not sure if it has been posted elsewhere, but I'm gonna ask anyway. How do you ladies (and gents) feel about applying to med schools as a URM? I feel that I have pretty decent stats and will get a decent/good score on the MCAT and I want these to be the reasons why I get into med school, and not just because I'm a black female. On the other hand, if I desperately want to be a doctor, should it even matter why or how I get in? What are your thoughts?

Hey everyone!

I was just searching through the SDN forum and I found this thread, so I thought I'd pop in and say hi! I graduated from college in May 2008 with a degree in Bioengineering, and I've finally gotten my act together and will be applying for med school this summer. I was supposed to take the MCAT in April, but I decided to postpone it until May so I could take a trip in March back to my homeland of Nigeria (I know there has to be SOME Nigerians on the SDN!)

I have a question for yall, and I'm not sure if it has been posted elsewhere, but I'm gonna ask anyway. How do you ladies (and gents) feel about applying to med schools as a URM? I feel that I have pretty decent stats and will get a decent/good score on the MCAT and I want these to be the reasons why I get into med school, and not just because I'm a black female. On the other hand, if I desperately want to be a doctor, should it even matter why or how I get in? What are your thoughts?
Hey smartwater, welcome to the forums. :)
I wouldn't worry about feeling like you'd get in only because of the URM status. Med schools will not accept a student that they don't honestly feel can get through the curriculum successfully. Just do well on the MCAT and you can be sure that you got yourself into med school.
I am not myself from Nigeria but a couple of my ex's are, and I hope to visit one day. Anyway, good luck with the MCAT and your application!

Hey everyone!
How do you ladies (and gents) feel about applying to med schools as a URM? I feel that I have pretty decent stats and will get a decent/good score on the MCAT and I want these to be the reasons why I get into med school, and not just because I'm a black female. On the other hand, if I desperately want to be a doctor, should it even matter why or how I get in? What are your thoughts?

I'm a black female premed...i'm currently interviewing for medical school. Just to let you know No one can get into medical school " just because they're a black female". You definitely need to research this process alot more. Maybe race will help URM a little but thats it...If you are URM with the best stats and no personality you will get rejected just like anyone else. However If you are a URM with a well rounded application that is lacking in only one area, you might still have a shot if you have a good interview.
Medical Schools ADCOM's look at the whole package...not just race/ grades/ sex/ Mcats/ gpa/ ECA/ PS....They look at the combination.

As for how I feel...I feel just like any other candidate who has to work for that acceptance my skin color will not do the work for me...Don't make the mistake of thinking anything will give u a shoe in...Just do your best and hope it's good enough.

It's been a long time. I hope everyone is finding the semester going along well. Right now, we are gearing up for Match Day and then for release of our acceptances at one school and our final acceptances at the other school. After that, it preparation for orientation which is always great fun.

Hope the interviews are done and that everyone hears good news soon.

Hello Ladies,

It has been a long time! I've been very busy -- I'm writing my thesis!!! And my first publication:) All very exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I can't say I have a healthy work/life balance these days, however I have decided to get off the beaten track after my PhD. Travel a bit, write a bit and explore myself outside of academia. I figure medical school can wait another year since I've taken 5 years to finish my PhD :p I'm in no hurry to rush down the road -- my mindset has shifted and it's not about how old I will be when I finish. All of that seems immaterial when pursuing our dreams!

Positive vibes to all. Hello njbmd!

:D Im new here and glad to see how many other girls are out there but i do have some questions concerning my journey to med school. Im a freshman and im trying to get everything in order and i am wondering if it is wise to take the mcat at the end of my sophomore year. I know that im about to to start volunteering this fall at a hospital and i was jux wondering exactly what should i be doing right now to ensure that i am on the right track i am transferring to USC columbia in the fall bc the school im at sucks for my major and im jux tryna make it so i can be happy! Pre-med is no joke! Help a sistah out!:confused:

Hello Ladies,

It has been a long time! I've been very busy -- I'm writing my thesis!!! And my first publication:) All very exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I can't say I have a healthy work/life balance these days, however I have decided to get off the beaten track after my PhD. Travel a bit, write a bit and explore myself outside of academia. I figure medical school can wait another year since I've taken 5 years to finish my PhD :p I'm in no hurry to rush down the road -- my mindset has shifted and it's not about how old I will be when I finish. All of that seems immaterial when pursuing our dreams!

Positive vibes to all. Hello njbmd!

Absolutely great to hear that the thesis is on track! What an accomplishment for you. You are absolutely correct in that medical school will always be there. Remember, I was 45 when I started medical school and thus, I had loads of experience. It all works out in the end and you will be so happy that you took your time.

:D Im new here and glad to see how many other girls are out there but i do have some questions concerning my journey to med school. Im a freshman and im trying to get everything in order and i am wondering if it is wise to take the mcat at the end of my sophomore year. I know that im about to to start volunteering this fall at a hospital and i was jux wondering exactly what should i be doing right now to ensure that i am on the right track i am transferring to USC columbia in the fall bc the school im at sucks for my major and im jux tryna make it so i can be happy! Pre-med is no joke! Help a sistah out!:confused:

You can take the Medical College Admissions Test at the end of your sophomore year but be sure you are well-prepared. You also don't want to take that test more than once and thus even though you will have completed your courses, you NEED some prep time in order to do well. Most people need several months (especially if they are still attending school). Give the MCAT plenty of prep time and don't rush things. (Don't wait too late either).

ok thanx so many people were saying to take it twice thanx for the info so would the wise thing to do be go wit Kaplan and jux prepare that way with the practice mcat and online courses they offer? I really dont want to fail that test i would jux die thats the only thing im nervous about to be honest!

Good luck to all of you. We need more African-Americans in medicine, and particularly at UCSF. Don't forget to apply to UCSF in California.

I am not black, but I am female, and I have noticed that my bio class last quarter had a bunch of post-bac students who all happened to be black females (I could tell who the post-bac's were because the prof told me anyone who asked a question every 10 minutes was a post-bac, haha). Assuming they have the good luck we all deserve, OUCOM's class of 2014 will have them in it.

I wonder if there is something about OUCOM's post-bac program that is especially friendly to black females? Just thought I'd toss that info into this thread in case anyone is looking for it.

I am not black, but I am female, and I have noticed that my bio class last quarter had a bunch of post-bac students who all happened to be black females (I could tell who the post-bac's were because the prof told me anyone who asked a question every 10 minutes was a post-bac, haha). Assuming they have the good luck we all deserve, OUCOM's class of 2014 will have them in it.

I wonder if there is something about OUCOM's post-bac program that is especially friendly to black females? Just thought I'd toss that info into this thread in case anyone is looking for it.

Don't go to your school but

BLACK FEMALE POST-BACC HERE!!

Why don't you ask your classmates? It would seem that they would be a direct source of information rather than posting in a thread on a message board. :confused:

Hey Medactar! Glad to have you posting in our positive thread and rock that post bacc!:thumbup: