any buffalo students leaving good apt.?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by xkurkox, Apr 24, 2004.

1. xkurkox

xkurkox Member
    7+ Year Member

please let me know if any of you are graduating and leaving apt close to school. im looking for a big studio or a one bedroom.
    thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Hey xkurkox,

HERE! :D

Even though you are looking for a studio or 1bdrm, maybe I can convince you to take a look at my 2-bdrm? I'm going to vacate sometime in mid-May. If you'd like a tour let me know! My apartment is pretty conveniently located I think:

- 1.5 miles from Squire Hall. Takes 15 minutes max from engine startup to shutdown to get there.

- 1 mile from the trailhead of the Amherst/Tonawanda/Erie Canal bike trail at the UB North Campus.

- 1 mile from the Niagara Falls Boulevard shopping district, which has a mall and supermarkets like Tops and Wegmans and a Citibank too.

- 4 blocks from the entrance to the I-290 highway-- 15 minute drive to the Erie County Medical Center, 20 minutes to Buffalo General and Children's Hospital (these are the places where you will be doing clinical rotations).

- 4 blocks from a strip mall with a convenience store, laundromat, dry cleaners, pharmacy, and a Chinese food place. :D

Unlike the apartments around the school (the neighborhood there is kind of run-down IMHO), mine is in Amherst-- An affluent neighborhood which is neatly kempt and quiet.

The rent for my 2-bedroom apartment is $570/mo. (utilities are separate), and the place is wired for cable modem broadband internet (Adelphia). And I'm throwing in about $1000 worth of furniture that I don't want to go to the trouble of carting back to NYC, including:

- Dinner table and 3 chairs

- Wooden coffee table with glass panels and two matching endtables

- L-shaped computer desk

- Wooden 3-tier bookshelf

- Convertible futon

- 20" TV set.

Let me know if you are interested! Send me an email at tomhong-at-buffalo-dot-edu or a pm here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dentalist

Dentalist carpe diem
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    $570 / month for 2bd??? Wow.. that sounds like a good deal..
    Here in Los Angeles.. 2bd = around $2000 / month

4. UBTom

10+ Year Member

One of the reasons why I came up to Buffalo for D-school! Cost of living up here is CHEAP. I can live like a king on just $1K/month. :D

5. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Haha. The word "studio" is nonexistent in Buffalo. I don't know anyone who lives in one b/c like Tom described, apartments with real bedrroms are so cheap around here.

That said, Tom's apartment is a good deal and I can attest to everything he said about the neighborhood and driving distances b/c I live in the same area. If you want a 1 bedroom, I can do some searching in school on Monday and see if there are any still available...

Please, whatever you do, come here with a car. This is not a walk-friendly city and public transportation here blows. You will go crazy if you don't have one, a car is really considered a necessity of life around here.

6. Dentalist

Dentalist carpe diem
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UBTom,

How hard is it to get into buffalo from out-of-state? Also, is it possible for dental students to get NY residency?

7. xkurkox

xkurkox Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Tom but i really dont need a two bedroom. Griffin what do you mean check if any are still available? Good apt go that fast? I was thinking of coming up mid May to look for a place for Aug.

8. UBTom

10+ Year Member

to Dentalist:

For each class, UB has seats for about 15 out-of-staters including Canadians out of a total pool of around 800 applicants (includes both NYers and non-NYers). If you are a U.S. citizen you can get in-state tuition after one year.

HTH!

to xkurkox:

My offer stands until May 20, after which I will have to toss my furniture. It can't hurt to drop by take a look if you happen to be in the area, and I can guarantee you my place is much better than those single-room apts in the immediate area around the school. Frankly the area around the school is rather seedy.

HTH!

9. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I meant I'll check and see if any seniors who are moving out of 1 bedroom apartments still have their places available. If you come up in May to look, you'll definitely find something, it's not hard to find housing around here. And actually, if you come in mid-May, you should check Tom's place out too. Many dental students live in an apartment complex here called "Boulevard Towers" which are as expensive as Tom's place for just a 1 bedroom.

The area around school (the Buffalo part of town) is sketch. I'd recommend living in Amherst. It's safer and it's where all the stores and life is anyways. Everyone commutes to school anyways, there is no walking except from your spot in the parking lot to the door of the dental school.

Tom don't throw your stuff out yet, I know a first year who could be interested in some of your furniture and is looking for stuff like desks and bookshelves.

10. UBTom

10+ Year Member

Hey Classmate,

Sure, I'll hang onto it for a while. If I can't get someone to take over my lease by May 20, I'll work out something with your friend. Thing is, I'm giving this stuff away free only if the person is willing to take over my lease. Otherwise I'd have to ask for at least some nominal compensation.

LOL, who could have known that graduation is as much a headache as starting dental school? :D

11. Dentalist

Dentalist carpe diem
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UBTOM,

Residency after a year? Sweet
    What do you think are pros/cons of Buffalo and Stony Brook?
    Thank you.

12. UBTom

10+ Year Member

Well, since you are an out-of-stater, I guess the Buffalo vs. Stony question would be moot for you. Stony takes VERY few out-of-staters. Unless you got stellar stats, your chances would be rather minimal for getting into Stony.

HTH.

13. xkurkox

xkurkox Member
    7+ Year Member

hey if i come up looking for a place mid May can i get a lease for Aug?

14. UBTom

10+ Year Member

By all means, drop by if you are in the neighborhood. Best if you can get up here sometime early in the week of May 10 and check out all the other places too. Have a look around, see if you like/dislike what you see, and we'll work out what to do with the lease arrangements if you like what you see.

I'll also give you a driving tour of where all the places are (the bike trail, the shopping district, maybe even the routes to the hospitals where you will be doing the rotations if you want).

Hopefully I will make a good impression. (no alginate involved.) :D

Let me know when you will be up here.

HTH!

15. xkurkox

xkurkox Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the offer Tom. Im going to be in Prague till May 8th. It would be nice to get a tour from someone with your knowledge. But if your not free when i come up its ok cause i have some family friends in Buffalo who would show me around.

16. UBTom

10+ Year Member

Yep, May 8th is my graduation day and any time after that before May 20 is fine.

If you are going to be in the area, just shoot me an email beforehand.

HTH!