Any Cage Fighting Premeds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bawer234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I KNOW I'm not the only one here. Even if you're just into other forms of martial arts like Karate, Kickboxing, Wrestling, Judo, ect.

:scared:I kinda get the feeling its a taboo thing to be interested in combat sports and to want to help and heal others at the same time.:scared:

Anyway, make yourselves known!

Members don't see this ad.

Done a year of BJJ when I lived in Chicago. I'm thinking of starting Judo this summer. Striking arts ain't my thing.

been doing TKD since i was 8, starting BJJ this summer, and started pencak silat about 2 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there are a couple of us in med school. I'm an MMA guy (MT & no-gi grappling), and I know of one other guy in my class who does some thai boxing. It's funny you mentioned the hurting/healing thing. Alot of people asked me the same thing when I was starting med school. Be strict with your time management and try to stick with your training during med school!

I've been doing taekwondo pretty hardcore for the last 4 years :) And there's nothing taboo about it really! I mean, doing martial arts makes you very in tune with your body and its limits, and it gives you confidence. And in TKD, we preach a lot of Courtesy and respect, which is enforced with push ups and such :) Does wonders for your manners, punctuality, and respect for others which won't hurt when it comes to bedside manner.

I'm psyched that the med school I'm going to is connected to its undergrad, cause it means more martial arts clubs within reach! And access to a gym. woot!

I think people who enjoy watching cage fighting have something wrong with them. It is a sick thing to be entertained by or enjoy that brutality. Boxing and MA are sports and art forms. There is nothing tasteful about cutting off another person circulation/breathing while punching them in the face at a rapid pace.

I think people who enjoy watching cage fighting have something wrong with them. It is a sick thing to be entertained by or enjoy that brutality. Boxing and MA are sports and art forms. There is nothing tasteful about cutting off another person circulation/breathing while punching them in the face at a rapid pace.

Actually, the rate of injury in the UFC is far lower than the NFL. You consider boxing an art form? The entire sport of boxing is designed to determine who can cause a concussion the fastest. It's far safer to be submitted than knocked-out.

Typical. Uneducated. Myopic.

People said the same thing about boxing; what you call a art form. The old sweet science involves actively attempting to make your opponent lose consciousness by repeated blows to the head. Deaths are not even close to unheard of in boxing.
There has been one sanctioned death in MMA.

I used to be a huge boxing fan, but lost interest with the arrival of Don King and the like. Corruption ruined the sport.

Hopefully you'll educate yourself in the future instead of passing judgment on others. Turns out, some people think all combat sports are disgusting, but you wouldn't want someone saying that to you.

As for the OP.
I've been doing no-gi grappling for a few years. I started boxing a little, but decided it's not worth the risk.
Retinal damage and even the small possibility of the wrong brain injury is too much for me.
Puss? Maybe. But hell, I have an interest in surgery and am even wondering when I'm going to break a finger and start questioning grappling.

Hmm. dont participate in it but love watching it. Saw the last UFC PPV fight at Hooters with a capacity crowd, great atmosphere

I did Judo for 3 years and have a black belt. I've been doing BJJ for almost 2 years now and fought one MMA match, but now I just focus on grappling competition since I enjoy it more. I'm going down to LA and competing at the Mundials in 3 weeks... I can't wait!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing BJJ in NOLA. I suck at it, but I´m gonna keep trying. Class is a weird mix: most represented population is military guys, second most represented population is medical professionals/students. Something about the sport attracts EMTs and Med Students.

I used to be a huge boxing fan, but lost interest with the arrival of Don King and the like. Corruption ruined the sport.

Yeah I even remember the moment I stopped caring. Remember when the first Lewis-Hollyfield fight, when Lewis lost on a split decision even though EVERYONE in the rest of the world had him 10 points ahead? That was it for me.

Though I did tune back in briefly for the Gatti-Ward fights.

Im a purple belt in jiu jitsu, and brown belt in judo, done some muay thai, kyokushinkai karate, and mma training also, but I dont fight nor do I plan to anytime soon. Hoping to send out my primarys for both osteopathic allopathic schools (for 2009) as soon as possible.
Interestingly we have a woman in our no-gi classes who trains pretty seriously and is an MD (OB/GYN).

Muay Thai and San Shou since I was young.

How do you guys find time to train?

I did Tae Kwon Do, Ho Shin, and Gum Do for about 5 years, although I've been out of it for a while. I'd like to start training again, but who knows if I'll have the time once school starts.

been doing TKD since i was 8, starting BJJ this summer, and started pencak silat about 2 years ago.

I've been doing taekwondo pretty hardcore for the last 4 years :) And there's nothing taboo about it really! I mean, doing martial arts makes you very in tune with your body and its limits, and it gives you confidence. And in TKD, we preach a lot of Courtesy and respect, which is enforced with push ups and such :) Does wonders for your manners, punctuality, and respect for others which won't hurt when it comes to bedside manner.

I'm psyched that the med school I'm going to is connected to its undergrad, cause it means more martial arts clubs within reach! And access to a gym. woot!

I did Tae Kwon Do,

NWS for language!

Sorry TKD guys, I couldn't help it.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXaR4wlGu3s[/YOUTUBE]

Good to know that there are others out there. My girlfriend is premed and she just doesn't understand how I can enjoy combat sports and want to be a doctor at the same time.

Unfortunately, these are the types of people that I afraid of encountering in medical school next year...I literally couldn't have come up with a more stereotypical response and attitude. The part about the "art" was CLASSIC :laugh::laugh::laugh:

So far I've had 2 mma fights. I wrestled in highschool and have been doing Kick boxing and bjj for about a year and half. I love the sports but I just don't see the possibility of continuing to train in medical school. Im just one of those people who has to go everday or not at all. If I can't train seriously, towards a goal, then I don't find the time. Hopefully I'm wrong about this...maybe I can start the very first MMA club in a Med School!!!!!

Dr. Robert Rey, one of the plastic surgeons on Dr. 90210 seems to be an avid fan and active participant in the martial arts.

Dude, you contradicted yourself so much in that post.... how can you make boxing the exception rofl? Boxing is the most brutal... with your aim being to knock the other person unconscious.

I can understand if you think all forms of combat are violent (including karate). That's a sentiment shared by a lot of people. But making exceptions for boxing, lol?

Also to the OP: The guys interviewing you are probably more "old-fashioned." So be careful about how you explain your MMA experience.

i suppose you already know who Carlos Newton is? former UFC welterweight champ who is also enrolled in medical school. in fact he might already be finished

Also to the OP: The guys interviewing you are probably more "old-fashioned." So be careful about how you explain your MMA experience.

I agree. I decided to refer to my cage fighting as just "martial arts" in the interviews.

i suppose you already know who Carlos Newton is? former UFC welterweight champ who is also enrolled in medical school. in fact he might already be finished

Apparently he is studying geriatrics but I couldn't find out where...his gf is in medical school.

Boxing is only an art form in the movies.

On TV it's a vulgar sport that has as much art to it as stock-car racing, bowling, and Roller Derby.

Typical. Uneducated. Myopic.

People said the same thing about boxing; what you call a art form. The old sweet science involves actively attempting to make your opponent lose consciousness by repeated blows to the head. Deaths are not even close to unheard of in boxing.
There has been one sanctioned death in MMA.

Hopefully you'll educate yourself in the future instead of passing judgment on others. Turns out, some people think all combat sports are disgusting, but you wouldn't want someone saying that to you.

I think most folks can see the beauty of the martial arts and boxing in its pure form. And appreciate it for its utility.
:scared:I kinda get the feeling its a taboo thing to be interested in combat sports and to want to help and heal others at the same time.:scared:
... that said, when people refer to it as "combat sports" I start to get an impression of the sort of folks who are a little too into paintball and whatnot. The folks who buy lots of the tee-shirts and baseball caps and whatnot.

I don't think your interest in "competiive martial arts" will raise any eyebrows, but talk of "combat sports" just might. It sounds like little boys playing soldier. Nothing personal, just giving an outsider's perspective.

Boxing is only an art form in the movies.

On TV it's a vulgar sport that has as much art to it as stock-car racing, bowling, and Roller Derby.

Like I said, all combat sports will have their detractors. I for one think that combat sports are like a chess match.
MMA attracts me for the intricacies involved. One inch wrong and your base is off, leverage is wrong, you get thrown.
One inch wrong and your arm bar doesn't work, the guy slips out and you lose.
One inch wrong and your don't find the hole, your punch slips off the guys glove.
One inch right and you can end the fight in seconds.

It's an amazing thing to see and takes much skills. I understand those that don't have interest in combat sports, but I don't agree in the slightest.

And for fun...you can't deny the pure skills this sport takes:
ccaxekick.gif

andersondodging.gif

Rolling-OmaPlata.gif

Like I said, all combat sports will have their detractors. I for one think that combat sports are like a chess match.
MMA attracts me for the intricacies involved. One inch wrong and your base is off, leverage is wrong, you get thrown.
One inch wrong and your arm bar doesn't work, the guy slips out and you lose.
One inch wrong and your don't find the hole, your punch slips off the guys glove.
One inch right and you can end the fight in seconds.

It's an amazing thing to see and takes much skills. I understand those that don't have interest in combat sports, but I don't agree in the slightest.

And for fun...you can't deny the pure skills this sport takes:
ccaxekick.gif

andersondodging.gif

Rolling-OmaPlata.gif

The Cro-cop/Mark Hunt is pretty cool. Who are is the fighter in the bottom vid? I think I wanna try that rolling oma palata...or reverse oma palata...what ever it is if f***ing bad @ss.

What a sweet thread. I train in Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, and Krav (although not MMA). The skill level needed to succeed is through the roof and every mistake you make is magnified so much more than any other sport. For any doubters, try rolling with someone for 5 minutes straight. It's like a chess match that gets progressively harder and harder.

The Cro-cop/Mark Hunt is pretty cool. Who are is the fighter in the bottom vid? I think I wanna try that rolling oma palata...or reverse oma palata...what ever it is if f***ing bad @ss.

Pretty sure its frank mir, I actually pulled that omo plata off this morning on a judo guy i was rolling with but he went for a single from the knees, not standing.

Good to know that there are others out there. My girlfriend is premed and she just doesn't understand how I can enjoy combat sports and want to be a doctor at the same time.

Unfortunately, these are the types of people that I afraid of encountering in medical school next year...I literally couldn't have come up with a more stereotypical response and attitude. The part about the "art" was CLASSIC :laugh::laugh::laugh:

So far I've had 2 mma fights. I wrestled in highschool and have been doing Kick boxing and bjj for about a year and half. I love the sports but I just don't see the possibility of continuing to train in medical school. Im just one of those people who has to go everday or not at all. If I can't train seriously, towards a goal, then I don't find the time. Hopefully I'm wrong about this...maybe I can start the very first MMA club in a Med School!!!!!
Try to make an effort to schedule in your training once you have settled into classes after the first couple months. I took several months off when I started first year, but after a couple months I missed MMA too much. I began training again. I was forced to accomplish all my studying for the day by 7:30pm so that I could go train at night. It motivated me all throughout the day to work hard to get my goals done by that time every night. My grades actually went up when I started training MMA again! Be wise with your time management and you can do it. Cut out TV, lazing around, etc. Then again, I rarely ever went to class.

Wow, obviously you know nothing about the sport. I don't think it's even possible to choke someone at the same time as punching them at a rapid pace. (Maybe triangle while punching with one hand??)

I agree. I decided to refer to my cage fighting as just "martial arts" in the interviews.
Wise decision. I usually don't mention anything about martial arts to anyone about my school unless they ask me. Occasionally, it is unavoidable due to facial bruising, scratches, etc. I always got the feeling that teachers / deans wouldn't exactly approve of it; especially since I was applying for a pre-doctoral fellowship. Ironically, I never mention anything about med school while training MMA unless asked about it either. Most of the guys are blue collar or young and I don't wanna sound like a braggart.

Try to make an effort to schedule in your training once you have settled into classes after the first couple months. I took several months off when I started first year, but after a couple months I missed MMA too much. I began training again. I was forced to accomplish all my studying for the day by 7:30pm so that I could go train at night. It motivated me all throughout the day to work hard to get my goals done by that time every night. My grades actually went up when I started training MMA again! Be wise with your time management and you can do it. Cut out TV, lazing around, etc. Then again, I rarely ever went to class.

I was definitely considering this..

If I dont find a way to train I see myself unavoidably shadow boxing in a dark corner of the library at 11pm while people pass by wondering how the "psycho"-med student got it.

Wise decision. I usually don't mention anything about martial arts to anyone about my school unless they ask me. Occasionally, it is unavoidable due to facial bruising, scratches, etc. I always got the feeling that teachers / deans wouldn't exactly approve of it; especially since I was applying for a pre-doctoral fellowship. Ironically, I never mention anything about med school while training MMA unless asked about it either. Most of the guys are blue collar or young and I don't wanna sound like a braggart.

Ya I always have some kind of bruise around the outside of my left knee from low kicks or scrathces on my arms, neck, face or body from the velcro on gloves and shin pads. My gf hates it everytime i come home with a new mark. I know what you mean about the blue collar guys. Most people at my gym are but there are actually a good amount of people working on their masters/Ph.D's...they wanted to give me the nick-name "the doctor" for my last fight but I thought it was a bit too much.

I've competed in MMA in the past; but I'm mostly into judo now.

I've competed in MMA in the past; but I'm mostly into judo now.

Nice, and I saw it wa a pro fight. That's tough stuff, I wouldn't do a pro-fight w/ out any experience. I'd love to try out judo but it looks so much different from traditional collegiate wrestling. Im used to keeping my wieght low and wearing a singlet. When ever I try takedowns in bjj, its a lot harder because my opponent always grabs my gi and sleeves. I'd like to try it out though.

i think if it were possible to enter some amateur competition. like where you fight guys of your own weight mma style and get paid a certain amount. i might be tempted. but probably wouldnt. i aint a ******. concussion/broken nose from boxing sucks. but in mma if you lose, you get kneed in the jaw. so unless you're one of the people who never loses it's better to avoid fighitng.

i think if it were possible to enter some amateur competition. like where you fight guys of your own weight mma style and get paid a certain amount. i might be tempted. but probably wouldnt. i aint a ******. concussion/broken nose from boxing sucks. but in mma if you lose, you get kneed in the jaw. so unless you're one of the people who never loses it's better to avoid fighitng.

Ametuer rarely get paid...unless its under the table. I've never heard of an open wieght fight unless it was in a professional organization. MMA operates on weight classes just like boxing and wrestling. A broken nose is a broken nose, whether its from a knee or a fist. It does feel good but its really not as bad as you'd think.

Ametuer rarely get paid...unless its under the table. I've never heard of an open wieght fight unless it was in a professional organization. MMA operates on weight classes just like boxing and wrestling. A broken nose is a broken nose, whether its from a knee or a fist. It does feel good but its really not as bad as you'd think.
no i think it really sucks to lose.. i mean nothing wrong with losing in a competition(rowing untill you die and still placing last is all right by me) but to get a busted face for your effort. i'd need to get paid like mike tyson...

no i think it really sucks to lose.. i mean nothing wrong with losing in a competition(rowing untill you die and still placing last is all right by me) but to get a busted face for your effort. i'd need to get paid like mike tyson...

Haha YES! I agree with you on that point...unfortunately this sport has some of the "lowest-lows" when you lose...its a really crappy feeling.

Ya I always have some kind of bruise around the outside of my left knee from low kicks or scrathces on my arms, neck, face or body from the velcro on gloves and shin pads. My gf hates it everytime i come home with a new mark. I know what you mean about the blue collar guys. Most people at my gym are but there are actually a good amount of people working on their masters/Ph.D's...they wanted to give me the nick-name "the doctor" for my last fight but I thought it was a bit too much.
LOL! I swear I get more scratches on my face from the velcro on the gloves than I do from actually getting hit with the gloves! So true!

Nothing is worse than elbows though. We never spar with elbows, but every once in a while I get hit with one accidentally. They cut ya open so easily and/or bust ya up since the force is so concentrated.

:laugh: In my one and only MMA fight, I ended up with a concussion 30 seconds into the fight, a broken nose and the win, while the other guy ended up with a broken arm. Now I just stick to my BJJ tournaments - no money in it, but I prefer the technicality of the sport much more.

LOL! I swear I get more scratches on my face from the velcro on the gloves than I do from actually getting hit with the gloves! So true!

Nothing is worse than elbows though. We never spar with elbows, but every once in a while I get hit with one accidentally. They cut ya open so easily and/or bust ya up since the force is so concentrated.

Ya we don't use elbows ethier. A few days ago I was sparring with one of my partners who has a fight on May 31st. He shot in for a double leg right when I was throwing my high 10...His face met my knee flush and he was KOed for a good 4 or 5 seconds...it wasn't pretty and the worst part is taht he had a job interview the next day. I saw him the next day and he's got a lot of swelling above the bridge of his nose (might be broken) and two black eyes.

:laugh: In my one and only MMA fight, I ended up with a concussion 30 seconds into the fight, a broken nose and the win, while the other guy ended up with a broken arm. Now I just stick to my BJJ tournaments - no money in it, but I prefer the technicality of the sport much more.

That sounds like a pretty intense fight...what wieght did you fight at? Judging by the injuries its sounds like you were both pretty decent in size. What arm lock did you win the fight with?

I'm very impressed with this thread. makes me feel like a wimp. i think this is a really good thing to have on your applications to medical school because it shows a certain amount of discipline and a geniune respect for pain. if you showcase the skills in just the reight way, i think these skills will really play out nicely for you during the process... and no, don't just knock the other applicants out.

Ha sorry buddy but almost all girls are like that... we all love fuzzy little bunnies and want to do good in the world(the major reason for choosing medicine)

Bill O'Reilly is that you?

Well, I love watching and learning about MMA. My fiance trains at Jackson's gym here in Albuquerque, and he is always showing me awesome submissions. Of course, I am the weakest person you'll ever meet, but I think MMA takes intense training and superb skills. :)