Any California Residents hear from NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any CA residents got interviews from NYU?
I'm surprised I haven't heard from this school at all.

Members don't see this ad.

briansle said:

nope, i am waiting too

Members don't see this ad :)
briansle said:

I heard if you are in CA there is a good chance you'll get accepted without an interview invite. With the number of applicants they get I think they are interviewing less and less people each year. So I think many of us on the west coast will just get an acceptance letter in the mail in December.

rajmahal2004 said:
I heard if you are in CA there is a good chance you'll get accepted without an interview invite. With the number of applicants they get I think they are interviewing less and less people each year. So I think many of us on the west coast will just get an acceptance letter in the mail in December.

You really think so? I think it might be the other way around.

If your from NY they'll accept you without an interview since the probability that you will want to stay in your home-state and attend NYU is great.

But for people in CA they probably know you're using NYU as a back-up so they'll force you to do an interview to see who from the West-Coast truly wants to go to their school. I mean if you got accepted to UCLA, UCSF, UOP, or USC would you want to leave your family and CA?

Also I believe NYU starts the majority of their interviews after DEC1 because they realize alot of applicants are using their school as a backup. So once the top-tier students get accepted to their schools of choice on Dec1, NYU can then cut down on the number of apps they need to interview.

briansle said:
You really think so? I think it might be the other way around.

If your from NY they'll accept you without an interview since the probability that you will want to stay in your home-state and attend NYU is great.

But for people in CA they probably know you're using NYU as a back-up so they'll force you to do an interview to see who from the West-Coast truly wants to go to their school. I mean if you got accepted to UCLA, UCSF, UOP, or USC would you want to leave your family and CA?

Also I believe NYU starts the majority of their interviews after DEC1 because they realize alot of applicants are using their school as a backup. So once the top-tier students get accepted to their schools of choice on Dec1, NYU can then cut down on the number of apps they need to interview.

smart thinking

jeanniebluebird said:
dont worry, im a new york resident and i JUST heard from them today. I think maybe they just started sending out interviews later than most schools.

you heard from a school on a sunday? hmph....

TimR said:
you heard from a school on a sunday? hmph....

Today is Sunday. She posted yesterday, so that would make it Saturday. :thumbup:

rajmahal2004 said:

hey raj,

where did you hear this from? I hope your right, it would save me alot of money. But then again, visiting NYC would be a nice break for me.

I hear its really racist in NYC. A friend of mine, went over there recently and he said, "I've never been called chink so many times in my life." When I asked him why and who was calling him that, he said mainly old white ladies while he was crossing streets. That image cracked me up. :laugh:

Weird, I always though NYC was a liberal and understanding place. I'm sure glad I live in SoCal, no ethnic majority here. - its a rare and beautiful thing.

im in a strange situation. i applied to nyu last year, and was rejected. but they offered to waive my application fee for reconsideration this year. but i haven't heard anything else from them. anyone else in the same boat?

food4thots said:
im in a strange situation. i applied to nyu last year, and was rejected. but they offered to waive my application fee for reconsideration this year. but i haven't heard anything else from them. anyone else in the same boat?

do mind if i asked you what your stats were?

just curious if i stand a chance.

thanks

21/21/16 round 3.0 gpa

food4thots said:
21/21/16 round 3.0 gpa

wow good DAT scores.

I guess its really tough.
What have you done within a year to improve your stats? I might face the situation as you.

food4thots said:
21/21/16 round 3.0 gpa

When did you apply last year? Your DAT is above average for NYU...and GPA a little below. I don't think your stats are problematic.

yeah, people always ask me the same.. i really don't know why, but oh well..

brianle, how did i improve?

well i took the DAT's over again. got 21/20/20 and i am in a postbac taking upper-div sci courses. i was not a science major, previously. so i hope that will help. im also doing research, and volunteering soon.

if i don't get in this year.. i don't really know wat to do.

I am in similar situation. Last year I didn't get into NYU with the following scores:

DAT: 22/20/19
GPA: 2.8

Retook the DAT this year and got 26/25/24. They said my app was under review before I sent the app fee. I think if you apply twice, they don't charge you again.

I heard from a reliable source that with the number of applicants, some admissions people will throw out an app if the GPA is under 3.0. Other reviewers will skim the app before they do so. However I find it hard to believe that they won't review my whole application given my scores.

I have a feeling a lot of us from California will get in without interviews to save us some money.

rajmahal2004 said:
I am in similar situation. Last year I didn't get into NYU with the following scores:

DAT: 22/20/19
GPA: 2.8

Retook the DAT this year and got 26/25/24. They said my app was under review before I sent the app fee. I think if you apply twice, they don't charge you again.

I heard from a reliable source that with the number of applicants, some admissions people will throw out an app if the GPA is under 3.0. Other reviewers will skim the app before they do so. However I find it hard to believe that they won't review my whole application given my scores.

I have a feeling a lot of us from California will get in without interviews to save us some money.

I hope you're right. I will be happy knowing I'll get into at least one school.

I was invited for an interview at NYU and I am from Cal :thumbup:

I am from NY and my interview will be on the coming Monday. Anybody else at the same day? When I asked, they told me only two students booked til last Thursday. And, last Friday's interview has only 4 students.
It seems they just started the game or they do not interview a lot or they do not care about the interview.
Actually, they rejected me directly last year with same stat, however, I submitted my app to AADSAS on Dec. 1. last year.
Maybe they just think, they should give me a chance because I applied again so they want to see me before they made the final decision. :)
For most good students they won't interview them and for really low stat students eitherl.
They did not remove my app fee this year. :(

NA4242 said:
I was invited for an interview at NYU and I am from Cal :thumbup: