Any Canadian Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Z

znl343

I was just wondering if there are any other Canadian students applying for DPM programs this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if there are any other Canadian students applying for DPM programs this year?

I am from Ontario, starting at Scholl in the Fall. You??

From alberta, in school at usask.

My last interview is at ocpm on march 16th. Then I'll decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
From alberta, in school at usask.

My last interview is at ocpm on march 16th. Then I'll decide.

Did you interview at DMU? In my class the three Canadians are all from Alberta! Maybe we can take over slowly... one... by... one... :p

(I can say this without fear of being revealed, as I figure not many people will read this thread anyway because it's about Canadians! :laugh:)

No I didnt interview at DMU.

How was it like adjusting to life in the states? I heard that our credit ratings/driving records etc. dont transfer with us into the states!!?!?!

No I didnt interview at DMU.

How was it like adjusting to life in the states? I heard that our credit ratings/driving records etc. dont transfer with us into the states!!?!?!

Adjusting has been fine so far! Of course there are differences (I bring a bunch of all my favorite snack foods - chocolates especially - with me every time I come back, or if somebody visits me I get them to bring me stuff! :p), but overall it really isn't that different. The money literally smells bad here, and it's not as pretty-colored.... haha

Hopefully your future school will be better than mine in terms of actually getting the paperwork to you (I-20) that allows you to cross the border. I had to basically track down the people to do that for me myself, so that was kind of stressful. One guy in my class got his I-20 form the day before his flight or something like that.

Yeah, the credit ratings didn't transfer. I'm not even sure about driving yet because I don't drive here and I have never looked into that. For a cell phone, because my credit didn't transfer, I had to pay some money up front. Credit card was a bit more difficult to get too. I basically had to pay the amount of money I want as my limit beforehand.

...And of course there are always those people who like making fun of the Canadians... but it's all in good fun of course! :)

Adjusting has been fine so far! Of course there are differences (I bring a bunch of all my favorite snack foods - chocolates especially - with me every time I come back, or if somebody visits me I get them to bring me stuff! :p), but overall it really isn't that different. The money literally smells bad here, and it's not as pretty-colored.... haha

Hopefully your future school will be better than mine in terms of actually getting the paperwork to you (I-20) that allows you to cross the border. I had to basically track down the people to do that for me myself, so that was kind of stressful. One guy in my class got his I-20 form the day before his flight or something like that.

Yeah, the credit ratings didn't transfer. I'm not even sure about driving yet because I don't drive here and I have never looked into that. For a cell phone, because my credit didn't transfer, I had to pay some money up front. Credit card was a bit more difficult to get too. I basically had to pay the amount of money I want as my limit beforehand.

...And of course there are always those people who like making fun of the Canadians... but it's all in good fun of course! :)

Its b/c Candian beer is like moonshine. Heck yeah!!!!!!!

So far i have heard of the pre-paid cell phone and the having to do the drivers test again. Starting off building credit again will be a pain in the start too. I wonder if there is anyway around that eh? :D

So far i have heard of the pre-paid cell phone and the having to do the drivers test again. Starting off building credit again will be a pain in the start too. I wonder if there is anyway around that eh? :D

oh no... you just said "eh"!! way to perpetuate the stereotype!!!

haha i don't think there is any way around it. i really hope i don't have to do a driver's test again.....

where in alberta are you from?

Yeah i figured i should start with the stereotypes. I guess it doesnt help that i am about to watch HNIC :)

I am really nervous about the srviers test too. My friends who had to retake it said it was joke but I am still nervous.

I am from Calgary what about you?

haha i had to think about what HNIC was for a second - i think i've been here for too long already!

i'm from edmonton. looks like i can't respond to your messages anymore given we are now automatically arch enemies!

are you thinking of practicing in canada after you are finished? i honestly still don't know what i'm going to do...

Forgetting HNIC - now you have me worried about moving down there haha.

I am not sure where i want to practice once i graduate (i have to get in first). From the brief research i have done it seems as though the scope of practice and resulting salary are both greater in the states. With the little research i have done as of right now i would say either in western canada (BC or alberta) or NW USA (wash/oreg). But I definetly have a lot of research to do on that aspect of things.

Edit: I forgot to ask you or anyone else has dealt with MDManagement here in Canada. I know they support cdn students in med school in the states, but what about cdn students in dpm programs? I will call them soon but i just thought i would ask on here if anyone else has experience with them already.

Forgetting HNIC - now you have me worried about moving down there haha.

I am not sure where i want to practice once i graduate (i have to get in first). From the brief research i have done it seems as though the scope of practice and resulting salary are both greater in the states. With the little research i have done as of right now i would say either in western canada (BC or alberta) or NW USA (wash/oreg). But I definetly have a lot of research to do on that aspect of things.

Edit: I forgot to ask you or anyone else has dealt with MDManagement here in Canada. I know they support cdn students in med school in the states, but what about cdn students in dpm programs? I will call them soon but i just thought i would ask on here if anyone else has experience with them already.

Hm, I had never even thought about MD Management... something tells me it would only be for MD students, but that's just a guess on my part right now. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that in most (if not all) cases, if you're not an MD in Canada, you're grouped in a completely different category in terms of being a "physician". Podiatry students are not grouped in the same category as "medical students" for Canadian student loans, I know this.

Maybe that's why it is still hard for me to believe I'm actually in a "medical school" of some sort. The way of thinking in Canada is just different, I guess. Although the US is far from perfect, there is at least a little bit more open-mindedness here I think.... and it seems as though it's getting better. I have gotten some "not a real doctor" stuff from my extended family (who are/whose children are all MDs, DDSs) back home.

Hopefully somebody else will have more information for you about MD management though!

I am hoping since MD Management helps cdn students in the US they will help me too. Of course they have to consider a dpm program as "med school". I will call them soon and find out for myself.

I definetly agree that the opinions of people towards pods is not the greatest. But I can totally see where it stems from. The job description of a pod here (sask) is not very good. If i had to practice in sask i wouldnt want to do it.

In the states how do people percieve dpm's? I guess that is vague question but i think you know what i mean. I mean i am sure those who know (md's) or people who have had procedures performed on them by dpms would have an "informed opinion" but what about the general public? Or is it all "not a real doctor" regardless of can/usa!??!!?

Did you interview at DMU? In my class the three Canadians are all from Alberta! Maybe we can take over slowly... one... by... one... :p

(I can say this without fear of being revealed, as I figure not many people will read this thread anyway because it's about Canadians! :laugh:)

I knew you guys were up to no good :)

Hey you Albertans I was wondering if you have heard much about the surgery options for pods in Alberta. What surgeries will we be able to do? I am from Lethbridge. I am applying for the class of 2014.

Hey you Albertans I was wondering if you have heard much about the surgery options for pods in Alberta. What surgeries will we be able to do? I am from Lethbridge. I am applying for the class of 2014.

As of right now scope in AB allows for up to the ankle.