any canadians accepted to US D.O. schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

king

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wondering if there are any Canadians out here that have been accepted. I have a question for you guys. I've been told that DOs that practise in Canada do not have full privileges as they do in the US and that the privileges vary from province to province. I was just wondering if anyone would know where to get this kind of info?

I welcome and would appreciate anyone's input
concerning this matter.

King

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I got into NSU-COM. You can get the information from the AOA or the province you are concerned about (but I'll save you the trouble).

Alberta: Scope of practice: unlimited
Requirements: must write and pass all three parts of the MCC (Medical Council of Canada) exams, two years of ACGME-accredited graduate medical education

British Columbia: Scope of practice: Two pathways (one for unlimited rights and another for DO's who just want to practice manipulation)
requirements: one year GME that is AOA or ACGME accredited and one year of GME in Canada, and all three parts of MCC exams (for only OMM just complete an AOA residency)

Manitoba: No provisions exist, must petition licensing authority

New Brunswick: Scope: unlimited
Requirements: AOA or ACGME-accredited residency, and all three parts of the MCC

Newfoundland: no provisions exist, must petition lic. auth.

Northwest Territories: no provisions, must petition

Nova Scotia: no provisions, must petition

Ontario: scope: limited to OMM (there is a moratorium placed on issuing licenses that applies to both DOs and MDs). MDs trained outside Ontario can't get licenses either.

Saskatchewan: scope: limited to OMM

Yukon Territory: no provisions, must petition

I hope that helped. Personally, I'm from Alberta so if I did want to return it would not be difficult. Also, petitioning is getting easier and easier for US-trained DOs. Another point... the other provinces are coming around (I was told by people at the Canadian Osteopathic Association that by the time I graduated it would be a non-issue). I hope they are right, but it doesn't really matter to me as I like Alberta and have claim to US citizenship.