lateapplicant

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Any Canadians getting into these US DO schools?

I've applied to LECOM and TOUROCOM-NY (later in the application season but with decent scores 31, 3.45), have any Canadians been accepted to either of these schools? If so are you already permanent residents or do they actually give out student visas there?

Thanks

Protease

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
Did you by chance apply to any of the Canadian medical schools, I heard they are some of the best schools in north america. You got some great stats, hopefully you have a DO Letter as well. Good luck, I'm sure you will get in without a problem. Unforutnetly, I don't know how anything about the visa issue, but I don't think it should be much of a problem, since undergraduate schools accept foreign applicants, I'm sure DO schools do as well. If not your going to have to marry an American fast.

hsmooth

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I didn't apply to either of those schools..but I got into DMU and DCOM.

no green card or US residency,

I haven't quite fully figured out the visa situation, but it should not be a problem as I know of a few Canadians at DO schools in the States.

About the Ads

lateapplicant

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I did apply to all the Ontario schools and didn't even receive an interview. Too many students, too few spots. It's unfortunate because it makes everyone here overly competitive and secretive about any success. Thanks for the input, I think if I receive secondaries I will just send them back the next day... and I already jumped the gun and sent back secondaries for LECOM. Goodluck to everyone who is still in the process.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I did apply to all the Ontario schools and didn't even receive an interview. Too many students, too few spots. It's unfortunate because it makes everyone here overly competitive and secretive about any success. Thanks for the input, I think if I receive secondaries I will just send them back the next day... and I already jumped the gun and sent back secondaries for LECOM. Goodluck to everyone who is still in the process.

That is life. Deal with it. You know how many rejections I got? Many.. the only thing you have to do is realise what you did wrong and fix it.

GPA is not good to get in to American MD school either, unless you are a resident or green card holder.

How old are you? What University did you go to?

See in the Osteopathic forum.. I posted to another recent thread.
Do a search on bottom and on Canadian board. if you are fimiliar with that.

good luck
B

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I didn't apply to either of those schools..but I got into DMU and DCOM.

no green card or US residency,

I haven't quite fully figured out the visa situation, but it should not be a problem as I know of a few Canadians at DO schools in the States.

Hey Hsmoothy.. I know you right???

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a fellow canuck, and I got into LECOM Bradenton campus (waitlisted at LECOM Erie), and at Touro Nevada as well, along with other places. However, I do have a green card, and I will be attending neither of these DO schools.

hsmooth

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey Hsmoothy.. I know you right???

Hey docbill, yeah! I tried giving you a call two weeks ago...no answer from you lol. But anyways, my Canadian rejection letters are rolling in, so I've decided on going over to DMU. I'll give you a ring in the near future if you're not busy, I'd still like to discuss some things with you.

The Tolf

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
UNECOM has quite a few Canadian medical students... but I am also unsure of the visa issue. DocBill is actually from Canada himself, so he should be able to answer your questions on visas!

ruck

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Sorry to break it to you but LECOM does not accept Canadians. TOUROCOM-NY however does. I'm a Candian too and I have an interview at Tourocom-NY. Western also accepts Canadians (already got accepted so i know for sure).
Any Canadians getting into these US DO schools?

I've applied to LECOM and TOUROCOM-NY (later in the application season but with decent scores 31, 3.45), have any Canadians been accepted to either of these schools? If so are you already permanent residents or do they actually give out student visas there?

Thanks

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sorry to break it to you but LECOM does not accept Canadians. TOUROCOM-NY however does. I'm a Candian too and I have an interview at Tourocom-NY. Western also accepts Canadians (already got accepted so i know for sure).

REallly... I thought it was the other way around.

I know a Canadian who is going to LECOM erie.

So ... it just proves that you can't get good administrative help. It is funny cause I recall LECOM sending me a rejection pre-interview and then sending me a letter to do post-bac program there. Hehehe.. there was no way that I was going to stop my years of grad school to go and do a post-bac.

Now, to be fair. I think LECOM is a great place to apply and go to school. It is cheaper than all the others. 10k less to be exact/year. It is a drive from Ontario and they have something called the independent learning track. Where basically you don't have to go to class and sit in there, just work on your own and come in once a week to do OMM lab or anatomy or whatever. BTW, for me, the way I learn, this would be great. ALSO, you an live in Ontario and just drive across once a week. NOT a bad deal.

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hmmm 2nd year at UNECOM.. who is this???? Yeah. there are 3 of us from year one & two. However there are a couple of half Canadians. Even one american who did her BS at McGill.

UNECOM has quite a few Canadian medical students... but I am also unsure of the visa issue. DocBill is actually from Canada himself, so he should be able to answer your questions on visas!

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey docbill, yeah! I tried giving you a call two weeks ago...no answer from you lol. But anyways, my Canadian rejection letters are rolling in, so I've decided on going over to DMU. I'll give you a ring in the near future if you're not busy, I'd still like to discuss some things with you.

Yeah sorry .. probably was sleeping. I do that a lot more now.. durring the day. Also if I can't I.D. the phone number I don't answer. Checkerd past.. maybe some mounties are trying to find me on their horses. This week is rough. Snow storm coming tonight, then exams on thurday and friday. But I should be in TO next week.

DMU is a great program from what I hear. UVICguy got in there as well, but then was lucky enough to get into UBC, so he went there.

About the Ads

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm a fellow canuck, and I got into LECOM Bradenton campus (waitlisted at LECOM Erie), and at Touro Nevada as well, along with other places. However, I do have a green card, and I will be attending neither of these DO schools.

where did you choose to go finally. NSU or CCOM.
I always wonder what life would be if I choose NSU over UNECOM. It would of been definitely warmer. And the flights back to TO are cheaper than from Boston. Oddly enough. Hmmmm

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Oddly enough.

I will tell the canucks.

ALWAYS TRY REAPPLYING TO CANADIAN SCHOOLs. Assuming you are close to being acceptable. I was no where to be close. But if you have a 3.6 and 30+ on the MCAT, it may be worth it to take that extra time and do a Masters and re-apply to a Canadian program. Or even easier do a second BSc or a BA. 2 years only. Can have lots of fun. Drinking partying. Just do an easy program this time and do it at a fun school. NOT UofT. Pick St-Francis or Xaviar or Kamploops or whatever and have fun with it.

OKAY I will stop now and go back to the F$#% borring world of HISTOLOGY. You guys this is the least enjoyable course yet to date.

lateapplicant

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Good news about Tourcom-NY, thanks... I've emailed both schools and neither have replied. Do you have permanent residency or any Visas to start though?

lateapplicant

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
REallly... I thought it was the other way around.

I know a Canadian who is going to LECOM erie.

So ... it just proves that you can't get good administrative help. It is funny cause I recall LECOM sending me a rejection pre-interview and then sending me a letter to do post-bac program there. Hehehe.. there was no way that I was going to stop my years of grad school to go and do a post-bac.

Now, to be fair. I think LECOM is a great place to apply and go to school. It is cheaper than all the others. 10k less to be exact/year. It is a drive from Ontario and they have something called the independent learning track. Where basically you don't have to go to class and sit in there, just work on your own and come in once a week to do OMM lab or anatomy or whatever. BTW, for me, the way I learn, this would be great. ALSO, you an live in Ontario and just drive across once a week. NOT a bad deal.

Yea, LECOM is my first choice, finally just now they emailed me back saying they do accept Canadian students but they didn't give me any info on just accepting permanent residents. Do you by any chance know whether the Canadian you're talking about had a green card?

Oh and I went to Western ON, 22 doing my fifth year. I tried to work the angles like how NOMS takes a weighted gpa of your last years and Western takes your best two. I didn't meet the cut off for the writing sample of Q for Western. You're right though, I should've practiced that section more and should learn from my mistakes.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
where did you choose to go finally. NSU or CCOM.
I always wonder what life would be if I choose NSU over UNECOM. It would of been definitely warmer. And the flights back to TO are cheaper than from Boston. Oddly enough. Hmmmm

I've decided on NSU. And CCOM actually turned me down, it was a choice between NSU and AZCOM.

I'm still waiting to hear from UNECOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and UMDNJ, but at this point, I could care less, because I'm quite happy with the prospects of attending NSU.

And ditto on what you said about U of T. My four years there could have definitely been better spent at another institution.

ruck

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I have F-1 student visa since I'm doing grad school at Columbia. Before applying I emailed and called all the DO schools to see which ones don't require citizenship or green card status. I am 100% sure LECOM told me i have to have a green card but who knows may be they changed their policy since August.

Good news about Tourcom-NY, thanks... I've emailed both schools and neither have replied. Do you have permanent residency or any Visas to start though?

ruck

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Oh ya and for Touro-NY i called the school as soon as it opened and talked to the dean of admissions several times to convince him to accept international applicants. After 3 weeks of fighting i succeeded. LOL.

hsmooth

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Oh and I went to Western ON, 22 doing my fifth year. I tried to work the angles like how NOMS takes a weighted gpa of your last years and Western takes your best two. I didn't meet the cut off for the writing sample of Q for Western. You're right though, I should've practiced that section more and should learn from my mistakes.

cool I went to Western too. What program are you in?

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ecard|10001|10051|660921|-102001;11443;-102034;92054||P2R2S|null

this is good! Eh

PS. Sorry you must copy paste it

anj1202

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
I called LECOM several times and they told me that you have to be a US resident at minimum to be accepted. I never sent in my secondary after hearing this so if they do accept Canadians I wouldn't be happy since I would have had a real shot.

lateapplicant

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
cool I went to Western too. What program are you in?

Hey, didn't see this post until now... I finished the Med Sci program but I'm taking some courses here and there (English etc.). How about you? 4th Year?

Oh and to the previous post, LECOM-Bradenton is sending me back my secondary fee so yep.. no Canadians being accepted there. LECOM-Erie is surprising though... you could drive there every day its so close to the border, oh well.

hsmooth

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey, didn't see this post until now... I finished the Med Sci program but I'm taking some courses here and there (English etc.). How about you? 4th Year?

Oh and to the previous post, LECOM-Bradenton is sending me back my secondary fee so yep.. no Canadians being accepted there. LECOM-Erie is surprising though... you could drive there every day its so close to the border, oh well.

Haha cool, I finished Med Sci too....I probably know or at least would recognize you then

I originally wanted to go to LECOM-E as a first choice since it's so close to home, too bad they don't take us.

at_hashmi

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I actually interviewed at LECOM-Erie Feb 23rd, I haven't heard back from them yet however. Hopefully some kind of decision has been made. I had the same problem when i sent in my secondary applications. One of the administrators told me I was not eligible, and another told me I was. The administrators at LECOM aren't really the brightest people in the world. However I talked to the Vice president, and she told me that I was eligible to apply to LECOM granted that I was able to pay the tuition.

By the way I'm a Canadian citizen, and don't have any status in the States.

lateapplicant

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I actually interviewed at LECOM-Erie Feb 23rd, I haven't heard back from them yet however. Hopefully some kind of decision has been made. I had the same problem when i sent in my secondary applications. One of the administrators told me I was not eligible, and another told me I was. The administrators at LECOM aren't really the brightest people in the world. However I talked to the Vice president, and she told me that I was eligible to apply to LECOM granted that I was able to pay the tuition.

By the way I'm a Canadian citizen, and don't have any status in the States.

That's great news...

If you don't (if you prefer you can private msg me) I had a few questions that would really help:

did they mention an escrow account or just proof of financial ability?
what were your stats?
how quickly did they move from primary/secondary to interview invite?
did you apply to any others this year?

Thanks and all the best of luck to you

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.