PKU

Nov 28, 2013
Hey guys. This probably has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

I'm planning on making the states my back up if I don't get in canada (Ontario), either a DO or MD school there, I was just wondering, If I'm in the process of doing my MD/DO there and it's time for residency, would I be fine applying to Ontario positions? I'm planning on doing family or internal medicine. I know other specialities like surgery will be more tough.

The reason why I want to do residency is so I can experience Toronto hospitals.

What are your thoughts? My end goal is to be practicing family medicine in Toronto..

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
http://www.studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/osteopathic_students/residency/canadian

The Canadian residency match is run through CaRMS. There are two iterations, which means there are two rounds of matching run every year. In the 2nd iteration, only those spots not filled in the first iteration are available for consideration. In addition, some programs have two streams of applications, one for IMG's and one for Canadian medical graduates, with their own spots reserved. There are fewer spots available in the IMG streams.

The Canadian match is extremely competitive, due to the small number of available spots relative to the United States. Moreover, DO graduates are only eligible for 5 provinces, three of which allow DOs to participate as regular US medical grads in the 1st Iteration. As such, applicants to the Canadian match should be prepared to take part in both iterations, in case they are unable to match into their first-choice programs.

In order to take part in CaRMS, Osteopathic graduates need to complete the MCCEE before October of the application year, so that their scores can be submitted to CaRMS by the November deadline. In addition, to improve your chances of matching, elective rotation should have been done at the sites in question so that the program directors and staff can put a face to your application. COMSA have compiled information on each of these requirements in their respective pages to help with each step of the process.

The applicant timetable for the 1st ITERATION and 2nd ITERATION.

Check back for first-hand accounts by members of COMSA and other Osteopathic students of the trials and tribulations in the Canadian match.

OP
P

PKU

Nov 28, 2013
Thank
http://www.studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/osteopathic_students/residency/canadian

The Canadian residency match is run through CaRMS. There are two iterations, which means there are two rounds of matching run every year. In the 2nd iteration, only those spots not filled in the first iteration are available for consideration. In addition, some programs have two streams of applications, one for IMG's and one for Canadian medical graduates, with their own spots reserved. There are fewer spots available in the IMG streams.

The Canadian match is extremely competitive, due to the small number of available spots relative to the United States. Moreover, DO graduates are only eligible for 5 provinces, three of which allow DOs to participate as regular US medical grads in the 1st Iteration. As such, applicants to the Canadian match should be prepared to take part in both iterations, in case they are unable to match into their first-choice programs.

In order to take part in CaRMS, Osteopathic graduates need to complete the MCCEE before October of the application year, so that their scores can be submitted to CaRMS by the November deadline. In addition, to improve your chances of matching, elective rotation should have been done at the sites in question so that the program directors and staff can put a face to your application. COMSA have compiled information on each of these requirements in their respective pages to help with each step of the process.

The applicant timetable for the 1st ITERATION and 2nd ITERATION.

Check back for first-hand accounts by members of COMSA and other Osteopathic students of the trials and tribulations in the Canadian match.
Thanks for the fast and detailed reply man! But I heard that LCME accredited schools would be considered for the 1st iteration and not considered as IMGs in canada, is this true? Also is there a chance of getting a spot for family in toronto? Because I don't want to be stuck in the US, all my family is in canada and I'd love to practice here!

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply man! But I heard that LCME accredited schools would be considered for the 1st iteration and not considered as IMGs in canada, is this true? Also is there a chance of getting a spot for family in toronto? Because I don't want to be stuck in the US, all my family is in canada and I'd love to practice here!
Yes, a USMD school would make your life much easier, but unless you have great stats (higher than your average US counterparts) you're going to have a tough time gaining admissions. Not many schools accept internationals and those that do usually only accept ~10.

Good luck!

COMSA-premed

COMSA-Premed Representative
Nov 4, 2013
True North Strong and Free
Status
Medical Student
A short response, would be that you should be prepared to stay in the US for residency, and maybe if you do really well in medical school, you may match through CARMS. As the above poster said, CARMS is very difficult to match too. The next few years will be telling, on how Canadian trained DO's fair.

petyr_baelish

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is it basically impossible to work in Canada if you do an AOA residency in the USA? So this means you must do an ACGME residency and then you're good?

UBC2014

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Medical Student
^more or less. At this time you will need an acgme residency, which isn't an issue at all. Maybe post-merger things will be a bit different for newly acgme accreditated former aoa only residencies.