Any Catholic Premeds giving up anything extra for Lent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to "grease the wheels" so to say for a little Divine Intervention in the admissions process...

Giving up:
-Chocolate
-Fried Food
-Alcohol

Members don't see this ad.

Depakote said:
Trying to "grease the wheels" so to say for a little Divine Intervention in the admissions process...

Giving up:
-Chocolate
-Fried Food
-Alcohol

Giving up SDN perhaps.

Also, you don't have to be Catholic to give something up for lent. Protestants do it too.

Ice cream and pizza....the two best food options in the cafeteria! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
-All sweets
-Coke
-Pizza

RxnMan said:
I generally try to, but Lent snuck up on me this year and I haven't thought of anything.
Same here, RxnMan. I still thinking of what to give up. Maybe we should give up Potica :laugh:

RxnMan said:
I generally try to, but Lent snuck up on me this year and I haven't thought of anything.
Same here, RxnMan. I still thinking of what to give up. Maybe we should give up potica :laugh:

PlasticMan said:
Same here, RxnMan. I still thinking of what to give up. Maybe we should give up potica :laugh:
Dude, that effin' rocks. Nobody here will know what that is!

Sadly, I don't have a constant supply out here in CO, so it wouldn't be a worthy sacrifice for me.

Say what you want about me, but I honestly rarely give up something for Lent. I realized that pretty much what people give up is something that they shouldn't have to begin with (the food and caffeine that people do), and so it benefits you in many ways. I don't think that something is truly a sacrifice if the person making the "sacrifice" will get something in return for it. I used to donate a few bucks a week into this special lenten money collection that our church has every year, but since I've been at school, I'm not home to be able to pick up the box we have or drop it off.

Now I think that it's a bigger sacrifice for me to be Catholic at a Lutheran school that doesn't seem to care about the Friday during Lent thing with no meat thing even though Catholics make up the second largest religious group. They like to serve the Fish or Cheese pizza on Mondays or Tuesdays rather than Fridays. I think that pretty much every weekend I was here last year I had to eat cereal for lunch since there never was anything that I could eat.

shantster said:
Say what you want about me, but I honestly rarely give up something for Lent. I realized that pretty much what people give up is something that they shouldn't have to begin with (the food and caffeine that people do), and so it benefits you in many ways. I don't think that something is truly a sacrifice if the person making the "sacrifice" will get something in return for it.

Here's an alternative idea for you then: instead of giving up something bad for Lent, add something good such as:

-Spend extra time praying
-Do some sort of new community service
-Read part of the bible each night
-Go to a weekday mass

I have to wait until the end of mardi gras before my brain functions at a high enough level to processes what to do...

ND2005 said:
Here's an alternative idea for you then: instead of giving up something bad for Lent, add something good such as:

-Spend extra time praying
-Do some sort of new community service
-Read part of the bible each night
-Go to a weekday mass

Great idea. I advocate being pro-active during Lent. Many times just giving something up belies the real meaning of Lent. I think "doing something" instead of "not doing something" reminds you of the reason for the season. Not to mention that many people give up vices during Lent and when the clock strikes midnight on Easter, they revive their vice.

Members don't see this ad :)
gostudy said:
Great idea. I advocate being pro-active during Lent. Many times just giving something up belies the real meaning of Lent. I think "doing something" instead of "not doing something" reminds you of the reason for the season. Not to mention that many people give up vices during Lent and when the clock strikes midnight on Easter, they revive their vice.

Actually, the "giving up" something is symbolic of the 40 days' worth of fasting and withdrawal Jesus did in the wilderness. To give up something, or even full-out fast during Lent are actions of Christians trying to imitate the life (suffering?) of Christ.

You shouldn't really "give up" bad things - you shouldn't do bad things outside of Lent anyway, and doing "better things", well, why wouldn't you do them anyway if you are truly faithful enough to follow Lent?

What you should do, if you follow Lent, is to refrain from something extraneous (hence all the reveling and fun on Mardi Gras). Not necessarily something bad, but something you can live without for 40 days.

Fasting also doesn't mean wasting away and starving yourself, but just practicing self-control and discipline in your practice.

The season of Lent should be about reflection of Christ, not about flippantly giving something up to follow some rules. Please really think about what the season means before any of you decide to give up candy.

I'm not picking on the above poster on purpose, just responding to their post to make a point. So, this is really not directed at any one person in particular, just a post about the general idea of Lent. It might sound preachy, but I take my faith seriously :)

I'm with megboo here. I give up (sweet) junk food during Lent. This isn't because I think junk food is particularly bad. It's also not a crash diet (I usually gain weight trying to stuff myself with other less-satisfying foods).

It's just that giving up junk food reminds me to think of God every time I go to grab a Butterfinger but remember that I shouldn't.

I'm giving up beer and junk food. I seriously love beer, and doing without will remind me every time I reach for a deliciously, frosty-cold beer after work, that I'm making an effort for Lent. The junk food thing is just to control sub-conscious eating of whatever is in the cabinet after work.

megboo said:
Actually, the "giving up" something is symbolic of the 40 days' worth of fasting and withdrawal Jesus did in the wilderness. To give up something, or even full-out fast during Lent are actions of Christians trying to imitate the life (suffering?) of Christ.

You shouldn't really "give up" bad things - you shouldn't do bad things outside of Lent anyway, and doing "better things", well, why wouldn't you do them anyway if you are truly faithful enough to follow Lent?

What you should do, if you follow Lent, is to refrain from something extraneous (hence all the reveling and fun on Mardi Gras). Not necessarily something bad, but something you can live without for 40 days.

Fasting also doesn't mean wasting away and starving yourself, but just practicing self-control and discipline in your practice.

The season of Lent should be about reflection of Christ, not about flippantly giving something up to follow some rules. Please really think about what the season means before any of you decide to give up candy.

I'm not picking on the above poster on purpose, just responding to their post to make a point. So, this is really not directed at any one person in particular, just a post about the general idea of Lent. It might sound preachy, but I take my faith seriously :)

The "adding something good" idea of Lent originated around Vatican 2. The idea behind it is to use the Lenten period as a period of spiritual renewal, in which you make a conscious effort to do something to better yourself.

It's not a bad idea, and it certainly isn't flippant or taking away from the general idea of Lent.

ND2005 said:
The "adding something good" idea of Lent originated around Vatican 2. The idea behind it is to use the Lenten period as a period of spiritual renewal, in which you make a conscious effort to do something to better yourself.

It's not a bad idea, and it certainly isn't flippant or taking away from the general idea of Lent.

I feel it's flippant when most people say "I'm giving up candy" or swearing (sorry Kim - I know you were kidding), or spitting, etc, like they did as a child. Most do it out of reaction to Lent, not because they are trying to be closer to Christ.

Sure, adding good things is not bad in any way, but I also feel that we should be doing them anyway. Why WOULDN'T you be nice to someone, say sorry, pray more, etc. on times other than just Lent?

Yes, we are supposed to better ourselves as humans, but that should be an ongoing thing IMO.

But then again, my posts are strictly IMO.

i'm giving up church.

seriously though i don't see why there needs to be 40 days set aside to get closer to christ. i am not a religious person but i do believe in God and I truly believe that i can worship him whenever and however I want so i don't partake in lent and other foolishly religious "ceremonies." but i truly have respect for anyone who follows any religion the best that they can.

FrkyBgStok said:
i'm giving up church.

seriously though i don't see why there needs to be 40 days set aside to get closer to christ. i am not a religious person but i do believe in God and I truly believe that i can worship him whenever and however I want so i don't partake in lent and other foolishly religious "ceremonies." but i truly have respect for anyone who follows any religion the best that they can.

You respect our practices, but call them foolish? Hmmmm...

Well, I'm happy you at least believe in God!

Well I'm not Catholic, but I am a Christian who is going to a Jesuit school right now, so I decided to try this lent thing. As far as I can tell, it's supposed to be something you actually like and will miss (i.e. you don't "give up" brussel sprouts for lent). So, I am giving up Quiznos. This is my favorite place to go to for lunch. So far so good. Only 39 days to go. :)

I'm going to stick to the no meat on fridays during lent (and none on ash wednesday)... and go to mass on every day that it is required. Went to mass today, ate only fish sticks today. I miss meat, I hate church, I need to work on being a good Catholic.

UMP said:
I'm going to stick to the no meat on fridays during lent (and none on ash wednesday)... and go to mass on every day that it is required. Went to mass today, ate only fish sticks today. I miss meat, I hate church, I need to work on being a good Catholic.
Protein in my Diet yesterday consisted entirely of peanut butter, salmon and tuna. Guess this will be the routine for fridays from now on for awhile...

FrkyBgStok said:
i'm giving up church.

tee hee. about 15 years ago i gave up being catholic for lent. never went back to it ;-).

problem is, you can take the girl out of the church but not the church out of the girl...i'm forever a recovering catholic. needless to say, a recovering catholic + a jack mormon dating (like me and an ex a few years back)...whoa! the baggage!