Any chance? 3.0 gpa dat 18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmddixon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you guys think I should apply to this cycle ?and if so what schools? I am an URM (African American male) I finished undergrad this past May and I'm still deciding what steps I should take from here.
3.0 ogpa
3.0 sgpa
18aa 18ts 18pat
Advice?
Yes apply. You will get interviews somewhere absolutely. Also add Howard and Meharry to your list of schools as they primarily take URM and those schools would be your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above! Add in Meharry and Howard to your list if they aren't already, and prepare to kick butt in the interview!

But apply ASAP!

Agreed with the above! Add in Meharry and Howard to your list if they aren't already, and prepare to kick butt in the interview!

But apply ASAP!

Great!
I wasn't sure if I should take more classes or masters program andwork since I have a year before school would actually start.
My school choices are
Louisville LSU meharry howard creighton and USC so far

You could make it in by blaming your grade on thug life and how you were a victim of gangstas... Or maybe talk about how being a dentist will help your gang crew save money for weed and guns.

What?

You are passing the line....

Reactions: 2 users
@demiilax, very offensive writing, you have.

Very unprofessional.

You deserve the cold shoulder.

I bet you will say sorry later, the usual/typical response from people who act like you.

I bet you will say sorry later, the usual/typical response from people who act like you.
Calm your saggy tits now, it was a joke. Maybe a lil offensive, but still... expand your horizon and swallow jokes however they come. Apparently I hit your nerves with 4 posts one after the other.. so lolol

Calm your saggy tits now, it was a joke. Maybe a lil offensive, but still... expand your horizon and swallow jokes however they come. Apparently I hit your nerves with 4 posts one after the other.. so lolol

I know jokes, but you have ignorance

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think I should apply to this cycle ?and if so what schools? I am an URM (African American male) I finished undergrad this past May and I'm still deciding what steps I should take from here.
3.0 ogpa
3.0 sgpa
18aa 18ts 18pat
Advice?

Apply no matter what.....

If you don't get accepted, retake DAT And try to take a few extra classes, science courses to be specific.

Reactions: 1 user
The old "it was a joke" card smh

Yikes Dude. Doubling down and telling someone they can't take a joke?

To OP: I concur with what the others said about adding Howard and Meharry. You mentioned doing some other coursework to boost your app. I think that would be a great idea, in the event that you don't get any offers this cycle. I would say that you should keep working on boosting your app until you get an acceptance letter. You didn't mention any extracurriculars, but if anything in that department could be strengthened, consider working on that. And as everyone always says, apply broadly!

Didn't expect my post to get out of hand like this but it's all good I'm not offended. I've learned to ignore some people

Reactions: 5 users
On the same boat as you, only hispanic. I applied to 16 schools. Stay positive! Get an interview....show em your stuff!!

Hey. I had similar stats as you. I am also URM. I had slightly better DAT scores. But anways, I applied to about 12 schools and received 3 interviews last cycle. I was waitlisted at 2 and was accepted at 1. Its possible! I would consider adding Detroit Mercy to your list if you don't mind living in Detroit for 4 years. There is hope. :)

I think you have a shot at Louisville. But you should definitely plan on doing something health related within this year.

I would say you have a pretty realistic shot, apart from the fact you've fallen a little behind if you are still applying. Not only are you URM but African Americans are the most underrepresented race in dental school besides obscure ethnicities. Some people may not agree with it but I think this almost certainly gives you a advantage over the average applicant

Great. I hope for the best and I plan on continue working at my job at the hospital

Best of luck to you my Brother, Honestly I would recommend Studying for the DAT again if you don't get a solid response by the end of this year, I would say do some additional courses but that's barely going to move your GPA without a year or so, or a Masters/Post Bacc. Don't assume you have a super great shot with these stats though man, You gotta rock the interview.

And to the ignorant guy above, you sir, should not be in healthcare, you sir claim you made a joke as a cop out, that shows you regret your statment, remorse even though slight means there is a glimmer of hope for you. I actually had to deal with Gangs trying to jump me into them during high school, Did you? or did you have gangs of friends helping you study for the SAT. We grow up differently respect that, because I guarantee I am more compassionate, caring and will make a better dentist than you based on your clear pregidous for not ony African Americans, but likely all URM's and anyone else you don't understand. I'll pray for you brother. And yes it is a big deal, because every active SDN URM will read your post and be offended, as well as others that dislike ignorance.

Reactions: 6 users

This titan of thought says, and I quote, "expand your horizon and swallow jokes however they come." One of the stupidest statements I've ever read on this website and that says a lot. This human being is the reason dental schools want to make sure you have meaningful cultural experiences before enrolling.

I would say you have a pretty realistic shot, apart from the fact you've fallen a little behind if you are still applying. Not only are you URM but African Americans are the most underrepresented race in dental school besides obscure ethnicities. Some people may not agree with it but I think this almost certainly gives you a advantage over the average applicant

No my application is complete at all schools except 1. I have to do supplemental for that one, but I applied early knowing I had lower stats

Well it turns out this kid's going to MWU-IL. Good thing I'm not applying there.

Well everyone already said Howard and Meharry. You'll have a shot at those schools because they show preference for URM. Realistically though, you're going to have it pretty rough for other schools with the national average acceptance DAT being ~20 AA, GPA avg 3.6+. If you have some good extracurriculars, that will help you everywhere.

If you're just now applying, you're pretty late in the game. If you don't make it, try retaking the DAT and getting 21+ for next cycle.

I want to know how he did im very curious

I want to know how he did im very curious
It still early in the cycle. I haven't heard from my state school since they finish interviews in October, but meharry and howard haven't started interviews yet

It still early in the cycle. I haven't heard from my state school since they finish interviews in October, but meharry and howard haven't started interviews yet

Correct, most schools havent even started sending out invites yet. Mostly private schools, and some other public ones. My state school (Marquette), nor Meharry or Howard (reach schools for me), have not started sending invites yet, which is somewhat of a relief for me :)