Any chance at 2018 MD class with these stats and being URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeTagU

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA - 3.67
sGPA - 3.45 (no re-takes yet...science gpa can bump to 3.6 if retake Gen chem 1 and Gen physics 2 and pull A in both)
MCAT - taking in March
ALL courses taken at SUNY schools (5 year undergrad career....5 withdraws on transcript for missing one semester after Grandma died and could not focus so I withdrew. In fact my grandmother passing sparked my interest in medicine and facilitated my decision to go for med school)
Major(s): Economics and Philosophy
Minor(s): Bio and Chemistry
Research: Zip/Zilch
Volunteer: approx 200 hours at NY Presbyterian (during summers home)
EMT licensed (would have 2 years experience by fall 2018)

As a URM Latino I have been told by some advisors that I am in a much more advantageous and favorable position than whites/asians. In fact I can probably argue for Native American heritage too since my maternal grandmother was Cherokee.

Few Questions:

What is the best URM for affirmative action help? Black, Hispanic or Native American?

Is it very bad that I've never done research in any field?

How much will my chance at MD school be reliant upon my MCAT? Do I need an exceptional score with my stats and background? Would an average score suffice?

My upward trend has taken me from a low point of 2.9 sGPA to current 3.45.

Gen Chem 1: B
Gen chem 1 Lab: B+

Gen Chem 2: B-
Gen Chem 2 lab: A-

Orgo 1: A+
Orgo 1 Lab: A

Orgo 2: A-
Orgo 2 Lab: A

Bio 1: B (lab inclusive)
Bio 2: A- (lab inclusive)

Physics 1: A
Physics 1 Lab: B+

Physics 2: B
Physics 2 Lab: B

Biochem: B+
Biochem lab: A-

MicroBio: A
Microbio Lab: A

Calc 1: B
Calc 2: C+
(math is my weakest subject. For me it's way more difficult than non-calc based physics or orgo. Granted I took non-calc based physics.)

Thanks for taking time to answer I appreciate all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Not all Latinos are URM.

Trying to play the Native American card will lead to lots of IIs and lots of rejections unless you can show off a tribal membership card AND show evidence of commitment to the NA community.

As a URM Latino I have been told by some advisors that I am in a much more advantageous and favorable position than whites/asians. In fact I can probably argue for Native American heritage too since my maternal grandmother was Cherokee.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans are URM per AAMC rules. If you are south american, like myself, you are not. One of those weird quirks, like Pacific Islanders definitely being a large community that is underrepresented in medicine but technically "counts" as ORM per official guideline. What's weirder is that the AAMC themselves in their diversity report acknowledge that this doesnt make any sense lol. Some South Americans -- especially Cubans and Colombians -- are represented quite well in medicine as opposed to Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.

To answer your question -- regardless of being URM or not -- a 510+ MCAT should land you in the competitive range for many MD schools. An MCAT score above the 90th %ile will put you in a good spot with that GPA. Neither MD or DO do grade replacement so I hope that GPA bump is being calculated by averaging your old grade with the hypotehtical A.

Only Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans are URM per AAMC rules. If you are south american, like myself, you are not. One of those weird quirks, like Pacific Islanders definitely being a large community that is underrepresented in medicine but technically "counts" as ORM per official guideline. What's weirder is that the AAMC themselves in their diversity report acknowledge that this doesnt make any sense lol. Some South Americans -- especially Cubans and Colombians -- are represented quite well in medicine as opposed to Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.

To answer your question -- regardless of being URM or not -- a 510+ MCAT should land you in the competitive range for many MD schools. An MCAT score above the 90th %ile will put you in a good spot with that GPA. Neither MD or DO do grade replacement so I hope that GPA bump is being calculated by averaging your old grade with the hypotehtical A.
https://students-residents.aamc.org.../medical-minority-applicant-registry-med-mar/

Pacific Islanders are considered minorities for Med-Mar....edit: looking it up AAMC includes them in their definition of urm as well

Reactions: 1 user

thanks for the details. Yes the 3.45 sGPA is without any grade replacement. I should have clarified that I was hoping to do the re-takes and bump the GPA to 3.6 for my DO applications. I know MD doesn't allow for grade replacement, but I had heard that DO schools "do" allow for grade replacement. Perhaps I was given incorrect information.

My mother was born in South America but is of Mexican descent, so I will be putting Mexican on my application. I am also going to find out about the Native American possibility because I have indigenous blood pumping in my veins, so I believe I should be given the proper credit and acknowledgement for carrying this burden. Despite the affirmative action it's still a lot more pressure to be a URM applicant because you don't have that same support group through the struggle for MD acceptance. I'm often one of the only true latinos in my classes with mostly Asian and White classmates. I feel that I'm carrying my race on my back and trying to do Latinos proud. Viva La Raza

thanks for the details. Yes the 3.45 sGPA is without any grade replacement. I should have clarified that I was hoping to do the re-takes and bump the GPA to 3.6 for my DO applications. I know MD doesn't allow for grade replacement, but I had heard that DO schools "do" allow for grade replacement. Perhaps I was given incorrect information.

My mother was born in South America but is of Mexican descent, so I will be putting Mexican on my application. I am also going to find out about the Native American possibility because I have indigenous blood pumping in my veins, so I believe I should be given the proper credit and acknowledgement for carrying this burden. Despite the affirmative action it's still a lot more pressure to be a URM applicant because you don't have that same support group through the struggle for MD acceptance. I'm often one of the only true latinos in my classes with mostly Asian and White classmates. I feel that I'm carrying my race on my back and trying to do Latinos proud. Viva La Raza
Idk if you are trying to troll, but you are not carrying a burden if you have Native American blood but have no associations with them. Many Native Americans grow up in areas devoid of any public support and lack the resources to get to med school because of a history of systemic racism. Native Americans students face legitimate disadvantages and trying to exploit their disadvantages for your own gain (when you don't even need to; your app is fine on its own) is distasteful. You are not carrying their burden. NA tribal organizations can also tell when people try to gain membership for school purposes and you likely will not be able to become a member.

Reactions: 20 users
I have indigenous blood pumping in my veins, so I believe I should be given the proper credit and acknowledgement for carrying this burden.

Don't say this kind of thing in your application.

I'm often one of the only true latinos in my classes with mostly Asian and White classmates. I feel that I'm carrying my race on my back and trying to do Latinos proud. Viva La Raza

Don't say this kind of thing in your application.

If you can speak some Spanish maybe play that up a bit.

Reactions: 2 users

DO schools did once allow for grade replacement, however those days are over beginning in the next cycle. There is a thread on it somewhere here in PreAllo and also on PreOsteo

https://students-residents.aamc.org.../medical-minority-applicant-registry-med-mar/

Pacific Islanders are considered minorities for Med-Mar....edit: looking it up AAMC includes them in their definition of urm as well

can u perhaps link me where they are included in the AAMC definition? Looking at the 2016 report:

http://www.aamcdiversityfactsandfigures2016.org/report-section/section-2/

It seems they are not disaggregated as a standard from the "Asian" category? Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

Idk if you are trying to troll, but you are not carrying a burden if you have Native American blood but have no associations with them. Many Native Americans grow up in areas devoid of any public support and lack the resources to get to med school because of a history of systemic racism. Native Americans students face legitimate disadvantages and trying to exploit their disadvantages for your own gain (when you don't even need to; your app is fine on its own) is distasteful. You are not carrying their burden. NA tribal organizations can also tell when people try to gain membership for school purposes and you likely will not be able to become a member.

My sincere apology if my comment was offensive in any manner. I witnessed racism against my grandmother as a child and this unfortunate experience had a lasting impact. I don't consider myself "less" native american because I'm mixed blood. My father is white, my mom is mexican with some native american blood.

I was not devoid of all resources but was bullied for being latino at times throughout childhood. I don't look very mexican but my mother does and the other kids called her a beaner, etc. I have experienced plenty of racism, not from asian, but from white students.

DO schools did once allow for grade replacement, however those days are over beginning in the next cycle. There is a thread on it somewhere here in PreAllo and also on PreOsteo

if DO schools no longer allow for grade replacement then how are they differentiating themselves from MD schools? Are they going to be just as selective as MD schools now?

Members don't see this ad :)
if DO schools no longer allow for grade replacement then how are they differentiating themselves from MD schools? Are they going to be just as selective as MD schools now?

Lol. No one knows what's gonna happen. Good luck though man do well on the MCAT and I think you'll be in good shape for DO, reach for some MD programs.

I wouldn't claim Native American ancestry unless you have some kind of connection to the culture (member of a tribe for example).

Reactions: 1 users

¿Qué?!

:whoa:

Reactions: 1 users
Language skills?
Evidence of commitment to service?

Right now I can speak Spanish well enough to understand patients, but wouldn't be able to write orders without a ton of grammatical errors. Is verbal communication the only relevant factor? Also, most of my language skills are conversational and I would have to learn the necessary medical terminology, but i don't anticipate that being a problem with 4 years of time during med school to improve my Spanish.

Commitment to service? You better believe it. The latino community is very important to me. I would love to give my latin patients a role model to look up to and know that with hard work anything in life is possible. I came from a humble middle class family and my parents were outstanding loving people. These latin families can see me as a leader by example for the entire community. To see that if they raise their children right, like my parents raised me right, they can be happy and successful.

This is my wish to be in that type of position to help a struggling community of people who need a hero. And all I see in my undergrad (and I think the AMA knows this otherwise why acknowledge it with URM slots?) are asian and white students. Where are the latin guys (or even girls) to become doctors and work hard for the community? I grew up in Long Island (Mineola) but would love to work in Corona NY where there is a huge latino community that needs a hero.

Right now I can speak Spanish well enough to understand patients, but wouldn't be able to write orders without a ton of grammatical errors. Is verbal communication the only relevant factor? Also, most of my language skills are conversational and I would have to learn the necessary medical terminology, but i don't anticipate that being a problem with 4 years of time during med school to improve my Spanish.

Commitment to service? You better believe it. The latino community is very important to me. I would love to give my latin patients a role model to look up to and know that with hard work anything in life is possible. I came from a humble middle class family and my parents were outstanding loving people. These latin families can see me as a leader by example for the entire community. To see that if they raise their children right, like my parents raised me right, they can be happy and successful.

This is my wish to be in that type of position to help a struggling community of people who need a hero. And all I see in my undergrad (and I think the AMA knows this otherwise why acknowledge it with URM slots?) are asian and white students. Where are the latin guys (or even girls) to become doctors and work hard for the community? I grew up in Long Island (Mineola) but would love to work in Corona NY where there is a huge latino community that needs a hero.
This is how I read this: so you want to make it big via medicine to be a seen as a hero. And this can be also achieved by say, being a lawyer, an investment bankers or any job that pays big.

Ok

Reactions: 7 users
This is how I read this: so you want to make it big via medicine to be a seen as a hero. And this can be also achieved by say, being a lawyer, an investment bankers or any job that pays big.

Ok

No, the patients will see a person who found his calling in life and loves what he is doing. A person who is taking care of the health of a countless number people probably on welfare and medicaid. I've seen doctors who do take care of the poor (latin, white, asian) and they are all heroes.
The last thing I am about is money. I'd pursue a career in medicine if the top salary was 5 figures and it had the same high standards and barriers to entry.
And leadership by example is the most important message to convey. You have to be a leader before you can become a hero to anyone, let alone an entire community.

Substitute "white coat" for "cape."

c658f860bc8ebf7f3ab69e3a38638032

Reactions: 6 users
*sigh*

What the wise gyngyn was asking is "do you have any evidence of service to Latin (or other underserved) communities?"

Any fool can talk the talk. Med schools want you to walk the walk.

You're not URM, BTW.

Reactions: 9 users
No, the patients will see a person who found his calling in life and loves what he is doing.

Patients are fickle. Some of them don't like doctors and will never trust one because their Xth cousin Y times removed died of a terminal illness after not taking his meds. If you're in it for how you will look to other people you're in for a bad time. Forget about being a hero and try just doing good—most of the time, you don't get to choose whether you're a hero.

Also, saying "you better believe it" as evidence of commitment to helping others is not exactly what many MD gatekeepers are looking for.

Reactions: 5 users
I think you'd benefit a lot from gaining more clinical exposure and shadowing. you're rather light on volunteering and service, and your idealism and entitlement reflects a lack of maturity or real understanding of the medical profession.

as others have mentioned, what you've written suggests an intentional exploitation of your heritage for admissions gain. perhaps you don't mean it to be so, but it won't reflect well in your writing or interviewing later on.

Reactions: 4 users
MCAT 510+ and Good ECS=MD
otherwise, difficult . Also have a person who knows what they are doing look over your essays, based on your writing style you could turn off a lot of reviewers. I have have cringed a few times just reading your responses.

Last edited:
Looking back at my post I realize it was more discouraging than helpful (sorry, I know you didn't come here for that), although honestly that was my reaction after reading much of what you've written here. Reading the first half of your first post I thought that yes, you have a fine application so far. The rest of your posts in the thread made me feel the same way as @libertyyne. I totally agree about having someone experienced read over your application. Good luck.

OP, you've gotten some great advice.

Question: It says you're EMT licensed and will have 2 years experience. Are you currently working as an EMT? Are you volunteering as an EMT anywhere? Are you volunteering in hospital ERs? Free clinics serving the disadvantaged? Christian missions?

What clubs and activities are you involved in? What are you doing and what have you done outside of your grades? Is any of that tied to helping the poor and Latino communities? What ECs are you involved with outside of your summers? I believe that's what gyngyn meant with commitment to service. "You'd better believe it" isn't the type of response adcoms want to hear.

The reason the snarky devil in me came out is because of the way you express yourself. Moreover, as a URM who is sick of seeing people trying to game the system to get into med school, I was not in a helping mood earlier.

Witnessing your relatives go through racism is not very compelling. I honestly am not sure you've even been around Hispanic/Latino communities, as you yourself have said your undergraduate institution is mostly Asian and White.

So what makes you the future champion of all things Latino? And why medicine? Why do you want to be a doctor?

I third the motion that you should probably have several people take a peek at your personal statement. Maybe even some URM Latinos.

Last edited:
OP, you've gotten some great advice.

Question: It says you're EMT licensed and will have 2 years experience. Are you currently working as an EMT? Are you volunteering as an EMT anywhere? Are you volunteering in hospital ERs? Free clinics serving the disadvantaged? Christian missions?

What clubs and activities are you involved in? What are you doing and what have you done outside of your grades? Is any of that tied to helping the poor and Latino communities? What ECs are you involved with outside of your summers? I believe that's what gyngyn meant with commitment to service. "You'd better believe it" isn't the type of response adcoms want to hear.

The reason the snarky devil in me came out is because of the way you express yourself. Moreover, as a URM who is sick of seeing people trying to game the system to get into med school, I was not in a helping mood earlier.

Witnessing your relatives go through racism is not very compelling. I honestly am not sure you've even been around Hispanic/Latino communities, as you yourself have said your undergraduate institution is mostly Asian and White.

So what makes you the future champion of all things Latino? And why medicine? Why do you want to be a doctor?

I third the motion that you should probably have several people take a peek at your personal statement. Maybe even some URM Latinos.

No need to apologize, I appreciate all of the feedback, even the snarky messages. It just tells me that I'm coming across very poorly and either need to alter my communication style or get some help with my writing (not to jump the gun, since all of this is moot without a strong MCAT, though I'm confident that won't be a problem for me).

I received my EMT license last August and will be 2 years licensed by fall of 2018. I plan on starting work as an EMT this March, immediately after taking my MCATs. The capacity of service will be based on what will look best on my application. If being a volunteer EMT in poor latin communities looks better then that's what I'll do. That probably sounds really selfish, like I'm not sincere and only working with the underprivileged to help myself. I don't see why those two factors are mutually exclusive? Why can't I be doing it because it's in my best interest AND because it calls to my heart.

During undergrad (which I just officially completed last month) I solely focused on my course work, with the volunteer experience only coming during summers off. However, I hope to make my application stand out by utilizing this precious time off in the most effective way possible. After my MCATs in March is when I can put in a ton of hours to serve the latino community. I will happily make the drive (or take LIRR) from my parents home to Corona NY everyday to serve the less fortunate latino populous. I often see this community when I have attended NY Mets games at their home ballpark. They are in desperate need of good doctors and role models.

If i'm not considered as URM because I was not financially disadvantaged growing up then I understand, but my mother is 75 percent Mexican and 25 percent Cherokee (my grandmother was half Cherokee). I don't think it's reasonable to not consider me as URM because I didn't grow up in a poor community. If I was black and grew up with a rich father, would that also prevent being URM? If URM is only based on ethnicity then I must be considered as URM, since 50 percent of my blood is Mexican/NA, both of which fall under the URM umbrella according to AMA unless I'm mistaken. I'm not actively trying to give myself an unfair advantage or to exploit anything, I'm only trying to take full use of the URM status which I believe I have earned according to the AMA definition. If my sGPA was 3.8 I might not care so much about URM status, but lets face it my stats are not great and that puts me on the borderline.

I want to be an MD because I know I'm capable of helping a lot of people and not becoming an MD would be a waste of talent. I have the brains, the talent and the emotional temperament to be an outstanding doctor. I also have the heart. I'm not in it for the money. I wish they could hook me up to a lie detector so I can officially prove that the money is dead last on my list of reasons for this career path. First and foremost I want to help sick people, and I will prove this by working non-stop with the less fortunate latinos after my MCAT. Does it look bad that i've never multi-tasked? I hope not. i hope it shows I cared about my grades because i knew I needed a decent GPA to have a chance to pursue something I love. Now my focus is the MCAT, and then with my schoolwork behind me I immediately went to work full time volunteering.

It's just my opinion, but i feel like your exaggerating your experiences as a minority and looking at the system like it owes you something when it does not if you phrase your story this way it will be extremely off-putting to everyone you come in contact with-- even other URM's like myself. Don't look at yourself like a victim, if you succeeded through hard-ship you should see yourself as a warrior or something

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is just my 2 cents, but OP pick the identity that you feel suits you, be prepared to discuss its impact on you, and move on with the rest of your application. The impact of the "URM boost" is a big debate and is certainly variable on a case-by-case basis. Nobody here can tell you how to self identify, but we can tell you (and I think @Goro alluded to this) that if you come across as trying to game the system, you will absolutely not be looked upon favorably. I don't believe this is what your intention is, but going forward you have to be clear with your selection.

Otherwise, you should focus on clinical experience and nonclinical volunteering. I know you say you're preparing for the MCAT, but it could be possible to take a once a week volunteering opportunity to build up longevity in your experiences and demonstrate that all-important commitment to service. Your GPAs are not killer, and I suspect (with a 510+ MCAT) you'll see some love from SUNY schools and other mid tier MD schools if you can assemble a really well rounded application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's just my opinion, but i feel like your exaggerating your experiences as a minority and looking at the system like it owes you something when it does not if you phrase your story this way it will be extremely off-putting to everyone you come in contact with-- even other URM's like myself. Don't look at yourself like a victim, if you succeeded through hard-ship you should see yourself as a warrior or something

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I understand what you're saying and hopefully I can clarify my situation better by asking a question. Why was it important for Barack Obama to become President of the US?

It was important because it gave hope to the generations of Black people who were discriminated against and told they could never become anything of worth. Obama becoming POTUS was the ultimate measure of success. Not some NBA player or Rapper making millions, it was a Black person being the most important decision maker in the universe.

But the progress for latinos is where? I never saw a truly successful latin man. The rich latino men I saw on TV were drug kingpins or maybe some singer/actors. But why not POTUS? Why are we so underrepresented in the medical profession and other important careers. Where were MY latino role models?

I had to overcome being biracial and never quite fitting in. And now I'm in classes with mostly whites and asian.
When I am in my courses and surrounded by nothing but Asians and Whites it becomes disconcerting and lonely at times. Sure I can make friends but how about the fact that my selection for mates becomes nearly impossible? Eventually I want a latina wife who shares my career (not unreasonable desire IMO) and in the US medical profession they are few and far between. Meanwhile the asian and white men get their pick of plenty of attractive and intelligent partners.

IMO it would be ridiculous and against the AMA rules to not consider me as URM. Especially when they are not inside my mind and don't know the personal hardships I've face. The racism I've seen and experienced, the lack of latin women available to me. It's something I've learned to deal with but i'll be damned if I've had to deal with this and then on top of that they tell me I'm not URM. Hell no I'm not accepting that without a fight.

I understand what you're saying and hopefully I can clarify my situation better by asking a question. Why was it important for Barack Obama to become President of the US?

It was important because it gave hope to the generations of Black people who were discriminated against and told they could never become anything of worth. Obama becoming POTUS was the ultimate measure of success. Not some NBA player or Rapper making millions, it was a Black person being the most important decision maker in the universe.

But the progress for latinos is where? I never saw a truly successful latin man. The rich latino men I saw on TV were drug kingpins or maybe some singer/actors. But why not POTUS? Why are we so underrepresented in the medical profession and other important careers. Where were MY latino role models?

I had to overcome being biracial and never quite fitting in. And now I'm in classes with mostly whites and asian.
When I am in my courses and surrounded by nothing but Asians and Whites it becomes disconcerting and lonely at times. Sure I can make friends but how about the fact that my selection for mates becomes nearly impossible? Eventually I want a latina wife who shares my career (not unreasonable desire IMO) and in the US medical profession they are few and far between. Meanwhile the asian and white men get their pick of plenty of attractive and intelligent partners.

IMO it would be ridiculous and against the AMA rules to not consider me as URM. Especially when they are not inside my mind and don't know the personal hardships I've face. The racism I've seen and experienced, the lack of latin women available to me. It's something I've learned to deal with but i'll be damned if I've had to deal with this and then on top of that they tell me I'm not URM. Hell no I'm not accepting that without a fight.
v8ccqht.jpg

I'm also a URM and you sound like you feel as if you are owed something because you are a URM in a school full of other ethnicities. Not having a plethora of beautiful Latina women does not qualify as a personal hardship and frankly just makes you seem entitled. I would stop and ask yourself if you are doing medicine for the right reasons. Overall, focus on killing the MCAT so you can not have to worry about being URM or not.

Reactions: 17 users
the most important decision maker in the universe.

Eventually I want a latina wife who shares my career (not unreasonable desire IMO) and in the US medical profession they are few and far between. Meanwhile the asian and white men get their pick of plenty of attractive and intelligent partners.

IMO it would be ridiculous and against the AMA rules to not consider me as URM. The racism I've seen and experienced the lack of latin women available to me .

I just... uhhh... what?

this thread is super entertaining

Reactions: 14 users
I read the entirety of the board, and every single one of your posts resounded with the theme of "me, me, me", even when the subject was about service to others.

If you disagree, I suggest rereading your posts and the replies of others with an open mind and from a different perspective. If you agree, actively work towards a more inclusive mindset.

Reactions: 4 users
It doesn't really matter then how important it was. It is that he won that matters. He was and still is an amazing orator. I've always found his speeches enchanting. And national elections do have lend themselves some shades of the entertainment industry in that popularity matters, a lot. If he run again, he would've probably won. I would've voted for him too given the competition. You also discounted the fact that his team had amazing people who they worked way harder than the opponents' campaigns ever did. His win against Clinton was nothing short of a miracle. People tend to forget how close it was. It was possible not because he was black.
Facts only matter if I count them. 1st sign

I think you just have autism, and are quite racist.

I'm also a URM and you sound like you feel as if you are owed something because you are a URM in a school full of other ethnicities. Not having a plethora of beautiful Latina women does not qualify as a personal hardship and frankly just makes you seem entitled. I would stop and ask yourself if you are doing medicine for the right reasons. Overall, focus on killing the MCAT so you can not have to worry about being URM or not.

I never said anything about beautiful. It would be nice if I had a wider selection of girls to potentially date. It was not only my undergrad, according to articles like this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8840730 I can expect the same lack of latina women in med school should I be fortunate enough to make it.

And there are plenty of latina girls at the college just not in premed classes, ergo there won't be many in med school either. Its not the most serious hardship but it should be obvious why something like this is a legitimate hardship others in the medical profession don't have to face. What about the tribal native americans who can't even have a preference but MUST date/marry tribeswomen. Do you think it's easy to go through med school with no lover? With no major support system?

I am willing to overcome and deal with all of this (I have so far) but I would like my trials and tribulations to get fair acknowledgement. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

I never said anything about beautiful. It would be nice if I had a wider selection of girls to potentially date. It was not only my undergrad, according to articles like this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8840730 I can expect the same lack of latina women in med school should I be fortunate enough to make it.

And there are plenty of latina girls at the college just not in premed classes, ergo there won't be many in med school either. Its not the most serious hardship but it should be obvious why something like this is a legitimate hardship others in the medical profession don't have to face. What about the tribal native americans who can't even have a preference but MUST date/marry tribeswomen. Do you think it's easy to go through med school with no lover? With no major support system?

I am willing to overcome and deal with all of this (I have so far) but I would like my trials and tribulations to get fair acknowledgement. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

not only is he racist...he's a chauvinist. You're gonna do great bud, keep up the good work. Def talk about this issue in your secondary responses.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm a little confused, and curious -- your parents are of two different races, is there a specific reason why you are unwilling to date someone of another race? If its just personal preference, I can understand, but I was wondering if there is a deeper reason as you seem to be very serious about it.

Reactions: 7 users

If i'm not considered as URM because I was not financially disadvantaged growing up then I understand, but my mother is 75 percent Mexican and 25 percent Cherokee (my grandmother was half Cherokee). I don't think it's reasonable to not consider me as URM because I didn't grow up in a poor community. If I was black and grew up with a rich father, would that also prevent being URM? If URM is only based on ethnicity then I must be considered as URM, since 50 percent of my blood is Mexican/NA, both of which fall under the URM umbrella according to AMA unless I'm mistaken. I'm not actively trying to give myself an unfair advantage or to exploit anything, I'm only trying to take full use of the URM status which I believe I have earned according to the AMA definition. If my sGPA was 3.8 I might not care so much about URM status, but lets face it my stats are not great and that puts me on the borderline.

18364.JPG

Reactions: 18 users

I feel ya. When I walk around NYC and Long Island, I'm astounded by the lack of latinx people. I don't know how you will ever find a latinx to date in NY.

You will be viewed as URM. No one is saying you won't be. It's your personality/view of yourself that is a huge turnoff. Do you really want to be a physician in order to be the first successful latinx? You've really never seen a truely successful latinx? For starters, the dean of one of your state med schools is a latino who went to Brown med and then did his residency at MGH. There are a ton of latinx physicians in NYC/Long Island. Not to mention the incredibly successful latinx in all other fields. You need to be really self absorbed to not even realize that we have a latina supreme court justice.....

I do think you are trolling at this point, but if not, you should do a little bit of introspective thinking

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter then how important it was. It is that he won that matters. He was and still is an amazing orator. I've always found his speeches enchanting. And national elections do have lend themselves some shades of the entertainment industry in that popularity matters, a lot. If he run again, he would've probably won. I would've voted for him too given the competition. You also discounted the fact that his team had amazing people who they worked way harder than the opponents' campaigns ever did. His win against Clinton was nothing short of a miracle. People tend to forget how close it was. It was possible not because he was black.

Facts only matter if I count them. 1st sign

I think you just have autism, and are quite racist.
I'm a little confused, and curious -- your parents are of two different races, is there a specific reason why you are unwilling to date someone of another race? If its just personal preference, I can understand, but I was wondering if there is a deeper reason as you seem to be very serious about it.

First of all I have never made an intentional racist remark in my life. I have however experienced my mother being called a "beaner" and my grandmother was mocked by a group of preteens. So whoever thinks I am racist has it backwards.

Now when it comes to the URM status I am assuming this is 100 percent an issue of RACE?? am I wrong in that assumption? If this was an issue of economic status and background then they should label that as part of the category. Does a poor white boy have harder road to Med School that a rich black girl? Yes I'd say he does, so that should be acknowledged IMO. But I am not making up the rules here the AMA does, so don't jump at me for "taking advantage" of the system they created.

I AM Mexican and therefore I should have full URM status and every "advantage" that comes with it. Bottom line. I've dealt with racism, lack of male latino role models, lack of mexican girls in my classes.

The reason I will only date latinas is because I love everything about them and that is my preference. I like their looks the best, I like the food, the dancing ability, and the roots of our heritage. I would never have any of that in common with a white, black or asian person. And i'm not going to settle for a time consuming relationship I don't want. It's like if I went on a diet I'm not going to cheat on my diet with some fast food. If I'm going to cheat i'm going to do it right with a fatty juicy steak and a piece of delicious cheesecake. If I'm going to sacrifice my study time in a committed relationship it has to be with someone worth my time that I can see a future with. That is only going to be latina girls.

I feel ya. When I walk around NYC and Long Island, I'm astounded by the lack of latinx people. I don't know how you will ever find a latinx to date in NY.

You will be viewed as URM. No one is saying you won't be. It's your personality/view of yourself that is a huge turnoff. Do you really want to be a physician in order to be the first successful latinx? You've really never seen a truely successful latinx? For starters, the dean of one of your state med schools is a latino who went to Brown med and then did his residency at MGH. There are a ton of latinx physicians in NYC/Long Island. Not to mention the incredibly successful latinx in all other fields. You need to be really self absorbed to not even realize that we have a latina supreme court justice.....

I do think you are trolling at this point, but if not, you should do a little bit of introspective thinking

I'm not trolling but I am saying things I probably would not admit in public. Or at least I'd find a much better way of expressing myself. I do feel that on here it's okay for me to express my raw true emotions.

I probably should have just said that I have not personally had ANY latino male role models in my life because they are few and far between. I did have a "latin" ENT who was cuban. That was it. And truth be told he sucked. When I needed an FESS operation I went to a Jewish ENT who rocked.

I'm getting strong whiff of one of these. My sinuses are starting to leak;

8.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.