Any chance at 2018 MD class with these stats and being URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting strong whiff of one of these. My sinuses are starting to leak;

8.jpg

This will also help

88628-Troll-Spray.png

I think OP needs some serious self-reflection

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all I have never made an intentional racist remark in my life. I have however experienced my mother being called a "beaner" and my grandmother was mocked by a group of preteens. So whoever thinks I am racist has it backwards.

Now when it comes to the URM status I am assuming this is 100 percent an issue of RACE?? am I wrong in that assumption? If this was an issue of economic status and background then they should label that as part of the category. Does a poor white boy have harder road to Med School that a rich black girl? Yes I'd say he does, so that should be acknowledged IMO. But I am not making up the rules here the AMA does, so don't jump at me for "taking advantage" of the system they created.

I AM Mexican and therefore I should have full URM status and every "advantage" that comes with it. Bottom line. I've dealt with racism, lack of male latino role models, lack of mexican girls in my classes.

The reason I will only date latinas is because I love everything about them and that is my preference. I like their looks the best, I like the food, the dancing ability, and the roots of our heritage. I would never have any of that in common with a white, black or asian person. And i'm not going to settle for a time consuming relationship I don't want. It's like if I went on a diet I'm not going to cheat on my diet with some fast food. If I'm going to cheat i'm going to do it right with a fatty juicy steak and a piece of delicious cheesecake. If I'm going to sacrifice my study time in a committed relationship it has to be with someone worth my time that I can see a future with. That is only going to be latina girls.
People are saying you are gaming the system because it sounds like you are pretending to want to serve the URM community just to look good on paper and then when you talk about helpg URMs you make it sound like you are some miraculous savior coming to lift them out of their misery.

Being URM alone is enough to get you an AA boost. You don't need a dramatic story, but if you create a narrative that sounds insincere (which you have been throughout this thread) it will negate the AA benefit. Don't force stories. Be honest about what has influenced you and if you exaggerate thing, have the evidence to back it up so that it doesn't sound like an exaggeration

Members don't see this ad :)
can u perhaps link me where they are included in the AAMC definition? Looking at the 2016 report:

http://www.aamcdiversityfactsandfigures2016.org/report-section/section-2/

It seems they are not disaggregated as a standard from the "Asian" category? Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

They stated in this link they are grouped together because their sample size is small, not because they felt they met the definition.

Here is another link stating in 2003 showing Native Hawaiians being apart of this group (changed again in 2004 to be more all encompassing). The problem is this group of ethnicities are not that visible, so the AAMCs gives these weird designations to them.

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

Reactions: 1 user
People on here have been telling me i am not URM because I am half central American. But I have sub par stats with a 3.3 gpa and 511 MCAT and have 7 interviews and one acceptance already, so I do not think that these peoples opinions on URM status is accurate.

People on here have been telling me i am not URM because I am half central American. But I have sub par stats with a 3.3 gpa and 511 MCAT and have 7 interviews and one acceptance already, so I do not think that these peoples opinions on URM status is accurate.
Of course. People are just citing AAMC suggested guidelines. AAMC uses the guidelines as encouragement for schools, but schools decide for themselves what is URM and many schools don't differentiate between different latinx populations and lump everyone into one category.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah and you really start to believe it when respected SDN posters like gyngyn or goro voice this opinion to

You sound like a person who is ashamed of who you really are(being part white), and desperately want to be accepted and fit in with the people who really have dealt with serious race issues throughout their lives. Being URM isn't defined by how many racist remarks you've heard or witnessed and while you've heard a few i sure hope that those uneducated kids haven't traumatized you for the rest of your life. You are classified as URM if you are latino/native, and can designate it, but with the attitude you have you'll continued to be an outcast.

Also medical schools like URM's because they tend to help and serve and communicate with others especially those who look like them. Without any service to the latino community they won't care for you too much.

Also Obama becoming president had no influence on my decision to pursue an MD, his persona influences me but he isnt in my field.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I was going to suggest that despite preferences of attraction, it might be a good idea to open your mind to dating possibilities outside your race. There is so much you can learn from other cultures, and different perspectives -- everyone has a unique background, and differences can be as valuable as similarities in a relationship. Caring about someone deeply in a romantic way goes so far beyond surface-deep sexual preferences. Often, you can find incredibly meaningful romantic partnerships with someone who is not the epitome of your 'type.'

However, if you feel that dating a black, white or asian person is equivalent to settling for fast food, then I cannot suggest dating outside of your race.

(All this said, I completely understand and empathize with those who date within their race due to familial or cultural pressures, as I know personally how difficult those pressures can be.)

First of all I

The reason I will only date latinas is because I love everything about them and that is my preference. I like their looks the best, I like the food, the dancing ability, and the roots of our heritage. I would never have any of that in common with a white, black or asian person. And i'm not going to settle for a time consuming relationship I don't want. It's like if I went on a diet I'm not going to cheat on my diet with some fast food. If I'm going to cheat i'm going to do it right with a fatty juicy steak and a piece of delicious cheesecake. If I'm going to sacrifice my study time in a committed relationship it has to be with someone worth my time that I can see a future with. That is only going to be latina girls.

If I'm going to cheat i'm going to do it right with a fatty juicy steak and a piece of delicious cheesecake.

If you're very into latino rights and representing an underrepresented group of people, you actually cancel that sentiment and goal out if you really think talking about women like this is OK. Plz stop with these derogatory remarks whether you are trolling or not, it's absolutely disgusting and. You do not belong in medicine if you view women this way.

And i'm not going to settle for a time consuming relationship I don't want.
If I'm going to sacrifice my study time in a committed relationship it has to be with someone worth my time that I can see a future with.

As if any latina would just date you instantly and it would be a match made in heaven from the moment she laid eyes on you...it would take zero work to date a latina because you share the same background? You have obviously never been in a committed relationship and don't know what it takes to be in one. It takes work to be in a relationship whether the person is black, brown, white, yellow, green, Mormon, Scientologist, or purple. Grow up.

First of all I have never made an intentional racist remark in my life.
I would never have any of that in common with a white, black or asian person.

Sound pretty racist and close-minded to me, dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If you're very into latino rights and representing an underrepresented group of people, you actually cancel that sentiment and goal out if you really think talking about women like this is OK. Plz stop with these derogatory remarks whether you are trolling or not, it's absolutely disgusting and. You do not belong in medicine if you view women this way.

As if any latina would just date you instantly and it would be a match made in heaven from the moment she laid eyes on you...it would take zero work to date a latina because you share the same background? You have obviously been in a committed relationship and don't know what it takes to be in one. It takes work to be in a relationship if the person is black, brown, white, yellow, green, Mormon, Scientologist, or purple. Grow up.

Sound pretty racist and close-minded to me, dude.

I really need to work on how I communicate with people because I don't understand how I've provoked some of these responses.

Say I was an orthodox Jewish girl and going to a Med School with less than 1 percent orthodox Jews. Do you think I'm going to have any dating options? What if the few orthodox Jewish guys in the class are dorks/ugly and not reasonable matches? And say I'm not a hook up kind of girl, so when am i going to find the time to meet a partner? I have to focus on my coursework and my schedule is busy as heck. So the perfect boyfriend would be a fellow student, but where is he?
^^ That exact scenario is what i'm talking about. It's not a male/female exclusive problem. It's a problem for URM that gets overlooked because people will say "oh, well you're studying to be a doctor and that should be top priority" Well duh, but I'm also a human who would like to find some quality partners.

For me I want a decent looking, intelligent and sweetie pie latina girl. That is not asking for too much but it sure as heck is going to be hard to find in any US med school. I know plenty of latina girls who fit my description but they are all going for nursing school. I shouldn't have to settle is my point.

But that sounds bad? I'm chauvinist for saying that? Oh really, Would it sound bad too if I'm an orthodox Jewish girl saying I don't want to settle for a male nurse but I want a fellow doctor. I don't know about you but that logic sounds reasonable to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you but that logic sounds reasonable to me.

lol then there lies the problem: if you think you sound reasonable, then there's no arguing with you. I shutter at that thought of someone like you becoming a physician one day. You, in fact, ARE a chauvinist. You're too wrapped up in your twisted way of thinking to allow you to not see that. I feel sorry for you. Good luck finding any girl that will put up with you.

P.S. med school isn't for dating, it's to train to become a physician. Love/relationships come naturally to those who are genuine. Why are you so worried about finding a mate?

Reactions: 7 users
Not all Latinos are URM.

Trying to play the Native American card will lead to lots of IIs and lots of rejections unless you can show off a tribal membership card AND show evidence of commitment to the NA community.

As a URM Latino I have been told by some advisors that I am in a much more advantageous and favorable position than whites/asians. In fact I can probably argue for Native American heritage too since my maternal grandmother was Cherokee.

So OP can do this:

1. Google local native american communities
2. figure out how to volunteer with them
3. tell adcoms during interviews

And even more important, get a tribal membership card.

Volunteering with any group that is less fortunate than one's self is a good thing.

I fixed your post too.

So OP can do this:

1. Google local native american communities
2. figure out how to volunteer with them
3. write about it in applications

I don't think this thread is even about medical school anymore, looks like the real dream is to find a partner.

Reactions: 7 users
lol then there lies the problem: if you think you sound reasonable, then there's no arguing with you. I shutter at that thought of someone like you becoming a physician one day. You, in fact, ARE a chauvinist. You're too wrapped up in your twisted way of thinking to allow you to not see that. I feel sorry for you. Good luck finding any girl that will put up with you.

P.S. med school isn't for dating, it's to train to become a physician. Love/relationships come naturally to those who are genuine. Why are you so worried about finding a mate?

It's funny how many of my classmates make it a point NOT to date other med students. (Plenty of latinas there too..:rolleyes:). But you're right, OP is too preoccupied with outward appearances. He couldn't fathom dating an "ugly" non-hispanic girl, ever. He's the answer to everyone's prayers. What we have here is a huge ego problem. You shut yourself off and get so freakin' selective, you're the one who gets left behind and that has NOTHING to do with being URM or med school.

Is it considered urm if my dad is Mexican and my mom is white? For the majority of my childhood my mom who is really the only parent I had received government assistance.

the heck has this thread become :rofl:

I'm not "worried" but it would be nice to have that option. I have a very strong libido and because I only date latina girls it's disappointing to know that in med school my options are going to be severely limited. It's something guys who are not URM will never have to think twice about. But please lets just end this discussion at this point I'm sorry I even brought it up.

My only concern at the end of the day is making sure I have my URM status and that I've properly taken care of my ECs. If anyone has any further advice for me about that topic I welcome all feedback and than you in advance.

For the record I don't feel any burden being Mexican American. Even if I am a URM I don't feel entitled to preferential treatment.

But the progress for latinos is where? I never saw a truly successful latin man. The rich latino men I saw on TV were drug kingpins or maybe some singer/actors. But why not POTUS? Why are we so underrepresented in the medical profession and other important careers. Where were MY latino role models?

Have you actively sought out Latino role models?!

Astronaut, scientists, authors, educators, doctors, journalists, more than a few actors, sports stars, and politicians, entrepreneurs, etc.

https://www.umhs-sk.org/blog/hispan...cientists-educators/Caribbean-Medical-Schools

http://doctorly.org/hispanic-doctors-making-history/

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2008201,00.html

http://www.aarp.org/entertainment/style-trends/info-09-2013/influential-latinos.html#slide1

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/01/the-top-hispanic-entrepreneurs-in-america.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans_in_the_United_States_Congress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Americans

Last edited:
I don't think this thread is even about medical school anymore, looks like the real dream is to find a partner.

Well I received the information i've needed (from good posters like 21push) and clarified my status as URM after being initially told (by Goro who is faculty so that scared me) that I was not URM. I know my sGPA is weakish so I need at least 515+ MCAT and that it's best to volunteer with poor communities. I think I received the best info I'm going to get already so at this point can pretty much lock the thread for all I care.
Dr. Kat ruined this thread for me that I don't even want to participate in it anymore. I am not the least bit chauvinistic and that comment has badly hurt me feelings.

The only unanswered question I have is about how DO schools and MD will be differentiated now that neither accept grade replacement and they appear to be the same in terms of acceptance criteria. Can someone please clarify that for me. Thanks.

Op, magnificent trolling.

Reactions: 10 users
Just read the entirety of this thread and all I can say is WTH? OP in my opinion is the type of role model Latinos do not need.

1. You will not be the first Latino doctor and Latinos do not need a hero.
2. You put your race on your back? Ridiculous.
3. What have you done for your race that is significant?
4. Latinos should have to work just as hard as everyone else.

Quite honestly you sound a little racist to me as well as extremely immature. As a fellow Latino all I can do is roll my eyes and feel a little ashamed of you, I feel like you are putting your own race down by insinuating that we are nobodies and we are prone to fail or that we need handouts for that matter.

Reactions: 8 users
The only unanswered question I have is about how DO schools and MD will be differentiated now that neither accept grade replacement and they appear to be the same in terms of acceptance criteria. Can someone please clarify that for me. Thanks.

DO schools are osteopathic.
MD schools are allopathic.

That's the difference. It hasn't changed.

I just................
...I....
OP..pls..no more. pls

I understand what you're saying and hopefully I can clarify my situation better by asking a question. Why was it important for Barack Obama to become President of the US?

It was important because it gave hope to the generations of Black people who were discriminated against and told they could never become anything of worth. Obama becoming POTUS was the ultimate measure of success. Not some NBA player or Rapper making millions, it was a Black person being the most important decision maker in the universe.

But the progress for latinos is where? I never saw a truly successful latin man. The rich latino men I saw on TV were drug kingpins or maybe some singer/actors. But why not POTUS? Why are we so underrepresented in the medical profession and other important careers. Where were MY latino role models?

I had to overcome being biracial and never quite fitting in. And now I'm in classes with mostly whites and asian.
When I am in my courses and surrounded by nothing but Asians and Whites it becomes disconcerting and lonely at times. Sure I can make friends but how about the fact that my selection for mates becomes nearly impossible? Eventually I want a latina wife who shares my career (not unreasonable desire IMO) and in the US medical profession they are few and far between. Meanwhile the asian and white men get their pick of plenty of attractive and intelligent partners.

IMO it would be ridiculous and against the AMA rules to not consider me as URM. Especially when they are not inside my mind and don't know the personal hardships I've face. The racism I've seen and experienced, the lack of latin women available to me. It's something I've learned to deal with but i'll be damned if I've had to deal with this and then on top of that they tell me I'm not URM. Hell no I'm not accepting that without a fight.

LMAO it sounds like you're blaming your lack of social and sex life on race when it's probably due to being socially inept (lot of evidence in your posts for this). When you don't get into med school you'll probably blame it on race too.

cGPA - 3.67
sGPA - 3.45 (no re-takes yet...science gpa can bump to 3.6 if retake Gen chem 1 and Gen physics 2 and pull A in both)
MCAT - taking in March
ALL courses taken at SUNY schools (5 year undergrad career....5 withdraws on transcript for missing one semester after Grandma died and could not focus so I withdrew. In fact my grandmother passing sparked my interest in medicine and facilitated my decision to go for med school)
Major(s): Economics and Philosophy
Minor(s): Bio and Chemistry
Research: Zip/Zilch
Volunteer: approx 200 hours at NY Presbyterian (during summers home)
EMT licensed (would have 2 years experience by fall 2018)

As a URM Latino I have been told by some advisors that I am in a much more advantageous and favorable position than whites/asians. In fact I can probably argue for Native American heritage too since my maternal grandmother was Cherokee.

Few Questions:

What is the best URM for affirmative action help? Black, Hispanic or Native American?

Is it very bad that I've never done research in any field?

How much will my chance at MD school be reliant upon my MCAT? Do I need an exceptional score with my stats and background? Would an average score suffice?

My upward trend has taken me from a low point of 2.9 sGPA to current 3.45.

Gen Chem 1: B
Gen chem 1 Lab: B+

Gen Chem 2: B-
Gen Chem 2 lab: A-

Orgo 1: A+
Orgo 1 Lab: A

Orgo 2: A-
Orgo 2 Lab: A

Bio 1: B (lab inclusive)
Bio 2: A- (lab inclusive)

Physics 1: A
Physics 1 Lab: B+

Physics 2: B
Physics 2 Lab: B

Biochem: B+
Biochem lab: A-

MicroBio: A
Microbio Lab: A

Calc 1: B
Calc 2: C+
(math is my weakest subject. For me it's way more difficult than non-calc based physics or orgo. Granted I took non-calc based physics.)

Thanks for taking time to answer I appreciate all feedback.
Impossible to say without MCAT. Black is the most helpful URM category, statistically, but one can be both black and Hispanic, so there's the chance for double points there I guess. Without a MCAT score, your chances are impossible to determine. If you get a 520, 100%, if you get a 490, 0%, and anywhere in between.

I really need to work on how I communicate with people because I don't understand how I've provoked some of these responses.

Say I was an orthodox Jewish girl and going to a Med School with less than 1 percent orthodox Jews. Do you think I'm going to have any dating options? What if the few orthodox Jewish guys in the class are dorks/ugly and not reasonable matches? And say I'm not a hook up kind of girl, so when am i going to find the time to meet a partner? I have to focus on my coursework and my schedule is busy as heck. So the perfect boyfriend would be a fellow student, but where is he?
^^ That exact scenario is what i'm talking about. It's not a male/female exclusive problem. It's a problem for URM that gets overlooked because people will say "oh, well you're studying to be a doctor and that should be top priority" Well duh, but I'm also a human who would like to find some quality partners.

For me I want a decent looking, intelligent and sweetie pie latina girl. That is not asking for too much but it sure as heck is going to be hard to find in any US med school. I know plenty of latina girls who fit my description but they are all going for nursing school. I shouldn't have to settle is my point.

But that sounds bad? I'm chauvinist for saying that? Oh really, Would it sound bad too if I'm an orthodox Jewish girl saying I don't want to settle for a male nurse but I want a fellow doctor. I don't know about you but that logic sounds reasonable to me.
I'm a homo. There are lot less gays guys in med school than latinos. I'm friends with all the gay guys in my class.....hooked up with one guy and then realized that it makes things weird when we are such a small group, so basically there is no one in my class to date. You know what I did? Met people elsewhere. If that is a big priority for you, go to school in a city. And Latina med students won't be impressed that you are a med student, so you would need to bring a lot more to the table if you want to earn her love.

MOST med students, no matter their race, have trouble finding relationships amongst their classmates.

And even if you think aren't chauvenistic, you certainly are elitist if you somehow believe you deserve someone better than a nurse (what does that even mean? A career is only one part of who person is, but whatever. You do you)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Fairly good troll we have here...in comparison to some of the others we've had. I'll give him a 7.5. :rolleyes:

Dr. Kat ruined this thread for me that I don't even want to participate in it anymore. I am not the least bit chauvinistic and that comment has badly hurt me feelings.
lol

i know, and I totally fell for it. I'm new to SDN, guys, guess I had to get the first (and last) out of the way:angelic:
Oh, it won't be your last, trust me! :p

I'm not "worried" but it would be nice to have that option. I have a very STRONG LIBIDO and because I only date latina girls it's disappointing to know that in med school my options are going to be severely limited. It's something guys who are not URM will never have to think twice about.

Entertaining thread and 5/10 troll...

Lol, what a mess.

I think almost everyone used the word "racist" incorrectly in this thread when it should have been "prejudice". I'm not going to preach on it (but, google!), I'm only mentioning it because it made giggle and realize that it's much like when people use "theory" instead of "hypothesis". Not interchangeable.

Lol, what a mess.

I think almost everyone used the word "racist" incorrectly in this thread when it should have been "prejudice". I'm not going to preach on it (but, google!), I'm only mentioning it because it made giggle and realize that it's much like when people use "theory" instead of "hypothesis". Not interchangeable.
Kind of like how the majority of people refer to Latino as a "race" when it is in fact not.

*facepalm*

I'm not "worried" but it would be nice to have that option. I have a very strong libido and because I only date latina girls it's disappointing to know that in med school my options are going to be severely limited. It's something guys who are not URM will never have to think twice about. But please lets just end this discussion at this point I'm sorry I even brought it up.

My only concern at the end of the day is making sure I have my URM status and that I've properly taken care of my ECs. If anyone has any further advice for me about that topic I welcome all feedback and than you in advance.

*slow claps*

*steps out of the shadows*

Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...

But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.

And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest ****post copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some sucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some **** that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards...

Ok just because OP is being a ****head does not give ANY of you a right to tell you what he/she can identify as. It doesn't matter if he/she is arrogant, is trying to game the system, has/hasn't in your eyes experienced what you believe to be the true disadvantages that come with being a target of "systemic racism." OP clearly has Mexican/Native roots and its bull**** that any of you are trying to tell him/her that using that to claim URM, no matter how douchy OP's comments have been (for the record, probably a 10/10) is unethical or in some way dishonest.

Last edited:
Ok just because OP is being a ****head does not give ANY of you a right to tell you what he/she can identify as. It doesn't matter if he/she is arrogant, is trying to game the system, has/hasn't in your eyes experienced what you believe to be the true disadvantages that come with being a target of "systemic racism." OP clearly has Mexican/Native roots and its bull**** that any of you are trying to tell him/her that using that to claim URM, no matter how douchy OP's comments have been (for the record, probably a 10/10).

Why is systemic racism in quotes as if it's fake?

Why is systemic racism in quotes as if it's fake?

It seems as this is an assumption intending to start conflict, no? Its not in quotes because I'm claiming it to be fake. A lot of my response was directed at this response in particular, specifically against the second sentence where Pepe18 implied, without knowing much about OP, that he/she was not a victim of such systemic racism as Pepe18 was referencing. I would have quoted this post to begin with but was having some technical difficulties doing it via mobile.

Idk if you are trying to troll, but you are not carrying a burden if you have Native American blood but have no associations with them. Many Native Americans grow up in areas devoid of any public support and lack the resources to get to med school because of a history of systemic racism. Native Americans students face legitimate disadvantages and trying to exploit their disadvantages for your own gain (when you don't even need to; your app is fine on its own) is distasteful. You are not carrying their burden. NA tribal organizations can also tell when people try to gain membership for school purposes and you likely will not be able to become a member.

It seems as this is an assumption intending to start conflict, no? Its not in quotes because I'm claiming it to be fake. A lot of my response was directed at this response in particular, specifically against the second sentence where Pepe18 implied, without knowing much about OP, that he/she was not a victim of such systemic racism as Pepe18 was referencing. I would have quoted this post to begin with but was having some technical difficulties doing it via mobile.

For clarity, not for conflict. I like that you were standing up for someone.

Last edited:
For clarity, not for conflict. I like that you were standing up for someone.
OP said that he had no affiliation with the NA community and that he was suffering a burden by merely know that there is NA blood in his veins. And that he then wanted to exploit the fact that he is partially NA for his application.

No one said that he has never experienced systemic racism, but he presents as Latino, grew up far from a NA reservation, has no affiliation with NA in his daily life so it does seem that he is not carrying the burden that NAs carry. OP then went on to say that he hasn't experienced racism from being NA, only Latino

As I said, OP may have been posting extremely off-putting, arrogant, douchy comments. This whole "burden carrying" nonsense that he/she is talking about is nonsense for the reasons you've pointed out. But URM quite literally means "Underrepresented minority," which Native Americans happen to be. If OP's grandmother was Cherokee, OP has Native roots. It doesn't matter that OP has "no affiliation with NA in his daily life" at ALL. OP can choose how little or how much he wants to identify with the Native culture present in his background/heritage, it doesn't change the fact that OP part Cherokee. You don't have a right to say OP is "exploiting" anything. He/she is part Cherokee, and therefore he/she is an "Underrepresented minority". Case closed, end of conversation.

What you are doing is similar to telling a well-to-do, light-skinned black American who lives in an affluent community that he/she has not experienced the prejudice and systemic racism that a Black American who lives in the ghetto may experience because their light skin means they "aren't really black" or because they don't struggle with things that Black Americans struggle with disproportionately, such as poverty, minor drug crimes and living in disadvantaged communities.

Both of these things are completely inappropriate and you have no place telling OP how he/she can use or take advantage of his/her cultural and ethnic identity.

As I said, OP may have been posting extremely off-putting, arrogant, douchy comments. This whole "burden carrying" nonsense that he/she is talking about is nonsense for the reasons you've pointed out. But URM quite literally means "Underrepresented minority," which Native Americans happen to be. If OP's grandmother was Cherokee, OP has Native roots. It doesn't matter that OP has "no affiliation with NA in his daily life" at ALL. OP can choose how little or how much he wants to identify with the Native culture present in his background/heritage, it doesn't change the fact that OP part Cherokee. You don't have a right to say OP is "exploiting" anything. He/she is part Cherokee, and therefore he/she is an "Underrepresented minority". Case closed, end of conversation.

What you are doing is similar to telling a well-to-do, light-skinned black American who lives in an affluent community that he/she has not experienced the prejudice and systemic racism that a Black American who lives in the ghetto may experience because their light skin means they "aren't really black" or because they don't struggle with things that Black Americans struggle with disproportionately, such as poverty, minor drug crimes and living in disadvantaged communities.

Both of these things are completely inappropriate and you have no place telling OP how he/she can use or take advantage of his/her cultural and ethnic identity.
So are you favor of the one-drop rule of old for all subsets of URM?
Should the AAMC require DNA reports for all candidates claiming URM status? How do you suggest them analyzing such report? And lastly, since the basis of certain bias toward URMs is the finding of better clinical outcomes when physicians can be identified with by the patients, do you think that we can predict clinical performance based on genetics?

Black American who lives in the ghetto
how he/she can use or take advantage of his/her cultural and ethnic identity.

ew, these phrases made me wince. He represents those that are, in fact, URM and "take advantage of" that fact and rely on it and have a chip on their shoulder about their race. This is exactly what NOT to do if you are URM because you end up being resentful and always seeing race in everything. These are all things you don't want in a physician, especially those representing a URM community. And plz, let's not say "the ghetto", that's just blehhhhh.

This isn't a race debate. OP is a douche that disrespects other cultures and women. Period. He will definitely use his race as a tool to get admitted to med school, doesn't mean it's right. You should be displaying your passion for medicine. And if you happen to be asked about challenges you faced because of your race in an interview, then go ahead and answer. I, myself, am "half-URM" and I was never directly asked something like that in my 13 MD interviews that I attended. Just be honest with adcoms, earn great grades, do well on MCAT, and you stand an equal chance at earning a spot at any med school.

The light-skin black person is not a good example because they would still experience systemic racism by nature of being black and they will still have a unique perspective compared to their classmates.

A good analogy would be a girl from my high school who presented as Italian and came from a very Italian family. When she applied to college, she all of a sudden revealed that she was 10% Hispanic and she applied as a Hispanic student. She ended up going to Harvard and received diversity scholarships. Do you think someone who grew up Italian will bring a Hispanic perspective to the classroom? (One of the purposes of AA) Do you think she is likely to serve as a role model and give back to the Hispanic community? (Another purpose of AA) Do you think her acceptance will help pave the way towards reducing systemic racism? She knew what she was doing when she decided to identify as only Hispanic rather than the ethnicity/culture she actively took part in her whole life

The NA tribes that I know of will not let you become a member right before you apply to college because they aren't stupid and don't want people who aren't interested in contributing/promoting their culture to just benefit from AA. OP applying as NA may take away opportunities from someone who NA AA was meant to help.

Or what if I were straight, only ever dated or had any experience with people of the opposite sex then I decided to identify as LGBT (bi) on an application in order to get diversity points. Would you not see that as exploitative? If you only identify as LGBT when it would serve to benefit you but never in any other situation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.