Any chance at all?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am from a top 15 school with a gpa of 3.58, but my MCAT was a 27 (8, 9, and 10) and Q. I was wondering do you guys think that I have any chance of getting into a med school with a MCAT score like that? Thanks ahead of time for your input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi, NUgirl. yes, the MCAT is a little low, but your GPA is very solid, especially coming out of northwestern. i graduated from NU as well a while back but my science GPA was nowhere near a 3.58 and i've gotten in. your exact chances will depend on a lot of things (e.g. state of residency matters a lot) but my experience is that it is well-understood how intense the pre-med curriculum at NU is, and it pays off in the end. having said this, i would still retake the MCAT--the 25 will be what keeps you out of some schools. aim for something 30ish. assuming the extracurriculars are in order, you'll be fine.

good luck to you!

Welcome to SDN! :D

There is a chance, but it would be greatly improved if you could bring up your MCAT score a few points. Also, you don't say if you are URM. An URM with those stats would almost certainly get in somewhere. Finally med school admission rests on many more factors than just GPA and MCAT scores. Essays; EC's; letters of recommendation; volunteer, clinical and research experiences all weigh heavily in the decision. If you were a real stand-out in one or more of those areas, it might compensate for the low MCAT. But really, why take a chance? The application process is unbelievably long, difficult and expensive. Why handicap yourself by applying with a marginal MCAT score? Best of luck. :)