Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I know this isn't much info, but that's all I know. If my gf has a 3.4 overall and 3.5 science GPA, has not yet taken the MCAT; has some volunteer work and shadowing, nothing yet dynamic but she's working on it and plans to take a year off before applying...is it really unrealistic to expect to ge tinto an allopathic school, or should dhe just concentrate on DO schools.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Psycho Doctor said:
I know this isn't much info, but that's all I know. If my gf has a 3.4 overall and 3.5 science GPA, has not yet taken the MCAT; has some volunteer work and shadowing, nothing yet dynamic but she's working on it and plans to take a year off before applying...is it really unrealistic to expect to ge tinto an allopathic school, or should dhe just concentrate on DO schools.

I say why not! I thought 3.4 was pretty good, no?

OP
Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
zahque said:
i'm in an allopathic school with a 3.3 overall and 2.9 science.
what school and what was your MCAT?

edit: oops I see you're at Albany Med; is that a SUNY? (please excuse my ignorance; I didn't apply there)

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
zahque said:
i'm in an allopathic school with a 3.3 overall and 2.9 science.
same here, it can be done. Try to finish strong (semester before applying), have good EC's, write a solid PS and submit early.

OP
Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
jammin06 said:
same here, it can be done. Try to finish strong (semester before applying), have good EC's, write a solid PS and submit early.
what was your MCAT? she may have a hard time ending strong with 2 semesters of orgo, biochem and other sciences still to take.

OP
Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Brickhouse said:
I say why not! I thought 3.4 was pretty good, no?
i'm just not sure; it seems like people get rejected with far better :(

LO281OK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
Status
Don't listen to these guys!! They only want to dilute the applicant pool by adding your type (those without 4.0 GPA & 36+ MCAT scores). You're best off cutting bait and finding another profession so that you don't waste years of your life only to discover what I am already telling you.

:thumbdown: YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO BE A PHYSICIAN!! :thumbdown:

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Psycho Doctor said:
i'm just not sure; it seems like people get rejected with far better :(
maybe it's because those people are A**holes?

doctorFred

intensive carer
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
, location, location!
Status
Attending Physician
Psycho Doctor said:
what school and what was your MCAT?

edit: oops I see you're at Albany Med; is that a SUNY? (please excuse my ignorance; I didn't apply there)
34L and no, albany isn't a suny school, it's a private college, although since i'm not a new york resident that wouldn't have mattered anyway.

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
a stone's throw away from reality
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
i don't want to start an argument here, OP, but maybe your gf should get a profile and start posting here? she'd be able to read more threads regarding how to shore up weaknesses in her application. it seems that you've asked quite a few questions on her behalf.

at any rate, many folks on here have posted their successes on gaining admission to allopathic medical schools with less than 3.5 gpa. it can be done with an upward trend in gpa, 30+ mcat, good LORs, good PS, blah blah blah blah blah...

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Psycho Doctor said:
not sure what you mean by just concentrate on a DO school. she's not applying yet...how would her strategy change at this point? are you saying she shouldn't give 100%? ...i think she has a great gpa, might as well try real hard for a great mcat and go from there.

ForbiddenComma

Tanned for Bowling
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Some schools weight MCATs more than GPA, and vice versa. She should just take the test, see her results and then go from there. It is very possible to get in with a substandard GPA if you have a superior MCAT, along with other mitigating factors such as LORs, experience and a good interview.

frootloop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a 3.4 cum, 3.2 bcpm, and I was accepted to 3 MD program (out of 4 interviews). She will need a solid MCAT (at least 30) and some sort of well-crafted justification for her sub-par grades but it can be done! ;)

cbennett

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Psycho Doctor said:

Oh You will get in with no problem if you answer yes to the question below

Are you black, hispanic, na???

Your answer to this ? will also be the adcom's answer to accepting you as sick as this is. It is true because you are a boarderline applicant for md schools.

cbennett

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
frootloop said:
I had a 3.4 cum, 3.2 bcpm, and I was accepted to 3 MD program (out of 4 interviews). She will need a solid MCAT (at least 30) and some sort of well-crafted justification for her sub-par grades but it can be done! ;)
What race/sex are you?

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
cbennett said:
What race/sex are you?
Both your statements are very obnoxious and I am white. Please do not take away from the hard work of URM's. Thanks :luck:

InfraMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
what was your MCAT? she may have a hard time ending strong with 2 semesters of orgo, biochem and other sciences still to take.
No, that is her perfect opportunity to finish strong and show the admissions committee that she can do that kind of work.

I am in an allopathic school (accepted to both schools I applied to) and I had a 3.0 overall, 3.6 science GPA. 33 MCAT, though. And I am a white male for those who care.

But I have classmates with 25 MCATs. Just apply everywhere.

LJDHC05

Former Chicken Slayer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Status
Medical Student
3.34 Science and 3.35 overall and a 34 MCAT got me in

jennie 21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2003
Princeton
Visit site
Status
Depends on many other factors...MCAT, what college she went to, if she has any publications or other outstanding accomplishments, and where she is applying among others.

I am a 4th year at NYU. I got in with a 3.3 overall/3.1 science, but that was coming from an Ivy league school with a 38-40Q on the MCAT. I had a strong upward trend with about a 3.8 average for my senior year, so by the time I matriculated my GPA was 3.4 overall/3.3 science. I also was admitted off the waitlist. I didn't apply to any less competitive schools or my state schools, only to "dream" schools, because I planned to reapply the next year (with a higher GPA and good upward trend) if I didn't get in the first time. It totally depends on where you apply, I think if I'd applied to some less-competitive schools I would have gotten in right away rather than off the waitlist. Good luck to her, and encourage her to CRUSH the MCAT...if she does that she probably has a good chance at many places.

katrinadams9

Working class hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I got in with a 3.36 GPA. I was an engineering major in undergrad, so I think this factored into how they viewed my application.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Psycho Doctor said:
Given that the average GPA is about a 3.5, an awful lot of people must be getting in with 3.3-3.4. If she breaks 30 on the MCAT (or comes very close) the numbers are adequate for many allo places. But it's not all about the numbers so make sure she attends to the more subjective components of the process -- ECs, interviewing skills, good essays.

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
USArmyDoc said:
Both your statements are very obnoxious and I am white. Please do not take away from the hard work of URM's. Thanks :luck:
Thank you for this comments. But apparently some people think that the only reason we URM's get in is because of AA. Not saying it doesn't exist, and maybe that's why I got in considering my MCAT scores, but we all don't get in because of it. But that's beside the point here.
To the OP, 3.4/3.5 is pretty good if you ask me. But she might have to make up for it with a higher MCAT score/great LOR's/etc.

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
USArmyDoc said:
I don't necessarily think that cbennet was asking this question to be obnoxious. I think that maybe he/she was trying to say that URM's apps are looked at differently than the rest of the applications. But that doesn't mean that ALL minorities get it no matter what. But if that's not what he/she meant, then yes I agree with you that it is obnoxious.

itnstalln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Psycho Doctor said:
If she can finish as strong as possible it wouldn't hurt her one bit. MCAT in all reality, the higher the better. That doesn't mean you need a 30+ to get in, though again the higher she scores the easier it will be to get in. IMHO I think its possible to get into an allopathic school with a 3.4 overall. Another option is to apply to both MD and DO and just see what happens. For the DO application if she has retaken any classes they will only count the repeat grade, which will help raise her GPA a little bit.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
YES, look at my mdapps. Seriously, great chance.