Any chance at Cali or top 20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top UC, cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.95, MCAT 33. one year research, two summers of shadowing, good LOR, one year of volunteer in hsopital, Calif res.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think I should re-take my MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I should re-take my MCAT
Short answer no. Usually people who retake get worse and since your score is quite impressive I would not consider retaking, unless you think you can do SUBSTANTIALLY better.

Your ECs look to be pretty average. California schools seem to like candidates that stand out in some way. Outstanding leadership and nonmedical community service would be a good way to appeal to them, if you don't want to spend another year doing research and getting some pubs.

catalystik is right. you need to stand out some way to have a chance at UC's. I had better stats than you when I applied and have gotten rejections from every UC school except UCI (these are pre-interview). Don't retake the MCAT. 33 is a very good score. Even if you got a 38, though, I don't think it would still guarantee you an interview at any of the schools. You're much better of getting a paper published or something along those lines...

If I compare 38vs33 or publication. I would do the 38.

If I compare 38 vs publication AND outstanding leadership AND community service. I'd take the latter.

If I compare 38vs33 or publication. I would do the 38.

If I compare 38 vs publication AND outstanding leadership AND community service. I'd take the latter.

Honestly though, enough time can get you a publication. A 38 may or may not be reachable.