• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

nmakhija

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi so I am indian (asian) and Im applying to medical school this summer. Im planning on sending my application in around the second week of June. Unfortunately my volunteer hours are lacking and I just signed up to start volunteering at a hospital soon (will start about a month and a half before I send my application). I was just wondering if you guys realistically think i can get a spot in an MD school and I think I should get into some DO school but if you could give me your opinion on how many you think I can get into that would be helpful. Here are my stats:
University of Wisconsin -Madison
3.6 cGPA and about 3.6 science GPA
30 on MCAT 11 P 12V 7B Essay: O
Economics Major
50 volunteer hours at local hindu temple
Research for summer 10 hours a week through chemistry department
Research for summer 10 hours a week through outside university on ergonomics that was published
I have many other volunteer groups but they were all started or start withing 1.5 - 2.5 months before my application will be sent in:
Active member/volunteer of
PAVE group about 20 hours
Nursing home 30 hours
Shadowing physicians 50 hours
Hospital volunteer 40 hours

About the Ads

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
DO should not be considered a sure thing. You will still have to demonstrate that you understand DO mantra and ascribe to the way of thinking. MD schools will want to see more volunteering and clinical stuff, but your stats are well within range for many schools. Apply broadly

Jamie561

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
Status (Visible)
Hi so I am indian (asian) and Im applying to medical school this summer. Im planning on sending my application in around the second week of June. Unfortunately my volunteer hours are lacking and I just signed up to start volunteering at a hospital soon (will start about a month and a half before I send my application). I was just wondering if you guys realistically think i can get a spot in an MD school and I think I should get into some DO school but if you could give me your opinion on how many you think I can get into that would be helpful. Here are my stats:
University of Wisconsin -Madison
3.6 cGPA and about 3.6 science GPA
30 on MCAT 11 P 12V 7B Essay: O
Economics Major
50 volunteer hours at local hindu temple
Research for summer 10 hours a week through chemistry department
Research for summer 10 hours a week through outside university on ergonomics that was published
I have many other volunteer groups but they were all started or start withing 1.5 - 2.5 months before my application will be sent in:
Active member/volunteer of
PAVE group about 20 hours
Nursing home 30 hours
Shadowing physicians 50 hours
Hospital volunteer 40 hours

Given your very recent involvement in volunteerism, shadowing, and clinical, i doubt you can construct a compelling narrative for your journey up to medical school. Without a good story, and with your low numbers, i'd say MD is out. DO is doable by the numbers.

Edit: 7 in BS? This is a potential red flag.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.