Any chance at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really comes to mcat scores. Assuming you score high enough on the mcat, you could be looking at mid tier schools. Score 30, you'd be lucky with a low tier but could still get in. The only way to answer this is to actually take the mcat. And if you PS is amazing it could do more for you.

Also you don't have any volunteering or community stuff? Just shadowing?

It really comes to mcat scores. Assuming you score high enough on the mcat, you could be looking at mid tier schools. Score 30, you'd be lucky with a low tier but could still get in.
I think that if you have a recent upward grade trend and some As in upper-level bio, it would make these outcomes more likely.

racing homing pigeons
I've never seen that listed before. Plus points for uniqueness!

Did you get your clinical experience by interacting directly with patients during your research? If so, that's fine.

Do you have any activity that highlights humanistic involvement?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the fact that you worked 40 hours a week during undergrad is going to help you ALOT. One of the doctors I shadow told me he admitted a student with a 3.2 from a high tier undergrad that worked just like you; and that was the primary reason thy were permissive about the GPA. Important to mention that she got like a 35 on the mcat

Last edited:
That's entirely up to you. Scoring that way on the mcat means the odds are against you, but I guarantee you won't get into an MD school if you don't try. You never know. Someone might read your app and think, "homing pigeons, oh man we gotta interview this guy." If it is worth the money to you to take that chance, go for it. The worst that happens is you don't get in and are out a few hundred bucks. Your call.

If you can get a 32+, I think that with the trumping power of your ECs, at least two semesters of good grades which it sounds like you have, and a good essay to explain junior year, your MD chances may exceed the historical odds of 51+% that such stats would suggest. I don't have confidence that your work hours will excuse your grades further, but we can hope.

You'll need to be an excellent test taker to get the exam scores that would make you a good candidate for the uber-competitive radiology residency spots that you want. The MCAT is just one more hurdle to get you there. With an MCAT score of 37, past applicants had a 68% odds of MD acceptance.

That's entirely up to you. Scoring that way on the mcat means the odds are against you, but I guarantee you won't get into an MD school if you don't try. You never know. Someone might read your app and think, "homing pigeons, oh man we gotta interview this guy." If it is worth the money to you to take that chance, go for it. The worst that happens is you don't get in and are out a few hundred bucks. Your call.

Thumbs up.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am fine with going to an DO school and love the philosophy but keeping my options open for any residency I want would be fantastic as well.

Here's to hoping for a 36+ MCAT!

Also, I am a girl :)

this thread made me google racing homing pigeons out of sheer curiosity.

The good thing is, there's nothing stop you from applying to both MD and OD schools in the same cycle. It would be a much harder decision if you had to choose but fortunately you don't! Depending on how your MCAT score comes out, I would apply MD.. If you were anywhere in the range of 30-37, I would still stick your name in at some MD schools. You really never know, if you write a great PS and the school just feels that you 'fit' with them, I could easily see you getting into MD with a 3.4. Working full time and having a health condition slow you down are pretty valid reasons for having a slightly lower GPA. Like someone else above said, if you get on the higher range of that MCAT range (35-37), you will definitely be in a good spot for acceptance at many great MD schools and it could happen even if you're in the low 30's,

Good luck and never give up!

edit: If you're interested in graphs of recent historical data for people with your same GPA/MCAT, check out this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

this thread made me google racing homing pigeons out of sheer curiosity.

If you are ever curious about anything you can't find on google, PM me. It is my biggest passion next to medicine. Haha

If you are ever curious about anything you can't find on google, PM me. It is my biggest passion next to medicine. Haha

seems super complicated, i wonder how you make your pigeon win? lol. I never knew this existed. Im going to try this just so I can put this on my app and say YEA YOU MAY OF RACED HORSES, BUT I RACED BIRDS.

seems super complicated, i wonder how you make your pigeon win? Lol. I never knew this existed. Im going to try this just so i can put this on my app and say yea you may of raced horses, but i raced birds.

lol

Last edited: