Any chance for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pleaseletmebemd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering what kind of a chance I would get with my stats in going into an MD program (I really want to go to my alma mater, UC Irvine).

Graduated with a BS in Bio
sgpa: 2.7
cgpa: 3.0

Postbacc with 92 units (basically retook all my lower division science and took upper division sciences that I haven't taken before)
post-bacc gpa: 3.93

Haven't taken my MCATs yet, but practice test have been giving me a range of 33-40.

Thanks for any forthcoming advice and/or critiques.

Members don't see this ad.

We need to know the total GPA for the combined undergrad/post bacc. Eyeballing it I'm figuring around a 3.3. Honestly, that's not likely to get you into any of the Cali schools. Since you don't have an MCAT to pair it with yet, (practice scores mean little, and almost always overestimate) it is hard to tell you if you're competitive in OOS schools. Have you considered DO? With grade replacement you're likely far more competitive for DO schools.

Also, without an EC breakdown we're kind of shooting in the dark. Good/Bad ECs can make/break an application.

If you graduated with 120 credits, then your overall GPA is 3.4. If my assumptions were correct, then an MCAT score of 33+ would get you consideration at OOS schools. If it's 3.3, then you'd want a 34+. The higher the MCAT, the more reasonable choices for application you'll have.

As ThaliaNox said, your ECs will be key to the amount of attention you get, along with LORs and a strong Personal Statement. If you are of nontraditional age with another career first, that would help too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luckily UC Irvine doesn't not seem as numbers focused as some CA schools (ie: UCSD). However, since your GPA is on the low end (based on the 3.3-3.4 estimate), you are going to need a strong MCAT as well as strong EC's, LORs, and PS to balance things out. I would really focus on strengthening these aspects of your application as much as possible prior to applying.

I'm pretty sure that cGPA, with post-bacc, will work out to be no higher than 3.15 to 3.2 when you consider the undergrad classes are probably 4x as numerous as his post-bacc classes.

With a 3.15ish GPA, you're going to have a very difficulty time getting into a US MD school, even if you do score a 40. However, it's possible. Make sure your EC's are incredible, score super high on the MCAT, and apply very broadly. If that doesn't work out, you can still be a DO--although your GPA is still pretty low for DO standards, but they may make an easier exception if your MCAT is as good as your practice scores predict. You can also go to a Caribbean school, but I'd make that a last resort.

I'm pretty sure that cGPA, with post-bacc, will work out to be no higher than 3.15 to 3.2 when you consider the undergrad classes are probably 4x as numerous as his post-bacc classes.

The OP did mention that it was a 90 credit post-bacc and if they got out of their initial degree on time, it was likely around 120 credits. I think the ratio will be closer than 4x.

The OP did mention that it was a 90 credit post-bacc and if they got out of their initial degree on time, it was likely around 120 credits. I think the ratio will be closer than 4x.
In that case, you're right. It'd be 3.3-3.4. I missed that part.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice/suggestions/opinions.

My bachelor's was completed with 190 quarter units, while my post-bacc was completed with 92 semester units. I guess that's 328 quarter units total? That basically brings my sGPA and cGPA to a 3.35.

My EC's aren't anything spectacular. I have 1 yr of research experience (not published), 400+ hours of hospital volunteer and 100+ hours of shadowing various medical professions. I'll also have strong LORs and I'll probably be adding more hours into my hospital volunteering during this year for next years application cycle. I'm planning to spend most of this year studying for the MCAT and does anyone suggest I keep taking more post-bacc classes? I know my GPA is terribly low so I'm hoping to pull off a 40 on the MCAT. And as someone said, UC Irvine doesn't seem like they are as number focused as the other UC medical schools so I hope that works in my favor.

I don't mind DO programs, but I would still like to get into Irvine.

Thanks again!

Oh yeah, after I graduated I worked for two years in the IT industry and only decided upon wanting to go into medicine after some personal experiences that affected me greatly.