Any chance for pedo?? Please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

my1molar

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think I have a shot for pedo spot??? Graduated 2008, Rank 15%, part 1:89, part 2:86. Currently working for a practice treating predominantly kids.

I'm looking for hospital based programs in NY, which pay stipends! AM I competitive enough????

Thanks for response,

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you have a chance. YOur numbers will get you in the door, the rest is up to you. Get real your numbers are competitive.

from one temple grad to another...you have better board scores than I do. You have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other thing in your favor is that 1/3 of the available residency spots in the country are in NY, so if you really apply to all the NY programs that have stipends, you'll have a LOT of positions you'll be applying for. Much better than being limited to 2 or 3 programs with 2 or 3 seats each.

I don't have connections whatsoever or have any knowledge about pedo programs in NY. Do you know which ones are good, i meant good enough for me to get in???

Thanks guys for helping,

Hey GalvinC are you doing pedo residency in NY too??? May I ask which one? How did you like it?

I'm at Stony Brook on Long Island. Residency has been fine. I've been busy and learned a lot, and am happy with the quality of my education. That isn't to say that it's been all roses--there have certainly been things I don't like--but I'll be a successful pediatric dentist and I love pedo, so it's all good.

With your stats, you won't have trouble getting interviews at most programs. It will be up to you as to how you rank them. If you are 100% sure that NY is for you, then I would apply to all of the programs that fit your criteria. You can always choose to not attend interviews if you want.

Hi GavinC. Thank you so much for your response. I don't know anything about those programs in NY, just know that i don't have to be much deepened in debt if i land on one of them. Is there any particular hard ones and easy ones? Any program that is really bad i should avoid? SHould I plan my vacation days visiting those programs???

Your Busted My1molar.....u want to do pedo now???

hmmmmmm.....when i went to dental school with you, it seemed that you were all about endo.......now its pedo? You never got involved with anything pedo during dental school..........in fact, I cant recall when I ever saw you in the pedo clinic and I practically lived there!

did your current job change your view or are you just looking to specialize? Since your so adamant on going to a stipend program, Im suspicious that the good ole dollar sign may be persuading you?

Admit it Le! Its the money, right?

Just to let you know Hau.....we get a lot of applicants like you every year, but with the boards going to pass/fail now, solid numbers are not as important to pedo than personality and your resume.

Trust me....cramming a bunch of health fairs, Special Olympics and Give Kids a Smile Days arent gonna put you over the hump, cause over 90% of applicants have tons of that stuff.

If you are truly interested in pedo, you have a lot of work to do!

Hey gupta,

I'm definitely slow in finding what i really want to do. I'm sure I will do a good job on whatever i lay my eyes on. Definitely, i don't go for pedo becoz i can't treat adults or do crappy dentistry !!!

Gupta, I do decent dentistry and a quarter Indian...Hook me up to LA, dude :p:p:p:p