Any chance in getting a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...pretty upset. Just found out I failed my Step 2. To top it off, I sent in my ERAS application without knowing that the Step 2 scores had come in that day so all of the places I sent my application to have a failed Step 2 score.

To top THAT off...I failed Step 1 but passed the second time around. I'm interested in family medicine. I'm afraid I won't get any interviews now.

I looked to reschedule my exam, and the next available exam is November 17. That means my scores won't come in until atleast the end of December.

I have no idea if I have any chance to get interviews. I keep kicking myself because I should have sent in my application without my Step 2 scores.

Any suggestions? Advice?:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey sorry to hear all that. I know for Family Medicine they generally still look at you with multiple attempts at step 1, but I'm really not sure about step 2. Maybe you can call some of the programs up and see if they are willing to put your application on hold until your scores come out? Some programs like to make a decision based on step 1 score and couldn't really care if your step 2 came back so each program is different.

C'mon, I can't believe its that big a deal. The steps mostly test how well you can cram in 4-6 weeks or so. In my opinion, they are not representative, nor is any exam, on how well one would do as a clinician.I mean, if everyone were to not study specifically for them, how well would they do? What if it was just a bad day, or something? Sheet happens.

I can't imagine that people actually get stuck without a residency! Um, you gotta do one! Med school loans? Career? And not just in primary care. So, why the big deal if you repeat a step, especially if you can do well on it?

Good luck!

C'mon, I can't believe its that big a deal. The steps mostly test how well you can cram in 4-6 weeks or so. In my opinion, they are not representative, nor is any exam, on how well one would do as a clinician.I mean, if everyone were to not study specifically for them, how well would they do? What if it was just a bad day, or something? Sheet happens.

The cramming statement might be slightly true about step 1, but not at all for step 2. The majority of US med students pass step 2 easily without more than very brief studying because they have learned all the clinical knowledge needed to pass during 3rd year clerkships. As for failing step 2, programs will probably see it as a rather bad sign regarding your clinical knowledge, but if you can pass it soon, you will probably have a decent shot at FM. I mean, there are so many slots in the scramble for FM, I can't imagine you won't find a single program willing to take someone that has graduated from a US med school. Knowing the difficulty you had on standardized tests in the past, you probably should have waited to take Step 2 until you didn't have to report it, but there's not much you can do now except get ready and pass it ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cramming statement might be slightly true about step 1, but not at all for step 2. The majority of US med students pass step 2 easily without more than very brief studying because they have learned all the clinical knowledge needed to pass during 3rd year clerkships. As for failing step 2, programs will probably see it as a rather bad sign regarding your clinical knowledge, but if you can pass it soon, you will probably have a decent shot at FM. I mean, there are so many slots in the scramble for FM, I can't imagine you won't find a single program willing to take someone that has graduated from a US med school. Knowing the difficulty you had on standardized tests in the past, you probably should have waited to take Step 2 until you didn't have to report it, but there's not much you can do now except get ready and pass it ASAP.

I was confused by his post, I wasn't sure if submitted it before he had his step II scores or not. Regardless, if he hadn't reported his scores how much better would this have been for him?

Also, if you have a problem with standardized testing, which this poster look like he does, then it doesn't matter your level of knowledge; you still have the chance to perform below your level.

Last edited:
I was confused by his post, I wasn't sure if submitted it before he had his step II scores or not. Regardless, if he hadn't reported his scores how much better would this have been for him?

Also, if you have a problem with standardized testing, which this poster look like he does, then it doesn't matter your level of knowledge; you still have the chance to perform below your level.

If he had not automatically submitted his score, he would have found out that he failed and then chosen not to report it to ERAS. He could have taken the test again and passed without having the failing on his ERAS USMLE transcript during his application. He would have had to pass Step 2 at some point, but it probably wouldn't have affected him so much.

In general, it is not a good idea to submit your Step 2 scores automatically, especially if you failed Step 1. I can't think of a reason why anyone would do this, regardless of Step 1 score. Our med school told us to not automatically send and instead send them once you see the score. Bummer.

I do think programs will be somewhat hesitant now, even some FP programs. You need to talk with your advisor AND the chair of your FP program. Talking with your FP program director would also help. However, I think if you apply broadly you should still be OK. Maybe you have an "in" at your institution. Or, maybe they'd be willing to talk to other FP PD's to help you out.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

In general, it is not a good idea to submit your Step 2 scores automatically, especially if you failed Step 1. I can't think of a reason why anyone would do this, regardless of Step 1 score. Our med school told us to not automatically send and instead send them once you see the score. Bummer.

I do think programs will be somewhat hesitant now, even some FP programs. You need to talk with your advisor AND the chair of your FP program. Talking with your FP program director would also help. However, I think if you apply broadly you should still be OK. Maybe you have an "in" at your institution. Or, maybe they'd be willing to talk to other FP PD's to help you out.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

Definitely a bad idea to submit automatically if you have already failed Step 1 (presumably suggesting you are more likely to fail Step 2). I just realized that OP doesn't mention if (s)he is US grad or IMG. Being an IMG who has failed steps multiple times would probably make things much dicier than if the OP is a US grad.

If he had not automatically submitted his score, he would have found out that he failed and then chosen not to report it to ERAS. He could have taken the test again and passed without having the failing on his ERAS USMLE transcript during his application. He would have had to pass Step 2 at some point, but it probably wouldn't have affected him so much.

I guess ERAS and the process still confuses me as our school really didn't explain anything to us and I have found out everything through other students and residents but I have a question: I knew that you had to "re-submit" your transcript after you had your new score and, if you had failed, you could just choose to delay this process until you passed it but, wouldn't the residency programs see that you said you were going to take them in, say, July but your scores aren't back yet? Also, don't they eventually get a whole report back saying that you took it on XX date in July and failed and then re-took on XX date in October and passed? Or is the failure not reported at all. Sorry for being stupid, I just don't want to give out the wrong advice.

Hi everyone...pretty upset. Just found out I failed my Step 2. To top it off, I sent in my ERAS application without knowing that the Step 2 scores had come in that day so all of the places I sent my application to have a failed Step 2 score.

To top THAT off...I failed Step 1 but passed the second time around. I'm interested in family medicine. I'm afraid I won't get any interviews now.

I looked to reschedule my exam, and the next available exam is November 17. That means my scores won't come in until atleast the end of December.

I have no idea if I have any chance to get interviews. I keep kicking myself because I should have sent in my application without my Step 2 scores.

Any suggestions? Advice?:(

Well... honestly Family Medicine is a little more forgiving. You may get a spot or you may have to scramble... but there are a lot of residencies out there that haven't filled last year and may not fill this year that are desperate for residents. There will be a place for you, just keep your eyes wide open for all options.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I wish you the best of luck.