Any chance in getting a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...pretty upset. Just found out I failed my Step 2. To top it off, I sent in my ERAS application without knowing that the Step 2 scores had come in that day so all of the places I sent my application to have a failed Step 2 score.

To top THAT off...I failed Step 1 but passed the second time around. I'm interested in family medicine. I'm afraid I won't get any interviews now.

I looked to reschedule my exam, and the next available exam is November 17. That means my scores won't come in until atleast the end of December.

I have no idea if I have any chance to get interviews. I keep kicking myself because I should have sent in my application without my Step 2 scores.

Any suggestions? Advice?:(

Members don't see this ad.

You will get a spot, but maybe not a great one. I know of some places who say that you must "pass in 3 attempts,with 2 prefered." So... you CAN easily get a spot as long as you pass.

Hi everyone...pretty upset. Just found out I failed my Step 2. To top it off, I sent in my ERAS application without knowing that the Step 2 scores had come in that day so all of the places I sent my application to have a failed Step 2 score.

To top THAT off...I failed Step 1 but passed the second time around. I'm interested in family medicine. I'm afraid I won't get any interviews now.

I looked to reschedule my exam, and the next available exam is November 17. That means my scores won't come in until atleast the end of December.

I have no idea if I have any chance to get interviews. I keep kicking myself because I should have sent in my application without my Step 2 scores.

There isn't much you can do at this point aside from take it again and pass. I have worked with many (greater than 10) residents who have failed one of the first two exams so the first thing is this: you aren't alone. Second thing: not all programs care about a step two exam before they issue interviews. I actually had my first six interview offers BEFORE my step two scores were even in; and I have average step I scores so they were basing it all off that. As for how competitive you will be, I don't know. I would apply very broadly but I would have applied very broadly given your history of a step I failure. I would also look into the reason why you keep failing these. Do you get anxious during the exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get a spot, but maybe not a great one. I know of some places who say that you must "pass in 3 attempts,with 2 prefered." So... you CAN easily get a spot as long as you pass.

Also, make sure you know your schools rules. I know DMU's policy is three failures and you are out of the program. After the second failure you are pulled off rotations. Make sure you know the policy and are prepared before you take it so as not to fail again.

Combank is a very good source in my own opinion.

Long as you had some good letters of rec from family or im docs saying you were a good doc that really cared about pts there will be a family residency that would be happy to have you. As was said apply broad and retake step 2.

I think you'll do OK.

I have a friend who failed Step 2 two times, once before his ERAS app and then once right before the match. Long story short, he matched into a strong academic internal medicine program in Michigan without a hitch. He was an average medical student and had good letters.

Best of luck!

I'm assuming you're an English-speaking American...you'll get a family med residency easily, just maybe not a choice one.

Dont let your work ethic waiver!! Use the disappointing score to push your drive to do better! We all know those score have NO reflection on the type of physician you will become it is proven there is absolutely no correlation. I know SEVERAL people that failed either Step 1 or Step 2 and found a good home for residency in the fields on IM and FP so dont waiver you will be FINE!!! also remember that EVERY year many many many programs go unmatched. There are wayy more spots than residents and luckily you are not going for super competative field that has fewer spots than residents so you will be FINE!!!! Just pass Step 2 and I have heard that Letters of Rec and how you do on rotations are looked at heavily anyways! GOOD LUCK!

This stings of course. But don't let it discourage you. Get proactive about contacting the programs you really want, and be prepared to explain what happened, that you've already have a new appointment to re-test, and that you're certain you'll do well the second time.

Go in with your game face on.

It's just a test. You passed Step 1, right? So you'll pass step 2 as well.

bth

I just re-read your post here. Did you submit your comlex transcripts before you got your Step II scores? If so then the programs never received your step II failure report. They would only know about your step I scores. You have to actually re-submit your scores. I don't know if this will make it better for you but your may get more interviews (without them knowing you failed step II) so you can explain to them in person.