Any chance? Need your help.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I wanna be a Cardiothoracic Surgeon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. My brother, who has almost become a Sr. in High School would like to follow the same path as I and go to med school. His GPA isn't too great, around 2.5, but has shown extreme improvement in getting his grades up (has a GPA of 4.0 for Jr year and is planning on keeping it a 4.0 during his Sr. year). I know he can get into a community college and start from there, but is there any chance that he can skip CC all together and go straight to a university? Him and I had a big discussion about what his chances were, but we never really came to a conclusion. He currently has his CNA license and he works at the local hospital, but doesn't have any extracurricular activities other then that to put on his application. What do you suggest would help him get into the university? Is it mostly his extracurricular activities or GPA or both? He hasn't taken the ACT/SATs yet, but we went and got quite a few books for him to study, and I know he can do very well on them. He's very bright, just was lazy throughout his high school career and had a hard time paying attention (recently diagnosed ADD). Thank you for all your help in advance, him and I both greatly appreciate it!!

If this isn't the right board to put this on, please let me know and I'll move it to Everyone or The Lounge. Sorry but I really havn't gotten used to this board yet, and I don't quite know what goes where just yet. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Well my HS GPA was around 2.7 and I didn't do well on my ACT test and still went to a University. Granted, it's a small state University but I did well enough to get into med school from there. I really wouldn't worry about it, plenty of people go to community college and then transfer to a University before med school. While it is very competitive, currently there's one slot open for every 2 applicants so your chances are 50% of getting into a med school somewhere, which is pretty good odds.