Any chance of getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royn4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
heyy
I have just finished my second year undergrad at a Canadian university, and i did alright, my only problem is that I did nothing in my first year and therefore my science pre requisites (bio, chem, physics) are realllllllly bad (around 2.3-2.5)
my overall GPA is not that horrible, its around 3.3
I still have two years left to boost my GPA up.. hoping to get around a 3.7-3.8 GPA for my next two years
so my question is... even if I have a good GPA (assuming i get 3.7ish in 3rd and 4th year) am i still screwed since i have a brutal science GPA?
I'm planning on applying to mostly American schools so if i could get some feedback on how important my science GPA is, and how much this will effect me that would be great
also, if i should bother retaking some of my science classes, and if so, how most schools view those retaken classes. do they just take the higher one, or average them out?
Thanks a lot :)!

Members don't see this ad.

heyy
I have just finished my second year undergrad at a Canadian university, and i did alright, my only problem is that I did nothing in my first year and therefore my science pre requisites (bio, chem, physics) are realllllllly bad (around 2.3-2.5)
my overall GPA is not that horrible, its around 3.3
I still have two years left to boost my GPA up.. hoping to get around a 3.7-3.8 GPA for my next two years
so my question is... even if I have a good GPA (assuming i get 3.7ish in 3rd and 4th year) am i still screwed since i have a brutal science GPA?
I'm planning on applying to mostly American schools so if i could get some feedback on how important my science GPA is, and how much this will effect me that would be great
also, if i should bother retaking some of my science classes, and if so, how most schools view those retaken classes. do they just take the higher one, or average them out?
Thanks a lot :)!

Just do well from now on. If you are worried about poor science GPA make sure you take more science courses and do well on them. Try to ace the rest of your courses. You can still pull the GPA to the target range so long as you pile up the A's. If you retake any science courses both attempts will be factored in the GPA calculation. Remember it is not the GPA that is calculated by your undergrad that dental schools go by but by the centralized application service, AADSAS.

Will you be taking science courses in your 3rd and 4th years? You will definitely need to bring your sci GPA to even stand a chance.

They'll avg out your GPA from all the classes you've taken even though they may be repeats. Although, I've heard of some people under certain circumstances were able to delete their old grades if they repeated a course (and dependent on their school system).

Good luck.